Start by marking “Pass of Fire (Destroyermen Book 14)” as Want to Read:
Pass of Fire (Destroyermen Book 14)

Pass of Fire

(Destroyermen #14)

After being transported to a strange alternate Earth, Matt Reddy and the crew of the USS Walker have learned desperate times call for desperate measures, in the return to the New York Times bestselling Destroyermen series.

Time is running out for the Grand Human and Lemurian Alliance. The longer they take to prepare for their confrontations with the reptilian Grik, the Holy
Published June 11th 2019 by Ace (first published 2019)

Start your review of Pass of Fire (Destroyermen Book 14)
Charles  van Buren
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The end could be in sight for one front while another heats up

The Allied campaign against the Grik ancestoral homeland in Africa leads to a huge, almost climactic battle to capture Sofesshk, the Grik capital and ancient holy city. Almost climactic because it appears that if the Alliance loses, they will ultimately lose the war. But if they win, the Grik will be on the ropes, greatly weakened, possibly divided into factions and likely to eventually lose the war. However there will still be a LOT
Hotrats
What can I say? I keep reading them. The series that will never end.
Kathy Davie
Fourteenth in the Destroyermen military science fiction in an alternate world series and revolving around the human crews from a pair of WWII destroyers working to survive in this alternate world.

My Take
Whew, another terrifying tale — that's species- and character-driven with lots and lots of military action leavened by humor — in the Destroyermen series that had me stopping and starting so I could keep my heart rate and emotions under control!

As always it's good versus evil with massive sacrifi
Daniel Shellenbarger
So much to go over... but I'll start by saying that this is another very solid addition to the series. The tone is a bit more dour than is usual for this series, and reasonably so as the fighting in the East and the West is vicious, bloody, and while the allies continue to meet their strategic objectives, the tactical setbacks are... grim. The book primarily focuses on two (and a half) simultaneous Allied offensives. The first, in Africa, aims to capture the Grik capital of Soffeshk and the Grik ...more
T.M.
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great installment in the series

I inadvertently skipped the prior book in the series when reading this one. However, it did not detract from the overall story. It did seem like most of the battles in this installment were extremely one-sided. That said, the action was good and character development was fun as always. Now to go catch up on the one I missed...
Kelly
I've listened to all of the books in the Destroyermens series and this one is by far the least interesting of the bunch. I don't have a clue what happened in the first 14 chapters because I pretty much tuned out.
Joe
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best in the series! I don't give spoilers, but suffice it to say that a LOT happens in this book, even for a Taylor Anderson book! Some of it is quite satisfying, while in true Destroyermen fashion a new crisis is on the way... As usual his characters are well fleshed out & seem like people you know, from the irrascible Dennis Silva to Chack, Abel Cook, Courtney Bradford or Matt Reddy.

They all grow in various ways, as does the story line. Well worth the read!
Daniel
Nov 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the best alternative history/fiction in print today. Enjoyable military history in another world.
Douglas Debner
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to books 12, 13 and 14 all at once and am planning on posting the same review for all them. First, you may want to be aware that these books hit my sweet spot. I love them and would give them 4.8 stars if Goodreads allowed. They are not perfect but they are incredibly good.

On at least on occasion in the past the author failed to provide resolution in the book he wrote. I still gave the book 4 stars because I enjoy this series so much. Fortunately here, that is not a problem. Each of
stormin
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
It's amazing that Taylor Anderson is keeping this series going with so much momentum and interest for this long, but the books are starting to creak a little bit under the load of the plot. We started out with one destroyer facing off against one cruiser in a dangerous alternate Earth. At this point, we now have a conflict that is, if anything, more complex than the actual, real-world Second World War.

Since each novel is roughly the same size as the first, but the plot is covering at least 4-5x
John Purvis
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(See all of my Book Reviews) - “Pass of Fire” eBook was published in 2019 and was written by Taylor Anderson (http://taylorandersonauthor.com). This is the 14th book in his “Destroyer Men” series. See my interview with Taylor Anderson.

I received an ARC of this novel through https://www.netgalley.com in return for a fair and honest review. I categorize this novel as ‘R’ because it contains scenes of Violence and Mature Language. The story continues the saga of the Destroyer Men who have been tra
Margaret
What a highly satisfying read!

Taylor Anderson has such a LARGE cast of characters in his delightful Destroyermen series and this series is literally set all over the globe!

This is an alternate history series where a pair of obsolete early World War II American Pacific Fleet destroyers (and one huge Japanese ship they were fighting at the time) were swept up by this bizarre "green squall" into an alternate (parallel) Earth.

An Earth where the doomsday asteroid never fell and killed off the dinos
Mark Jensen
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Destroyermen series has been a very good read for me. I am always eagerly anticipating the next volume. But---14 volumes, and the way this one ended, maybe more than 15? Truly, if I hadn't started reading them when there were only a handful of books in the series, I might not have started. But, if you have lots of time remaining in your life, and you like military stories and alternate universe stories, you can't go wrong. The characters are interesting, the plot compelling, and the concept ...more
Andreas
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it

In the fourteenth installment of Destroyermen, the Grand Alliance has finally pushed the Grik up against the wall. The First Allied Expeditionary Force has a firm foothold along the Zambezi downriver from the Grik capital, whilst the army of the Republic of Real People is pushing north to join up. The final assault on Sofesshk is about to begin. Unfortunately, the Grik are well dug in, and rooting them out will take some innovative tactics. Also, just defeating the Grik on the battlefield will n
Francisco
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
About 20% of the books is dedicated to recapitulating the plot. Once this "Previously, on destroyermen" exposition by dialogue stills remains an issue. I found it jarring and immersion breaking.

Another gripe i have is that the author has to keep finding surprises for his protagonist to thwart. I understand it is a "mysterious" new world, and the good guy enemies are nefarious, but how many "new" thigns can their enemies come up with? it is getting ridiculous.

But when the book starts it is actu
Jerry Nachison
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's a good thoroughly written finale to this part of the series. On to the Zambezi in Eastern Africa from the Indian Ocean and end one threat. Done. One madman gone, remaining WWII Japanese military soldiers apparently gone and many prisoners released. Reptilean Grik are at least down - for now.

Now, what's next Mr. Taylor? One to Matt's other enemies, multitudes of other Grik, fascists also transported to this earth II and conquistadores also there and now overblown after centuries in these lan
Ryan Rauber
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another exciting entry for the former crew of the Walker and their fight against the Grik and the Dominion. After the recent books that centered on the war in the west, here we get an update on the eastern front. Still, the majority of the novel takes place in the west, and an exciting part where Chack's brigade, and Silva and Lawrence of course, parachute into the heart of the Grik ancient capital to capture the Grik queen. If you enjoy this series as much as I have, you'll enjoy this entry.
Kevin P
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bob
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jaye
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one took a little longer to read. I had to return it to the library and wait a month or so to get it back.
Most of the action in this book takes place in the Grik territory of Eastern Africa, as Captain Reddy and his allies bring the war home to the Grik capital, attacking the Celestial Mother herself. On the other side of the world, the Alliance continues the fight against the Holy Dominion at the Pass of Fire.
Skip Torok
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
So, I enjoyed this series years ago, I read #1 to around #5 as I recall. I saw this book on "Book Bub" for a buck and bought it looking forward to some good... new/old reading.

What the heck happened between #5 and #14? Unbelievable! This series was trashed! I had a hard time getting through the first page! I quit somewhere in chapter 2. I gave a 2 rate simply for ole times sake. PITIFUL!
Gary Weinman
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No surprises here. I've been along for the ride for the first 13 books so it shouldn't be a surprise that I liked this one either. Yes, there are plenty of holes and many completely unrealistic things, but I enjoy them all. Many of the characters have started to take on the form of old friends to me and I like keeping in touch with them.
Yorick
Loved this installment. Satisfying and thrilling. I can't really say anything more specific without spoilers, but if you have read the series thus far, you'll definitely want to read this. As ever, some well-loved characters die, and thankfully, others don't.
A surprising plot twist in this volume.
brian andrews
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Getting to the end of one major chapter and another beginning.
This book was needed as an end of part of the series, I felt it was getting too drawn out and the series a little faded in its duration, war with the Grik.

Perhaps new character arc's are now needed with the launch of the war against the League,perhaps...
Mr S I Wilkinson
Aug 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another page turner

I've followed this series from the offset.

I often fear it will start repeating itself but somehow the author finds just enough inspiration to take you down a different path, but not one you feel was written in desperation to fill more pages, but more a desire to tell more of the ever evolving story ahead.
Valerie
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good story

Definitely one if the best in the series, it moves the story forward & is very informative while focusing primarily on the Walker & the Grik. I enjoyed this story very much.
Rajat Bhandari
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wish these books would come out sooner.

Just amazing as always though hate the excruciating wait for the next book to release and then the further wait for the audible with whisper sync.
Brandon
Very good installment in the series. Big things going on in the Grick front, concluding in a partial end to the eastern front. Yet, both wars on the western front are as desperate as ever.

A lot of moving parts, but probably my favorite of the recent chapters in the saga.
Marv
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Happy Glad
Another great read from Taylor Anderson's Destroymen series. A world war, on several fronts at once, but this one for all the marbles. Yet, when it's over, there are some leftovers. Looking forward to next year's installment!
Phil
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Hard to believe this is the 14th in the series, as it still seems fresh and always exciting. The only series I have enjoyed as much is the Lost Fleet by Campbell. Somehow, Anderson does not fall into formulaic traps, and keeps upping the ante for the next volume.

• Triumphant (The Genesis Fleet, #3)
  • 1637: The Polish Maelstrom
  • To Clear Away the Shadows (Lt. Leary, #13)
  • River of Night (Black Tide Rising #6)
  • The Gordian Protocol
  • Favour the Bold (The Empire's Corps #16)
  • 1636: The China Venture (Ring of Fire Book 27)
  • Through Fiery Trials (Safehold, #10)
  • The Right of the Line (Ark Royal #14)
  • Standing With Righteous Rage
  • Voices of the Fall (Black Tide Rising)
  • Alpha and Omega
  • The First Compact: The Karus Saga (The Karus Saga: Book Book 3)
  • Their Last Full Measure (A Learning Experience #6)
  • Bright Light
  • Crusade (Exile, #3)
  • The Service of Mars (Starship's Mage,  #9)
  • Standing Before Hell's Gate (The Last Brigade #4)

Destroyermen (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Into the Storm (Destroyermen, #1)
  • Crusade (Destroyermen, #2)
  • Maelstrom (Destroyermen, #3)
  • Distant Thunders (Destroyermen, #4)
  • Rising Tides (Destroyermen, #5)
  • Firestorm (Destroyermen, #6)
  • Iron Gray Sea (Destroyermen, #7)
  • Storm Surge (Destroyermen, #8)
  • Deadly Shores (Destroyermen, #9)
  • Straits of Hell (Destroyermen, #10)

News & Interviews