Start by marking “That Dark and Bloody River” as Want to Read:
That Dark and Bloody River

That Dark and Bloody River

An epic novel by an award-winning author chronicles the settling of the Ohio River Valley, home to the defiant Shawnee Indians, who vow to defend their land against the seemingly unstoppable.
Published September 1st 1996 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1995)

Bob Mayer
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Eckert is the master of writing about the early frontier. His research is phenomenal. The narrative storyline tends to be a bit difficult, but that's because he's covering so much. Essentially this is the history of settling the Ohio River.

I really think if the people who live in that area knew how unbelievably brutal that frontier was, they'd be stunned. Both sides committed what we would consider atrocities but they were fighting for their lives and their livelihoods.

One example is the battle
Ellie Sorota
Nov 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-nonfiction
In That Dark and Bloody River Allan Eckert writes an engaging historical narrative, documenting the settlement of the Ohio river valley and the ensuing war of settlers and Indians. This is the first Eckert book I have read, but it looks like you can't go wrong, with an author who's been nominated seven times for the Pulitzer Prize in literature. His acclaimed "The Winning of America" 6 volume set follows the westward expansion, and has received high praise. Though his intention was to follow th ...more
Laure
Feb 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book, about the settlement of the Ohio River Valley, was recommended to me by a fellow cruise passenger last month. However, I found it tedious with it day-by-day recounting which whites died at the hands of the Native Americans, and vice versa. To really keep up with the book, I would have needed to constantly look at a period-accurate map of the area as well as keep a list of which settlers settled where - without those, both the places and names blended all together.

One interesting thing
Chuck
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Allan W. Eckert's "That Dark and Bloody River" covers the history of the settlement of the Upper Ohio River, concentrating upon the settlement of Kentucky and the period from the Revolutionary War until the Battle of Fallen Timbers.

I have been a fan of Allen Eckert's writings since reading his "Wilderness Empire" many years ago. Eckert's unique style is to write a series of short stories about various historical people loosely connected by deed and geography to the theme of the book and loosely
William
Feb 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another terrific effort by Eckert. Using contemporary diaries and documents, Eckert is excellent in conveying the atmosphere/attitude/background of events great and small in the settling of the Ohio River Valley, between Pittsburgh and Louisville.
While some criticize Eckert's "political license" of inserting dialogue (where no documents exist), his years of study of the principle characters, backed by extensive research, should allow him the occasional "license"--which is sporadically used.
The
Sharon
Apr 22, 2008 added it
It is really not fiction. The author Allen Eckart ex-
plains in his preface that he has used direct quotes which are based on original documents; this makes it not academic history, but generally it agrees with more conventional sources I have read. It covers the
history of the Ohio Valley from the pre-English inva-
sions to beyond the cession of most of Ohio in the
Treaty of Greenville of 1794. Relatives of mine were
involved in massacres of Indians and were in turn mas-
sacred themselves: at least t
Derek P.
Jan 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A meticulously researched account of the settlement of the Ohio River valley during the years before and after the American Revolution. Eckert presents a balanced narrative that makes it plain that there were heroes and villains on all sides: colonists, Brits, and native Americans. And the names emerging from that period of history--Simon Kenton, Sam Brady, Lewis Wetzel, Blue Jacket--are not the ones you expect. (Daniel Boone is there, but his story is reserved for another Eckert work, The Court ...more
Marty Grant
Jan 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book helps us understand the dilemma of both pioneer settlers and Native Americans during the white man's advance across the Ohio River in the late 1700's.
Erin
Oct 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was interested in reading this historical-fiction book because it mentions one of my ancestors in several places. I had hoped it would talk a little more about the boating industry that developed along the river, as another ancestor was a boatman on the Ohio; unfortunately I was disappointed in that. The book was interesting. The intro wasn't very narrative, and felt too long; though it did serve as a good background. The first-hand testimonies of events really helps to paint a picture of why ...more
Candice
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
I wanted to know more about the history of the area I grew up in. This really is a historic record based on extensive research. I thought it was well written and very interesting. Most of the entries were short reports of the experiences of people who were instrumental in the white man's settlement of the Ohio Valley, which includes Ohio, western Pennsylvania, and Kentucky. It also presents the story from the Native Americans' viewpoint. Basically, the settlers were ruthless, the new American Co ...more
Lisa
Jan 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
"Comprehensive and riveting..." is what The Columbus Dispatch review said of this Eckert masterpiece. I found this book delivered these promises, and then some. This book takes the reader deeper into the story started in Eckert's, The Frontiersmen.

That Dark and Bloody River tells the compelling story of the settling of the Ohio River Valley. The courage described of both the Whites and the Native Americans during the struggle is awe inspiring.

Eckert transports the reader to a time we can only
Doug
Aug 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any guy
Recommended to Doug by: Stu Anderson
Great book. Though it can be dry at times (especially at the beginning), but it more than makes up for it. It reminds you how violent the history of the US was and that the country is really built on a river of blood. Tells the gruesome tales of the settlement of the Ohio river valley and the warring which occurred between the indians and american settlers. Many atrocities committed by both side make this book very dark and very hard to put down. Just a great book, and will likely give anyone a ...more
Brian Andersen
I have read other Eckert books but I will admit I put this one off because of its size. It is a great book packed with much information told in an entertaining way. You really should read all the notes that enhance the story. Some of them are quite lengthy but help explain the background or important details about what happens later that would otherwise distract from the narrative. It also helps if you have a pretty good overview of this period of history prior to reading but it still stands on ...more
Richard Schick
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It is so easy to think of the frontier as the far west, the battle for the Ohio River valley was the more epic. The Indian nations were at their full strength and glory and the greed and ruthlessness of the whites unbridled.
Nancy Houston Fields
Jan 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Having grown up in the Ohio Valley, I found this book to be a fascinating account of events surrounding the settlement of that area. As a genealogist, it is a wealth of knowledge for anyone searching for ancestors who lived in the real "wild West" of Western PA/VA and Ohil River Valley.
Claudia
Mar 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Why this is classified as a novel here on GoodReads is baffling. It is, in fact, a meticulously researched and detailed account of the settling of the 1,000 mile long Ohio River. It is 630 pages in length with 200 pages of footnotes.

Kay
Aug 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Fascinating story of the Ohio River Valley. Got this book because it is related to my Genealogy. Helps me to understand their lives. Some were mentioned in the book. It was a very bloody time. Must have taken a lot of courage or desperation to settle in those times.
Jim LaSalle
Aug 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
A novel based on historical events during before, during and after the US War of Independence. Gives insight to the daily lives of settlers along the Ohio River. Especially interesting if you have lived or traveled in the Ohio River Valley. Heavily footnoted.
Matthew
Absolutely wonderful book detailing the early conflicts of native peoples and anglo-americans. With this book you get to intimitely know lesser known figures of American history like Logan, Cornstalk, Samuel McCulloch, the Greathouse brothers and Michael Cresap.
Sherrandy Swift
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An excellent read about the dangers of frontier life during the settling of the Ohio River Valley. Discusses the wars between the Indians and the white settlers encroaching upon their land.
Valentine
Jun 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: History buffs
Fantastic narrative history of the Ohio River Valley. Hard to put down, even though it's 630+ pages.
Dennis
Sep 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Another great book by A. Eckert. For those interested in history of settlements along the Ohio River, and beyond I highly recommend it.
Sally
Aug 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book because we were vacationing in Kentucky and Ohio and wanted a little historical perspective. Eckert never disappoints!
Barbara
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Dark and bloody indeed. Sometime simply a listing of atrocities committed. Good history though of a small geographical area.
Tracy Wilson
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent book about the settling of the Ohio river area. Highly recommended for those interested in early US history
James Robert
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Simply excellent. Daniel Boone, Tecumseh, Blue Jacket. All told by Eckert?? Yes, please.
Jim Hering
Dec 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
If you are interested in historical biography and have an interest in the settlement of the Ohio Valley, this is the book for you. Well written.
Marlyn
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very good book about the early settlement of the Ohio Valley. Enjoyed it very much.
David Sprague
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to David by: Cincinnati Library
"That Dark and Bloody River: Chronicles of the Ohio River Valley" is as good as historical fiction gets. The book seemed like it would never end and I hoped it would not. I had read a series by Allan W. Eckert many years ago. One volume was the Frontiersman and the series might have been called the Winning of America. I knew as soon as I saw the author I would love this book and it did not disappoint.
Some of this book were tales previously covered in those earlier books. I like that Eckert showe
Kate Joekel
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
History

Although this book has its share of horrible history, it is does not belong in the Mysteries and Horror section. This is a very readable history of the Ohio River in the 1700's. I don't know the accuracy of each incident related, but it is very readable and will be of interest to the reader who is likes history of the settling of our country.

• Enterprise: America's Fightingest Ship and the Men Who Helped Win World War II
  • Panther in the Sky: A Novel Based on the Life of Tecumseh
  • Daniel Boone: The Life and Legend of an American Pioneer
  • War on the Run: The Epic Story of Robert Rogers and the Conquest of America's First Frontier
  • Root and Branch: Charles Hamilton Houston, Thurgood Marshall, and the Struggle to End Segregation
  • 15 Minutes: General Curtis LeMay and the Countdown to Nuclear Annihilation
  • Red Mutiny: Eleven Fateful Days on the Battleship Potemkin
  • How to Be Secular: A Call to Arms for Religious Freedom
  • All for the Union: The Civil War Diary & Letters of Elisha Hunt Rhodes
  • The Americans, Vol. 2: The National Experience
  • The First Frontier: The Forgotten History of Struggle, Savagery, and Endurance in Early America
  • Mr. Jefferson's Hammer: William Henry Harrison and the Origins of American Indian Policy
Allan W. Eckert was an American historian, historical novelist, and naturalist.

Eckert was born in Buffalo, New York, and raised in the Chicago, Illinois area, but had been a long-time resident of Bellefontaine, Ohio, near where he attended college. As a young man, he hitch-hiked around the United States, living off the land and learning about wildlife. He began writing about nature and American hi
“In spite of these disasters, some of the tribesmen continued to fight for their territory, but they were quickly overwhelmed and taken into captivity, placed aboard ships and sold as slaves in the West Indies. At the same time the whites were bringing to America their own slaves whose skins were black. The first shipments of these unfortunates were brought to Jamestown for sale by the Dutch in 1619. Within two decades the British realized what a lucrative trade slavery was, so they ousted the Dutch slave traders and, in 1639, established their own Royal African Company to make massive raids on the native villages of the Dark Continent and bring the chained captives to America to satisfy the ever-growing demand for slave labor.6 In all such matters, the human cruelty inflicted on people of either red skin or black was of precious little concern to the imperious British.” 0 likes