Start by marking “Song of Sacrifice” as Want to Read:

(Homeric Chronicles #1)

The heart of the Trojan War belongs to the women.
Mothers and daughters; wives and war prizes, whisper to us across time...
...remember our songs alongside the mighty men of myth.

As the Age of Heroes wanes, the gods gamble more fiercely with mortals’ lives than they ever have before. Women must rely on their inner strength and cunning to survive the wars men wage for gold
Published December 26th 2018 by Janell Rhiannon

To ask other readers questions about Song of Sacrifice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Song of Sacrifice

Start your review of Song of Sacrifice
Ben Alderson
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
TO BE HONEST.
I will not give this book less then 5 stars. It was breath taking, written beautifully. It is a story following the chronological order of a myth we know and love. The story of Troy, Paris, King Priam, Cassandra, Helen, Odysessus, and the greek gods.... leading up to the battle of Troy. I am so excited for the next book. Janell is a new, strong voice in the writing world and would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys slightly mature novels.
Teodora
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A VERY interesting retelling of the Greek mythology that we all know.

I particularly loved the way the characters were constructed, the author making sure we all can see the fact that everyone makes mistakes, even gods.

The book plot takes place before the Trojan War. There are so many perspectives of the characters that play even a tiny role in the development of the war. It is all about the connections formed between them and all the events that led to a greater purpose than they expected.
A
Randi Wilson
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made me fall in love with Greek mythology all over again. Gods, goddesses, nymphs, kings, queens, seers, betrayal, love, tragedy, longing, this book has it all. Janell Rhiannon skillfully blends the historical chronicles of: Paris, Achilles, Hector and Odysseus in one stunning chronological tale. Her artful writing style will pull you right into the story from the first sentence. This author is a great storyteller and I immediately connected with the characters while immersing myself ...more
Coco.V
Jan 06, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
FREE on Amazon today (1/6/2020)! ...more
Stephanie (Bookfever)
4.5/5

I actually already read this book two years ago when it was still called Song of Princes but since it got relaunched as Song of Sacrifice with a new title, cover and more chapters I decided to read and review it again. I'm so glad that the author, Janell Rhiannon, did this because I loved it even more than the first time around. Just look at that cover alone. It's so gorgeous. And once again I really enjoyed reading about these characters and the story in general.

A lot can change in two
Chantel
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Janell Rhiannon's Song of Sacrifice is easily one of my favourite reads of 2019. This book is the ultimate amalgamation of everything I love and want in a book. Forgive me readers, if I swoon and fangirl very hard as I write this review. I will try my best to keep it together and thoroughly edit, so I keep my love of this series succinct.

Song of Sacrifice is the first in the Homeric Chronicles series, a series detailing the Battle of Troy; this book is a precursor to the war and the events
Janell Rhiannon
Oct 08, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Just wanted to thank all of you who’ve enjoyed the Homeric Chronicles. I’ve really tried to raise the voices of the heroines in this series. Its not a feminist revision by any means, but I did feel like the women deserve as big a piece of the whole mythological narrative. I also APPRECIATE your support as I’ve relaunched the first book Song of Princes with a new title and cover...and 14 additional chapters as SONG OF SACRIFICE.

If you have a digital copy of Song of Princes and would like to read
rixx
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'm a Greek mythology geek, and **Song of Sacrifice** by *Janell Rhiannon* (as an ARC via NetGalley) should've been right up my alley. Alas, it wasn't – while it showed human perspectives on all the big players in the myths leading up to the Trojan war, the stories were as fragmented as the real myths, even if ordered by history. The novel thing I'd hope to see from a book such as this would be fleshed out characters and story arcs, but sadly, both the characters and the story stayed flat. The ...more
yasmine
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
5 stars well deserved
Thanks to Netgalley for the free copy of the book!

I devoured this book. I am big fan of Greek myths and I particularly love The Iliad and The Odyssey by Homer.

We all know these stories and still the author had a grip on me and I wanted to know how she would write their destiny. Her writing is beautiful, lyrical, as it should be.

She made me love characters I didn't like before. The way she showed that none of them are masters of their destiny brings so much more empathy.
David Baird
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I must admit from the start of this book I loved it. I really liked the idea that the gods walked among us and that they played out there games with humans as their pawns.

This is book one in the series and it focuses on the period preceding the Trojan war. Priam being forced by the gods to kill his new born son Paris in order to save troy..but things do not go to plan..the gods like to play games and someone else has other plans for this baby.

Paris ultimately survives early life in the care of
Crystal
Apr 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Disclaimer: I received this book free from Netgalley in return for an unbiased review.

This book was a DNF. It was not the book I was expecting. Here is a part of the description:

The heart of the Trojan War belongs to the women.
Mothers and daughters; wives and war prizes, whisper to us across time…
…remember our songs alongside the mighty men of myth.

Angelique
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I am a huge fan of classical antiquity and I've read many retellings/interpretations of the Trojan war. This is by far my favourite so far. There was never a dull moment. The book read like an epic high fantasy novel and I loved being able to picture all these events coming to life so vividly. I found myself invested in all the characters and I can't wait for the next book to pick up where Song of Sacrifice left off.
Sara Zaninelli
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“While you live, hope exists. It’s only hidden beneath your pain.”

Oh my god, I really think it’s so cruel to finish this book with Iphigenia’s sacrifice; I cried all my tears. Clytemnestra’s and Briseis’ stories are the one that touched me more. They are full of loss and desperation that I really identified myself with them and I felt all their pain! This way to rewrite stories that everyone knows with so much attention to women’s point of view is really exciting and makes them even more real
Clémence
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, retellings
I received an e-copy of this book in exchange for a honest review.

Of course, this book is a retelling of a very old tale, so you know what’s going to happen right from the start. However, that doesn’t make it any less amazing. Janell Rhiannon clearly made her research, and provides the reader with so many details, it is impossible not to get drawn into the story.

I thought it was an very interesting take on the original story. I usually envision the Trojans as the “villains” of the Trojan war,
Celtic's Library
Mar 29, 2019 rated it liked it
When I realized that this book was to be read next, I hesitated a moment. I had just finished reading Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. Clearly, the writing style would be different, along with their interpretation and artistic license they would take. While being comprised of the same story of Homer’s, each author took the characters in slightly different directions. In Song of Sacrifice, by Janell Rhiannon, we are blessed with the point of view of many characters whose actions and fates, ...more
Yvonne (It's All About Books)

Finished reading: April 9th 2019

"The more time passes, the more keenly we feel our losses carved into our very soul, even as the memories fade around the edges."

*** A copy of this book was kindly provided to me by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! ***

(view spoiler)
Lilly Charysma
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am going to spoil the end of this review by mentioning, from the first line, that this is a 5 stars book. Also, I do what to mention that I am very much in love with Greek mythology and especially with this particular story, with Troy and all it represented.

My first real book was one describing Troy and its destiny. I was too little to understand even the meaning of some of the words. Only after finishing the story, I started reading more about the Greek mythology and I loved it so so much. I
Jamie Brydone-Jack
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: p-2019
The book opens with a scene of Queen Hecuba of Troy having a hard time sleeping as she ponders the child she carries and the disturbing visions she's been having of coming conflict. She also reflects on her life as one of the wives of King Priam.

What a simply stunning book! It brought to life the myths and legends of ancient Greece in a most complexly detailed way. But, unlike the way we usually hear about them, the story is not told through the eyes of the heroes. Instead, it unfolds as seen by
Sumit
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The heart of the Trojan War belongs to the women. Mothers & daughters; wives & war prizes, whisper to us across time......remember our songs alongside the mighty men of myth. As the Age of Heroes wanes, the gods gamble more fiercely with mortals’ lives than they ever have before. Women must rely on their inner strength & cunning to survive the wars men wage for gold & glory.

In a world where love leads to war & duty leads to destruction, the iron hearts of heroines will
Littlebookterror
This is an an incredibly moving and entertaining retelling of the Trojan War.
The writing hooked me from the start, I loved all the perspectives we were given and watch it all slowly unfold. Rhiannon is a master at crafting tension and buildup without forgetting to let the character speak for themselves and show the small moments.
I did feel the pacing was fasttracked in the last part, as if there was no second book. And I have never read about so many births in one book; it got repetitive after
Sara Zaninelli
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“While you live, hope exists. It’s only hidden beneath your pain.”

gwendalyn _books_
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jannell Rhiannon

The Song Of Sacrifice is an Epic Retelling Of The Trojan War

A tragic adventure with an immense amount of characters including Gods and Goddesses. Epic War, sacrifice, and revenge .
Great detail and wonderful world building makes for this enjoyable read. A memorable retelling.

Received a complimentary copy of this book for an honest review
Simone Hnath
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really read a lot. 10-15 books a week. It’s not often that I stop and start from the beginning or will interrupt my partner to read aloud passages. This book made me cry, it made me angry, I felt the breath leave my body when the character’s did. It was, compelling. Ms Rhiannon has a wonderful ability to describe a scene and bring the reader into that place and make them feel, taste,smell, live, in that setting. That’s a rare ability. I’m anxiously awaiting the final novel.
Roos
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was so much better than I expected. I love it
Roos
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved all the extra scenes and chapters. Now let's go find book 2 =)
Sally Maxwell
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Xpresso Book Tours for the arc of this book, and what a book it is.
If you love Greek mythology, gods and goddesses, you are going to love this book.
Think Trojan war, and then go backwards, this is the story of how it all came to be, how everyone’s life and fates intertwined, an amazing read, very hard to put down, very well written, I loved it.
Heather Lovelace
Very well written tale weaving classic Greek mythology and history. Giving a new voice to stories of our youth. My only complaint is that it ended. Looking forward to Book 2!
Asia
Jun 15, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
The ebook copy of this book was provided by the author Janell Rhiannon, in exchange for an honest review.
Elle Rudy
May 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Okay I thought I'd be able to power through if I just took my time, but...oh my god. I don't care if this is considered a spoiler, people need to KNOW if they're going to read this. There's a scene where a woman who has recently given birth is feeding her newborn and her (terrible) husband comes in the room and becomes HORNY AND JEALOUS of his son breast feeding. So he demands she STOP FEEDING THE BABY and start BREAST FEEDING HIM & makes her manually get him off at the same time. And then ...more
Kerri
I wanted to like this book. I really did. A retelling of several different tales from Greek mythology? With what sounded like a heavy focus on the females of Greek legend? Count me in! This book, however, just did not do it for me.

The writing. *sigh* The writing... At times, it was engaging and easy to read, but, for most of the book, it was just a slog. There were bits were I found myself really enjoying how this author strung her words together, but most of it was a snoozefest. And can we talk
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Beasts of the Frozen Sun (Frozen Sun Saga, #1)
  • Galatea
  • Hand of Fire: A Novel of Briseis and the Trojan War (Trojan Threads Book 1)
  • Helen of Sparta (Helen of Sparta #1)
  • Shadow Frost (Shadow Frost, #1)
  • The Language of Spells (The Language of Spells #1)
  • Helen of Troy
  • Summer Magic (Thorne Witches, #1)
  • Siege and Sacrifice (Numina #3)
  • Aphrodite Made Me Do It
  • The First Girl Child
  • Reverie
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • L'Aigle et le Sphinx (L'Histoire Secrète #6)
  • The Arrival (BirthRight Trilogy, #1)
  • Lock & West
  • L'Histoire Secrète, Tome 7 : Notre-Dame des ténèbres
  • L'histoire Secrète, Tome 8:  Les 7 Piliers De La Sagesse
I write historical fiction and fantasy. I am fascinated by Greek mythology. In graduate school, I focused on the ancient history of Greece and Rome. Hooked by the “sword and sandal” world, I studied everything I could about mythology and Alexander the Great.

The Homeric Chronicles series is dedicated to merging dozens of Greek myths, including Homer’s epics, with plays, history, and archaeology. My

Homeric Chronicles (2 books)
  • Rise of Princes