Start by marking “A Game of Chance (Mackenzie Family, #4)” as Want to Read:
A Game of Chance (Mackenzie Family, #4)

A Game of Chance

(Mackenzie Family #4)

Romantic suspense, originally published by Silhouette Intimate Moments. The last book in the Mackenzie Family series focuses on Chance Mackenzie, a feral, homeless adolescent until rescued and adopted by Wolf and Mary Mackenzie. The stunning and aloof half-breed has built a career in undercover ops, first as a Naval Intelligence Officer, then as a private consultant. ...more
Published September 1st 2001 by Silhouette (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about A Game of Chance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Game of Chance

Start your review of A Game of Chance (Mackenzie Family, #4)
~Anna's ƦªϻƁℓℹռg$~

She's a notorious terrorist's daughter but she's one of the good girls. She's also smart and fun and has a light personality. Her name is Sunny. (See? I told you so.)

Annnnnnnnd... She's a (view spoiler)

Until he comes.

His name is Chance. A chance you don't pass up.

One look and she spreads her legs for him. It doesn't matter that he deceives her, lies to her, uses her as bait, risks her life, (view spoiler)
Chantal ❤️
This Book was passable but what defied all logic to me was how she could just forgive him like that after all that he done to her?

Screwing her for information and for her cooperation in being the bait to bring her father down.
It was seriously just One I love you no forgive me I am a lying asshole!
I give up!
I did not like that at all.

He was too much of a jerk after he knew all that she had been through and if she had not been pregnant he would have just walked away.
I don't like books where
peachygirl
Chance is from the asshole lot of LH heroes that I love to hate. Setting out to seduce the heroine with an ulterior motive, usually for a greater cause so as to make the girl forgive him eventually, using her as a bait, throwing her to the wolves and saving her in the nick of time and then kiss and make up, the kind.

What bothered me was there wasn't even a heartfelt apology from Chance's end, but Sunny forgives and moves in with him anyway because she's all knocked up and ready to play stepford
Karla
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved, loved this book! It was bittersweet, since it was the final one in the series. I just enjoyed everything about Chance's story! Sunny was as an awesome heroine, together they were HOT!! It starts out at Mackenzie's mountain, and as she did in the entire series, LH brings us back to the mountain and Wolf and Mary for the final few pages.

I'd always hoped that Linda Howard would continue this series with the Wolf and Mary's grandchildren, but she said that would mean that Wolf and Mary
Preeti ♥︎ (Romance She Reads)
Crash landing into the desert and playing survival games with a sex-on-legs pilot? Ticks lot many boxes on my cravings list!

Another riveting Linda Howard. Even with a scheming, lying rat for a H, I totally digged this one. The h was as sweet and trusting as they come. Although it was a bit hard to swallow how she got the case of stupids, her supposedly being a hard assed on-the-run survivalist herself.
So our black ops (kinda) guy, believing her hands in gloves with her terrorist dad or at the
♡Karlyn P♡
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
3.5 - A good ending to the MacKenzie Mountain family saga by Linda Howard.

This is Chance's story, the adopted young man who lived on the streets, nearly wild, until Wolf and Mary adopted him at the age of 14. Now a grown man and a former Army Ranger, Chance is working undercover on a mission to bring down a known terrorist. After discovering that his enemy has a beautiful daughter, he sets a plan of seduction into motion to find out just what she knows.

Sunny wants to avoid captures from her
Esther
Reread!!

4.5 Rating.

Okay, my first somewhat downgrade rating for a reread. This wasn't a 5 star more of a 4.5.

A little disappointed in Chance, I think his character could have been better and was a little of a disappointment.

I liked Sunny and she was sweet.

The storyline was good and so was the pacing.

Lauren
A Game of Chance
4 Stars

Chance Mackenzie, the half-wild child adopted by Wolf and Mary Mackenzie, has become a dedicated undercover agent. When information concerning the daughter of a notorious terrorist comes to his attention, Chance embarks on a mission to seduce her and discover the extent of her involvement in her father’s business. However, there is more to Sonia “Sunny” Miller than meets the eye and Chance soon realizes that he is willing to risk a lot more than his life to learn her
❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️
 photo 8cdb74d1d46d3c0f6862ec7e621338ee_zpsrjdgpveg.jpg

4.5 Flying Stars!!

Another great MacKenzie romance, this one features adopted MacKenzie son Chance and Sunny, the daughter of a terrorist who is wanted by pretty much every global agency for his dirty deeds.

Chance sets up a "accidental" meeting with Sunny in an attempt to catch her father....only problem is Sunny is in hiding and has never even met her infamous father.

photo PicsArt_1504746763320_zpsiv2ju8do.jpg

Chance slowly begins to believe that they (the agency) made a mistake by targeting her, but, he still makes the conscience
Joa
She ...
She gives him her virginity.
She gives him her trust.
She gives him her love.
She gives him a son.

She is willing to sacrifice herself for him.
She sacrifices herself for him.

And he ...
He gives her a web of lies.
He gives her a one time close encounter with death.

He uses her to his own ends.
He endangers her without any second thoughts or remorse.

So ...

She ends up in the hospital with part of her liver removed and a resection of her small intestine.
After her 'stay' at this '5 star hotel', he
Jenny
Jun 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Adorable couple and sweet epilogue but I wish they weren't stranded for the biggest part of the book!
Aou
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“You fool!” she shouted. “For God’s sake, my father was a terrorist! That’s the heritage I’m carrying around, and you’re worried because you don’t know who your parents were?”
He was incredibly douchebag and idiot. That idiot part made me cut a half star. ;)
Sammy
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
I was completely disappointed by this last book in the series.

Chance is the kind of man that I would never want to end up with. He is completely selfish and his need for Sunny was unjustified as written by the author because 1) he is uncomfortable with intimacy/love and avoids it from his very loving family. Thus, it went against his character as described to actively pursue Sunny and in the author's attempt to "grow" his character he only halfheartedly does so 2) the length of time he actively
Dee
Lisa
I really enjoyed this book. As I’ve been working my way through the MacKenzie series it’s been fun to watch Linda Howard’s skills evolve with each book. And she’d clearly hit her stride by the time she wrote A Game of Chance. Both the hero and heroine are likeable, well-rounded characters with strong backstories and motivations. The chemistry between them is sizzling and the plot is compelling. The overall pacing is good, with enough time spent developing the romance to make it believable but ...more
Jacqueline J
Jun 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Reread. This and Mackenzie's Mountain are my favorite of the Mackenzie books. I just love the resilient cheerful heroine. The hero was a jerk for using her but I guess hey it's fiction and he needed to catch the bad guy. But I did enjoy him and how he was so in love with her and desperate to have her forgive him at the end. Enjoyed seeing all the Mackenzies again.
~Nichole~  Sizzling Pages Romance Reviews
I'm definitely in a slump.
I don't like lies in my romance or at least I want the truth to come out sooner than this did. I liked Chance. I liked Sunny. I just wanted more of them when there wasn't lies.

Loved seeing the previous characters.
Mara
Mar 21, 2018 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
First: I bought this by mistake. I was looking for book 2. I already knew it wasn't the best choice for me.

Maybe eons ago I might have been able to avoid being angered at this setting, but nowadays after discovering there are no good guys in this world and worse that bad guys are actually better as they do not lie about their badness, secret services settings are unacceptable to me. After torture, bombings, lies, the founding of terror regime as 'allies' I can't stomach these kinds of people.
Amanda S.
5 STARS AND BEYOND INDEED!

Finally, a real moment of misunderstanding that made me cry for like 15 minutes and stopped me from reading! I'm so happeeeeh!!

Even though I kind of mad at Linda Howard for separating Chance from other Mackenzies, while the Mackanzies themself are fighting so hard to make Chance feel like one of them, by making a title with the word Mackanzie in it like the rest of the books, I still love her so much. Her writing are ridiculously good and I feel like I'm the heroine
Aarann
I'm on a Linda Howard kick lately and I picked this one up for a re-read.

First of all, I'd never realized before how much Howard likes survival settings for her romances. I can now think of three of her books that feature a man and woman in a survival setting -- this, "Up Close and Dangerous," and the ridiculous, "Prey". I want to say "Burn" and "Ice" are both along those lines too but I never got very far in the former (it was slow in starting) and it's been so long since I read the latter that
Norma
I love the MacKenzie family. I think the first chapter was just for those of us who love them so much. I love visiting them.

Chance's book was good, but not great. Better than Joe's book(I really didn't like Joe). I do wonder what it is with these Mackenzies that they never use birth control. Didn't Wolf teach his children about this? I loved reading about Chance and Zane's relationship.

Chances actions toward Sunny were unforgivable and she forgave too easily. I can see forgiving him eventually,
Sobia
Jul 11, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

While I think this is one of those books every romance reader should at least attempt, I have to admit I had a hard time liking this one... Well Wait, I liked it initially (In particular, I liked the heroine), and I liked the build up of the story....

but the end bothered me to no end. The hero is basically a jerk,and does jerk things, and the heroine of course forgives him with barely a an apology, soley because he said he loved her.. And of course that makes everything all right.

The worst
Renu
Linda Howard writes sexy heroes, this one is no less than others. Loved the chemistry between H/h. I was a little frustrated with H's deception but he redeems himself by the ending and i loved it!
kookyquinn
Well that was an awful and anticlimactic end to an otherwise great series. Sometimes you can just tell an author didn't WANT to write a book and shouldn't have.
Kathleen
As another reader said, the final kiss-and-make-up scene wrapped up too abruptly. So, why do I like this book so much? I dunno... I love it as much for the scenes portraying the feral, homeless adolescent named Sooner as for the romantic suspense plot portraying the adult Sooner, re-named Chance, a covert agent. I love the deep trust between Chance and his adoptive bro, Zane. I adore all the scenes with the two badass warriors, Chance and Zane, especially when they are responsible for the little ...more
Wendy
Jude
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I am very glad I gave the book a read after some negative comments.

I understood that Chance survived the streets until the Mackenzies adopted him at fourteen. He was half wild and old enough to wonder how they could love someone unwanted from the gutter like him but he grew up loving his adopted family. He doesn't see how he will ever open up and trust anyone other than the family who accepted him unconditionally.
The only way to stop a world terrorist who has killed hundreds is through the
Aquit

SPOILERS AHEAD

I read only the first three chapters and I already knew what was going to happen at the beginning, middle, and the end of the book.

1) Chase uses Sunny to track down her terrorist father

2) Chase uses some scheme to make Sunny stick with him 24/7

3) Chase uses Sunny for sex and pretends to have a love-affair with her

4) Track down bad guys while fighting attraction and using hot sex as diversion

5) Sunny discovers that Chase is using her

6) Sunny is pregnant and Chase goes he-man on her
fleurette
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
The fourth book in series about Mackenzie that I read and probably the last one. I definitely liked it more than the first two books in this series but I preferred Zane's story over it.

The thing is that Chance, as much as I liked him in the previous book, is cheating. For the whole book Sunny thinks he is someone else and she falls in love with a different man. I expected something more from Chance story, since he is such an interesting and complicated character.

As all the others books in this
Sofi
May 14, 2016 rated it liked it
I think I liked Chance more before I read his book. I really liked the central plot, Chance trying to catch a terrorist decides to get close to the terrorists' daughter and make her fall in love with him enough to spill her beans about her dad. Seemed interesting enough, and the book was pretty good until Sunny found out who he really was. - She was obviously mad and feeling betrayed, but she forgave him way too easily in my opinion, and that was definitely a hit on the book.

As usual, it was
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Jackson Rule
  • Hard Evidence (I-Team, #2)
  • Unlawful Contact (I-Team, #3)
  • Naked Edge (I-Team, #4)
  • Under the Wire (The Bodyguards, #5)
  • Killing Time (One Eyed Jacks, #1)
  • Breaking Point (I-Team, #5)
  • Gift of Gold (Gift, #1)
  • Feel the Heat (Black Ops Inc., #4)
  • Hide and Seek (T-FLAC, #3)
  • Texas Blue (Whispering Mountain, #5)
  • Bittersweet Rain
  • To the Edge (The Bodyguards, #1)
  • The Seduction of His Wife (Logger #1)
  • Raven's Prey
  • Last Chance (Last Chance Rescue, #6)
  • Midnight Angel (Midnight, #3)
  • 22 Indigo Place

Linda S. Howington is an American best-selling romance author writing under the pseudonym Linda Howard. After 21 years of penning stories for her own enjoyment, she submitted a novel for publication which was very successful. Her first work was published by Silhouette in 1982. She is a charter member of Romance

Mackenzie Family (4 books)
  • Mackenzie's Mountain (Mackenzie Family, #1)
  • Mackenzie's Mission (Mackenzie Family, #2)
  • Mackenzie's Pleasure (Mackenzie Family, #3)