Start by marking “Ahmed’s Journey: A Story of Self-Discovery” as Want to Read:
Ahmed’s Journey: A Story of Self-Discovery

Ahmed’s Journey: A Story of Self-Discovery

Be Still. Journey Inward. Know Yourself.
We are emotions, feelings, and sensations.
Breathe into All of you, ride along with Ahmed,
and discover the most exciting journey in the world! You!

Ahmed's Journey: A Story of Self-Discovery unfolds through the eyes of a young boy named Ahmed. The book tells of the Camel Races, a tradition in Ahmed's country and in much of the Middle
Hardcover
Published 2018 by Jabu Books Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Ahmed’s Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ahmed’s Journey

If you were to pick this book up because you wanted to learn about Ahmed's camel races, you would be disappointed. Although the camel races is what get Ahmed in a tissy, what this book is about how he calms himself down about it, and how you can do the same.

Although this is under the auspices of being a multicultural book, this is really just a backdrop for teaching mindfulness.

And that in itself is not wrong, and kids do need to know how to calm themselves, as do adults.

The pictures are inter
Baby Bookworm
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is Ahmed’s Journey: A Story Of Self-Discovery by Jill Apperson Manly, a look at mindful thinking through the eyes of a young Saudi boy.

Ahmed has traveled a great distance across the desert to compete with his family in his country’s traditional camel races. While men and older boys share tea and stories, Ahmed wanders by himself, tending the camels and attempting
Cherry
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Ahmed's Journey is not so much a story as an exercise in breathing and mindfulness as applied to children. It's a pretty book and an interesting framework for delivering the lesson, but I feel the text is not very compelling. This isn't a book that I anticipate children reaching out for in story time, but it could be useful as an aid in a class of children dealing with anxiety.
Marissa DeCuir
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book! Jill Manly has written a delightful book for young readers. Ahmed is a great character because so many young people struggle with expressing their emotions. This book is a great way to start a discussion with children about the problems they face. Please check out Jill Manly's book.
JKS Communications
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jill Manly has written a beautiful story of a young boy learning the true power of his inner emotions and the value of self-love. Ahmed's Journey is a touching story where readers can learn about Middle Eastern culture while following a young boy's newfound understanding of the human experience.
Ellen Whitfield
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a beautiful and meditative book. The short sentences are perfect for young readers, and older readers will benefit from the message. It's also a lovely lesson on another culture.
Whitney
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
“Standing quietly,
Ahmed continues to observe himself.
He wonders if his internal storm will move through him and depart like the sandstorms that pass across the desert.” [#gifted @ourgratefuljourney]

Emotions are hard to manage for my preschooler - and, let’s be honest, for me, too. We are intense feelers, but pretty terrible at slowing down enough to name what we are feeling and why. So I’m always looking out for books that help my son and I explore our emotions together.

Ahmed’s Journey by Jill
Steff Pasciuti
Ahmed's Journey by Jill Apperson Manly is a fairly quick children's book with engaging illustrations detailing the experience of a young boy who deals with the anxiety of participating in the traditional camel races of his country and family. A wonderful way of introducing more diversity into the available children's books, Ahmed's Journey portrays emotions and feelings that just about any child in a new situation, especially one heaped in tradition and expectation, will feel and have to navigat ...more
Wayne McCoy
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
'Ahmed's Journey: A Story of Self-Discovery' by Jill Apperson Manly is about a young boy from another culture who is experiencing anxiety and how he finds a way to deal with it.

Ahmed and his family have travelled quite a ways to participate in the Camel Races. Ahmed and his camel Jamal are to be in the race, but Ahmed is apprehensive. In a walk through the desert, Ahmed finds a way to calm himself and look forward to the race.

It's an okay story with guided meditations at the end. The illustratio
The Pen & Muse
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ahmed's Journey is a story of a young boy looking inward on himself and his feelings. His story takes us on a journey that many face including children about being loved and being counted. The importance of taking a breath means so much nowadays and this book has made it clear that sometimes we need to stop and think inside of us. A time of reflection. I love also at the end of the book how there are exercises for reflection. This book is made for children, but I can see adults reading this as w ...more
K-BRC
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
AHMEDS JOURNEY by Jill Apperson Manly: Jill A. Manly has presented a work of artistic, intrinsic, and cultural importance. She’s demonstrated sensitivity and appreciation for cultural differences while celebrating the beauty of universal sameness. As she shows how this Middle Eastern boy uses self-awareness to analyze his emotions and control his breathing and physical reactions to calm himself, she painlessly instructs how to use relaxation and meditation to become calm and improve self-control ...more
Carol
Feb 27, 2019
Kristi
Jan 15, 2019
Jill  M Caldwell
Jan 17, 2019
J Aislynn d'Merricksson
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ahmed's Journey by Jill Manly follows the titular Ahmed as he goes to the Camel Races. This is a tradition among his people, and Ahmed is going to participate for the first time. He's nervous, but by observing his favourite camel, Jamal, Ahmed finds his centre. Thanks to Jamal, Ahmed begins to be able to see his own emotions more objectively, and to appreciate what each has to teach in turn. This was a fairly quick read with some great lessons. It presents concepts of mindfulness in a manner acc ...more
Susan

• Sprig the Rescue Pig
  • The Missing Piece of Charlie O'Reilly
  • The Art of Dying Well: A Practical Guide to a Good End of Life
  • The Next Great Paulie Fink
  • Reclaiming Our Space: How Black Feminists Are Changing the World from the Tweets to the Streets
  • The Tragical Tale of Birdie Bloom
  • You Gotta Have Heart
  • FKA USA
  • Vegetable Souffle
  • Go. No Go.: Is Your business Idea Ready to Launch?
  • Pterodactyl Show and Tell
  • A Soldier and a Liar
  • Ronan Boyle and the Bridge of Riddles (Ronan Boyle #1)
  • The Whispers