Start by marking “After the Night” as Want to Read:
After the Night

After the Night

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  21,415 ratings  ·  1,107 reviews
"Of all of my novels, After the Night remains one of my personal favorites – and Faith Devlin and Gray Rouillard are two of my favorite characters. Faith is strong, proud, and fearless, and Gray – well, he’s just downright sexy. Faith’s search for the truth about the devastating scandal surrounding her mother and Gray’s father blazes with intrigue. Add some sultry Southern ...more
Published November 1st 1997 by Pocket Books (first published December 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about After the Night, please sign up.
Eva Shades of Twilight! I know exactly what you want - that perfect blend of romance, suspense, and most important of all, angst - and you'll find it in…moreShades of Twilight! I know exactly what you want - that perfect blend of romance, suspense, and most important of all, angst - and you'll find it in her Shades of Twilight book! I promise!(less)

·  21,415 ratings  ·  1,107 reviews

Start your review of After the Night
Blacky *Romance Addict*

This book has the best asshole/jerk hero EVER!
OMG I loved every damn scene when he was horrible to her <3

I wanted him to be worse!!! I couldn't wait for it!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

He is just that good! Or maybe I am that wrong bwahahhahahahhahahahh

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

But seriously, he is one of the best jerks I've read <3 I want to read more of those n
♥Sharon♥
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and if you are a Linda Howard fan and have yet to read it you better make sure you do.

This one was different than Cry No More (the only other LH book I’ve read) which was great because I am very curious about the different storylines she writes. In After the Night we get two very different main characters whose past and future are intertwined with hatred, lust, sadness and long awaited happiness.

Faith Devlin’s didn’t have much in her life. She knew she had nothing of valu
Natasha
I couldn't read this anymore.
SPOILERS AND ANGER AND SWEARS AHEAD!!
This is me right now:

First, this perv at 24 is checking out a 14 year old in her nightie.. What a fucking perv! "Oh wahhhh my rich daddie left with his mistress and now my family is probably only half as rich and I have lots of paperwork.. waaaahhh". I get it. He's pissed and it's a shitty situation.
He KNOWS that this family of "trash" has a down syndrome 6 year old boy and he'll just judge everyone becauseanymore.
SPOILERS
Debra

How I feel about this book:

The storyline

❥The characters

❥The dialogue

❥The fights

❥The reunions

I loved it ALL.

This is an absolute MUST READ. Linda Howard, why did I wait so long to read your books !!??

I have no idea but I do know that from now on I'll be devouring LH's books like crazy, that's a given! ;)

PS: I love Gray Rouillard <3

Mo
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-read in April 2014.

FAITH DEVLIN: A poor, outcast child in Prescott, Louisiana, she'd always adored the town's golden boy from afar. But he called her white trash that sultry Southern night when his rich, respected father disappeared, along with her pretty Mom.

It was a good day for dreaming. It was late in the afternoon, the sun throwing long shadows when it could manage to break through the thick woods, but for the most part the translucent golden light was tangled in the tops of the trees, leavi
2014.
Tammy
Wow. I couldn't put this book down last night and ended up pulling an all-nighter to finish it. It was THAT good.

It goes without saying that Linda Howard is an incredible writer, my personal favorite in the romantic suspense genre. I would read anything written by her. That includes her grocery list. I'm sure it would be interesting.

After the Night takes place over a span of several years, thus giving the reader the opportunity to watch Faith and Gray grow up, develop their characte
♥Rachel♥
After the Night was my first Linda Howard book, and I absolutely LOVED it! It’s a riveting read, with a stormy and sizzling romance!

Faith Devlin has come back to Prescott, Louisiana after twelve years away. She was cruelly thrown out of her home at the young age of fourteen. Though it was no fault of hers, Faith suffered the disgrace her mother, Renee, had brought down on them. Being regarded as white trash and suffering the stain her mother’s reputation made Faith determined to never be like any of her fam
Didi
~~~~ 5++++++ FANTASTIC STARS ~~~~

I've never read Linda Howard till now....and I'm rectifying that poor judgement on my part. Aside from the fact that I had never heard of her until recently, well, I've rectified that too. This book was GOLD.
I loved this and every second spent reading it. This book has been around for a while and so many people have read it, so I'll skip any type of synopsis. The plot was great, the suspense built up beautifully. I did suspect the culprit early
Ingie
Written December 12, 2014

4.7 Stars - Stunning great - a heartwrencher

At last I started Linda Howard's good "oldie". I'd both the 12 hrs audiobook (narrated by Natalie Ross) in my ears and sometimes also the ebook in my other hand.

description description description description description

OMG, this will be IS so very good!
I was in a kind of dreamy 'book-love' in this romance already after a feew chapter... or minutes really.

Completely enchanted and my tears was flowing.
A keeper, an unforgettable epic romance story to remember.
Simply GRAND!!

***********************************************************

Prescott, Louisiana

After the Night is the heartbreaking and stunning love-Louisiana
After***********************************************************
Prescott,2014
4.7
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Jan 20, 2011 rated it did not like it
I love Linda Howard! So when I kept hearing about After the Night I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Well, I did. It was horrible!!! The hero is abusive and the heroine is a doormat who makes excuses for his ill treatment of her. It's not fair to blame someone, treat them poorly, and encourage the whole town to treat them poorly because of the sins of the parent. This is one very unhealthy "romance."

An After the Night reviewer stated that if this was your best friend you would encourage her
*TANYA*
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: highly-recommend
Yes!!! Exactly, what I needed to get me out of my book funk!! Sigh, the story was so “dramatic” it reminded me of the good ol’ days of daytime soaps. I loved it!! Favorite book character as well, Faith and Gray. Lol. Linda Howard is officially an all time favorite author!!
peachygirl
Gray is a pompous jerk and Faith is a love/lust struck bimbo. Just trying to understand how I ended up falling in love with this book..!!
Linda Howard is a fucking marvel.
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
I first read this book in 1995...when I was 12. And I still re-read it at least once a year. Once of my all time favorites.
Nenia ☠️ Hecka Wicked ☠️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

💙 I read this for the Unapologetic Romance Readers' New Years 2018 Reading Challenge, for the category of: Enemies to Lovers. For more info on this challenge, click here. 💙

I haven't posted a #StealthRead review in forever, and I'm absolutely thrilled that the honor goes to AFTER THE NIGHT - a book I've been wanting to read for years and lived up to all of my trashy expectations. One of my friends' one-star reviews for this book was actually the impetus for getting me to buy this. She said the hero was an obsessive
Shawna
Sep 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of LH, steamy contemporary romance/romantic suspense, & hot French Cajun alpha heroes
Recommended to Shawna by: MelissaB
4 stars – Contemporary Romance/Romantic Suspense

Gray is a really hot alpha hero, but his treatment of the heroine throughout most of the book pissed me off. Although, his whole macho, lion hear me roar thing was admittedly pretty sexy and hard to resist at times. And OMG, the notorious porch scene is scorch your fingertips, drink some ice water, YOWZA, smokin' hot and makes this a definite keeper!! It's another great LH read, but I wish Gray had done a little bit more groveling to F
Amy | Foxy Blogs
The name Devlin is synonymous with being a drunk and/or a whore!

Faith Devlin grew up as white trash. Her mom was the town whore and her dad was the town drunk. Her siblings were no better, except for her mentally handicapped brother, Scotty. She made sure to not be like her family. As a young girl her mother was the mistress to Guy Rouillard (a powerful and rich man).

Gary Rouillard is Guy’s son and like his dad he is a lady’s man. He's also a town powerhouse and when he talks people listen. He is a total bad boy who is
❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️
Audio book review January 2015

photo 11575720_zpsb424590b.jpg

5 Fantastic Stars!!!!

Let me start by saying, this is absolutely one of my all time FAVORITE Linda Howard books. I don’t know how many times I have read it both in print and audio format. The audio
Sophie ♥
Rate: 10 stars :O

All the hype about this book is WELL deserved. I love love loved it!!!

I loved the way Linda Howard crafted the plot. It was utterly supurb. Only a truly talented writer can give a book just the right amount of everything.

There was the poignant childhood crush...
"The best smell in the world, Faith thought as she meandered through the woods, staring up at the captured sunlight and holding her secret happiness cradled deep in her chest, was Gray Rouillard."

There was forbidden love...
"There wer/>"There/>There/>"The
Kathleen
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
I love Linda Howard, BUT! Ugh. The hero of this book is appalling. Gray is a complete and utter bastid, even to a sick young boy ((view spoiler)). He was SUCH a jerk, back when Faith was an adolescent. His sexual interest in her that night — that terrible night — grossed me out, given her youth.

And in
Geri Reads
This is definitely one of Linda Howard's best. The story is sultry, peppered with intrigue and it makes for a thoroughly engaging read. I would highly recommend this book.
KatLynne
Aug 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to KatLynne by: A big Thank You to all my friends who led me to this one!
A super sexy, totally engaging story! I really have been missing out on some great Linda Howard reads!

There are so many fantastic reviews that I'll just add a few thoughts....

It took awhile for me to like the hero, Gray Rouillard. He’s a sexy, hot, alpha from the elite side of town. His treatment of Faith took a huge dose of redemption, but it does happen and by the end I was a happy reader.

The past hasn’t been good to Faith and I loved how she took charge and came out shining. She’s a stron
Antonio Scotto di Carlo
May 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
I just finished this book. This is my opinion as a reader.

I found this book grotesque.

The main characters are completely unreal. The alpha male must be tough, jealous, insensitive and in love, so he is, who cares about the context. She must love him, whatever he does. She must be a good girl, proud, strong, independent, but her qualities suddenly disappear when she sees him.
You may say “Women may be not logical”. I say “The writer desperately counts on this concept.
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***3.5 stars***

My first Linda Howard book and I'm in the middle of the road...I liked it but didn't love it. With the exception of the first 20%, which was AMAZING, this book for me was a combination of

and

Alright, let's start at the beginning shall we.

The first 20% of this book describing and setting up the history between the Devlins and Rouillards was fantastic! I could feel EVERY emotion, injustice and unfairness that Faith had to endure. Her infatuation, worship and love for Gray poured off the pag
Glass
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Glass by: Blacky *Romance Addict*
This is perfect book for anyone who likes idea behind Kristen Ashley novels but hates all melodrama, unnecessary descriptions and over the top alpha males.

Now, excuse me, I have to go and find more Linda Howard books.

My rating: 4.5 stars
sraxe
"You were only fourteen, but I wanted you."

Gray says this to twenty-six year old Faith while he's having sex with her.

Gray is fucking disgusting pedo perv. He's a twenty-two year old man getting turned on by a fourteen year old girl.

Unwillingly, Gray felt his shaft stir and thicken, and he was disgusted with himself. He looked around at the deputies and saw his response mirrored in their eyes, an animal heat that they should be ashamed of having for a girl that young.

God, he was no bette
Piper
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is, quite simply, a story of a young woman, Faith Devlin, who realizes her dreams against all odds. She refuses to be beaten down regardless of the cruelty she is forced to endure by family and townsfolk.

Gray Rouillard, one of her biggest adversaries, cannot see his way clear of his harsh and judgmental ideas of her and does his best to make her life in small town Prescott, Louisiana impossible. He has his reasons, or so he thinks.

................................................................................

Throw in some angst, misunderstanding, jealousy, unfounded scan
Lisa Kay
★★★★★ Man-oh-man! Started to flip through this today...and re-read the whole thing! Just love this book. Gray & Faith still sizzle for me, after all these years, and the mystery is one of Howard's best. So...bought the Kindle and the audio for my permanent library. (My paperback is getting pretty tattered.) I'll keep you post on how I like the audio.
Anna
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Anna by: Soraya Naomi
Lost my Linda Howard cherry !!!

What a great book ! I devoured it ❤❤
Jo
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There was only one man whom she could love completely, heart and soul and body, nothing held back, and that was Gray Rouillard. And he was the one man to whom she didn’t dare give herself, because he would destroy her.

Reread because I ADORE Linda Howard and this book was where my love of OTT alphas started.

Faith Devlin knows that everyone considers her family white trash. Her mother is the town whore, her dad and older brothers are drunks, and her older sister is trying to follow in her mother’s

• Paradise (Second Opportunities, #1)
  • Kiss an Angel
  • What Price Paradise
  • Slow Heat in Heaven
  • Silver Lining
  • Blue-Eyed Devil (Travises, #2)
  • Ain't She Sweet?
  • The Sweet Gum Tree
  • The Unwanted Wife (Unwanted, #1)
  • Sugar Daddy (Travises, #1)
  • Perfect (Second Opportunities, #2)
  • It Had to Be You (Chicago Stars, #1)
  • Smooth Talking Stranger (Travises, #3)
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
  • Dream a Little Dream (Chicago Stars, #4)
  • Something Wonderful (Sequels, #2)
  • Annie's Song
  • A Kingdom of Dreams (Westmoreland, #1)

Linda S. Howington is an American best-selling romance author writing under the pseudonym Linda Howard. After 21 years of penning stories for her own enjoyment, she submitted a novel for publication which was very successful. Her first work was published by Silhouette in 1982. She is a charter member of Roma
“Do you want to know why men name their penis? So the most important decisions in their life aren't made by a stranger.” 853 likes
“It was just a kiss – "
"Yeah, and King Kong was just a monkey.”
66 likes