Start by marking “Murder at the Columbarium” as Want to Read:
Murder at the Columbarium

Murder at the Columbarium

Jed’s quiet life as caretaker of the San Francisco Columbarium is turned upside down when he comes upon a dead woman’s body and a crying baby just inside the gate. His search for answers thrusts him into a world of corruption, bigotry and drug trafficking and he becomes one of the principal suspects.
Published September 23rd 2018

To ask other readers questions about Murder at the Columbarium, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder at the Columbarium

Start your review of Murder at the Columbarium
Karen
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book focuses on the Columbarium's caretaker Jed and how his life changes when finding a murdered young woman on the premises.

With "Murder at the Columbarium", Emily Gallo has created a well-elaborated and intriguing story about Jed and his friends. The story comprises a variety of characters with sufficient depth, interesting turns, food for thought, and a great flow. I was drawn into the story right away, close to Jed, his wife, their friends; captivated by what this story had to offer. I
Rosie Amber
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: murder-mystery
Murder At The Columbarium is a relaxed paced contemporary mystery which is set in San Francisco.

Jed is the caretaker of the Columbarium which is a building with niches where funeral urns are stored. One morning he finds the body of a Pakistani woman inside the gates, and beside her a baby.

While the police investigate the murder, Jed takes it upon himself to also do some sleuthing. See here for full review https://wp.me/p2Eu3u-f52
Wendy Wanner
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A well-crafted murder mystery that lays a trail of breadcrumbs.

Emily Gallo is a master at laying well-placed breadcrumbs to keep the plot twisting, the suspect list growing and the “who done it” moment a surprise until the very end. Murder at the Columbarium opens with Jed, caretaker at the Columbarium in San Francisco, finding an infant girl in the bushes beside her dead mother. Wanting to adopt the baby, Jed becomes consumed with finding the killer and learning the identity of little Aja.

But t
Danielle Calloway
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Once I started I couldn't put it down. It was well paced and didn't have a boring moment. The characters were so true to life and immediately endearing that I want to go to San Francisco to sit and have a cup of coffee with them. The new plot twists at every turn kept me turning pages wanting more. I can't wait to read more from this talented author ...more
Sam Law
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Summary:

This is an interesting whodunnit story, which also has a number of other threads running through it.

Main Characters:

Jed Gibbons: Sixty-something African-American, curator of a Columbarium (a building where funeral urns are stored).

Monica: His wife, positively diagnosed with HIV.

Minor Characters:

Dutch: Sixty-something grower of legal weed.

Juniper: Dutch’s live-in companion, and overseer of his farming operations.

Macolm: Long-time friend of Jed and Monica.

Tony: Another friend, roughly the
Amanda
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
I was asked to read this book by the author. After doing so, here is my honest review.

Synopsis: Jed is an African-American male who takes care of a Columbarium in San Francisco. Jed find a dead woman at the Columbarium upon arriving at work one morning, along with her baby whom is still alive. The story focuses on Jed playing detective and trying to figure out who murdered this woman and seeing if he can keep her baby for himself and his wife, Monica.

The Story:
I think there is a good story he
Kimberly
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Emily Gallo has a way with words in Murder at the Columbarium. She takes the most controversial topics of our time and makes them mundane. It is fantastic!

In Murder at the Columbarium, we open into Jed going to work at the Columbarium, just as he has every day for who knows how long. However, instead of a quiet day working his rounds, he sees a dead body and a live infant lying next to it. Unknown to Jed, his life will never be the same again.

I loved this novel. I love mysteries, and this one di
Píaras Cíonnaoíth
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A first-class whodunit with perfect pacing...

Author Emily Gallo weaves a first-class murder mystery with intriguing twists and turns that will easily captivate the reader’s attention from the beginning. The author paints a compelling story of corruption, bigotry and drug trafficking in a very vivid and convincing way. In addition, the characters are drawn with great credibility and conviction. It’s a fast-paced novel that will keep you engaged from the first page to the last.

The book descriptio
Rae Marie
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Murder at the Columbarium focuses on Jed, the caretaker, after he finds a murdered woman and a baby just inside the gate. Through the story, Jed finds himself in the middle of the investigation, and at one point a suspect for the murder.
I did read a few reviews before I began reading the novel. Learning that a previous novel followed Jed and his wife Monica, I did a little digging to understand a little more of the main character and his wife.
I appreciated how different locations are brought up
Nebula Castelino
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vro
"All Jed had was his engaging, honourable personality. He hoped that would be enough." And it is definitely more than enough. Emily Gallo's "Murder at the Columbarium" has an intriguing plot, one that is layered in the background of many important and relevant subjects of modern society that is centred around race, sexuality, political beliefs and drugs. This book is an absolute page-turner even with a very clear and direct writing style. Apart from the main plot, the book is guided by empathy, ...more
Happy Booker
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Murder at the Columbarium is a murder mystery. Jed witnesses a woman’s dead body and a baby that is crying. Things cannot get worse for him when he is also considered as a suspect. He spends his time finding answers not only for his own curious mind but to also clear his name.

The story has a blend of mentioning drug culture issues, racism, LGBTQ matters. With a combination of a few plot twists, action scenes, and adventurous thriller pursuits, the author manages to create a really intriguing mur
Samantha
Feb 17, 2020 rated it did not like it
Recently, I was asked to read and review Murder at the Columbarium by the author. If you'd like to read this title yourself, the various purchasing links can be found at emilygallo.com.
The story begins with Jed, the caretaker of the San Francisco Columbarium, finding a crying baby within the gates of the building - along with a dead woman that's presumed to be her mother. Jed gets sucked into the mystery of her death as he and his social worker wife take temporary care of the baby.
While the book
Danielle Lang
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jed is the caretaker of the San Francisco Columbarium which is a building with niches where funeral urns are stored. After the discovery of a dead woman’s body and a crying baby on the grounds - his world is turned upside down. He is thrusted into a world of corruption and drugs as he searches for answers to clear himself as a suspect.

Not normally my go to genre but I did enjoy reading this book. It tackles many different topics from HIV to Homelessness and many more. There also was a fantastic
Carol Peace
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-books
I was introduced to this book by Voracious readers and I am so glad I was, I loved the characters and followed the intricate story line with ease.
Jed worked at the Columbarium and one day when he arrived he found a dead woman in the grounds but then he could hear a baby and he found her, comforted her and then called the police. Jed and his wife Monica then try and find out where the baby came from and who the woman was as it seemed that the police were slow in their investigation. There were s
Calleen Petersen
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting book. The author weaves in every type of disadvantaged minority but in a believable way. The story itself is intriguing that keeps you wanting to read. And I learned a few new things along the way. Did you know in Pakistan they have to give their finger prints before buying a cell phone?
Full disclosure: This book was given to me for free through Voracious Readers in exchange for an honest review.
Charlsey
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down- a very fast read and enjoyable! It reminded me of a modern day Agatha Christie; I felt like a detective, just like the main character Jed. As you’re reading the book, you just want to figure out who committed the crime and by the time you know it, the book is done! Great read!!
Kate Kirton
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Murder at the columbarium was overly repetitive, with a fairly slow ambling pace that held, occasionally, detail that was unnecessary for the plot. Nevertheless, I did enjoy the book, and would read more by this author.
Dan
Oct 27, 2018
Gillian Jones
May 19, 2019
Mairi
rated it did not like it
Mar 09, 2019
Kris Kidd
Feb 03, 2019
Dope Books
Jun 27, 2020
Joyce
Apr 13, 2019
Emily Gallo
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Olivadivu
Michael Rogers
Jan 10, 2020
Tasha Doughman
Jan 14, 2020

• Behind the Fire Wall (book 1 of the Programagic Cycle)
  • Captain Black Shadow (Chronicles of the Bat #1)
  • 51st Directive
  • Their Last Breath
  • Immortal India: Articles and Speeches by Amish
  • The Complete Adventures of Feluda, Vol. 1
  • பாலை நிலப் பயணம்: Palai Nila Payanam (செல்வேந்திரன் பயண நூல் வரிசை Book 1)
  • ஒரு புளியமரத்தின் கதை (Oru Puliyamarathin Kathai)
  • சில நேரங்களில் சில மனிதர்கள் [Sila Nerangalil Sila Manithargal]
  • Anilaadum Mundril
  • Kathai Sollatuma
  • You are irreplaceable
  • The Rise of Sivagami (Baahubali: Before the Beginning, #1)
  • நகுமோ லேய் பயலே: Nagumo Lei Payale
  • உறைப்புளி : Uraippuli
  • வாசிப்பது எப்படி?: vasippathu eppadi?
  • Once & Future (Once & Future #1)
  • Myla - Insurrection