Start by marking “You Only Need One” as Want to Read:
You Only Need One

You Only Need One

She’s agreed to give him her kidney, but he wants her heart.

Ben Gerhard lives his days reliant on a machine to keep him alive. His kidney failure has progressed rapidly, and none of his family or friends are matches to donate. Then relief comes in the form of Holly Foster. She’s bossy, adorable, and willing to undergo surgery to save Ben. Problem is, the more time he spend
Published November 14th 2018

To ask other readers questions about You Only Need One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Only Need One

Carlene Inspired
Find this review and others at Carlene Inspired.

For me, You Only Need One was like a contemporary version of a Lurlene McDaniel novel. Lauren Connolly tells the story of Holly, a sister fighting to find her brother a new kidney, and Ben, a young man dependent on dialysis as he waits for a donor match as well. A donor exchange program finds Holly as Ben's savior and, with any luck, Ben's cousin will be the perfect match for Holly's brother. The program allows them to spend time together and while
Maria
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, various, young
"Received an Advance Reader Copy in exchange for a fair review"
3.5 stars.
A very tender and sweet story, with a gorgeous, bespectacled nerdy hero and a generous, determined heroine.
I loved the slow build of the relationship and romance, all those initial “intense feelings” between Ben and Holly, the holding hands and sensuality, the sleeping together without having sex. All this happening in a very serious life-threatening context, with a realistic depiction of Ben’s (and Marcus) condition and it
Kristy K
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
I hate when characters go off and list all these physical characteristics about themselves or another person and holly here went a step above and multiple times made a 1,2,3 list about what Ben looked like. I hated it. Supposedly this was a quirk of Holly's, but it wasn't really explained, she'd just randomly list things and then move on. Because of this and other traits, I found Holly to be extremely annoying.

It took almost 60% of the book before they acted on their feelings. The first 50+% is
Hannah Bradley
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and read it pretty quickly! I liked Connolly's descriptive writing style and felt like I was right alongside Holly and Ben. I understand the build up of the relationship, but about 40% through I was really ready to just get to it already. I wish that would have happened a little sooner than halfway through the book, but it was worth it when she got to it. It was a little heavy on all the sexual references, but overall I enjoyed this one!
Susan's Reviews
The characters were likeable and the heroine in particular was feisty. This story has a bit of everything: medical drama, romance, and even tattoos! Thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for an ARC of this book in exchange for a honest review.
Rebel Carter
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book checked all my boxes! A slow burn romance? A hero that made me swoon and laugh at the same time? A heroine that was getting shit done? Beautiful and thoughtful writing?
YEAHHHH, baby, all of it, plus, an epilogue that was so good and perfect. If you want a book filled with a beautifully developed relationship and a HEA to die for then pick up this book now!
Sheena
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I've received a ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

The novel was a little longer than what I thought it should've been but overall that didn't take away from this enjoyable story.

The overall content, storyline and characters were phenomenal. I have nothing but great things to say about this novel. The novel is based off of sensitive topic matters that puts readers sitting at the edge of their seat. You can't help but want a happily ever after for Lily and Ben, and lets be hones
Carolyn's
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinated by the story of kidney donor and recipient falling for one another. I felt this was a slow moving story but necessary with the topic. Ben and Holly were super sweet together. I especially loved their cast of friends and family.

A favorite part- after surgery- "I have a piece of you in me now. You had it before surgery."

Thanks NetGalley for this ARC.
Kristin
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for the advance copy of this book, in exchange for an honest review."

Loved this book very much. It had just enough sweet, sexy romance and the storyline was great! I highly recommend!
Cat C
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing, smart, unique romance

First of all, if this is her first published book, what delights do we have in store for us?!?!?

This book is SO. GOOD. I was intrigued from the get go when the author posted in a Facebook group about her kidney donation romance and I'm always up for fresh setups.

But the writing is beautiful, the characters are so real and likeable, the banter is witty...I could go on and on. Holly is so smart and driven and Ben is such a nice guy and it's so fascinating to see this
Smut Report
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Review previously published by The Smut Report.

Heat Factor: A roaring fire at a log cabin

Character Chemistry: So much mutual lusting!

Plot: A quiet story about two people falling in love under abnormal circumstances

Overall: Starts slowly, ends with a bang

Let’s start with the tagline for this book, Lauren Connolly’s debut:

She’s agreed to give him her kidney, but he wants her heart.

I am not a medical ethicist. However, the premise of this book was ethically suspect. Here’s the deal: Holly’s brothe
Person AMV
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I got an advanced copy. This is a super sweet love story. Both main characters were fun and relateable. The author has a clean writing style that is engaging and easy to read. She is also good at writing sex scenes. I would recommend this book if you are looking for something fun, endearing and different from a lot of romance out there. Looking forward to the next book!
Ankita
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is about Holly and Ben. The story starts out good and the characters are likeable. It's an okay read except it just seemed a little dragged out that made it a little less engaging. Besides that it's a good book. Maybe i expected a lot from this but something just felt flat to me.
( Arc provided by the publisher via netgalley in exchange of an honest review)
Alyssa Copeland
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this heart-warming story and found myself thinking about Ben and Holly for days after I finished reading the book. Recommend.
Audrey
Debra
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read for a honest review for Lauren Connolly Romance.Good storyline ,I liked Ben's character the best,I didn't connect with Holly's character then the story started to drag on making it hard to continue.
Safoora
Sep 29, 2018
Jin
Dec 27, 2018
Lauren Connolly
Sep 09, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Ines