Start by marking “Whose Waves These Are (Whose Waves These Are, #1)” as Want to Read:
Whose Waves These Are (Whose Waves These Are, #1)

Whose Waves These Are

(Whose Waves These Are #1)

In the wake of WWII, a grieving fisherman submits a poem to a local newspaper asking readers to send rocks in honor of loved ones to create something life-giving but the building halts when tragedy strikes. Decades later, Annie returns to the coastal Maine town where stone ruins spark her curiosity and her search for answers faces a battle against time.
Published April 30th 2019 by Bethany House Publishers (first published April 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Whose Waves These Are, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whose Waves These Are

Start your review of Whose Waves These Are (Whose Waves These Are, #1)
Melissa Tagg
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WHY CAN'T I GIVE THIS TEN STARS? Or twenty or thirty or basically ALL the stars ever. This is hands-down one of the best books I've ever read. Like, EVER. I love it so much there's no way I can review it intelligently right now, so I'll come back later and try to somehow do it justice in a longer review but for now...I am spoiled for all other books. For real. I finished it Saturday morning and haven't been able to pick up another book since! 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

UPDATE: Literally for weeks (months?) I've be
Beth
“These are the waves that have brought her home. To these people, this place…and to life.”

Well, I did it. I closed the final page of Whose Waves These Are by Amanda Dykes, and it happened. I hugged the book. Now, this may seem silly, but it’s just a thing I do, have always done. If, and only if, I connected to a book on a heart and soul level. I’ve read three of Dykes’ novellas, and they were so good, so I admit I had high hopes for her debut novel. My expectations were blown away. Lyrical and p
Missy
Goodness this book tore at my heartstrings. I have not read Ms. Dykes before, but I will definitely read any book she writes from now on, as soon as it comes out. This book had me crying before I was even halfway done, which is not a good sign of what is to come and how many tissues I will be using. Just for the record, I resorted to paper towels by the end of the book.

This is the story of identical twins Roy and Bob Bliss and their bond with the ocean off the coast of Maine. With Roy going off
Rachel McMillan
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
from endorsement:

With a gorgeously inimitable voice, Dykes sets herself apart with a debut novel as timeless as its themes of redemption and everlasting love. I dare you not to be swept into a yarn of age-old tales and seaside secrets deftly penned by a lyrical pen that pliantly shifts between contemporary and historical frames. Romantic, spell-binding and wonderfully unique, Dykes’ sense of setting and emotional resonance are nearly unparalleled. A book world to be savoured and returned to agai
Clara
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, favorites
These aren't simple five stars.
I mean them with all my heart.

I never doubted Amanda Dykes was going to tug my heart big time with this book. Her novella is one of my favorite stories ever and I still get teary when reading it (ie: I basically became a waterfall reading her first full-length novel).

There is a scene in this book in which a character has to tell a story. It's kind of straight forward but not really because there's so much then what seems obvious on the surface. I can only echo this
Sarah Monzon
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are plot-driven novels, and character/driven novels, but is there such a thing as a descriptive-driven novel? Not in setting, but in...life. Amanda Dykes doesn’t describe what people see in when the look out at the world, its like she’s giving all of her readers a pair of X-ray vision glasses to put. Ones that peel away at the artifice and shine a light on the heart. This is a story that you will ruminate over and will stick with you for a long time after it’s end.
Sarah Sundin
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the book everyone will talk about all year—lyrical, lovely, full of heart and heartache, secrets kept and revealed. These characters, this town, and their stories will seep into your soul and leave you wanting more. A novel of hope and reconciliation you won’t forget for a long time, probably not forever.
Kara
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: unputdownable
This book, y'all. Oh my stars, I loved every single bit of it! I loved the characters, especially Annie. And all her uncertainty, grief, fears, and fierce desire to do right by her beloved Uncle Bob. Her journey to understanding her own story by searching out her uncle's was just lovely. I loved Ansel-by-the-Sea and all the people who populated it, especially Jeremiah Fletcher. Discovering his story bit by tiny bit alongside of Annie was delightful as well! I loved the backstory which took place ...more
Brittany
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Whose Waves These Are is an epic story that spans decades. The author pulled my heart all over the place as I turned the pages. This novel has a dual timeline. The connections and stories that are woven together throughout the years are only slowly revealed in tiny bits to the reader. I was amazed by the way the author intertwined so many different tales from both the past and the present together.

There was a lot of pain that various characters went through in the novel, yet it was balanced well
Alysha (For The Love of Christian Fiction)
Y'ALL! I felt SOOOO many emotions reading this book.
I cried happy tears, I cried tears of grief, I cried for heartwarming moments and I cried for heart-wrenching moments.

I felt A LOT of things. It is VERY rare that an author can get me to cry, let alone SOB while reading. The fact that this author got me to do it on multiple occasions for different reasons says a lot about her writing style.

It's amazing. Plain and simple. It was a gripping story of grief, loss, healing, and learning to lean o
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
The first word I thought of to describe the vibe of this book is otherworldly. Not in a sci-fi way, but in a beautiful hazy way like waking up and remembering what you just dreamed. The historical and contemporary stories are woven together and draw curiosity out of the reader as layers of the plot and characters are revealed and new questions arise. There is heartbreak that is inevitable from the war-time era, but healing and growth as well. The strength of Robert, Roy, their family, and the co ...more
Jen. (JenGalaxy4 Christian Book Reviews)
Just beautiful!! A must-read!!

Amanda Dykes has written a beautiful and deeply moving debut novel! Whose Waves These Are is a touching story, rich with faith, light and hope.

I am 100% absolutely a fan of Amanda’s work! Her storytelling and attention to detail is exquisite! Sign me up for everything she publishes!

Before you read Whose Waves These Are, don’t forget to read the free prequel novella, Up From the Sea , to fully immerse yourself in the amazing setting, history and people of Ansel-by-
Gray Cox
~Read full review on my blog here: https://graymariewrites.blogspot.com/... ~

WOW. Wow, wow, wow, wow,,,, just WOW. 😭😍😍😍

I'm not usually a fan of historical novels, but I decided to give this one a try, and I'm so thankful I did!

With a beautiful writing voice and an even more beautiful plot, Amanda makes a promising debut with this heartwarming tale.

The characters: Lovely, real, and likable.
The plot: Will bring tears to your eyes.
The setting: Breathtaking.

The contemporary part is set in 2009 a
Hannah
Okay, so this book is so amazing that it gets ten stars. However, the writing style is maddening at times, especially the verb tenses and the past/present hops even within the same paragraph. I almost DNFed it. So I have to cut the rating in half...and it’s still.....five stars! 🤣

I’ve read Amanda Dykes before, and because of how well I like her novellas I was willing to push beyond the 25% mark where frankly the writing style was driving me batty. After about 30% it smooths out a bit and I was a
Deanne Patterson
Well researched time-split novel that will pull on your heartstrings .
Pub Date 30 Apr 2019 .
I was given a complimentary copy of this book. Thank you.
All opinions expressed are my own.
Rebecca
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"He said he loves you, that it'll be all right, that life is big . . . and God is bigger."

"Whose Waves These Are" clears generational speed bumps with the ease of a stallion; its poetic prose is enchanting, the spiritual depth and metaphorical descriptions compelling the most seasoned of readers to take pause.

Using the lives of twin brothers as a foundation stone, the author builds her story; and it's a story like none other, for Robert and Roy Bliss are unparalleled. Their lives diverge from
Renee
In lyrical prose, Amanda Dykes invites us to visit the Maine coastal world of GrandBob, Fletch, Eva, Roy, Jenny, and so many more. It’s a “pocket of a harbor where broken lives, like waves upon the shore, are gathered up and held close.” There, we become a regular, along with Annie Bliss, who “never imagined then that it would be [her] breaking place, too. Nor how beautiful the breaking could be.”

Though Annie’s journey starts out with “a key. A closet and a boathouse full of rocks,” she ends up
Andrea Cox
FTC Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley and won a paperback copy on Goodreads. A positive review was not required. These are my honest thoughts.

If I’m going to weep this much, it better be a five-star story!

Wow. The romance in these pages… I don’t mean the boy-meets-girl kind (although that was spectacular and sweet too). I’m talking about the romance between humans and nature… the call of the Rock of Ages upon our souls… the way these characters bridged pain
Toni Shiloh
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
*sigh* Whose Waves These Are is a book like no other. From the style of writing to the content on the pages. I was enthralled from chapter one and was compelled to continue. I just had to know how the story unfolded and see if the characters would get their happily ever after. I never thought I'd say this, but they all got something better than a HEA, hope.

I will be reading Ms. Dykes in the future.
Jocelyn Green
A lovingly woven tale. Climb into these pages and be buoyed by this story’s journey, alternately rocked and lulled by its waves. Full of heart and poetry, Amanda Dykes proves why she is such a beloved voice in lyrical fiction.
Elizabeth
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amanda Dyke’s voice is as powerful as the waves and as deep as the ocean in Whose Waves These Are.

...full review/endorsement to come! Add this to your Goodreads!
Kav
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Sometimes the best way to love is to choose to let go." (p 108)

Whose Waves These Are defies description. A heart-stomping, sob-wracking, goose-bumping kind of a read. It's left me so tongue-tied and addlepated that I'm grappling for words here. And this is a debut novel! It really does boggle the mind.

First, it's the sheer beauty of the prose. This is the kind of book that begs to be read out loud so that the wordsmithing can be savored. "He's maybe thirty-five, but the look on his face is olde
Madison
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simply stunning. Whose Waves These Are, with its beautifully descriptive and emotive writing style, characters who are brave, relatable, and so very loveable and story of family, love, loss and miraculous reunions, drew me in and refused to let go. Heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time, Whose Waves These Are is so very beautiful and a book that is simply a delight to read.

When Annie learns that her beloved grand-uncle Bob has fallen ill, she drops everything to return to Ansel-By-The-
Natalie Walters
Sep 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this one in paperback but I got distracted and set it down. A couple of months later I decided to listen to the audio version and I'm so glad I finished this story. First, the audio is FANTASTIC! The narrator did a phenomenal job with the accents and just gave this already great story the perfect amount of flavor to really hit it out of the park. This story has great impact and I grew emotional three times but only because I was so touched by the characters and plot. Such a bea ...more
Kellyn Roth
I wanted to like this book. I really did. But ... I got so bored in the modern parts. I honestly remember nothing about them, and I skim-read to the end.

I didn't like it much at first, and the writing style was too melodic for me. I also felt that the POV wasn't well-managed, and I'm not a fan of present tense. I feel like only The Hunger Games really did it well.

Plus, present tense in the "flashback" scenes was just ... frustrating. Like, y'all, the past is in the past, right? *my brain does no
Catherine
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Okay, wow. I don't know that I have words eloquent enough to follow such a masterpiece of a novel. And my vision is still blurred, my eyes stinging. But I must say . . . something . . . even if it is only to implore you to open the pages of this beautiful book and see for yourself - there is magic here. Truly. I loved every moment of this reading experience. This book raises the bar for Christian Publishing, and I applaud that. Whose Waves These Are is one not to be missed.
Highly recommended. D
Melanie
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it

I think I started this book with TOO high of expectations. I heard from several people that this was an amazing read, so I expected to love it right from the beginning on. Unfortunately, I was bored during the first half or so of the story. I was afraid I wouldn't like it at all, but then things started to click at about the 50% mark and I began to really enjoy the story.

I found the rocks and the meaning behind them SO interesting (I was a little sad that it took so long to find out wh
Aria
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wwii, historical
Wow. That’s all I can say. When I started this book, I was thrown a bit off by the third-person-present and the switching between times. But after I got into the story, it was amazing. This book is a story. It’s the story of a man who faced loss, but yet, it’s so much more. It’s the warm and real story of life.

The relationships in this book were utterly amazing. The characters were so real and vivid. Yes, I was thrown off by the writing style at first, but it was done so well. The story was so v
Beth Erin
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full review on FaithfullyBookish.com

In my opinion, this book needs to be on every reader’s must-read list! Whose Waves These Are captivated me from the first line and continues to tug at my reader heart.

Annie, Robert, and all the wonderful secondary character citizens of Ansel-by-the-Sea, Maine are charming, endearing, and inspiring! Amanda Dykes is a masterfully talented storyteller and her words paint this impactful tale with rich emotion and spiritual truths.

I urge you to pick it up this stor
Nicole
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ndicjdbghjdjdhdnd
Derp. What. Are. Words?!
Seriously.
The poetic quality of this book makes my attempt at writing a review look awfully crude.
This book is a beautiful work of fiction! I dragged my feet on reading this book because it didn't sound like my type of book.
But it is sooooooooo goooooooood!
A powerful story of how God weaves the good and bad, the pain and the joy into the masterpiece of His plan.
It is moving, deep and one of those books that stays with you for a long time to come!

• Living Lies (Harbored Secrets #1)
  • Finding Lady Enderly
  • A Mosaic of Wings
  • The Joy of Falling
  • Before I Called You Mine
  • The Number of Love (The Codebreakers, #1)
  • Just Like Home (Harbor Pointe, #4)
  • The Spice King (Hope and Glory, #1)
  • A Gilded Lady (Hope and Glory, #2)
  • Foremost (The Lost Princesses, #2)
  • You Belong with Me (Restoring Heritage, #1)
  • Deadly Deceit (Harbored Secrets, #2)
  • Almost Home
  • This Wandering Heart (Madison River Romance #1)
  • Fatal Strike
  • The Refuge
  • The Heart of a King (The Loves of King Solomon #1-4)
  • Wooing Cadie McCaffrey

News & Interviews

“I have learned to kiss the wave that throws me against the Rock of Ages.” 1 likes
“I didn’t feel like a whole person. Just a handful of pieces, not sure how they all fit together.” 1 likes