Start by marking “Duncan's Bride (Patterson-Cannon Family, #1)” as Want to Read:
Duncan's Bride (Patterson-Cannon Family, #1)

Duncan's Bride (Patterson-Cannon Family #1)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  5,987 Ratings  ·  286 Reviews
Reese wanted a wife. Someone to have children with, someone to help rebuild his ranch, someone uncomplicated, and very different from his first wife, the woman who'd destroyed his life. Now he had Madelyn--sophisticated, citified, willing to herd cattle, keep house and start a family. The only thing she asked for in return was love--one thing Reese couldn't guarantee.
Published July 1st 1998 by Mira Books (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Duncan's Bride, please sign up.

◆ Anna's ƦªϻƁℓℹռg$ ◆
3.5 STARS

I liked it. Not Howard's best but still enjoyable.

However, the story itself is hardly believable.

(view spoiler)

QUICK REVIEW:
Enjoyment: 3/5
Wr
Lisa Kay
May, 2012 Update
Read this last May and had to read it again for 2012! Loved it! With all the recordings of less-than-desirable books from the 80's & 90's, why can't they put this one on audio?

★★★★★ Five full stars! It has been 21 years since I last read Duncan’s Bride and it is still holds up to the ravishes of time and my fickle changes in reading material. I love Linda Howard at her best and I found her here in this quick-read of a Silhouette Intimate Moments publication. Ms. Howard has
Mo
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

Did a re-read... think it might drop a half star for me. He was a bit of a jerk. She was a bit too naive! Still a good read though. But my reading tastes have definitely changed over the years.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

I love anything by Linda. Serious, Gruff Hero who eventually succumbs to the love of a good woman. Need to get more of her older stuff out on Kindle. Thanks Jenna for the book.
Didi
4.5 STARS

I'm so glad I read this book! I was thisclose in returning it to the library, thinking it might not be as good as I hoped for. I don't even know why I thought that, but it was excellent. Reece Duncan is a Montana rancher hard on finances and time. He'd been burned before by an ex-wife determined to wreck him and bankrupt his ranch. Not again. This time, Reece was going to advertise for a woman built to withstand labour and the expectations of living on a ranch. So what if he doesn't lov
*TANYA*
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Kudos to this book because it's set back in the 80's and it mentions electric typewriters and people still communicate via mail. Lol. But I've NEVER been so upset with a book character before!!! EVER!!! Reese was so stubborn. Ugh. Nevertheless, this was an adorable book!! I. Must. Read. The. Follow up.
Crista
May 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Linda Howard is legendary in the romance genre, and this may be one of her finest. I recently reread it to see if it would live up to my fond memories and I am pleased to say, if anything, it surpassed them.

Reese Duncan is the quintessential Howard hero......... strong alpha, stubborn, sexy, and prideful. However, Duncan's Bride stands out to me NOT because of the hero, but because of the heroine. Madelyn is everything that I love my heroines to be. She has a ton of class, heart, devotion, work
Booklover
KNOCKED OUT!This is a 5++++++++++++++ rating book.Absolutely wonderful awesome heart warming emotional read.Loved Reese-Maddie both are cute adorable caring strong intelligent characters,Reese is a man full of integrity and his ranch is his pride and when that pride was attacked and half snatched he was filled with bitterness but Maddie came into his life and completely healed him though it took some time but he did came to his senses

Reese-Maddie's are now on my top 10 favourite couples shelf,i
Chantal ❤️
I will be brutally honest and say that I did like parts of this book but I did not looooove it.
The heroine was just about the most amazingly understanding woman to put up with his bullshit.
OR SHE IS A DOORMAT!?
You decide here.

Not only does he treat her horrible but he is a really terrible lover to the heroine.
That's a first for me! Normally, even if they are asshole, they are at least good in bed.

Sorry about my strong language here.
I just knew when he got out the lube for their first night
Vintage
I fully expected Duncan's Bride to be one of those weepy, Hallmark, watch the dove fly into the sunset and wipe away a tear kind of book. Sweet and schmaltzy. Hell on wheels NO! Madelyn is a kick-asss, spine of steel heroine that made laugh out loud. I want to be her. Madelyn, her reactions as well as her actions to Reese and her circumstances are the primary reasons to read this. The steamy sex doesn't hurt. Not overly explicit but hot.

Reese is an emotionally and financially bankrupt Wyoming ra
  • The Bridal Veil
  • Texas Glory (Leigh Brothers Texas Trilogy, #2)
  • The Promise of Jenny Jones
  • Dream Fever
  • A Texan's Luck (Wife Lottery, #3)
  • Heartbreak Creek (Runaway Brides #1)
  • The Tenderfoot Bride
  • The Heart Breaker (Rocky Mountain, #2)
  • Texas Bride (Mail-Order Brides #1)
  • The Rainbow Season (Turner's Rainbows Saga, #1)
  • Gold Ring of Betrayal
  • Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold (Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold, #1)
  • Annie's Song
  • Short Straw Bride

Linda S. Howington is an American best-selling romance author writing under the pseudonym Linda Howard. After 21 years of penning stories for her own enjoyment, she submitted a novel for publication which was very successful. Her first work was published by Silhouette in 1982. She is a charter member of Romance
More about Linda Howard...

Patterson-Cannon Family (2 books)
  • Loving Evangeline (Patterson-Cannon Family, #2)
“I'll tell you what's wrong!" he roared, "I'm trying to quit smoking!" Then he strode angrily to the truck, leaving her standing there.

She blinked her eyes, and slowly a smile stretched her lips. She strolled to the truck and got in. "So, are you homicidal or merely as irritable as a wounded buffalo?"

"About halfway in between," he said through clenched teeth.

"Anything I can do to help?"

His eyes were narrow and intense. "It isn't just the cigarettes. Take off your panties and lock your legs around me, and I'll show you.”
28 likes
“amusement in her eyes and had to grin.
"How are you feeling?" he asked, his voice dropping to a low, intimate tone that excluded everyone else in the cafe and made several women draw in their
breath.

Her mouth quirked in that self-amusement that made him want to grab her to him.

"This isn't one of my good days. The only thing holding me together is static cling."

"Come home with me, and I'll take care of you."
She looked him in the eye and said quietly, "Give me one good reason why I should."

Right there in front of God and most of Crook, Montana, he drew in a deep breath and took the gamble of a lifetime, his words plain and heard by all, because no one was making even the pretense of not listening.

"Because I love you."

Maddie blinked, and to his surprise he saw her eyes glitter with tears. Before he could start forward, however, her smile broke through like sunshine through a cloud bank. She didn't take the time to go around the counter; she climbed on top of it and slid off on the other side.

"It's about time," she said as she went into his arms.”
15 likes