Start by marking “The Turn of the Key” as Want to Read:
The Turn of the Key

The Turn of the Key

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  47,336 ratings  ·  7,517 reviews
INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of In a Dark, Dark Wood, The Woman in Cabin 10, The Lying Game, and The Death of Mrs. Westaway comes Ruth Ware’s highly anticipated fifth novel.

When she stumbles across the ad, she’s looking for something else completely. But it seems like too good an opportunity to miss—a live-in nannying
Published August 6th 2019 by Gallery/Scout Press

To ask other readers questions about The Turn of the Key, please sign up.
Johnna | abookinmybag I discovered Ruth Ware in 2018, like, halfway through the year and devoured all but her first novel before the end of the year. I finished "In a Dark,…moreI discovered Ruth Ware in 2018, like, halfway through the year and devoured all but her first novel before the end of the year. I finished "In a Dark, Dark Wood" today and cannot wait to have this one in my possession. I hope she does a tour and comes close to my home! I would really like to get it and have it signed! (less)
Arlette Krijgsman The turn of the screw is one of the most often retold tales of horror, it echoes through in plenty of haunted house novels. If anything, I thought…moreThe turn of the screw is one of the most often retold tales of horror, it echoes through in plenty of haunted house novels. If anything, I thought that part of the novel was cool. Just sad that I guessed half the plot before I even got to the conclusion :c(less)

·  47,336 ratings  ·  7,517 reviews

Start your review of The Turn of the Key
Chelsea Humphrey
AUGUST 2019 BOTM SELECTION

"Dear Mr. Wrexham,
You have no idea how many times I have started this letter and screwed up the resulting mess, but I've realized there is no magic formula here. There is no way I can make you listen to my case. So I'm just going to have to do my best to set things out. However long it takes, however much I mess this up, I'm just going to keep going and tell the truth."

And so begins our tale. I'm sure that, unless you've been walking around with your eyes closed and
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
This is my third book by the author so by this point I know she's great at creating an atmosphere, a creepy ambiance.

New nanny working for a family living in a remote house in Scotland. Past nannies leaving after the house seems haunted with its dark history and secrets... you get it.

It was interesting, even a bit unique since the main character wasn't likeable and that the format is through letters she's writing to a lawyer from prison since she's accused of murdering one of the child in her
Emily May
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I am telling you the truth. The unvarnished, ugly truth. And it is all that. It is unpolished and unpleasant, and I don't pretend I acted like an angel. But I didn't kill anyone. I just fucking didn't.

This wasn't bad, but it was nowhere near as good as I was expecting from an author like Ruth Ware.

The protagonist, Rowan Caine, stumbles upon an opportunity that she considers amazing and I would consider an absolute nightmare-- a live-in nanny to four children, including one baby and one bratty
Nilufer Ozmekik
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Four okay I loved it, it freaked me out, gave me enough chills, my all nails are shorter, oh wait a second I don’t have nails anymore and my arms are covered with stress bites, my hair is in the air, you made a great job Ruth Ware, I wanted to clap but my hands are still shaking stars!!!

Lalalala here's my 200th book of this year!

Look what we have on the menu:
-A naïve nanny who has little secrets is now in the jail, waiting for murder trail.

-Creepy Victorian haunted house: A big surrounded by
Meredith
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, edelweiss
A nanny in jail accused of murdering one of the children in her care. This is her story.

When Rowan, a young nanny who lives in London, comes across for an ad seeking a nanny to live in a remote area of Scotland, it sounds too good to be true. The pay is high, the house is beautiful, and the family seems lovely. She is warned that previous nannies have quit due to the house being haunted. Rowan doesn’t believe in ghosts, so she pays no heed to the warning. She is hired for the position and packs
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
In the beginning of the book, Rowan is writing a letter to Mr. Wexham, begging for him to help her. She tells him that she is innocent of a crime of murder that she did not commit and that she needs his assistance with her trial that is coming up soon. He is a lawyer and she wants him to prove her innocence.

There is an old house located in a remote area in the middle of nowhere in the Scottish Highlands. Rowan becomes a nanny for a family of three children in this creepy estate. The house has a
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had low expectations for this because I had heard such mixed things about Ruth Ware, but this was SO GOOD. It took so many of the classic thriller components but made them feel fresh and new and I'm a big fan. I cannot wait to see what Ruth comes up with next.
Melanie

wow she really bamboozled me... twice. we stan. <3

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

Paromjit
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is Ruth Ware's latest offering, a chiller of a psychological thriller with its central protagonist, 24 year old Rowan Caine working in childcare in London. She is looking for another post when she come across an incredible job as a live in Nanny for the Elincourt family, the parents Bill and Sandra are architects, living in the remote Scottish Highlands, and the pay for the post is unbelievable. If there is one thing you should beware of, it is that if a job sounds to be too good to be ...more
Norma * Traveling Sister ~ Semi-hiatus for now until I fully get my reading/reviewing hat on! &#x1f602; I’m almost there! &#x1f495;
Creepy, suspenseful, & mysterious!

THE TURN OF THE KEY by RUTH WARE is a compelling, dark, twisted, and haunting mystery thriller that immediately sucked me in and had me totally absorbed within this tale.

Right from the very start there is this intense sense of foreboding that definitely makes this quite the gripping book to read.....it is a slow-burn and the intensity level slowly increases as the story progresses. I absolutely loved the creepy modern gothic vibe going on here and RUTH WARE
jessica
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i absolutely despised ruth wares 'the woman in cabin 10' and completely swore her off as an author because of it. so no one is more surprised than me that i enjoyed this, let alone picked it up. you guys seriously have some major persuasive talent going, because its your good reviews that got me to give RW a second chance.

i think the unique formatting is a tremendous asset to the story. told through letters written by rowan to a potential solicitor as she sits in prison, the story is a last
Julie
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware is a 2019 Gallery/Scout Press publication.

Ware is back on track in this tense tale of suspense!!

I have loved Ruth Ware since I read ‘In a Dark, Dark Wood’, yet, I really struggled with her previous book. I didn’t lose my confidence in Ware, however, and eagerly jumped into this, her latest effort, with gusto- and I was not disappointed!!

As the story opens it becomes clear that Rowan Caine, a former nanny, is sitting in prison accused of having killed a child in
Peter
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, thriller
Disconcerting
Turn of the Key is an unnerving story told by a murder suspect as she recounts the background and incidents leading to the death of a child while she was its nanny. Rowan Caine is the nanny and she is writing the story in the form of a letter to a solicitor, Mr Wrexham, requesting his services to defend her. Within the story, there are periodic passages where she speaks directly to Mr Wrexham outlining how her story may be considered and continuously stating her innocence, no matter
Holly  B
The new nanny, Rowan Caine, has her hands full at Heatherbrae House.

This was my fourth novel by the author and I had to see how this one would compare.

I've read several "nanny" stories and find myself drawn to the whole idea of having someone live in your home and act as a child minder. Rowan gets this "dream" nanny job and finds out that the last several nanniesdidn't work out.

The house was probably my favorite aspect of the story. It was renovated to be a "smart" home and the owners could
Tammy
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
A child is dead and a nanny is in prison while her trial is pending. This novel consists of a letter she is writing to a lawyer explaining her innocence of the murder and how she wound up incarcerated. The thing is she is not entirely blameless. One thing is certain: “if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is.”
Merphy Napier
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is tough to rate because I loved this book until the ending. -_-

Suspense - check
interesting characters - check
had no idea who (or what) was behind it all - check
unreliable narrator - check
I couldn't read it too late at night - check
ending that had me on the edge of my seat - check

I loved the ending... until it ended.

Here's why in NON SPOILERS but a little more detail than some might want for their thrillers (view spoiler)
megs_bookrack
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Ruth Ware's BEST work yet!!!

Not only is this my new FAVORITE Ruth Ware book, this also may be my new favorite BOOK OF THE YEAR!!!

Full review to come...stay tuned!!!
Katie B
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Out of the four Ruth Ware novels I have read (still need to get to The Lying Game), this one is my favorite. While I liked her other books, either my interest would wane a bit and/or I had an idea or two about the ending. With this book, my eyes were practically glued to the pages because I really had no clue where the author was going to go with the story. This was a fun read for me which is all I really wanted when I picked up the book.

A nanny is in prison awaiting trial for murder.
karen
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
oooh, goodreads choice awards semifinalist for BEST MYSTERY/THRILLER 2019! what will happen?

i have reviewed this for l.a. review of books, scheduled to run 8/20.

TODAY IS 8/20!! review is posted here!!!

come to my blog!
NZLisaM
‘WANTED: Large family seeks experienced live-in nanny.'

When childcare worker, Rowan Caine, stumbled across the advert she couldn't believe her luck. It's the opportunity she'd been waiting for.

But mere months later she’s sitting on remand in a Scottish prison, accused of killing one of the children in her charge. Furiously scribbling letters to a top advocate (barrister under British law), she pleads with him to take her case.

‘”I didn't kill that child. Which means someone else did. And they
Effy
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, mystery, adult

The Turn of the Key was the first book I read from Ruth Ware and it will definitely not be the last!

The book is a psychological thriller infused with Gothic and Victorian elements. The story is unfolded in the form of letters written by Rowan Caine while she is in prison and addressed to a potential solicitor, narrating the events that led to her incarceration. Rowan is accused of murdering a child she was looking after and is resolved on unraveling her unspeakable truth that will set her free.

Carole
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware is my favorite thriller so far this year. Ruth Ware, often referred to as the Agatha Christie of our time, has penned her best yet. Rowan, a child-care worker, unexpectedly comes across an online ad for a nanny position in Scotland. It's one of those opportunities that seems too good to be true: a job taking care of children in a high-tech mansion in the Scottish Highlands with an income that can't be matched. To her surprise, Rowan gets the position to care for ...more
Book of Secrets°ღ
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved it! THE TURN OF THE KEY is creepy, twisted, and disturbing, and totally absorbing — a modern-day The Turn of the Screw, but far more entertaining.

Rowan Caine’s new dream job as nanny for the seemingly perfect Elincourt family quickly turned into her worst nightmare. Their remote home in the Scottish Highlands called Heatherbrae House was an unusual hybrid of modern “smart” design and spooky Gothic Victorian. Inside its walls, cameras were watching, machines were listening for
marilyn
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
This is my first Ruth Ware book and I plan to read more because of the good things I've read about her books. The Turn of the Key takes place in an old home, Heatherbrae House, that has been restored faithfully in parts of it while other parts have been gutted and transformed into the most modern of homes. The entire home has "smart home" features which seem to have been set to an overly intrusive level. Not only that, the features don't always work as intended or don't work at all, making the ...more
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
A good read, though more towards the end than the beginning. The beginning had me wondering if it was the author’s writing that doesn’t make sense or the character that the author tried to create. Though the author has published many books, it’s my first time to read from this author and I don’t know what to expect. It was hard for me to get into the story with the character being all over the places and not making much sense. Furthermore, all that smart house and interior designs talk is a bit ...more
Brenda -Traveling Sister host of The Traveling Friends
The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware was a highly anticipated book for The Traveling Sisters and was one of our more lengthy group reads we have had. Some of us couldn’t wait to get their hands on this one and start reading it right away while others took a bit before diving in. This lead to such a fun discussion as we all added in our thoughts as we read it. So did it live up to our anticipation? YES!! We highly recommend!!!

Yey Happy! Tell me a story!!

I am sure I have already told you!!

Unlock
Kylie D
Having loved Ruth Ware's previous books I was looking forward to this one with great anticipation. I was greatly disappointed however. There's build up, and build up, and more build up. Then we get to the crunch and it's over in a few pages. The first 320 pages were boring and the last 20 pages were rushed.

Enough said.
Yun
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
In The Turn of the Key, Rowan comes across an ad looking for a live-in nanny at a remote country estate. When she applies and gets the job, she is thrilled. But it seems the opportunity is too good to be true, and soon she realizes there are malevolent forces at work inside the idyllic house. The story is told with the reveal first, as a child is dead and Rowan is sitting in prison writing to her lawyer pleading that she did not kill the child. She then proceeds to tell him the story of what ...more
Jayme
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book BEGINS and ENDS, with a letter.

"Dear Mr. Wrexham,
I know you don't know me, but please. please, please, you have to help me...."

Rowan Caine will do anything to secure the post as Nanny at The Heatherbrae House, smitten with the home, and the generous salary.

She will even ignore the fact that FOUR Nannies have left the post in the last year.

That decision will put her in prison, awaiting trial for murder.

Can she convince Mr Wrexham of her innocence?
Can she convince you??

This gothic
Dianne
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: best-of-2019
This was just what the doctor ordered. My husband and I are building a house, selling the one we’ve lived in for 28 years and it’s GO time......we’ll be out of this house and in the new one in a couple of months. I’m stressed, anxious, overwhelmed and can’t concentrate on anything that doesn’t have to do with paint, flooring, trim, furniture, realtors, contractors and to-do lists. Reading time is a luxury I haven’t had for a while and I so miss it.

I have been trying to tackle a 2019 Booker

• Lady in the Lake
  • Things You Save in a Fire
  • Whisper Network
  • The Mother-in-Law
Ruth Ware grew up in Sussex, on the south coast of England. After graduating from Manchester University she moved to Paris, before settling in North London. She has worked as a waitress, a bookseller, a teacher of English as a foreign language and a press officer. She is married with two small children, and In a Dark, Dark Wood is her début thriller.

Find her on twitter at
“People do go mad, you know, if you stop them from sleeping for long enough...” 2 likes
“Better to achieve perfect marks on an easy test than flunk a hard one, that was my motto.” 2 likes