Start by marking “Accounting Game: Basic Accounting Fresh from the Lemonade Stand” as Want to Read:
Accounting Game: Basic Accounting Fresh from the Lemonade Stand

Accounting Game: Basic Accounting Fresh from the Lemonade Stand

Basic Accounting Fresh From the Lemonade Stand
The world of accounting can be intimidating. But, more often than not, there's no way to avoid it--even non-financial jobs venture into financial jargon and concepts. For those trying to get more done at the office, organize the dollars and cents in a small business or just in need of a refresher, there's no reason to turn to
Published November 1st 1998 by Sourcebooks

Start your review of Accounting Game: Basic Accounting Fresh from the Lemonade Stand
Danail Stanev
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you are new to accounting you have to read it. Fantasticly clear
Karen Chung
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a great introduction to how accounting works, especially for those of us who are really just not that crazy about numbers, calculations, and the nuts and bolts of money matters - but who may be involved in a business startup.

I finished the book without doing the exercises - which usually means you haven't learned the material thoroughly - and do plan to reread it a second time, doing the exercises this time. The first reading was good for getting to know basic principles, like the
Dmitry
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rather nice begginner-level introduction into balance sheet, income statement, cash flow statement and a small array of other accounting-related things. Easy to read, lots of examples.
Bibiduck
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I hate accounting because I failed this subject when undergraduate. But this book is so vivid that pull me back. I am now reading it the second time.
Ruth Mini
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It made accounting so simple to understand. I am horrible with math and this book was really helpful.
Caleb Rogers
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All business, accounting, finance majors. Anybody with a job.
A good starter book for anybody interested in basic accounting. Teaches how to read the three basic accounting sheets using a Lemonade Stand example.

You literally can't not understand this book. It is so simple I'm sure a ten year old would grasp its contents. At times it can get a bit silly and repetitive with it's question-answer format, but its short, and you WILL grasp these concepts after reading.

I got it on kindle, which probably isn't effective because it has you constantly updating
Rohit Patel
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Have no clue what accounting is? Then this book is for you. The book covers the fundamentals of accounting in an unconventional manner, by using examples that even a 10 year old would get. By the end, you would have a decent understanding of all the basic terms of accounting that you would have heard like balance sheet, income statement, cash Statement and would hopefully not find yourself blank while reading more comprehensive books on accounting.
Ingrid
A. MUST. READ. FOR. EVERYONE.

As a clueless teenager and prospective undergrad student invested in my financial education, I picked up this book with low expectations. How I underestimated this book so much. Usually I'd skip past books like these with comic-sans font and "kid-friendly" sesame colors--under the impression that while these books generally had good intentions of explaining complex concepts, they only watered it down to simplex and useless jargon--I saw so many 5 star community
Ahmed
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book was a great introduction for non-financial people like me, the fact that it used an example of a thing so simple like the lemonade stand to project accounting on it, is so demystifying and it takes all the fear of trying or learning something new from the equation, in fact i grew more curious about accounting and i am capable to go for trying to understand complex topics or taking it a level deeper, exactly because i have read this book, i like how it projects actions as ...more
David
Jan 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: finance
Ehhh. This book is extremely elementary and may be a good starting point for those with zero accounting background. It only provides high level overviews of the three financial statements. For someone who wants a more comprehensive overview of accounting, I would recommend a much more detailed and advanced alternative. Mike Piper's Accounting Made Simple, although also with its own flaws, is a better read for those with a little accounting background.

Pros:
+ Short read
+ Hits all the bare basics
Grommit
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I needed a quick, concise review of accounting basics. This appears to be juvenile, but is real enough, using the real language of accounting, and it helped!
I prefer to practice, calculate, pencil, erase, correct...and this approach helped do just that.
I missed the "T Account" approach, but this was just fine.
The book could benefit from allowing more room in the little Assets/Liabilities/Equity box. This would be helpful to ensure you are making the correct entries.
Overall, a good job.
Sonakshi Bhatia
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very lovely read!
It is a nice book to start with if you want to learn the basics of accounting and book keeping with a wonderful illustration of lemonade stand which keeps us hitched to the book till the end. However, for an advanced course, it is not sufficient as it touches only upon the basics of accounting.
Keifer May
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful introduction that gives plenty of information and drives home a lot of the concepts of accounting. It's made fun and easy by including characters and stories that can be related.

If anything, I wish there was more technical information and exercises to drive home some of the aspects of this book. If nothing else, it was an invaluable introduction.
Rishavdeep Singh
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's a fun start to much needed education of business world and give you a birdseye view of accounting in the old fashion way you were tough in school. Terms of business are woven into fiction, immaculate and Vivid, which is bound to stick to your memory so much so that by the end of the book you can close your eyes and create a balance sheet in your mind without cramming.
KH Sprague
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book for budding small business entrepreneurs. Easy to follow and clear delivery of basic accounting concepts. It didn't really help me with my financial accounting class (which was my reason for reading the book) but it did help me gain clearer understanding of what the main reporting sheets were and how to properly utilize them.
Sooraj
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you want to learn the basics of accounting from scratch using the simplest of learning methods, this is the one. You might finish the book within a week.
Why a 4-star rating? Not the best of editing. Spelling or word mistakes, incomplete pictures can be found occasionally throughout the book.
Allison Henderson
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great introduction for adults to learning the accounting and basic economics skills. Practical, useful, and a wonderful stepping stone for those of us who should, but may not, already know how to use these valuable skills.
Alex Bu
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An easy read, a memorable read

The story does stick to the mind, while a regular account book is forgotten very quickly,
not this one! Great read, recommended to someone new to accounting.
Sreedev
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great book to understand accounting the fun way rather without going through the mundane details that it's often thought to be. Good starting point for anyone interested in learning accounting. It could even be a leisure time read.
Harish
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good clean introduction to accounting concepts.
Worth a read as a stepping stone into the larger picture.
Jocelyn
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For someone without basic accounting knowledge, this is the perfect book to start and learn accounting in a super fun way.
Melanie
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Easy to learn basic accounting for someone with no accounting background.
Ivandro Moreira
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, with a very simple and entertaining way of teaching the most basic concepts of accounting.
Totally worth for a first time contact to the world of accounting.
Patti
Jun 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Great concept with useful analogies, but unfortunately even the revised edition has several issues. It's a great book for beginners but won't replace an actual textbook.
Márcia Monteiro
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book! Could only have a bit more topics!
Maybe a nr 2? ;)
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Let me begin by saying that i am in no way shape or form a math person, nor am I really good at it. It is just one of those subjects that has evaded me most of my life. That said, my husband bought me this book to help with a legal accounting course. What a life-saver!!!!

While it is a very basic story - setting up a lemonade stand in your front yard, this book breaks down every part of accounting and balance sheets into easy to understand concepts. The childish drawings add to the story but the
Greg
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Any book that could help change my view on accounting is worth 5 stars. Granted, this book is the basics, but it's a conceptual basis that makes sense and explains a lot of accounting confusion. I took accounting for a whole semester in college and learned less than I learned in the three days it took to work through this book.

It made each of the three financial statements make sense in terms of what they show and why they exist, and gave a pretty good overview of how to organize and work with
Siti
Jun 15, 2013 rated it liked it
This book provides a way to start a small business - it is rather comprehensive. But it is not a good book to study for examination. Comparing to my workbook, I found out that topics gone through by this book is Income Statement and Balance Sheet only. I think this book needs improvement, by going through all the topics I have learned in school. Then it would be a good reference to keep records for a small business.
Kara
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is kind of a primer for the language of accounting. If you have any accounting knowledge, you'll probably hate this book. However, if you haven't the slightest idea about financial statements and want a step-by-step guide to what goes on a balance sheet, for example, this is the book for you. Extremely easy to follow and bases itself on running a lemonade stand!
Lucy Ho
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is interesting. It would helpful for people who just start beginning know about accounting. In term of people who already approach with accounting information, this book might be too bore. It contains very basic accounting information with clearly and fun example about a boy 'establishing' his own business - lemonade stand in his summer. And that's all.

• Accounting Made Simple: Accounting Explained in 100 Pages or Less
  • The Book on Investing In Real Estate with No (and Low) Money Down: Real Life Strategies for Investing in Real Estate Using Other People's Money
  • Start Your Own Business
  • Financial Statements: A Step-by-step Guide to Understanding and Creating Financial Reports
  • 爱你就像爱生命 (Chinese Edition)
  • 孩子们的诗(亲爱的孩子,你是天生的诗人)
  • Accounting Principles
  • Intermediate Accounting
  • Lowriders to the Center of the Earth (Lowriders in Space, #2)
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Victorian Servant!: A Thankless Job You'd Rather Not Have
  • TBH, This Is So Awkward (TBH, #1)
  • Chaotic Good
  • Improbable Libraries: A Visual Journey to the World's Most Unusual Libraries
  • Small Time Operator: How to Start Your Own Business, Keep Your Books, Pay Your Taxes, And Stay Out of Trouble!
  • How To Create Wealth Investing In Real Estate: How to Build Wealth with Multi-Family Real Estate
  • Undelivered Letters
  • How to Make Big Money in Small Apartments
  • Signatures and Their Hidden Meanings: Unravel handwriting secrets

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »