Start by marking “In the Woods” as Want to Read:
In the Woods

In the Woods

It should have been just another quiet night on the farm when Logan witnessed the attack, but it wasn’t.
Something is in the woods.
Something unexplainable.
Something deadly.
Hundreds of miles away, Chrystal’s plans for summer in Manhattan are abruptly upended when her dad reads tabloid coverage of some kind of grisly incident in Oklahoma. When they arrive to investigate, they
Published July 16th 2019 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about In the Woods, please sign up.
Carrie Jones I think because that was the original name? I'm not sure. I know I've asked my publisher to change it/fix it.

Start your review of In the Woods
Autumn
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC directly from Carrie through Patreon.

AND HOLY SH*T Y'ALL. TWO WORDS: PRE-ORDER.
description

That's technically one word isn't it? Oh well.

This book was not at all what I expected when I went into it, which means I should have known better because hello, it's Carrie & Steve. DUH. Based on the promos I've seen so far, I was expecting a creepy-as-all-get-out-keep-you-up-at-night-with-the-lights-on thriller type serial killer novel. Which I also would have loved.

description

Instead, what I got was an
Marie
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, arc
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Macmillan/Tor/Forge. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

Unfortunately, this book did not work for me. I had such high hopes since I expected a mysterious thriller, but this book let me down.

This book follows the teenager Logan who, during the summer holiday, helps out at his parents' farm in rural Oklahoma, where they live. After Logan witnesses an attack on one of the calves on his farm by a strange creature one night, this
Kelly Hager
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story was INSANE, you guys. It started strong, stayed strong, ended strong AND was completely spooky throughout. I don't want to ruin the mystery here, but it's something I'm not used to seeing in books (so NOT a vampire, then) and it was a really fun change.

I love how the chapters alternated between Logan and Chrystal, and how Chrystal was basically taking the Sarah Connor hero evolution route. I love her so much (and also Logan) and this needs to be a movie as soon as possible.

This
Taylor
I'd say this is somewhere between a 2-3 star read. It's not terrible, but I literally just read this and already it's starting to fade from my mind. It started out strong but the last third of the book seemed to lose steam. It's a very basic YA paranormal fantasy with a romance that was more tell and less show. Parts of it were fun, and I think I would have liked it more if the book were more gritty and the romance was flushed out more. Overall it's an okay but forgettable read.
Lindsay
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
In the Woods is an entertaining supernatural read perfect for lovers of cryptozoology. Chrystal and her father head out to Oklahoma to hunt down a mysterious creature that is attacking cattle and women. They meet the Jennings’ family and son Logan who was first to see the creature in the middle of the night. The attacks worsen and occur during daylight causing Chrystal’s and Logan’s families to work together to figure out what the monster is and how to kill it before another victim is claimed.

Ruth Klassert
if you’re in the mood for a unique Big Foot story, check our “In the Woods” by Carrie Jones & Steven E Wendel, narrated by Andrew Eiden & Karissa Vacker. I honestly didn’t expect to enjoy this enough to keep it let alone finish it but once the plot became apparent, I instantly fell in love with the concept, characters & writing style. I’m definitely happy I went with it even though I wasn’t completely sure about it at first - an absolutely perfect October pick!
Andrea Galbusieri
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
Not a fan of cryptozoology, but I really enjoyed this story and its characters.
Amber Bryant
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I preordered this book because I am familiar with Carrie Jones’ work. I dove right into it as soon as it arrived and am happy to report that it didn’t disappoint! The two teenage characters, Chrystal and Logan, are relatable and well drawn. Even when faced with the unimaginable horrors they encounter, their reactions are believable. Their budding relationship feels natural and is super sweet.

There’s definitely romance in the air in this book, but there’s also a monster, and the authors’ take on
Nannette Demmler
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
ARC provided by MacMillan Tor/Forge via NetGalley for an honest review.

This will be a hard review to write. I liked the book, I thought it was pretty good but there were some things that just fell a little flat for me. From the cover and the summary, you get the feeling that this is a straight up thriller mystery, but there is a supernatural element to what is going on. This might trip up some readers, but it is an interesting twist to this type of story.

I really liked Logan. He is a quiet
Ginger
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the Woods by Carrie Jones & Steven E. Wedel was a fantastic & exciting read. It's difficult to review without spoilers but I will do my best. The characters are great in their feeling of familiarity- it's like reading about your friends doing extraordinary things. The pace was perfect, giving you pieces of the story to latch onto and make you want to devour the book in one sitting so you can find out what is going on. There was some explanation near the end that I would have liked ...more
Jodi
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big Carrie Jones fan, so I was pretty excited to get to read an advanced copy of this new collaboration with Steven Wedel. I'm glad to say the book did not disappoint.

Caveat: THIS IS A SUPERNATURAL BOOK. I've read some reviews that were disappointed in it because they expected a mystery thriller, and got a story about a cryptozoologist's daughter and a boy who first spots a scary being in small-town Oklahoma. So if Bigfoot, werewolves, and the like are not your thing, this book probably is
Chantal
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm gonna need a book #2. Thanks! From the moment I started this one, I couldn't put it down.
Jessica (a GREAT read)
Carrie Jones and Steven E. Wedel’s In the Woods practically screamed READ ME the moment I saw the amazing cover! I’m a sucker for covers that have a woodsy atmosphere! The story itself also sounded amazing…something sinister and creepy lurking in the woods, kill animals and eventually people! It was all the makings for a great read…though the end result was a little less than great, but still pretty entertaining!

Chrystal is with her father for the summer as her mother and husband #3 decided to
Ashley
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
**Disclaimer: I received a free advanced readers copy ofIn the Woods by Carrie Jones and Stephen E. Wedel for review purposes through NetGalley and Macmillan-Tor/Forge. Thank you to them for this opportunity.

In the Woods by Carrie Jones and Stephen E. Wedel is a young adult horror novel that releases on July 16th. I gave it three stars on GoodReads.

Here is the summary on GoodReads:

New York Timesbestselling author Carrie Jones teams up with acclaimed co-writer Steven Wedel in this supernatural
Amy
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a story of monsters and true will, In The Woods is a suspenseful read that lurks just within the shadows. With two strong-willed teenagers that are willing to protect a family, and a town at all cost, along with a father’s blind quest for proof on Bigfoot and werewolves that takes his daughter right into the path of something perilous. On the search for answers, they all encounter something that cannot be human, causing deaths, which only means that this has to be the work of a monster. Told ...more
Yan Breheret
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-literature
In this book, Carrie Jones and Steven E. Wedel tell the story of Chrystal, who wanted to spend her holidays in New York with her mother and her new husband. However, when said husband invites her mother to a trip to Europe, Chrystal is left behind and spends the time with her quirky dad, who enjoys investigating cryptozoology in his free time. This time, a farm boy in Oklahoma has reported the sighting of a strange creature that ripped apart one of the farm’s cows. Could that finally be a ...more
Heather Mashnouk brandon
Bigfoot, werewolves, and teenagers, oh my!

Jones and Wedel weaved a scary but fun tale in their book, In the Woods. The reader will follow the heart pounding journey of Logan, a quiet but strong teenage boy and Chrystal, a smart and reluctant daughter of a cryptozooloogist as they try to save Logan's town from the vicious beast like creature killing livestock and killing women.

It is important for any adults that read this to remember this is a book written for young adults. I might even argue
Melissa S.
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was actually really good, I read some of people's reviews before actually diving into the book myself, and they set it up to a worse book then I expected. Yet, I actually really liked this book and I think some of the misgivings I had about reading this were wrong.
For one, a lot of people said this had insta-love, which I don't think it did. It had insta-attraction, which is normal, because some people you just already feel attracted to you from a first meeting. But their actual romance
Kimberly Dunham
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first YA book I haven't been able to put down in a long time. A lot of YA has moved away from fantasy toward real-life issues; this book blends the two beautifully.

I liked Logan more than Chrystal. He came off as more believable to me. He was shy, wrote bad poetry, etc. Basically, he was average enough to be real but interesting enough to keep me reading.

Chrystal was a bit too philosophical for me, and at times, overly confident. I had a hard time relating with her as a character. I
Kristin
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The plot of In The Woods starts off promising with a quiet evening in Oklahoma that quickly turns horrific. Logan is just a simple farm boy who gazes into the night sky and writes poetry. That is until a monster arrives on his farm and threatens his entire town.

From there, we get a glimpse of small town life, as the men band together to hunt down the beast and the women stay safely inside. And as more bad things happen and reporters show up to gather bits of news, Chrystal soon finds herself
Isha Narang
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chrystal wanted to spend her summer in New York, but instead, her mother blew her off to go to Europe, leaving her to spend the summer monster hunting with her father in the middle of nowhere. Logan was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. He watched the creature tear the head off of a cow. Now, everyone wants to know about the Bigfoot he saw. He and Chrystal hit it off right away. When women start disappearing they must work together to stop the beast before Chrystal or Logan's sisters ...more
Sunshine
Sep 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This book reads like a cheesy syfy movie. It was
not bad, the mystery was pretty okay; even though
I guessed who the evil guy was from the beginning,
the story was decent. I will say that the writing is very,
very, very simple and it's weird how everyone
just accepts what's happening without skepticism.
I kept thinking that was weird, no one and I mean NO
ONE, thinks it's weird that a (view spoiler). To me this
was super bizarre, but I guess that's
 Reading Divergence
IN THE WOODS is awesome! I totally adored this reading. Sure I'm in the Senior category, but I can still enjoy an exquisitely- written YA and IN THE WOODS certainly qualifies.

Level-headed adolescent Chrystal is dragged along on her cryptozoologist Dad's sudden trip to Eastern Oklahoma, in the Ozarks, following a supposed Bigfoot sighting. A seventeen-year-old farm boy/poet spotted the creature, which proves to be a far more dangerous predator. In the midst of grave danger and multiple fataties,
Samantha
Nov 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, ya-2019
This book alternates between Chrystal and Logan's perspectives, as they investigate what Logan saw one night on his Oklahoma farm. I appreciated the small-town perspective, where getting lights requires traveling to a city hours away when the local hardware store ends up running out. I liked the way Chrystal was determined to save her family and friends herself, rather than letting men do it for her. There was a little bit of insta-love, but I think when you are in crazy adrenaline-pumping ...more
Felicia Spence
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 for me on this one. I ended up really enjoying this story. For the first few chapters I wasn't sure where the story was going to go. I was pleasantly surprised!! Let me tell you... I loved our main characters!! They were kind, good and sweet. It's not very often that I actually like all the characters. Usually there's at least a few that are total douches. Nope! Not on this one. It was entertaining and fast paced.
John Clark
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an easy book to get into and it reads quickly (I did it in 50 page increments between outside chores). Crystal and Logan are realistic and quite likable teen protagonists who find themselves facing early attraction at the same time a very scary and unnerving 'thing' threatens to make them prisoners for their own safety. The story is smooth and required no suspension of belief. Teens liking a mix of romance, horror and action will like this book a lot.
Michelle
This was a bit cheesy, but it was an ok read. I thought it was going to be one thing, but turned into something a little different and then the teenaged insta love thing started going on amidst the mystery and it was just way too cheesy to be taken seriously, Even the writing seriously diminished towards the end. It was like they handed it to a 7th grader and said, "Hey, Can you finish this for us?"
Bickering Book Reviews
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: teen, horror
For a more in-depth review watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vytAQ...

2.5 Rating: This book has an interesting premise but the narrative voice didn’t work. Chrystal was a much more interesting and strong narrator while Logan felt only half developed. The mystery was resolved in a meandering way that was always kind of obvious.
Michelle
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
***Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion***

Sadly, I could not get into this story. I don't know if it was because I couldn't really get a feel for the characters, or if I did not love the writing style. Maybe a little of both. I tried to keep it going, but I never really cared about the story.
Caitlin
Overall I enjoyed the book. At first I wasn’t really sure where it was going but the more & more I read I became more interested.
It does have a Little Red Riding Hood vs. Big Bad Wolf vibe to it that enjoyed.
But I did get a little confused around the middle to the end of the story because it went back & forth between Chrystal & Logan’s point of views.
But overall not bad.

• Past Perfect Life
  • The Arrival of Someday
  • What Happened That Night
  • When The Light Went Out
Carrie Jones likes Skinny Cow fudgsicles and potatoes. She does not know how to spell fudgsicles. This has not prevented her from writing books. She lives with her cute family in Maine, but she grew up in Bedford, NH where she once had a séance with cool uber-comedian Sarah Silverman.

The Meyers brothers are from Bedford, too, so you’d think it would make Carrie funnier, coming from Bedford N.H.