Start by marking “Whose Waves These Are (Whose Waves These Are, #1)” as Want to Read:
Whose Waves These Are (Whose Waves These Are, #1)

Whose Waves These Are

(Whose Waves These Are #1)

In the wake of WWII, a grieving fisherman submits a poem to a local newspaper asking readers to send rocks in honor of loved ones to create something life-giving but the building halts when tragedy strikes. Decades later, Annie returns to the coastal Maine town where stone ruins spark her curiosity and her search for answers faces a battle against time.
Published April 30th 2019 by Bethany House Publishers (first published April 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Whose Waves These Are, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whose Waves These Are

Melissa Tagg
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WHY CAN'T I GIVE THIS TEN STARS? Or twenty or thirty or basically ALL the stars ever. This is hands-down one of the best books I've ever read. Like, EVER. I love it so much there's no way I can review it intelligently right now, so I'll come back later and try to somehow do it justice in a longer review but for now...I am spoiled for all other books. For real. I finished it Saturday morning and haven't been able to pick up another book since! 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

UPDATE: Literally for weeks (months?) I've be
Beth
“These are the waves that have brought her home. To these people, this place…and to life.”

Well, I did it. I closed the final page of Whose Waves These Are by Amanda Dykes, and it happened. I hugged the book. Now, this may seem silly, but it’s just a thing I do, have always done. If, and only if, I connected to a book on a heart and soul level. I’ve read three of Dykes’ novellas, and they were so good, so I admit I had high hopes for her debut novel. My expectations were blown away. Lyrical and p
Rachel McMillan
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
from endorsement:

With a gorgeously inimitable voice, Dykes sets herself apart with a debut novel as timeless as its themes of redemption and everlasting love. I dare you not to be swept into a yarn of age-old tales and seaside secrets deftly penned by a lyrical pen that pliantly shifts between contemporary and historical frames. Romantic, spell-binding and wonderfully unique, Dykes’ sense of setting and emotional resonance are nearly unparalleled. A book world to be savoured and returned to agai
Clara
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, reviewed
These aren't simple five stars.
I mean them with all my heart.

I never doubted Amanda Dykes was going to tug my heart big time with this book. Her novella is one of my favorite stories ever and I still get teary when reading it (ie: I basically became a waterfall reading her first full-length novel).

There is a scene in this book in which a character has to tell a story. It's kind of straight forward but not really because there's so much then what seems obvious on the surface. I can only echo this
Sarah Monzon
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are plot-driven novels, and character/driven novels, but is there such a thing as a descriptive-driven novel? Not in setting, but in...life. Amanda Dykes doesn’t describe what people see in when the look out at the world, its like she’s giving all of her readers a pair of X-ray vision glasses to put. Ones that peel away at the artifice and shine a light on the heart. This is a story that you will ruminate over and will stick with you for a long time after it’s end.
Kara
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: unputdownable
WOW. Just wow. I can totally understand all the rave reviews now! I stayed up much too late (or was it too early? 😉) last night reading this all in one go. Because I could not put it down!! SO GOOD, people. So, so good. And now I want a reread of the entire thing... 💛💛💛
Brittany
Whose Waves These Are is an epic story that spans decades. The author pulled my heart all over the place as I turned the pages. This novel has a dual timeline. The connections and stories that are woven together throughout the years are only slowly revealed in tiny bits to the reader. I was amazed by the way the author intertwined so many different tales from both the past and the present together.

There was a lot of pain that various characters went through in the novel, yet it was balanced well
Gray Cox
~Read full review on my blog here: https://graymariewrites.blogspot.com/... ~

WOW. Wow, wow, wow, wow,,,, just WOW. 😭😍😍😍

I'm not usually a fan of historical novels, but I decided to give this one a try, and I'm so thankful I did!

With a beautiful writing voice and an even more beautiful plot, Amanda makes a promising debut with this heartwarming tale.

The characters: Lovely, real, and likable.
The plot: Will bring tears to your eyes.
The setting: Breathtaking.

The contemporary part is set in 2009 and
Sarah Sundin
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the book everyone will talk about all year—lyrical, lovely, full of heart and heartache, secrets kept and revealed. These characters, this town, and their stories will seep into your soul and leave you wanting more. A novel of hope and reconciliation you won’t forget for a long time, probably not forever.
Alysha (For The Love of Christian Fiction)
Y'ALL! I felt SOOOO many emotions reading this book.
I cried happy tears, I cried tears of grief, I cried for heartwarming moments and I cried for heart-wrenching moments.

I felt A LOT of things. It is VERY rare that an author can get me to cry, let alone SOB while reading. The fact that this author got me to do it on multiple occasions for different reasons says a lot about her writing style.

It's amazing. Plain and simple. It was a gripping story of grief, loss, healing, and learning to lean o
Rebecca
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"He said he loves you, that it'll be all right, that life is big . . . and God is bigger."

"Whose Waves These Are" clears generational speed bumps with the ease of a stallion; its poetic prose is enchanting, the spiritual depth and metaphorical descriptions compelling the most seasoned of readers to take pause.

Using the lives of twin brothers as a foundation stone, the author builds her story; and it's a story like none other, for Robert and Roy Bliss are unparalleled. Their lives diverge from
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
The first word I thought of to describe the vibe of this book is otherworldly. Not in a sci-fi way, but in a beautiful hazy way like waking up and remembering what you just dreamed. The historical and contemporary stories are woven together and draw curiosity out of the reader as layers of the plot and characters are revealed and new questions arise. There is heartbreak that is inevitable from the war-time era, but healing and growth as well. The strength of Robert, Roy, their family, and the co ...more
Jen.
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Just beautiful!! A must-read!!

Amanda Dykes has written a beautiful and deeply moving debut novel! Whose Waves These Are is a touching story, rich with faith, light and hope.

I am 100% absolutely a fan of Amanda’s work! Her storytelling and attention to detail is exquisite! Sign me up for everything she publishes!

Before you read Whose Waves These Are, don’t forget to read the free prequel novella, Up From the Sea , to fully immerse yourself in the amazing setting, history and people of Ansel-by-
Renee
In lyrical prose, Amanda Dykes invites us to visit the Maine coastal world of GrandBob, Fletch, Eva, Roy, Jenny, and so many more. It’s a “pocket of a harbor where broken lives, like waves upon the shore, are gathered up and held close.” There, we become a regular, along with Annie Bliss, who “never imagined then that it would be [her] breaking place, too. Nor how beautiful the breaking could be.”

Though Annie’s journey starts out with “a key. A closet and a boathouse full of rocks,” she ends up
Andrea Cox
FTC Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley and won a paperback copy on Goodreads. A positive review was not required. These are my honest thoughts.

If I’m going to weep this much, it better be a five-star story!

Wow. The romance in these pages… I don’t mean the boy-meets-girl kind (although that was spectacular and sweet too). I’m talking about the romance between humans and nature… the call of the Rock of Ages upon our souls… the way these characters bridged pain
Toni Shiloh
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
*sigh* Whose Waves These Are is a book like no other. From the style of writing to the content on the pages. I was enthralled from chapter one and was compelled to continue. I just had to know how the story unfolded and see if the characters would get their happily ever after. I never thought I'd say this, but they all got something better than a HEA, hope.

I will be reading Ms. Dykes in the future.
Elizabeth
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amanda Dyke’s voice is as powerful as the waves and as deep as the ocean in Whose Waves These Are.

...full review/endorsement to come! Add this to your Goodreads!
Madison
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simply stunning. Whose Waves These Are, with its beautifully descriptive and emotive writing style, characters who are brave, relatable, and so very loveable and story of family, love, loss and miraculous reunions, drew me in and refused to let go. Heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time, Whose Waves These Are is so very beautiful and a book that is simply a delight to read.

When Annie learns that her beloved grand-uncle Bob has fallen ill, she drops everything to return to Ansel-By-The-
Hannah
Okay, so this book is so amazing that it gets ten stars. However, the writing style is maddening at times, especially the verb tenses and the past/present hops even within the same paragraph. I almost DNFed it. So I have to cut the rating in half...and it’s still.....five stars! 🤣

I’ve read Amanda Dykes before, and because of how well I like her novellas I was willing to push beyond the 25% mark where frankly the writing style was driving me batty. After about 30% it smooths out a bit and I was a
Jocelyn Green
A lovingly woven tale. Climb into these pages and be buoyed by this story’s journey, alternately rocked and lulled by its waves. Full of heart and poetry, Amanda Dykes proves why she is such a beloved voice in lyrical fiction.
Beth Erin
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full review on FaithfullyBookish.com

In my opinion, this book needs to be on every reader’s must-read list! Whose Waves These Are captivated me from the first line and continues to tug at my reader heart.

Annie, Robert, and all the wonderful secondary character citizens of Ansel-by-the-Sea, Maine are charming, endearing, and inspiring! Amanda Dykes is a masterfully talented storyteller and her words paint this impactful tale with rich emotion and spiritual truths.

I urge you to pick it up this stor
Regina Jennings
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Whose Waves These Are is more than a story, it's something you live along with Annie, GrandBob and Jeremiah Fletcher. Amanda Dykes's prose is lyrical, her characters unforgettable and the setting is a place that you can only hope exists somewhere in the world. I can't wait to go back to Ansel-by-the-Sea, either in the next book or re-reading this one. Bravo!
Aria
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wwii, historical
Wow. That’s all I can say. When I started this book, I was thrown a bit off by the third-person-present and the switching between times. But after I got into the story, it was amazing. This book is a story. It’s the story of a man who faced loss, but yet, it’s so much more. It’s the warm and real story of life.

The relationships in this book were utterly amazing. The characters were so real and vivid. Yes, I was thrown off by the writing style at first, but it was done so well. The story was so v
Susan
It is hard to believe that this book is Amanda Dyke's debut novel. This novel is breathtaking! From the opening line I was hooked. The eloquent prose of this stirring tale will haunt readers long after the final page has been read.

When Annie is summoned back to Ansel-by-the Sea to help GrandBob, she finds that she will need to uncover secrets from her family's past in order to mend the chasm that is felt through three generations. This is a wonderful story of the ties that bind us: that of a p
Seema Rao
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Touching ~ Gentle ~ Enchanting

tl;dr: Love is a roaring sea and a gentle wave and many seasons in between.

This book shares the interrelated tales of a few couples in a small rural island. I am a sucker for an island story, in general, likely due to a lifetime living very much on the mainland. This story is well-written and enjoyable. The main character's job in historical museums/ non-profits was pretty well-done, particularly her hubris and subsequent personal discoveries. I enjoyed the book, a
Rachelle Sperling
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every now and again I read a book that is exceptional in every way. Whose Waves These Are is one of those books. Let me share with a you a quote from the prologue, because, honestly, the publisher’s synopsis above didn’t capture my interest half as much as these short lines did.

“Every wave in that big old blue sea is a story.”
Bob told me this a long time ago, his voice brined with wind and water.
I laughed and focused on the cresting peaks from his old dock. They disappeared faster than a ten-
Paula Shreckhise
Whose Waves These Are is the debut novel by Amanda Dykes.

This novel is a dual time story with many facets. Ms. Dykes writes with heart, just the right words on every page. It is a story of love and loss and hope, packed with emotion. Fascinating details are effortlessly meshed to tell an amazing tale. It unfolds like a beautiful flower with many layers.
“Every wave in that big old blue sea is a story”. This opening line spoken by Bob Bliss to his niece, Annie epitomizes this whole book. There ar
Fiction Aficionado
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Out of all the different elements that come together to create a wonderful reading experience, evocative writing that transports you effortlessly into the world of the story would have to be my favourite. The gentle lyricism of Amanda Dykes’ writing did just that—despite the use of third person present tense, my least favourite narrative tense. And when that gorgeous prose tells a story of love and loss, pain and healing, separation and reconciliation, all wrapped up in a poignant mystery, you h ...more
Kathy Kexel
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh, my. Oh, my.

Let me say, I don't like romance novels. They are too contrived and formulaic. This book is not a romance. It is a book about love. There is "storge," family love. There is phileo, " friendship love. And yes, there is " eros, " romantic love. But above all, there is "agape," unconditional , sacrificial, love.

This is also a book about loss-- real, heart-rending, painful loss. And the hope of healing, the power of love to heal.

It is,also a book about community, and how even a small,
Doreen
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a special book. It moved me to tears several times. It’s a story of loss and hope, grief and joy. It pays homage to those who have fought for our country and given the ultimate sacrifice. It points to the One who is with us in the storms of life and holds us throughout. It is a book that celebrates life.
Bob and Eva are both amazing characters. When hardships strike, they just keep going. They keep living. They pour their lives out for others. They lean on the Lord. I want to be like them
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
“A lifetime ago, he’d dreamed of standing here at the gate with a bouquet at this back for her. He’d hoped back then to win her heart…and now he must break it.” 0 likes
“She watches his complete abandon, haunted by the fullness of the song of this man with two letters to his name and a million to his story.” 0 likes