Start by marking “My Life as a Potato” as Want to Read:
My Life as a Potato

My Life as a Potato

For anyone who has ever felt like a potato in middle school, this hilarious story about a boy forced to become the dorkiest school mascot ever will have readers cheering!

"A grade A, spudtastic (not to mention FUNNY) debut. Arianne Costner sure knows middle school and middle schoolers!" --Chris Grabenstein, #1 New York Times bestselling author of Escape from Mr. Lemoncello'
Hardcover
Expected publication: March 24th 2020 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about My Life as a Potato, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Life as a Potato

Arianne Costner
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Hey everyone! Author here. Thanks for being on this page. This book is so close to my heart. I had way too much fun writing it (I basically spent the months I drafted it cackling maniacally to myself 😆) I hope you enjoy MY LIFE AS A POTATO. I hope it lets you laugh/forget about problems/etc, if for just a little bit. ❤ ...more
Kynzi
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my sister's book! I am eleven. It was a very good book. I like potatoes. It was funny.
Stefanie
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My Life as a Potato is a hilariously a-peeling story! (Couldn’t resist a potato pun!) You will laugh out loud reading this story about a Ben, a middle schooler, who thinks potatoes have jinxed his life. After a hot-dog tossing incident in the school cafeteria, Ben’s punishment is to sub as the basketball team mascot, a Spud! In order to save face with his new friends, Ben keeps his “double life” as a Potato a secret from them. But when his tater stunts aren’t well received at the games, Ben’s mi ...more
Leah
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My Life as a Potato by Arianne Costner is about Ben Hardy, a seventh-grader who recently moved to Idaho. This is not exactly the best development in his life since he believes that he is cursed by potatoes--a big problem when he is surrounded by them. Even the school mascot, Steve the Spud, is a potato!

After Ben accidentally sprains the mascot's ankle, he is forced to fill in for the last few basketball games of the season. Ben must do anything to keep his friends and classmates in the dark abou
Tanya
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this hilarious debut in two sittings! Based on the cover alone, I knew this would be a fun read. Ben moved from California to a small town in Idaho, and in typical fish-out-of-water fashion, he feels pretty homesick. He misses the ocean and skateboarding parks, and is pretty unsure about his new school's obsession with basketball and potatoes, especially since he's convinced that the potato is his nemesis. After a hot dog bouncing incident in the school cafeteria, he's forced to ...more
Olivia Wildenstein
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Funtastic

This was one of the funniest and cutest middle grade books I’ve read. Right on par with The Wimpy Kid.

I laughed and grinned and held my breath during Ben’s adventures as a spud.

I read this out loud to my kids (ages 7 and 10) at bedtime. Suffice to say, this wasn’t a good idea, because they were always requesting, “one more chapter, Mom.” They both LOVED it and took away such different things from the same story.

Arianne, I’m going to be buying this book for all the kids I know, and I
Lizzie McClellan
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Obsessed with this book! My husband and I laughed through the whole thing. The character development is amazing, capturing the mindset of a typical middle school student - total throwback for me. As a 5th grade teacher, I'm familiar with middle grade books. This is a good one. Read it with your children, read it with your students, or even just read it by yourself! You will love it!
Scott
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My Life As A Potato is a hilarious and accurate look at middle school kids, their attempts to fit in, the quest to avoid embarrassment above all else, their crushes, and the way they complicate their own lives with their choices without thinking things through.

More than anything, it's just plain fun, as you'd expect from a book about a kid who dresses as a potato.
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
MY LIFE AS A POTATO is a hilarious take on middle-school life that will delight middle-grade readers. Ben is a memorable character that readers can really root for. (No pun intended!) The themes about friendship are timeless, and it's wrapped up in a highly entertaining package.
Colleen
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
MY LIFE AS A POTATO is a truly funny yet heartwarming take on middle-grade life. From awkward flirtations and insecurities to full-out cringeworthy mishaps, Costner’s killer voice and engaging style will capture your heart and make you laugh from start to finish. Kids will love this book!
Kristen Cook
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Funny and cute! Such a delightful and fun read. :)
Christina
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not a coincidence. Not bad luck. Ben Hardy insists he’s cursed by...potatoes? In Arianne Costner’s hilarious debut novel, MY LIFE AS A POTATO (set to release March 24, 2020), seventh-grader Ben lays out the facts of his unfortunate experiences with the starchy vegetable—the latest evidence is his recent move from Los Angeles to South Fork, Idaho. He’s a little culture shocked attending his new, very small middle school who’s mascot is, you guessed it, a spud! Nonetheless, he’d like to fit in and ...more
Risa Nyman
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a treat this book is. My Life as a Potato throws you into middle school and all the drama and humor that is part of it. From page one, Ben Hardy enters our hearts as a new kid trying to find his place and to learn who he is as Idaho Ben which turns out to be quite different than California Ben.

How Ben copes with new situations abounds with funny disasters and whacky adventures and lots of learning about himself. Ben gets enmeshed in sneaking around and lying to his friends and is about to b
Michele
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
Seventh grader, Ben Hardy, is roped into performing as the school mascot at the next few basketball games. Ben is NOT happy about this situation. He has just moved to Idaho from California and the team mascot is...Steve the Spud. He is embarrassed and also cursed by potatoes and he is convinced it's not going to go well. He tells lie upon lie to keep anyone from finding out the potato's secret identity. The activities (band, cheerleaders and mascot at the game) seemed more suited to a high schoo ...more
Alysha Bangerter
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! It was a pretty quick read and also hilarious! Both boys and girls can relate to the main character, Ben. I will definitely recommend this book to all my friends. Good message in a great book!
Stacy Hackney
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book! so fun and hilarious. This is a spot-on depiction of middle school and a fantastic new middle grade voice. The illustrations are just one more added bonus!
Charlys
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was hilarious, even for adults to read. My cheeks hurt afterwards from laughing. It was very well-written with witty humor and a storyline with good twists and a positive ending
Karah
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book had me grinning the whole way through. The characters are vibrant and charming, and it's filled with laugh-out-loud moments. I loved it!
Kate O'Shaughnessy
Demarie Long
Lance Shreeve
Dafne Vergara Quintana
Oct 19, 2018
Arianne Costner is a past English teacher who lives in the middle of the desert with two toddlers bent on destroying her house. When she isn't writing, she can be found playing the piano and composing music. She was a Pitchwars mentee in 2017, and a Pitchwars mentor in 2018. Her debut, MY LIFE AS A POTATO, is being published by Random House in Spring 2020, with a second novel to follow in 2021.