Start by marking “Whiteout (RedEye)” as Want to Read:
Whiteout (RedEye)

Whiteout

(Red Eye)

‘She sat us all down and told us a story. About things that lived in the woods. Things that only came out at night.’

For Charlie, a school ski trip is the perfect escape from his unhappy home life. Until a storm blows in and the resort town is cut off from the rest of the world. Trapped on the mountain, the students wait for the blizzards to pass, along with mysterious ski
Expected publication: January 10th 2019 by Stripes (RedEye)

To ask other readers questions about Whiteout, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whiteout

George (BuriedInBooks)
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Stripes for the opportunity to review this book.

Whiteout will stick with me for a long time and continues the great Red Eye Horror series published by Stripes.

The main protagonist is a young man called Charlie. Charlie has a troubled past and this follows him throughout the book in the way people interact with him and how he’s portrayed.
Charlie and his Sixth Form class from Bristol get stuck on top of a Austrian Mountain which is a ski resort. A storm blows in and the residents s
Jamie Brackell
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Whiteout is the debut novel from author Gabriel Dylan and the latest entry in the Red Eye imprint of horror novels from Stripes Publishing. Reminiscent of the Point Horror imprint from the mid-nineties, the Red Eye series targets a Young Adult audience with the promise of horror and unlike the rather tame and melodramatic Point Horror range, it actually delivers. Set in an isolated ski resort in the Austrian Alps, Whiteout focuses on the gory aftermath of a ski holiday gone wrong. Attacked by my ...more
Suzanne
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well let me begin by saying I really don’t like vampire books.
Unfortunately for me I picked one without knowing,

This book is a vampire-esque story which isn’t revealed in the write-up, and not in the novel until about 20% of the way through (and even then I second-guessed the story). But I do have a deep love of the mountains, which kept me reading past my initial disappointment at the discovery - when I almost added it to my abandoned pile.

But despite my aversion, this book was compelling to
Paige Dunmore
This book had a lot of expectations to live up to, after all I did read the Frozen Charlotte duology and felt like I haven’t come across another book that scared me as much as those two did. Until this, oh no this book was just so good and just so disgustingly gruesome!

It's the perfect book to read during a winter storm, that will provide that perfect backdrop while you read this and get so freaked out.

Sequel please & thank you to Stripes Publishing for approving me to read this ARC.
Full
Lesley  Ann Campbell
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a thrilling read, I became quite wrapped up in the story and with the characters early on. A group of teenagers, on a school skiing trip to a remote resort, what could possibly go wrong? Plenty it would seem, for this particular ski resort is like no other. A storm is heading in, meaning that there will be no skiing happening for a day or two. Both the students and their teachers, lead by their guides, head back to the lodge. A lot of the workers and regular townsfolk head back down the ...more
Claire Fun
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Brrr! Whiteout is a quick chilling read - in all senses - and has a exciting, if familiar, plot. The scene-setting was very good and completely brought me back to my holiday up in the Swiss alps...im glad i was there in summer and not during a terrible winter storm, like this school party. Its not long before the teachers and most of the locals vanish one night...but there's definitely something out there in the storm.
The characters were fine. The two main characters, Charlie and Hanna, got a bi
George1st
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
You do not have to be a young adult or a teenager to enjoy this rather deliciously gruesome and chilling tale (in more senses then one), you just need to have a love of horror and a desire to immerse yourself in a story where nightmares become reality. The story is set in a remote and not very popular Austrian ski resort village called Kaldgellan. Staying there on a school trip is a party from a Bristol comprehensive comprising of an eclectic mixture of students. The main character Charlie has a ...more
Megan
Oct 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley

I love YA horror and I wish I had found RedEye books when I was a young adult myself! When I saw a ski trip based horror on Netgalley I jumped at the chance to read it. While I really enjoyed the premise of the story and the atmosphere of a small mountain town I did find it to be a little sub-par unfortunately.

If you've seen the film 30 Days of Night, you will find a very similar plot here but with a group of teenagers instead of adults. There's nothing wrong with this but I was just e
Gemma
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love the Red Eye horror series of books, I think they are fantastic, so when I saw this on NetGalley for review, that was me sold.

The story follows Charlie, who is at a ski resort with his school, from what we can gather Charlie has not got the greatest home life and really does not want to go home. On arriving back at the lodge, the next morning blood is found by one of the students and on the night they are all attacked.

I found this to be a well-evolved story and found myself liking the twis
Damaris Young
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m a huge fan of this kind of action-packed horror and this novel delivered. The story is fast-paced with believable and sympathetic characters, each with their own backstory that brought them to life. The setting is imposing, with the blizzard becoming a character in itself, driving the narrative forward. The creatures are horrifying in their appearance and their rapid movements, very animalistic and a force to be reckoned with. I really warmed to Charlie the protagonist straight away, and I f ...more
Ian
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
** I received this book free via Netgalley.co.uk in exchange for an honest review.**

An entertaining read that delivers everything you would expect.
Whiteout is a claustrophobic, survival tale centered around a group of teenagers on a skiing trip. I don't think the story could be described as terribly original, you have probably seen similar books or movies before. But despite this, it gives you everything you want.
Its fun and cheesy and doesn't take itself too seriously. Which makes it easier t
Aoife
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2, 4n, january, nyp, red-eye
Well, at least I read this at this time of year, not in spring when we're likely to have snow. Blazing sunshine would be better, but for some reason Red Eye decided to release this book in winter. I'm sure I don't know why.

I genuinely had to pile on an extra blanket as I read this, the cold was so well described. I could see a minor plot twist coming...I'm surprised the characters didn't, actually...but I totally missed the cliffhanger ending twist, and I sincerely hope Gabriel revisits this sto
Nicola
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley, the author and publisher for an advanced copy of this book.

I'd never heard of the Red Eye series before but it is definitely one I'll be looking at in the future. For those of the Point Horror generation it's a must read, but a little bit gorier!

The action is non-stop, but I'd guessed what the creatures were right from the start. Apart from that I'm still giving it 4 stars (I would have given 5 if I was a YA / Teen reading it, but as a proper grown up I think I've become
Bex Hogan
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully creepy debut, WHITEOUT is super pacey and atmospheric. I've never been skiing (and after reading this, probably never will!) but really felt immersed in the claustrophobic setting the characters are thrown into. The tension is sustained throughout, sometimes simply simmering, at others fit to boil over, and there's plenty of gruesome moments to make you shudder. A chilling thriller that will haunt you long after the final page.
Rachel Burge
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you like your horror action-packed and gruesome, this book is for you! I loved the setting – the relentless snow really added to the chilling terror. The characters were well drawn, particularly Charlie, and I was interested to learn their back stories – which also offered a little rest in between scares. Great pacing and some cool twists and turns make this more than your average survival story.
Cat Watkins
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
A school trip that goes more than horribly wrong, icy mountains and the cold can be a killer but with bad weather expected and locals leaving the school party are isolated, when the wifi connection is lost most teens would believe nothing more could be so terrifying but then the teachers disappear and there is no let up to the storm, and then they come... great pace, believable characters and twists that work great read.
Jenn
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was SO. FUN. Perfect Halloween read. And wow am I dying for a sequel.
A
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Whiteout is a creepy expert plotted YA horror which kept me reading late into the night. Gabriel’s atmospheric writing brought the freezing Alps vividly to life, and as for the monsters - I don’t want to give too much away but this is definitely one to read with all the lights on! Can’t wait to see what Gabriel writes next!
Rachel
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a brilliant book! I don't usually read horror but with Halloween coming up I thought I'd give this a go and I'm so glad I did. Finished it in two days because it was so gripping that I couldn't wait to find out who got out alive. I loved the fact that nobody was safe as this really heightened the peril and excitement. I also grew to really care about the characters, which I think is really important in this kind of novel, as then you really fear for them being killed. And even a nice bit of ...more
Joseph Elliott
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Whiteout is classic YA horror. It reminded me of all the Point Horror books I devoured as a teenager. Set in a ski resort cut off from the rest of the world during a violent snowstorm, the book follows several teenagers who have to fight for their lives after they discover they're being hunted by supernatural beings. Full of action, plot twists and plenty of gore, this is a fantastically atmospheric debut.
Lindsay Galvin
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Whiteout froze me to the bone! Closed set horror in the most remote of locations, the characters are distinctive and real and I was hooked from the first pages and couldn't put this down as their situation gets steadily more horrifying. The dilapidated ski-resort setting showcased the author's atmospheric cinematic writing and it's no surprise that Gabriel Dylan is a keen snow boarder. I loved the range and choreography of the action scenes, and the ending made me gasp. Perfect winter chiller!
Nov 02, 2018 rated it liked it
"Whiteout" was an okay horror novel. I liked the premise more than the execution and the ending felt rather exaggerated.
Jo
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Firstly, let me say, I'm a huge scaredy-cat.  I hate horror films and am not a fan of horror novels.  Or so I thought.  Earlier this year I was introduced to the Red Eye series and I am a convert.  So I was really excited when I spotted Stripes latest offering to this series on Netgalley.  'Whiteout' had me hooked from the start and, maybe in part because I'm new to the genre, I really had no idea what to expect next.  I whizzed through this book quicker than most of the books I've read recently ...more
Elaine's Reviews
Nov 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Whiteout is the story of a school ski trip. Whilst there, a major snow storm ensues which has all the locals running out of the ski resort and down to lower levels, off the mountain. Once the storm starts, mayhem ensues. People are killed off and a fight for survival begins amongst the students.

This was an okay read. I am not a huge fan of vampire books and didn't realise when I requested this book that it was in fact about vampires. Having said that, it was a very easy read and I flew through
Robert Vanneste
rated it it was ok
Nov 26, 2018
Sarah Corrigan
Dec 02, 2018
Sharon
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Thanks to Netgalley, Stripes publishing ltd and the author for my ARC in exchange for this honest review.

This is a good YA read. It's chilling, has strong characters and is basically exactly what it promises to be, a story of a group of young people on a school skiing holiday who are attacked by strange beings.

Charlie is the lead character, a misfit with few if any friends and I enjoyed the way the author built the characters relationships and suspense, although, parts were a tad gruesome for me
Kelsey
Nov 03, 2018
Amy McCaw
Nov 15, 2018
Will
Nov 29, 2018
Gabriel is a secondary school teacher who spends his free time living the double life of a YA author.

Daddy to two small fighty boys, and a keen surfer and snowboarder, Gabriel loves travelling to snowy or beachy destinations, and reading horror and fantasy novels.

The idea for his debut novel came to him whilst leading a Sixth form ski trip to the wilds of Austria and wishing a horde of vampires

Red Eye (10 books)
  • Frozen Charlotte
  • Sleepless (Red Eye)
  • Bad Bones (Red Eye)
  • Flesh and Blood (Red Eye)
  • Dark Room (Red Eye)
  • The Haunting
  • Fir
  • Charlotte Says (Red Eye)
  • Savage Island (Red Eye)