Start by marking “Kill and Tell (CIA Spies, #1)” as Want to Read:
Kill and Tell (CIA Spies, #1)

Kill and Tell

(CIA Spies #1)

Still reeling from her mother's recent death, Karen Whitlaw is stunned when she receives a package containing a mysterious notebook from the father she has barely seen since his return from the Viet Nam War over twenty years ago. Unwilling to deal with her overwhelming emotions, Karen packs the notebook away, putting it - and her father - out of her mind, until she receive ...more
Published October 1st 2003 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Kill and Tell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kill and Tell

Mr. Perfect by Linda HowardAfter the Night by Linda HowardHard Evidence by Pamela ClareUnlawful Contact by Pamela ClareNaked in Death by J.D. Robb
Best Romantic Suspense
1,857 books — 2,517 voters
Dark Lover by J.R. WardSecrets of a Summer Night by Lisa KleypasThe Duke and I by Julia QuinnMine Till Midnight by Lisa KleypasOutlander by Diana Gabaldon
Best Romance Series
1,056 books — 1,587 voters

More lists with this book...

~Anna's ƦªϻƁℓℹռg$~
3.25 Stars

This is not one of Howard’s best in my opinion but it's still enjoyable. And I did like it overall, though not as much as the second book in this series which I read first. The story is interesting but the mystery is a bit weak.

What I like most about Howard’s writing is that, although her older books may sometimes seem outdated, her heroes are always ahead of their time: dark and brooding with alpha tendecies, dark stubble, strong, muscular features, threadbare jeans, shirts with sleev
Dina
Feb 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of LH's earlier romantic suspense novels, but her latest releases have failed to catch my interest. Kill and Tell is one of her oldies and, IMHO, a very good one.

The story starts with Dexter Whitlaw, a Vietnam veteran, sending a "mysterious" package to his estranged wife. Unbeknown to him, she died a few weeks ago and it's their daughter, Karen, who receives the package. Still grieving for her mother's death and resentfull of her father, who left them when she was only a teenager t
Amy | Foxy Blogs
**2.5 stars**

Karen is surprised by a package that arrives at her house from her estranged father. Karen is still mourning her mother’s death when she is informed her father has been murdered. Her father's murder wants her dead. All her friends are also in danger because of their association with her.

Detective Chastain is intrigued by the murder of a homeless man which happens to be Karen’s father. He takes it upon himself to protect Karen.

The chemistry between Karen and Marc Chastain was just o
Lady Heather
Oct 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: contemporary romance, and fans of thriller/suspense

"Dance with me," he said softly, standing up and holding out his hand to her. She stood and went silently into his arms. She closed her eyes, and her head found her personal resting place on his shoulder. There couldn't be anything more perfect, she thought, than slow dancing, barefoot, on a balcony in New Orleans, while the rain poured down and twilight wrapped around them.

Photobucket

This was the part of the book that had me hooked, and I couldn't put it down until the mystery solved (which just happe
♥Rachel♥
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to ♥Rachel♥ by: Eva • All Books Considered
Oh, Kill and Tell was sooo good! Wickedly sexy, with just the right amount of action, danger, and mystery.

Karen’s estranged father is murdered in New Orleans not long after the death of her beloved mother and her emotions are in turmoil. From meeting the very male (yum!) and a little hostile Detective Marc Chastain, to having attempts on her life, Karen’s life is turned upside down! Marc is a little gruff with Karen when his mistakes her demeanor for cold heartlessness, but he soon realizes jus
Lauren
Kill and Tell
3.5 Stars

After receiving a package from her estranged father, Karen Whitlaw doesn't even give it a second glance. But when Dexter Whitlaw is murdered in New Orleans and Karen is plagued by a series of mysterious "accidents", she soon realizes that someone is desperate to get their hands on the package. With help from homicide detective, Marc Chastain, Karen must learn her father's secrets before she falls victim to a determined killer.

The suspense plot is good, but the romance fall
❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️
 photo 5ae020b0bd3ce802ee52bdb758d240be_zpsvpc0wnc6.jpg

Rereading 5/24/15
I'm in the mood for a Linda Howard book, rereading a favorite.

I knew I loved this book but I'd forgotten how much I loved it!! Marc Chastain is a New Orleans Detective investigating the murder of what appears to be a homeless man. Soon he learns the man's identity as Dexter Whitlaw a Vietnam veteran. Marc is a compassionate man who decides to look further into the veteran's death and track down his next of kin.

Karen Whitlaw is an ER Nurse who is still mourning the death of he
MelissaB
Great romantic suspense set in New Orleans and Ohio. I loved the scenes in New Orleans, I almost felt like I was in the French Quarter siting on the balcony with Mark and Karen. I love how LH described Mark and his southern gentleman characteristics. The scene where he seduces Karen with some wine and dancing on a steamy New Orleans night was so hot! I highly recommend this book!
KatieV
I liked it, but not the best LH I've read.

As usual the hero was sexy, although I wasn't on board with his original plan to simply seduce the grieving heroine with no thought of a future relationship. Perhaps in a man's mind - the magic penis is a thing and he really thought some great sex would soothe her grief over her father's death. He quickly abandoned that plan for insta-love however. I don't feel like the relationship ever developed all that much, just *bam* instalove.

The hero from the nex
Kathleen
I do love Linda Howard. This romantic suspense gets going strong in the second half. Maybe 4 stars. Erotica. Hot steamy read, in Audible, narrated superbly by Natalie Ross. This book is set in New Orleans and Columbus, Ohio. It is the first of a series, but the books are only loosely connected.

Detective Mark Chastain is some kind of heart-throb, huh? Gotta love a Howard hero: protective, passionate, smart, and sweet.

On the down side, there is too much time spent in introspection (my pet peeve,
Jane Stewart
Excellent romantic suspense. Good thriller, interesting characters, good relationships, good plot and action.

Dexter was a Vietnam Vet who abandoned his wife and daughter after the war. He was murdered. His daughter Karen went to New Orleans to identify and bury him. She met detective Marc and a romance began. The killer started going after Karen. John Medina has a small part at the end of this book. He is the main character in the next book: "All The Queen's Men."

I loved the scene where Karen fi
Jacob Proffitt
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, steamy, suspense
What a fantastic read! I couldn't resist picking this up when I saw that it was set (at least partially) in New Orleans. I couldn't put it down when I found that the hero was a completely yummy creole cop with all his protective alpha instincts filtered through that gorgeous Southern charm and generosity. Wow. Really, that should be all that needs be said. Seriously, Marc is beyond hot and well worth the book by himself.

If that's not enough, then add a heroine you'd love to be friends with who n
Linda
Let me just say that Linda Howard knows how to tease the reader before pulling her/him in. KILL AND TELL begins, with what appears to be, a demented veteran bent on killing someone. Instead, he is killed.

Dexter Whitlaw was at one time a young husband and father. Then he joined the Vietnam war and became a sniper; he was good at it, but something happened. Years passed and his wife remained faithful but Dexter rarely returned home. When he does he is not the same man.

Karen Whitlaw, a nurse, had b
♡Karlyn P♡
3.5 stars, maybe because it read a bit outdated I didn't quite get into all of the book. Loved the H/h's chemistry, but the romance felt rushed. The suspense story was solid and interesting. The ending was a bit over the top though and included a major pet peeve of mine (view spoiler) ...more
Nadia
DNF at 49%.

I still love Linda Howard, but this book and I were not meant to be. I don't like the story, the heroine, the hero or the villain(s). I went through the same torture with LH's Dream Man and don't care doing it again.

The same amount of pages is devoted to some random characters that have nothing to contribute to the story, as it is to the main characters. And Marc. Ugh. At first he's such a judgmental SoB and after he notices how Karen tightly holds her hands, he decides she needs som
Cheri
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I read these out of order I was okay with the storyline. I loved this book. True LH at her best!
Tanvi
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
*4.25 out of 5 Stars

After the first one-third of the book, this was such a fast-paced rollercoaster of emotion and smooth romance and action and entertainment and just everything I love in a Linda Howard book!

That said, I did have a couple issues with some of the things that kept pulling me out of the story - for instance, (view spoiler)
CD {Boulder Blvd}
Originally published back in 1998, Linda Howard's Kill and Tell is still an awesome read. I had originally bought the paper back when it was published and since I liked the book soo much, I bought the hard back for my library shelves. It has been so long since I read this book, it was almost like reading it for the first time. I thoroughly enjoyed the read.

Some of my favorite points:

1. This book has a great plot. I really liked the suspense and the way LH pulled in and developed her characters.

Carrie
3* for story (B-/C+)
4.5* for narration by Natalie Ross (A)

The story was somewhat weak to me. It was too confusing and took too long to get off the ground. Thankfully, the second half of the book was faster-paced and more interesting than the first part.

I liked several of the secondary characters as much or more than the main characters. Marc and Karen were way too caught up in what happened before and spent too much time in their own heads, especially in the first part of the book. Overall it wa
Collette
Jul 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: romantic suspense
This is the first in a trilogy featuring John Medina (ultimate spy). He doesn't have much play time in this book though as it's centered around yummy Marc, a cop from New Orleans and the withdrawn Karen, nurse from Ohio. Her estranged father winds up murdered in New Orleans and since he was ex-military Marc wants to help Karen find out what happened and also to help her get over her self-protection mode. It gets a bit steamy in places and they do seem to spend a lot of quality bed-time getting t ...more
Diana
Mar 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I've read a lot of erotic romance and erotica in the ten years since I first turned into a puddle of goo while reading the seduction scene in Kill and Tell. I still haven't read anything sexier. What could be more erotic than slow dancing barefoot on a balcony on a rainy night in New Orleans with a hot cajun detective focused on getting you into his bed? Nothing, I tell you. The dreamy scene, told without graphic and clinical detail, as seen through the eyes of the thoroughly seduced heroine is ...more
Ari
Feb 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It fell short.

The mystery behind the story was interesting, and that's what gave the book 3 stars, but mixing that with the romance just did not do it for me.

You meet a man, know him for less than ten days, and you are now in love with him? Then, of course, vice versa. Nah, don't work. Granted, he's a really nice alpha, but she couldn't have known more than a fact or two about what kind of person he was and suddenly she's head over heels.

Ehhhh.
HJ
Oct 03, 2013 rated it liked it
reread 5/2015
Perry ★TBBSisterhood Blog★
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: quick-read
Quinn made me do it. I'll get her!
Samantha
Apr 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
Gina
May 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
An excellent ‘why are people trying to kill me’ mystery.

I understood how Karen Whitlaw was feeling. While never been in a situation like that, it was close. To lose someone so close to you so quickly, then to lose someone who is supposed to be close to you soon afterwards would have anyone feeling as she felt. A brave woman, she uses her head, her instincts, and her fight for survival to get herself out of whatever situation she finds herself in.

Marc Chastain is one hell of a detective. It’s ver
Norma
Sep 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great story, great writing. LH on top of her game. At times the descriptions of how wonderful Marc is and how wonderful he treats all women got to me. Really Marc, you're just a man. You may be a good one, but you are just human. Stop thinking how wonderful you are and just show me. Oh, and wearing a condom while you are dancing on a balcony is NOT WONDERFUL! It's creepy! Not sure I'll ever get passed that. :)

All in all, this is a great read. Marc and Karen are both great characters. I love that
Kath
Feb 19, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The best part about this audiobook was the narrator. I usually love Ms. Howards work, but this one was way below most of her others.

While I enjoyed the characters main characters, the story seemed a little too rushed and it lackec the excitement of some of her other mysteries. The dialog between the "bad guys" was uninteresting and didn't have you asking why about anything other than what they were after.

The romance between the two main characters was alright, but the book was very slow to star
Amanda Sheila
Classic Linda Howard plot and I loved it! Though I was hoping for more drama and more romance, but overall I enjoyed the book. Linda Howard always nailed it, in terms of the thrill of the chase and the storyline. But again, I want more drama, dammit! Haha.

Look forward to read more from her.
Mitzi
Great audio book. Looking forward to reading more in this series.
Linda Howard Book...: July '18 BOTM - Kill And Tell 12 13 Jul 23, 2018 12:06AM
Marc Chastain vs. John Medina 13 66 May 07, 2017 09:25AM
recomendations for romantic suspense 6 51 May 07, 2017 09:23AM
  • Shadow Dance
  • Ice Storm (Ice, #4)
  • Tell Me No Lies
  • Crazy Hot (Steele Street, #1)
  • Out Of Control (McClouds & Friends #3)
  • Hard Evidence (I-Team, #2)
  • Deadly Dreams (Mindhunters, #5)
  • No Control (Delta Force #2)
  • Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4)
  • Kill Me Twice (Bullet Catcher, #1)

Linda S. Howington is an American best-selling romance author writing under the pseudonym Linda Howard. After 21 years of penning stories for her own enjoyment, she submitted a novel for publication which was very successful. Her first work was published by Silhouette in 1982. She is a charter member of Romance

CIA Spies (3 books)
  • All the Queen's Men (CIA Spies, #2)
  • Kiss Me While I Sleep (CIA Spies, #3)
“Death isn't peaceful; it is just nothing. Everything is gone. No more sunrises, no more hopes, no more fears. Nothing.” 40 likes
“He supposed he knew, rationally, that she wasn't the prettiest woman in the world, but if his eyes saw any imperfections, his heart didn't care.” 10 likes