Start by marking “All Manner of Things” as Want to Read:
All Manner of Things

All Manner of Things

When Annie Jacobson's brother Mike enlists as a medic in the Army in 1967, he hands her a piece of paper with the address of their long-estranged father. If anything should happen to him in Vietnam, Mike says, Annie must let their father know.

In Mike's absence, their father returns to face tragedy at home, adding an extra measure of complication to an already tense time.
Published June 4th 2019 by Fleming H. Revell Company (first published June 2019)

To ask other readers questions about All Manner of Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Manner of Things

Start your review of All Manner of Things
Jocelyn Green
Some books are meant to be read. All Manner of Things is meant to be lived in. The pages enfolded me into a raw and beautiful family journey which touched me on a soul level. This exquisitely rendered portrait of hope, courage, and love in a time of war is a triumph and a gift. Susie Finkbeiner at her finest.

(That is my official endorsement of this treasure. I will also add here, that I want to get this book in hardcover when it releases and put it on a forever shelf and you are all in for SUCH
Deanne Patterson
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Some book are meant to be read and you think nothing more of them, not so with this one. You will savor it and remember it for a long time. A emotional coming of age story set in the 1960's.
The Jacobson's could be your own family or your close neighbor friend's.
You will feel privileged to get to know them through the pages of this book, celebrate their happy times with them and want to comfort them through their sadness.
A true keeper, this book will keep your attention from first page flip thr
Susan
Oh, my...my heart is full.

Susie Finkbeiner has penned a beautiful story of family and the love we share in the many relationships we hold in life. That of a child, sibling, spouse or friend. This is a story of how we care for each other through the hardships life brings and how we should treasure the sweet everyday moments as memories are being created to last a lifetime. It is also a story of relying on our faith in God, that He knows of our suffering and promises that all will be well. This e
Jamie
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
One of the best books I’ve read this year. Beautiful storytelling and writing. Get this book!

(Thanks to the author for sending me a copy).
Olivia
*I received this book to read from Revell in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts are my own.*

I adore this book.

I adore it, not because it's all sugary and perfect, but because it's real! The characters come alive, the daily, normality of life is relatable, and the ups and downs of family life was special to me. There is sadness, but also laughter too. There is disappointment, but also love. There is anger through confusion, but hope in the future.

This book has everything a book should ha
Rachael
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A well written story with incredibly well developed characters. The timeline being that of Vietnam made it fascinating as that’s not a common backdrop for a fiction novel. For me, this story was definitely driven by its characters...by the end of the novel, you feel a part of the family...the depth of the characters so real, genuine, and engaging.

First of all, I know people who read my reviews will want to know that words such as “Golly,” “Gosh,” and similar words are used frequently throughout
Nancee
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This novel brought me back to my 18th year in 1967. Annie could have been the girl next door, someone I once knew. It was a fear filled time with our young men being drafted and enlisting in order to fight the war in Vietnam. Families were closely knit, but not without their problems and heartache.

Annie's story takes place in West Michigan, a place I call home. Her Dutch heritage mimics my own, and the setting is familiar and filled with the conservatism of the Dutch that emigrated in great num
Beth
“Behind the clouds the sun is shining. If only we have eyes to see it.”

This is a beautiful, artfully done book. Not many novels move me to the point of tears, but All Manner of Things did. I finished several days ago, and I’m still thinking about it, still flipping through its pages and re-reading the parts of it that spoke to my heart.

Set during the Vietnam War, this poignant story is about family, forgiveness, and hope in the hard things. Annie’s family is well acquainted with hardship. Her fa
Heather Gilbert
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is worth far more than the measly 5 stars I can give it. It's like a perfect gem of a story, a glimpse into the life of a family who could have been any family during the Vietnam War. And people, it made me cry. I rarely, if ever, cry for books, but I did for this one. I won't tell you why, though, so don't think this is a spoiler. This one just edged right onto my Top Reads of 2019 shelf--the very top of the shelf. I loved Finkbeiner's first books, yet somehow she's getting even bette ...more
Cathy Daniel
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can't remember the last time I sobbed this hard over a book. I can't stop crying to the point of physical pain. Honestly. Can't even try for an eloquent review. 😭
Paula Shreckhise
All Manner of Things by Susie Finkbeiner is a story told through the eyes of Annie Jacobsen and of what her family life was like during two years of the Vietnam Era.
This talented author writes with a realism that tugs at my memory. Wow what a trip down memory lane. I graduated highschool in 1967 so there were lots of familiar things in this story. My girlfriend had a Corvair, I had cat eye glasses. I listened to the same music that Annie and her friends did. I hope readers will look up some of
Hallie Szott
I fell in love with Susie Finkbeiner’s storytelling in her Pearl Spence series, exploring life during the Dust Bowl. Now, with All Manner of Things, she turns her historical lens to the Vietnam War and delivers a story no less beautifully told. I have not read many novels set during this time, but Finkbeiner brings it to life with vivid characterizations, heart-wrenching circumstances and choices, and poignant themes of hope and forgiveness.

All Manner of Things is one of those stories I will not
Chris Jager
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Susie writes books that bring you home. Set in the late 60’s this book is a great reminder that not everything is the same every where. A small town where sending boys to fight in Vietnam was a reason to honor them not call them names and turn our backs on them.

Well written and a delight to read. Make sure you put this book on your to be read pile.
Jennifer Kidd
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely fell in love with the characters in this book from the beginning. I love how Susie weaves history with heritage and emotions In this book. I grew to LOVE the characters - not just the main characters, but all of them. I have some (A LOT) of Dutch heritage and love how that was included in this book. I wish I could have shared this book with my grandma, Rosemary. I am positive she would have fallen in love with the characters and their story too. I would not at all be opposed to a se ...more
Jesseca Wheaton
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Um okay then. And even though I called that and could have told you exactly the chapter it would happen on ... I'm still not okay.
Jypsy
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well... I've refrained from reviewing All Manner Of Things because, what can I possibly say to explain this book? I honestly don't want to tell you much about the actual story content because it should be experienced without prior knowledge. A Vietnam era setting is uncommon, and I think it's a brilliant backdrop. A family in the 1960s with a boy(s) gone to war was/is every family, then and now. Everything has changed since then, yet it really hasn't. What I'm getting at is the universal feeling ...more
Heidi Chiavaroli
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, touching story. This is my first Susie Finkbeiner book, but it definitely won't be my last. I was completely drawn into the characters and the Vietnam time period, which was so well done. Susie is not afraid to explore the authentic, real places of a story, and I so appreciated that. Very much looking forward to reading more from this author.
Lori
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This beautifully written story really tugged on my heart strings!
Rebecca
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Sometimes he feels so far, as if to never reach us. We call for him, we beg him to come . . . Then we see his power on display and remember, he has gone nowhere."

Annie Jacobson has experienced a lot of "leaving" during her eighteen years. First, her father and now her older brother. Volunteering for service to his country, Mike Jacobson begins a journey that is guaranteed to send him towards the very epicenter of the Vietnam War. In the meantime, back at home, Annie's world tilts dangerously t
Anne
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Having read the author's series set in the Dust-Bowl era of the Depression, and knowing this one was set in the similarly turbulent era of the late 60s, I knew I was in for an emotional read with depth and real struggle. My expectations were met and surpassed!

Ultimately, this book is about eternity, but it grapples with loss and worry and fear as well. The themes would be meaningless, though, if the story were less, but this reader was gripped by the story of the main character and her family a
Becca (Reflections From My Bookshelves)
All Manner of Things is a heartfelt book seen through the eyes of Annie Jacobsin during the Vietnam War. Wonderfully written and thought provoking, It's a story of forgiveness, second chances and hope. I loved how we see the world through Annie's eyes. The letters sent home from her brother scattered throughout the story gives the readers glimpse of the war. It is not a fast paced story but one that ebbs and flows like life does. I really enjoyed this book. I don't know a lot about the Vietnam W ...more
Camille Eide
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This.
This is the kind of heart-stirring, epiphanic relationship story I love to read, write, ponder, watch, and ponder some more. I read All Manner of Things in one sitting, but I know I'll be thinking about these characters and processing them in my heart a long time. The story inspires to love without restraint, to not duck and cover. Finkbeiner has painted a beautiful, touching portrait of family love, and the priceless value of generations and faith and dreams, with strokes that blend and in
Staci
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Beautifully written novel about the Jacobson family in 1967 and 1968. Oldest child Mike chooses to enlist in the Army. Left behind are his immediate and extended family that adore and miss him. I loved hearing this novel though the voice of Annie, Mike's younger sister. Letters scattered throughout the novel were a nice addition.

The description of a few secondary characters was spectacular: Frank (Mike's father), Bernie (Annie's boss) and Walt (Annie's classmate).

My gratitude to author Amanda Ba
Maureen Timerman
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
A read that feels like I sitting a talking with friends, a page-turner for sure, and a hard time for this family, friends and country.
I loved the touch on the Dutch heritage, my husband’s family came to this country with a land grant from the King of Holland, but sadly the heritage has long been lost.
I grew up during this time, and the book slams me with reminders, and what was happening during this time, and the losses.
This is a book to savor, while I could have finished it quickly, I refused t
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Susie writes like she knew me when I was growing up. The places and people she describes are so familiar it's like I'm visiting my childhood. Susie weaves real world scenarios into her fictional family that are easily relatable and intimately emotional.

I have sincerely enjoyed each novel Susie Finkbeiner has shared with her readers as she grows and expands as a researcher and writer. Kudos to you, Susie!
Lori
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wish I could give this book more than 5 stars. It was an emotional book and hope was even offered through the entire book. Oh and I can't leave out forgiveness either.
Susie you have written another fantastic story that stirred my emotions and I'm not a crier.
I also loved that this is told in 1st person my favorite gender. I felt more in tune with the characters.
Annie is a marvelous woman even though there were times I knew she didn't want to be. There were things that I loved about her. In so
Cheryl Barker
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I loved this book so much. Definitely one of my top reads for the year. All Manner of Things by Susie Finkbeiner is such a raw and powerful story of a 1960s family dealing with real life and real emotions. The straightforward and even at times understated tone the author uses in telling the story is absolutely perfect and in fact causes it to pack a punch that truly lingers. This is one of those books that leaves you feeling not quite ready to move on to the next. As an added note, I loved ...more
Deana Dick
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes stories just captured you and take you away. You forget everything around you and focus on every detail of the story. This book is exactly that. A story that unravels the 1960s when the Vietnam War was in the headlines and the country was in chaos as demonstrations broke out over the country.

It is easy to relate to Annie because she is such a charismatic character. Her family life has been difficult at times with a father not active in her life. Her oldest brother Mike, is like the man
Jessica Baker (A Baker's Perspective)
There really are not enough words to accurately explain how much this story moved me and touched my heart. I sobbed dearing parts of it - and that can be kind of embarrassing when you're in the lunch room, but oh well! It was so well written, beautifully thought out, and I personally found it so easy to connect with the characters. Finkbeiner has truly outdone herself with this one.

Families are complicated, even in the 1960's they were complicated. The Jacobson's were certainly no exception to
Jill
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads

All Manner of Things is a beautifully written, character driven novel set during the Vietnam conflict. I loved the characters and the small town Michigan setting. The writing style is lyrical and poetic. Faith plays a dominant role in the story. The faith of the main characters grows immensely through out the book. This is a quiet novel, but a lot happens by the end. Be prepared to have your heart broken. It's a sweet coming of age story, and it tackles a lot of difficult subjects. I highly reco
Review for All Manner of Things 1 1 Aug 24, 2020 04:23PM

• Almost Home
  • The Words Between Us
  • Missing Isaac
  • We Hope for Better Things
  • Veiled in Smoke (The Windy City Saga, #1)
  • Eve's Daughters
  • An Uncommon Woman
  • Finding Lady Enderly
  • Living Lies (Harbored Secrets #1)
  • Yours Truly, Thomas
  • Whose Waves These Are
  • A Glitter of Gold (Georgia Coast Romance #2)
  • Echoes Among the Stones
  • Light from Distant Stars
  • A Slender Thread
  • Flight of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #2)
  • My Dearest Dietrich: A Novel of Dietrich Bonhoeffer's Lost Love
  • Overcomer
Susie Finkbeiner is the author of All Manner of Things as well as the CBA bestselling Pearl Spence series.

When she’s not writing or traveling to speak at retreats or conferences, Susie enjoys lunch dates with her husband, reading with her kids, and drinking coffee with good friends.