Start by marking “Loving Evangeline (Patterson-Cannon Family, #2)” as Want to Read:
Loving Evangeline (Patterson-Cannon Family, #2)

Loving Evangeline

(Patterson-Cannon Family #2)

Evangeline Shaw is the key to the conspiracy that threatens Robert Cannon's company. Classified software developed by Cannon's group is being sold to a foreign government without his approval. It isn't just theft or a case of corporate espionage -- it's treason. And the trail leads straight to Shaw -- who by all accounts has both the means and the motives.
Determined to han
Mass Market Paperback, 249 pages
Published August 25th 1998 by MIRA (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Loving Evangeline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Loving Evangeline

Sandra
Robert Cannon (wealthy CEO and President of Cannon Group) discovers that there is a conspiracy threatening his company. He acquires info about some people who could be involved in this, including innocent Evie (Evangeline) Shaw, the owner-operator of a marina. (The bad guy, Landon Mercer, is using one of her boats at the marina and selling info to the enemy.) Robert suspects that Evie is part of this conspiracy and he visits the marina to spy on her...

I didn't enjoy this book at all. The hero to
*TANYA*
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I needed something sappy and lite, this hit the mark and surpassed my expectations. 'Twas lovely, this was written back in 1994, I got a kick out of the "fax machine, dial up tone" and "having to pull over to use a pay phone" or "mailing out a check for payment". Ahh, memories. Lol.
KatieV
I love the old school Linda Howard books. Another where the hero suspects the innocent heroine of evil doing, but also wants to have sex with her, and this hero is a real doozy. Wow, the things he does to ruin her life while sleeping with her! You'll want to gleefully smash his face :) The sex scenes were also pretty hot/intense in that caveman way LH heroes have.

If you're familiar with her work, you'll know that LH heroes almost never grovel enough. In fact they very rarely grovel at all. They
Lisa Kay
Photobucket
★★★★ I really wondered how Ms. Howard was going to pull this one off; I thought for sure she had painted herself into a corner with our hero, Robert Canners, step-brother to Madelyn Patterson of Duncan's Bride fame. Robert is nothing if he’s not arrogant, especially with his self-confidence in his ability to seduce women.

Indeed, he’s not above sleeping with the enemy, even if they are suspected of treason. Rich, powerful, coolly decisive, and presuming too much, he has our Southern Belle heroin
boogenhagen
Jenny
Wow! I have no words! I am speechless! To quote another reader "the passion of the hero was so intense and literally palpable. This was ultimately the greatest passion I have witnessed by far in any romance books and the hero simply bitten all the heroes I have read to this moment."

The man was sex on legs and the love scenes so sensual so steamy, erotic and passionate I was actually blushing! Robert Cannon is the ultimate dominant alpha male. Confident, possessive, arrogant. Christian Grey who?
Naksed
peachygirl
Inspite of being jerks, LH's heroes always seem to make my heart flutter and Robert was no exception.
And Evie was so damn resilient that it hurt to read about her at times. One of the best female protagonists I've read about.
A completely satisfying read this was.
Leona
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
meh..I wanted to take the hero out back and shoot him.

Aou
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Don’t try to decide how you’re going to manipulate me into doing what you want. You’re too intelligent for your own good, and too damn subtle. Nothing really reaches you, does it?” She spread her hands far apart and gestured. “You’re over here, and everyone else is way over here, and never the twain shall meet. Nobody and nothing gets close to you. You’re willing to marry me, but nothing would change. You’d still keep yourself closed off, watching from the distance and pulling strings to make ...more
Jane Stewart
4 stars. Good story. Intense emotions. "He done her wrong" and she found out.

I enjoyed reading about the characters and their conflicts. Robert's passion at the end was mesmerizing. I loved it.

But it dragged in the middle. When I read the paperback several years ago I didn’t notice the slow middle, but I felt it recently when listening to the audiobook.

STORY BRIEF:
Robert suspected Evangeline was selling classified information to enemies of the U.S. So he spied on her and caused financial diffic
Jacqueline J
Jun 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: willaful
I love this book. It's a favorite reread. The heroine is very strong and resourceful and has the extremely alpha hero tied up in knots. This book has a lot of high powered emotion throughout the entire thing. The writing is strong and fast moving. So much so that even on a reread, I can't bear to put it down but devour it as quickly as possible.
Esther
Rating 4.5

Loved this the second time around too. But Duncan's Bride was hard to beat so didn't love it as much as that one.

The hero is swoon worthy for sure. Strong heroine and sad past.

Nothing gets to me more than a hero who adores children.

Wonderful read.

Mara
Oct 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
With a different ending, I might have liked it more. But I needed some heavy groveling to forgive and forget. The i love u was meaningless for me. Not fake, simply if you destroy someone's life so callously, there no coming back. And here she forgot everything, the betrayal, the lies, the loss of her life. The simple declaration was enough.
Sorry, I understand national security, I don't condone everything in the name of it.
Roksana
heroine was to die for! One of a kind

My immediate pull factor to this story was the passion of the hero! It was literally palpable and expressed in a way you could touch it!!! This was ultimately the greatest passion I have witnessed by far in any romance books and the hero simply bitten all the heroes I have read to this moment.

With all respect I disagree with other reviewers regarding heroin as weak and lacking backbone by allowing the hero abusing her. She was kind, considerate of others, wit
Preeti ♥︎ (Romance She Reads)
This is one of those books where you absolutely adore one mc and dislike (if not hate) the other.
The h was amazing-strong, quiet, loyal, loving, proud and wary of emotional attachments and hurt.
The H was a certifiable assh*le, no doubt. Cold, manipulative, detached, callous, supercilious and what have you.

(view spoiler)
Vintage
More of a companion piece than a sequel to Duncan's Bride, Loving Evangeline has another great heroine. I mean awesome, sweet, loving and yet a spine of steel. No compromising her principles for any hero. She can admit she loves a rat without sacrificing her pride to be with one. Evangeline and Madelyn, in addition to having great names, could give life lessons in how to be strong women without announcing the fact every five minutes. Seriously, I want to have cocktails with these women.

Anyhoo, R
Chantal ❤️
Robin
Robert Cannon is the CEO of a software company that has a contract with the government. When he finds out that someone is selling his software to a foreign government, he vows to get to the bottom of it. Robert's security team leads him to Evie Shaw, a young widow who lives in Alabama and owns a marina. What drove this woman to commit treason? Robert decides to "vacation" in Alabama and get to know Evie.

I read this book a few years ago. Though I liked Evie and thought she was a strong heroine,
Cheesecake
Evangeline and the Douchebag aka Robert.
I love Linda Howard but this one was almost as disappointing as An Independent Wife.
Robert was a selfish bully who thought his sh*t didn't stink.
Robert runs a software company that sells programs to the government. He also has some clandestine training and so when it turns out there is a traitor working for him, he is determined to catch the culprit himself. Evangeline runs the marina where the traitor rents boats to do his illegal rendezvous. Through pu
Rhapsody
Mar 10, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, romance
This was somehow an unsatisfying read. Robert, a filthy rich businessman who was once involved in the intelligence service and keeps himself emotionally removed from everything, goes to Alabama to investigate a case of espionage going on in his company. One of the people under suspicion is the owner of a marina, Evangeline, a very attractive thirty year-old widow whom Robert can't resist. He sets out to seduce her even as he suspects that she's involved in treason.

I should have loved it, but Rob
Margo
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a "5 for OTT, 1 for romance" special.

THere is absolutely no way you can judge the H in this book using any normal standards of behavior and find him anything other than loathsome. He's immediately caveman-possessive of the h from the first moment he sees her, and is wildly jealous of any man she looks at, (view spoiler)
D.G.
This is one of those old-fashioned Linda Howard books that you end up enjoying even if the hero acts in despicable ways. I really don't know how Ms. Howard does it!

Robert believes Evie is in cahoots with one of employees in selling secrets to a foreign power. Even though this is a serious business, the FBI lets him investigate on his own instead of doing their job. As soon as he meets Evie, he's attracted to her immediately and decides to do his investigating from her bed.

Evie's husband died 12
Hasnamezied
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
So I read this amazing novel and I was definitely in love with it .Evie is a powerful character and I loved how she was so independent on her self all the time. There are alot of moments when I cried for certain events in it .Robert is that kind of a man you will wish for a lover but not an enemy . Totally enjoyable
Erinaceina
I was deeply disappointed by this book. Given the setup, I thought I would be bound to love it, but Robert Cannon, the hero, acted appallingly. I'm a fan of both Big Misunderstanding setups and ultra-alpha heroes, but his behaviour jarred too much. Perhaps if I'd been able to feel more of his inner angst and turmoil, I'd have reacted differently to his actions, but as it was they just left me cold. As for Evie, I found her behaviour TSTL, and the descriptions of her relationship with her dead hu ...more
LaFleurBleue
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Although the hero is extremely alpha and dominant and really behaves like an ass for the major part of the book to the heroine, whom he believes to be entangled in a treason with one of his employees, I liked it, because his behaviour to the heroine when face-to-face is really sweet.
I also liked the heroine who was very independent, had been badly hurt by the death of her husband former childhood sweetheart and overall behaved as I would have expected.
I had not read yet the previous book in thi
Delta
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Linda Howard fans
3.5 Stars
The hero is such a selfish, manipulative, rat-bastard, that I kept hoping Evie would tell him to take a long walk off of a short pier at her marina!! Maybe it should even be a 3 instead of 3.5, but I had to love Evie and her generous, sensitive, and independent (except for falling for the H) spirit.

If you love a sweet heroine at the mercy of an alpha male (anti-)hero, you may enjoy Loving Evangeline.
Angela James
Nov 09, 2013 added it
Shelves: 2013, category
Really classic Howard. I'm surprised I hadn't read this one before, but I did like it and had an enjoyable few hours with the story. If you're looking for something in the "possessive hero" category, this one fits.
Elizabeth Lawless
Mar 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was an outstanding and emotional book ... one of my all time favorite reads ever.
Joan
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow, “Loving Evangeline” was an exquisite follow up to “Duncan’s Bride.” I was initially skeptical of the virgin widow plotline and thought that it would be another tropy explanation (gay, impotent, elderly ex-husband). But I was so very wrong. Yes, Evangeline was portrayed as a sweet and kind heroine but also one with integrity, resilience, and a spine of steel…a true heroine in every sense of the word.

Usually, I detest most heroines in contemporary romances because too often writers define st
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Books that have become "bad" movies 4 43 Feb 04, 2013 07:59AM

• Granite Man (MacKenzie-Blackthorn #4)
  • Blue Sage (Western Lovers: Ranch Rogues, #2)
  • Blade's Lady
  • Dangerous Passion (Dangerous, #3)
  • Trapped by Vialli's Vows
  • Dishonourable Proposal
  • Upon a Midnight Clear
  • Jilted
  • Shadows at Midnight
  • Lelaki Dalam Ingatan
  • Magic Embrace
  • The Winter Heart
  • Gabriel Hawk's Lady (The Protectors, #9)
  • Notorious Angel (Love and Adventure Collection, #4)
  • Dark Master
  • Hidden Love

Linda S. Howington is an American best-selling romance author writing under the pseudonym Linda Howard. After 21 years of penning stories for her own enjoyment, she submitted a novel for publication which was very successful. Her first work was published by Silhouette in 1982. She is a charter member of Romance

Patterson-Cannon Family (2 books)
  • Duncan's Bride (Patterson-Cannon Family, #1)
“I’m really not hungry,” she repeated, lifting the coffee cup and inhaling the fragrant steam before sipping.

“Just a few bites,” he cajoled, taking his own place beside her. “You need to keep up your strength for tonight.”

She gave him a heated, slumberous look, remembering her fantasy. “Why? Are you planning something special?”

“I suppose I am,” he said consideringly. “It’s special every time we make love.”
14 likes
“But never had he felt more enthralled than he was right now, sitting beside Evie on a weathered old dock, with a blazing afternoon sun, almost brutal in its clarity, bathing everything in pure light. Sweat trickled down his back and chest from the steamy heat, and his entire body pulsed with life. Even his fingertips throbbed. It took all of his formidable self-control to prevent himself from pushing her down on the dock and spreading her legs for his entry.” 7 likes