Start by marking “Dear Mother: Poems on the hot mess of motherhood” as Want to Read:
Dear Mother: Poems on the hot mess of motherhood

Dear Mother: Poems on the hot mess of motherhood

The first collection of poetry from Bunmi Laditan, bestselling author of Confessions of a Domestic Failure and creator of The Honest Toddler, capturing the honesty, rawness, sheer joy and total madness of motherhood. With the compassion and wit that have made her a social media sensation among mothers around the world, Bunmi Laditan puts into evocative and relatable words ...more
Published April 2nd 2019 by MIRA

To ask other readers questions about Dear Mother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dear Mother

Start your review of Dear Mother: Poems on the hot mess of motherhood
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
The audacity of a child's
demands for love
are only matched
by the ridiculous depths
of the love their parents
have for them.

Dear Mother wasn't exactly what I was expecting, in good ways and bad. Having followed the author on Facebook for the last couple of years, I'm used to her hilarious, crude, weird status updates, so I honestly expected this to be a funny collection of anecdotes about her kids and her reactions to their zaniness. Instead, I got a collection that was 10% humor, 90% utter
Lisa
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: march-2019
Thank you to Harlequin for allowing me to review this beautiful book of poetry. Dear Mother by Bunmi Laditan is available April 4, 2019.

Bunmi Laditan is maybe better known for her Honest Toddler tweets. She has always been the most honest about the struggles and massive amounts of yourself that goes into motherhood. I love her honesty online, taking pictures of her pizza delivery after grocery shopping, the piles of laundry that live on her sofa, and the daily struggles of trying to live a life
Kimberly
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was the book I didn’t know I needed. If you are a mother and you struggle with loving yourself, your kids, your life-this book is for you. It won’t fix anything but it will help you feel less alone.
Rachel
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, parenting
I laughed, I cried (a LOT), and felt so seen and celebrated reading these poems. This is a new side to Bunmi Laditan and it's as tender as beautiful as her previous books are hilarious.
Christina
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I needed this. ...more
Julia
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: canadian, 2019, poetry
Every mother should read this book. It's marvellous balm for the soul. It made me laugh but it also made me cry. Well done!
Sue
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I LOVED this book. I’ve been trying to find poetry that speaks to me - that doesn’t feel like a disenchanted teenager raging against the machine. A literature professor once talked about how poetry is for the heart, not the head; and this collection really felt like forgiveness, love, wonder, warmth, and acceptance all in one beautiful package.

I have a good friend who’s pregnant with her first child, and I plan to give her a copy. I wish this book had been around when I was in that boat 17
Alana
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My first true 5/5 read of the year. This was a wonderful book of poetry about motherhood - its ups, downs, and everything in between. I teared up several times and really felt the honesty in all the poems.
As someone who has struggled with perinatal mental health issues I really appreciate the vulnerability Bunmi shows in her poetry about motherhood.
This is a book I will be sharing with other moms.
Zara
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some of these poems are really just one liner jokes, some are kind of obvious and mundane, but some got at a true, deep, raw nugget of what it feels like to be a mother.
Jen
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As always, Bunmi's words are both simple and relateable while being beautiful and powerful at the same time. I'll be cherishing this book, buying copies for my new momma friends.
Mehsi
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

So I tried this one yesterday, but believe me it was a terrible idea. My kindle just ate this one to pieces, destroying illustrations, poems didn’t make sense as they were all tumbled together. But yeah, I was in bed, so I didn’t have a chance to read it another way. Until today. I just downloaded it to my PC, and voila it was readable. However, I did find out that I don’t like most poems even though they are now way more
Ren
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dont-own-read
This is one of the best collections of poetry on motherhood I’ve ever read. The first chapter on love literally made me weepy so closely it described how I feel about my children. The second chapter on laughter made me laugh so hard it brought tears to my eyes. Poetry like this reminds me that I’m not alone, giving song to the most poignant moments of parenting.

The rest of the chapters offer something for every type of parent- perfectly organized to allow for a rise and fall of emotions that
Sara Sweeney
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So perfect. Good for new mothers and old ones too

Loved it. Laughed. Cried. Smiled. Sighed. Great mothers day gift, shower gift, or even just because gift. I feel seen.
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It made me cry on one page and laugh on the next. I know I will reread this collection many times.
Lauren M.
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you are a mother, in any capacity, I cannot recommend this enough. Some of the poems will make you laugh, some will make you cry, some will make you think, and smile. So much beauty wrapped up in motherhood, Bunmi does an excellent job at expressing it all.
Leigh
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It’s honest, funny and has somehow tapped into my truest feelings about motherhood. Brave mothers who lay themselves bare for us in this way, give us an extraordinary gift. Bunmi Laditan is a powerhouse of an author.
Laura Malysewich
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
These poems are beautiful, heart wrenching, hilarious, and wonderful. Laditan perfectly describes motherhood and marriage within these pieces. I immediately recommended this book to all my mom friends.
Megan Dittrich-Reed
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it
So, I give this book a 4 for relatability and honesty and a 2 for execution. I really enjoy Bunmi Laditan's humor and raw real takes on motherhood online, and I definitely resonated with most of the sentiments she expresses in these poems. One or two of them even made me tear up.

My issues with the book are 1. Many of the poems are repetitive. She hits on the exact same topics several times, often without even changing the wording much. 2. As poems...they're just not very good. As internet
Christopher
I'm not the biggest fan of audiobooks, but being an avid podcast fan and challenged by Book Riot to listen to an audiobook of poetry, I decided to check this one out from my library's digital app and give it a try. I may have try listening to more poetry on audio as this was such an enjoyable listening experience.

Written by the author of Toddlers Are A**holes, Ms. Laditan gives a picture of motherhood that is both beautiful and whimsical. I especially liked her play on Edgar Allan Poe's "The
Shana
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
My mother kindly sent me a copy of this book to peruse when I feel particularly stressed out with parenting my own two kids. I was familiar with Bunmi Laditan from social media, but do not currently follow her so was curious to see what these poems would be like. For someone like me who does not typically enjoy poetry, this collection was perfect. A lot of them read like Tweets or status updates, which I guess makes sense given her rise to fame in those mediums. The sentiments are often short ...more
Elizabeth Mellen
I expected, from reading books by this author before, for this to be funny and relatable. And don’t get me wrong, parts were. But it was heavier than what I was hoping for and lots just didn’t click for me. I would absolutely still recommend it if poetry is your thing, but it’s not always mine and so when I do branch out into it, it’s hit or miss.

The hot mess of motherhood appealed to me, and maybe if it had been all that it would’ve ended up rating higher for me because that it what’s so where
Anna
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is not a book like Bunmi's others. She is known for her comedy, for her Honest Toddler take and funny look at motherhood in Confessions of a Domestic Failure. This is more a look into her soul - the trials and triumphs of mothering young children. It's easy to read, but it is poetry not prose so you need to concentrate (for a brief moment) and take in the words. I found myself having to re-read, as I can be a bit of a skimmer.

This would be a great Mother's Day gift for the mom of young
Marion Malsbury
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone...
.This little book of brilliant poetry made me laugh out loud in bed and also brought me to tears..my first 5 star rating this year. Bunmi Laditan pens the feelings most mothers carry in our hearts for our entire lives. This book is relevant to mom want-a-bes through to old grannies like me. Our "babies" never really stop being our babies.....and this little gem gathers those universal soul truths. An amazing collection !
Maria Motley-Arnold
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I very rarely read poetry but I picked this book up on a whim as an early Mother's Day present for myself. I follow Bunmi Laditan on FB and Twitter. I'm so so glad I did. Laditan's poems range from funny and irreverent to heartbreaking. She encompasses the joy, pain, frustration and laughter of motherhood the span of these poems. This is going to be my new go-to gift for expectant mothers. I want to buy a copy for all my mommy friends.
Kris
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is a mix of funny and serious and thought-provoking poetry about motherhood, but specifically, about the early, exhausting, lonely, joyful days of early motherhood. This would have been more relatable for me when my kids were smaller, I think. The one thing I didn’t like were the poems that put mothers up on a pedestal and made it sound like entire identities were defined by it. A mixed bag, but good overall.
Jam
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
You have my eyes
I pray you don't have my brain
and won't spend a lifetime
battling invisible armies
that march in endless formation
strong relentless soldiers
trained by your secrets
fed a steady diet of your hope

You have my eyes
please let that be all

I enjoyed all of the poems overall, and while not all of them clicked with me exactly, I will say that in this book of poems, there is something for everyone. Something that really gets you and won't let go.
Jennifer Lavoie
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a mother, but enjoyable

Enjoyable poetry and little sayings about motherhood. The poems are funny, serious, and sad. The ones about depression and some at the end hold true even to women who are not mothers. Some made me wish I was a mom, others made me glad I’m not. A good collection best read over several sittings.
Lanette Sweeney
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
These slight little poems may not be literary masterpieces, but they will serve as symphonies to many mothers of young children who are fighting exhaustion and constant self-doubt. Laditan has written a brilliant, moving little collection. I would and will give this as a gift to new mothers. A delight and a reassurance to read.
Vicki Petersen
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet collection of the highs and lows most of us encounter throughout our motherhood journey. Read it once to take it all in. Then absorb it in snackable bits on those days you’re convinced your child is the only one who doesn’t listen, who takes an hour to eat two chicken nuggets, and who can make you laugh and cry in the same moment. You got this moms!!
Nithya Anand
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
I see the author’s usual medium is Twitter - that makes sense with this book. These are really short little notes about moms and motherhood, very nice but - they become platitudes when put together like this in a book format. A couple of sentences of “you are doing good, you are great, you got this” do not qualify as a poem.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dear Scarlet: The Story of My Postpartum Depression
  • Cat and Nat's Mom Truths: Embarrassing Stories and Brutally Honest Advice on the Extremely Real Struggle of Motherhood
  • You Can Only Yell at Me for One Thing at a Time: Rules for Couples
  • Love Poems for Married People
  • Good Moms Have Scary Thoughts: A Healing Guide to the Secret Fears of New Mothers
  • How to Raise a Reader
  • Where To Begin: A Small Book About Your Power to Create Big Change in Our Crazy World
  • A Woman of Firsts: The Midwife Who Built a Hospital and Changed the World
  • Don't Wait Up: Confessions of a Stay-at-Work Mom
  • Just Peachy: Comics About Depression, Anxiety, Love, and Finding the Humor in Being Sad
  • To Drink Coffee with a Ghost (Things that Haunt, #2)
  • This Is the Journey
  • #IMomSoHard
  • Many Ways to Say I Love You: Wisdom for Parents and Children from Mister Rogers
  • Can You Feel This?
  • The Stepsister Scheme (Princess, #1)
  • The Destruction of the Books (The Rover #2)
  • The City
Bunmi Laditan is a contributor to Parenting.com, Mothering.com, iVillage.com, and The Huffington Post. She lives with her family outside of Montreal. The Honest Toddler is based on her youngest child. Not potty trained, not trying, HT enjoys attention, cake, television, running & games.
“dear mother,

our daughters watch us
to see what they'll be expected to be
and our sons watch us
to see what they'll be able to get away with”
1 likes
“Be careful how you speak about
yourself
for your works will become
your daughter's mother tongue”
1 likes