Start by marking “Training for the Uphill Athlete: A Manual for Mountain Runners and Ski Mountaineers” as Want to Read:

Dovetailing on the success of 'Training for the New Alpinism' and Patagonia's own emphasis on all mountain use, 'TRAINING FOR THE UPHILL ATHLETE' translates theory into methodology to allow you to write your own training plans and coach yourself to endurance goals.

Steve House, one of the best mountaineers, and his coach Scott Johnston, and Olympic-level cross country ski c
Published March 12th 2019 by Patagonia

To ask other readers questions about Training for the Uphill Athlete, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Training for the Uphill Athlete

Start your review of Training for the Uphill Athlete: A Manual for Mountain Runners and Ski Mountaineers
Andreas
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sport, non-fiction
This is now my favorite book about training in general and mountain or trail running in particular. It starts with a description of sport physiology and theory of training that is easy to understand by the layperson. Based on these principles the training plans are later laid out. When you understand what you are doing then it's much easier to get the intensities right and stay motivated.

All the components are examined and no stone is left unturned. A special focus is put on creating a strong ae
Vince Snow
Spectacular. I loved the whole thing. I can't wait to implement much of what the authors talked about to improve my endurance. I loved all of the stories from the athletes. I loved the science. They have done their research. If you are looking to become a better endurance athlete this is the book for you.

In addition, it teaches a lot of life lessons. If you're trying to be better yourself, a) you have to have a plan and b) your plan can't resemble someone who is stellar at the improvement you'r
Scott Tennican
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Uphill Athlete combines elements of a coffee table book and a fitness manual. The heavy tome interleaves pictures and stories of elite athletes in mountain settings with training instruction for mountain runners and skiers. As with most fitness manuals, the content is highly redundant. One purpose of the redundancy seems to be to convince the reader that their paramount goal should be increasing aerobic capacity which can only be accomplished by zone 1 and 2 volume (i.e. long slow distance). It ...more
Paul J
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I would go as far as saying this is essential reading for any endurance athletes interested in endurance training and planning. Disclaimer: I am an enthusiastic recreational runner at a low-to-middle club standard, who has participated in events ranging from 5K to 50K.

The work of Phil Maffetone has been considered the gold standard by many (including myself) in the realm of endurance training. After reading this I believe it builds on much of Maffetone's principles (it references and credits him
Kyle
Oct 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in the sports covered
The content seems useful and is corroborated by both what I already knew and have heard from reputable sources, e.g., regarding polarized training, which is what the book endorses. I think the book is worth reading if you are interested in and especially self-coaching in the relevant sports.

The book, however, would have been improved with better editing:

As others have noted, obvious errors remain throughout the book, these are often only typos or photo captions that have been duplicated across m
Danny
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is phenomenal. It is extremely thorough, educational, entertaining, and practical. It is written by authors who know what they are talking about, and clearly put years of study and practice into developing the training method for mountain athletes. I have read this book after a season of tough races, and I am excited to see how I can transform myself through the offseason with the information I have learned. All runners can benefit from this book. Whether they are beginners, amateurs, ...more
Dana Larose
Sep 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: running, 2020, nonfiction
A really great good for endurance athletes. The intention is to provide you with a manual so that you can develop your own training plans. Two of the authors are very experienced coaches and Killian Jornet is arguably the greatest endurance athlete of all time. The target demographic is skimo racers and mountain ultra runners but most of the information applies to any endurance athlete, at least runners or skiers.

The first 1/3 of the book or so is a deep dive into physiology and what it actually
D
Apr 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Others have summed it up nicely, so just a few points: I eventually started skimming the long sidebar inspirational stories. I borrowed this from the library, so it being a coffee table book is of little interest to me. Overrall, I found the book very useful and started implementing things from the book right away. I'm simply training for better endurance for backpacking, but most of the book felt fairly relevant, except that of course there is no real focus on heavier packs except when the book ...more
Leivo
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book I ever read about training principles for Endurance sports like ultrarunning, mountain running, skimo (ski mountaineering).
This book is a distillation of hundreds of thousands of hours of racing, training, and coaching experience.
One of the author is Kilina Jornet, one of the best endurance athlete in the world.
1. The book explains physiology of endurance. It is essential to understand what does endurance mean in micro-level and how it affects you.
2. Methodologies of Endura
Brendan
Oct 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Short enough to read in a few days. Very happy with the overall layout and applicability of the book, but I wish they would’ve focused on the more technical aspects of uphill sports. While the information is solid, it is a fairly superficial analysis of actual uphill training and a bit more of an introduction guide to general long-distance sporting.

I would’ve enjoyed a longer treatment on muscular endurance and the pros vs. cons of weight training when it comes to bone density and injury prevent
Ian Wilson
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, whether the stories from various legendary runners - The stunning photos or the personal contribution from Killian?

The level of escalation of my understanding of what I should have been doing all along that I now have combined with the inspiration to do it has been incredible.

Even the Base phase and importance of it have been explained in such expert depth that my training has been adapting page by page.
Jeffrey R.
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely terrific for endurance athletes, recreational to competetive. Proven information on training that works and avoids injury. Consistent with my 40 years of training and competion in endurance sports. Easy and fun to read, it is also a beautiful book, inspiring, well organized and useful in creating and using/adapting actual training plans for individuals whether by the athlete or by coaches. Buy it. Read it. Enjoy.
Tait Sougstad
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Accessible, practical, comprehensive, illustrated, inspiring. Plenty of stuff to interest elite endurance athletes, but also actionable steps for an amateur like me. If you are looking for a thorough primer on the mechanics and importance of low intensity exercise (and the dangers of the emphasis if HIIT culture) you'll want to check this book out.
Eron
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My understanding of my physiological systems was formed largely by Steve House's other book, Training for the New Alpinism. Now I don't hike as much as I did when I used that book's methods. It was timely that the same minds produced a book geared towards mountain running, just as I was getting into it. This is a frequent reference.
Kai Segrud
Oct 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good for getting the why of it

Gives a good understanding of why you need to train at different paces, from a biological standpoint.

There is a heavy emphasis on avoiding overtraining, which is something probably most of us endurance atletes need to hear.

I don't exactly agree on their example volume weeks, as it feels much, much higher than necessary.
Jon Jay
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Training for the Uphill Athlete" follows a similar formula to House and Johnston’s first book, "Training for the New Alpinism," which I used extensively before moving to Boulder. Many sections of both books read like college-level texts, detailing the scientific nuances—in mostly general terms—about how and why endurance athletes require a different mindset and level of commitment than recreational CrossFit or SoulCycle enthusiasts.

The sometimes bland—but important—explanations of uphill athlet
Trung Nguyen Dang
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book with lots of pictures. Clear and easy to understand. I like the athletes' stories and Killian's notes.
The key take-away for me compared to other running books (which are typically geared towards marathons) is the focus on base training: eg the volume of low-intensity runs.
Joe M
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you want to learn how to self-coach for ultrarunning, this is the book to buy. You learn all of the first principles and go from there. House is exhaustively thorough and there are some amazing stories peppered throughout.
An Te
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All the right boxes ticked in this book. Sports physiology, nutrition, training plans with reasoning, progressions with what to expect, psychological priming for competitions all with countless athlete testimonials.
Niles Desmarais
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A must read for the endurance athlete looking to add structure to their training. House and Johnson eloquently explain the methodologies and reasoning behind low-intensity training and delve into detail the physiological adaptations that occur.
Melissa Zhang
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of the BEST books I’ve read this year: the science, anecdotes, mountain epics, and training plans packed into this gorgeous publication is pure pleasure for any rookie or pro trail runner, or an alluring gift for any runner seeking inspiration beyond the road.
Dalia
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!! After taking off, from being sick and law school, this book was amazingly helpful in coming back without hurting myself! Also, the athlete stories are inspiring!
Aaron Terrazas
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm excited to apply some of these suggestions, though the personal stories are pretty daunting.
Erin
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: running, nonfiction
An excellent in-depth training manual for anyone serious about improving their endurance in trail running and ski mountaineering.
Ryan Mazure
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book about endurance training. Even for normal running the insights to training is great
Tuomas Viskari
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Advanced level endurance sports training guide.
Tyler Jared
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good book, but probably better for people who have no background in knowing how to train
Britt Atack
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
For anyone wanting to train for endurance events this is a must read.
ALVIN
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple. Easy to understand.

Good sound advice. Kudos to the authors for making some of the complex topics so simple to understand. Highly recommended.
Hannah Jansen
Apr 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm embracing this training philosophy and trying to build a strong aerobic base before I ramp up intensity. It is very slow and boring, but hopefully after several months of this it pays off!

• Run or Die
  • Training Essentials for Ultrarunning: How to Train Smarter, Race Faster, and Maximize Your Ultramarathon Performance
  • The Happy Runner: Love the Process, Get Faster, Run Longer
  • The Rise of the Ultra Runners: A Journey to the Edge of Human Endurance
  • Hal Koerner's Field Guide to Ultrarunning: Training for an Ultramarathon from 50K to 100 Miles and Beyond
  • Sky Runner: Finding Strength, Happiness, And Balance In Your Running
  • Above the Clouds: How I Carved My Own Path to the Top of the World
  • 80/20 Running: Run Stronger and Race Faster by Training Slower
  • Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness
  • North: Finding My Way While Running the Appalachian Trail
  • Endure: Mind, Body, and the Curiously Elastic Limits of Human Performance
  • The Roll Model: A Step-by-Step Guide to Erase Pain, Improve Mobility, and Live Better in Your Body
  • Roar: How to Match Your Food and Fitness to Your Unique Female Physiology for Optimum Performance, Great Health, and a Strong, Lean Body for Life
  • Finding Ultra: Rejecting Middle Age, Becoming One of the World's Fittest Men, and Discovering Myself
  • Daniels' Running Formula
  • The Ultra Mindset: An Endurance Champion's 8 Core Principles for Success in Business, Sports, and Life
  • Running Rewired: Reinvent Your Run for Stability, Strength, and Speed