Start by marking “Living Lies (Harbored Secrets #1)” as Want to Read:
Living Lies (Harbored Secrets #1)

Living Lies

(Harbored Secrets #1)

In the little town of Walton, Georgia, everybody knows your name--but no one knows your secret. At least that's what Lane Kent is counting on when she returns to her hometown with her five-year-old son. Dangerously depressed after the death of her husband, Lane is looking for hope. What she finds instead is a dead body.

Lane must work with Walton's newest deputy, Charlie Ly
Published May 21st 2019 by Fleming H. Revell Company

To ask other readers questions about Living Lies, please sign up.
Brenda This would work for teens. It has no offensive language or sex. There is some violence and several murders. The only triggers deal with mental health …moreThis would work for teens. It has no offensive language or sex. There is some violence and several murders. The only triggers deal with mental health issues.(less)

Start your review of Living Lies (Harbored Secrets #1)
Hannah
Wow, a fun new author to follow! I loved this book!

The suspense is excellent in this. But paired with the suspense is a very good small-town vibe, which generally isn't done or is just done by a Love Inspired Suspense author with scant chance for nice atmospheric descriptions. With Lane as a small-town restauranteur, there's so much that revolves around the quieter side of things, as well.

The mystery is edge-of-your seat as a killer not only can't be found but continues to make cryptic threats
Jaime Jo Wright
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Living Lies is a nail-biter that will make you play hookie from your day job, feed your children cereal for supper, and not stop reading until the last page. Natalie Walters' debut novel is intriguing and enticing, with a romance that will make you believe not only in love, but that you are worth being loved. It gripped me from the first chapter and didn't let go until the end!
Staci
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Solid debut!

This suspense novel is believable and features an unlikely heroine, one that suffers from depression. Lane captured my heart with her sweet spirit and desire to help others. Typically, an on again off again romance drives me bonkers, but it rang true knowing the main female character isn't confident of her worth or value.

The secondary characters were wonderful including young police officer Frost and an unnamed character to avoid spoilers.

I look forward to continuing this series.

My
Andrea Cox
FTC Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of this book from Revell Reads and a complimentary electronic copy from NetGalley. A positive review was not required. These are my honest thoughts.

What an important book for mental health awareness!

I was quite impressed by the author’s handling of depression, suicide, PTSD, and the support (and lack of support) various characters encountered and lived with. I’m eager to see how Mrs. Walters builds on these topics (or introduces us to new ones) in
Sarah Grace Grzy
Living Lies, book one in the Harbored Secrets series by debut author, Natalie Walters, instantly grabs your attention and, like a good suspense book, doesn’t let go. I became so attached to these characters that even after the story was over I still wanted to keep reading.

In her debut novel, Walters tackles subjects that I haven’t seen many fiction authors take on: depression and suicide. And she does so with great diplomacy and eye-opening realisticity. Lane Kent is just struggling for a ray of
Jerry
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book starts with a serious bang and rarely lets up. Between the homicide, all the twists and turns, the romance, and Lane's battle with depression, this one is full of intensity. Still, despite being Christian fiction, some of the violent details and emotionally disturbing moments may be too much for some readers. Proceed with caution. ...more
Cara Putman
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
In Living Lies, the author transports readers to small town Georgia where things aren't as they seem. When a teenager is found murdered, the question becomes why and who. The chain of events launched by the discovery of the body threatens to put Lane Kent's precarious world in danger. Her battle with depression has almost taken her life, and now she'll do anything to convince everyone else she is fine. Charlie Lynch has arrived in town just in time to be assigned to the murder, but finds himself ...more
Beth
What a wonderful debut! Though suspense is not my go-to genre, I was drawn to this story first because of the small town setting, but also because of the author's presence on social media. Say what you will, but I'm always drawn to a warm, down-to-earth person, especially online where things can be so shallow and superficial.

As I mentioned previously, the small town setting of Walton, Georgia comes to life in this story. From the locals who look after one another, to the diner where everyone gat
Deanne Patterson
This Book!

This Author!

Wow, let me tell you, I wasn't big on reading Christian fiction suspense before my son became a police officer.
Suspense is not a new genre but quite a few of the Christian fiction authors are jumping on the bandwagon of writing the hottest read genre now and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
I find it hard to believe this is the author's debut book. She definitely writes like she has quite a few books under her belt.
I am also so glad to see she brings depression front and center
Emilie Haney
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
With the charm of a small Southern town juxtaposed to the hurt of depression and the heartwarming love of a mother for her child, Living Lies (the first in the Harbored Secrets series) is a beautiful mix of loveable characters, mystery, and romance.

I had the pleasure of reading this book through a few times during its creation and after and can honestly say I fell in love with Charlie and Lane from the beginning. The combination of romance and real-life running alongside an investigation into a
Charlene
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-challenges
Absolutely loved it! With the suspense and the family community I just was hooked from the first chapter. The characters journey to freedom with God and the use of Bibical principles was an added bonus!!

Favourite quotes:
“She knew that hiding in the shadows of lies to avoid the truth was hurting her more than the speculation of others”.

“He makes all things new. Every morning you wake up is a day you can live freedom of knowing God has plans for you”.

I give Morgan Hallett 5 stars for an excellen
Abigail
Wow, this book blew my mind! I read it in less than 6 hours on my way back to Kentucky. This book keep my attention for the entire ride!!

From the very first page, I was drawn into the book. I could hardly put it down. Everything drew me in. The writing, characters, and the plot all made this book worthwhile. The suspense in this book had me continually guessing who was involved in the case and who was innocent.

The characters were real and authentic. Lane's story really touched me in a way that
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
oh my goodness, i loved this book! The characters, the plot, the setting, and the compassionate light it shines on depression & anxiety. Longer review coming soon...
Loraine
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Natalie Walters is a new-to-me author, but I will definitely be looking for more of her books. The suspense in this one is high paced from start to finish. The characters are well-developed and complex. Both MC's are realistic and have both every day weaknesses and strengths.

Set in small town Walton Georgia, Lane Kent has returned to her home town and purchased a bakery to support herself and her 4 year old son after the death of her husband in a car accident. Lane suffers from depression that
Sarita
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.75
Christian Suspense is my all time favourite genre, and when I find a new author in this genre, and one who delivered a enjoyable suspense, I want to do a happy dance. I'm feeling like this after reading Living Lies.

There was a great mystery around the murder of Sydney and why she died. Added to that a small town, a heroine who struggles with depression, a charming hero, the cutest little boy and very interesting side characters, you have a winning combo. Even though I guessed right away what
Dana Michael
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great solid debut by Natalie Walters. I think any romantic thriller reader will thoroughly enjoy this book. I know I did. This book deals with a heroine who suffers from depression and it gave me insight as to how those who suffer from this disease feels. I loved the hero. He was everything you'd want in one. Strong, handsome and brave. The mystery/thriller kept me turning pages.
*I was given a copy of this book by the publisher and this is my honest opinion.
Kaitlyn Krispense
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Living Lies certainly starts out with a bang! Opening right up with a murder mystery, I knew that this book would keep me right on my toes! The writing style kept me reading just as much as the plot, though—Ms. Walters knows how to spin a tale!

So, the characters.

Lane . . . oh my word. Right away, I wanted to jump into the book and pull her into my arms and hide her from every ugly thing life has to throw at her. She is definitely a character that will pull on your heartstrings!
Noah—hold on to y
Kav
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an astounding debut novel! And Natalie Walters brings something unique to the romantic suspense genre.

I love that she addresses the difficult topic of depression in this book. The insights she brings to Lane's character are phenomenal. Lane has allowed depression to define her for too long and this book is, in part, her journey towards not only accepting herself for who she is, but finding others to love on her and support her no matter what. As Ms. Byrdie says -- "Honey, we can only be who
Paula Shreckhise
Living Lies is the Debut novel by Natalie Walters.

I find it hard to believe that this is a debut novel! It is fantastic and real. I look forward to reading more by Ms. Walters.

The author tackles some tough topics but does so with compassion. She does not shrink away from showing the struggles of depression and PTSD. She shows many perspectives through her characters, Lane Kent, her parents and veteran Miguel. You can see the growth of the characters as they deal with the many facets of these d
Rebecca
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it

"We should be ashamed that so many people are forced to suffer in silence . . . "

Lane Kent suffers in silence, her battle with chronic anxiety and depression leading her to think that the edge of a precipice is safer than the levels of reality. But it was there on the edge, that strength met weakness and hope introduced himself to despair. If only there hadn't been a dead body.

Charlie Lynch arrives in Walton, Georgia to assume the position of deputy sheriff when he is immediately distr
Melanie
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Living Lies is Natalie Walters debut novel and it was a great read! I cannot wait to see what other stories this author comes out with. ;)

The suspense was wonderful. It kept me guessing and there were enough tense moments to keep me interested. I liked the characters a lot and how the MC suffered from depression (not something prevalent in a lot of books).

All in all, Living Lies was very good and I recommend it to fans of this genre.

*Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of
Madison
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Living Lies is the first book in the Harbored Secrets series by debut novelist, Natalie Walters. Walters has done a superb job of crafting a thrilling suspense, with threads of heart-pounding romance and important messages about acceptance and removing the stigma of mental health and depression. I truly enjoyed this exciting book and I look forward to reading the subsequent titles in the series.

Lane Kent knows heartbreak. She knows the guilt of her past mistakes. Returning to her home town with
Maureen Timerman
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
What a great debut novel this author has given us, with non-stop action and dealing with some tough subjects, I was quickly page-turning.
From beginning to the end, you really don’t know how this will all turn out, or whom is really the evil? With a young girl murdered, and a town wanting answers, with peeking toms and other dangerous threats, we keep looking!
We are offered a bit of romance, but deep problems threaten all, and you need to wait to the very end for answers!

I received this book thro
Abigail Harris
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My Review:

Genre: Suspense, romance, Christian fiction.

My Rating: 5 stars.

My Recommendation: 16 up, warnings below.

My Favorite Character/s: It was so hard to read Lane's story but she was a character that you could see was struggling with something and needed help. I loved how her character changed by the end of the story.

My Verse for Lane is Matthew 5:4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. (King James Version.)

And Charlie with little Noah was so so so so adorable!

My Thoughts
Patricia Bradley
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an edge of your seat page-turner! I stayed up past midnight two nights in a row to see what happens! Mystery, murder, intrigue, Vietnam veterans with PTSD, and a heroine struggling with depression, something a lot of people hide.

Walters did a great job of creating characters I cared about. And the suspense was high. I enjoyed watching the romance develop between Lane and Charlie and the way Lane grew throughout the book. I loved the small town of Walton, Georgia. It made me think of my
Dawn
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book kept my interest from the first page. I'm always a little unsure as to what to expect from an author's first book. Do I hope I'll find a new must read author? Will I be bitterly disappointed? This book fell in the first category for me.

I felt bad for Lane, being the person who literally stumbles upon a dead body. But the way that those outside of her family tried to protect her made me want to just give her a hug. Her family, I didn't care for them. But I kept turning the pages in thi
Christine Indorf
What I'd liked most about this book was how the main female character, Lane, was dealing with her depression. She has suffered from it about her whole life. Because of it she has caused a lot of heartache for her and her family. Charlie the main male character meets her when Lane was thinking to kill herself jumping off a bridge. Once getting to know her he falls in love with her. They dealt with this subject well. Her family didn't really support her and she felt alone. I have dealt with depres ...more
Maria Clara
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rev
There is something very special about opening a debut novel and I'm so happy to have read this novel especially.
Sometimes when I pick up a suspense novel, I find that they're mostly plot drive. And I'm NOT complaining! But my personal taste draws towards character development.

Natalie Walters surely knew how to balance out suspense, romance, and character growth. And I truly believe this book can be a tool to start conversations and give an understanding about mental illness to those mostly on th
Lucy
Jun 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Very impressive debut novel that grabs hold and has your attention held captive. It was nice to see PTSD and depression handled in such a poignant and respectful manner. The characters seeped into your heart and felt like family by the end. The suspense was spot on and had me chomping at the bit to put all the pieces together. Add the romance and an upstanding hero and you have a winner. Faith is subtle but woven perfectly into the story. I hated for it to end but look forward to reading th ...more
Amy
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Living Lies is a pretty good debut by Natalie Walters. It, also, begins her series, Harbored Secrets. This book is full of mystery and suspense with stay on the edge of your seat action. I did not find this tale predictable at all. I was left guessing up until the last few pages.
I give Living Lies a well deserved five plus stars. I look forward to the next installment from Harbored Secrets series. Well done, Miss Walters, well done!
I received this book from the publisher. This review is 100% my
Play Book Tag: [Poll Book Tally] Living Lies by Natalie Walters 4 stars 1 7 Apr 29, 2020 11:54AM

• A Secret to Die For
  • Never Let Go (Uncommon Justice #1)
  • Beneath the Surface (Dive Team Investigations, #1)
  • Foremost (The Lost Princesses, #2)
  • Evermore (The Lost Princesses, #1)
  • Always (The Lost Princesses, #0.5)
  • The Secrets of Paper and Ink
  • Belinda Blake and the Snake in the Grass (Exotic Pet-Sitter #1)
  • Dangerous Illusions (Code of Honor, #1)
  • Almost Home
  • Murder in the City of Liberty (A Van Buren and DeLuca Mystery #2)
  • The Golden Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #8)
  • Hostile Intent (Danger Never Sleeps, #4)
  • The Edge of Mercy
  • The Crossing at Cypress Creek
  • As the Light Fades
  • The Wedding Dress Christmas (The Wedding Collection)
  • Stitches in Time (The Deacon's Family, #2)
See top shelves…

My world revolves around GIJOE and our three adult (or almost adult) children who keep my life anything but predictable. Our boots hit the ground wherever the Army sends us but home is when we’re all together no matter the zipcode. My passion is writing stories where adventure meets love and share my belief that life rooted in purpose is a story worth telling.

Facebook: https://bit.ly/3cxla3i
Instag

Harbored Secrets (3 books)
  • Deadly Deceit (Harbored Secrets, #2)
  • Silent Shadows (Harbored Secrets #3)