Start by marking “Cold Wrath (Hennessey & Yellich #25)” as Want to Read:
Cold Wrath (Hennessey & Yellich #25)

Cold Wrath

(Hennessey & Yellich #25)

Who was Anthony Garrett? The murder of a reclusive local man draws DCI Hennessey and DS Yellich into a baffling new case.

On a hot summer morning, Miles Law cycles into the village of Millington in the Vale of York, on his way to a few hours' work as an under gardener at The Grange. But when he arrives, he finds his employer slumped in an armchair in the drawing room, a
Published April 1st 2019 by Severn House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Cold Wrath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Wrath

Linda Strong
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
When Miles Law reports the death of his employer, Anthony Garrett, DCI Hennessey and DS Yellich are called in to investigate.

Garrett was a reclusive, a shut-in, who kept everyone at a distance. Each of his employees had a different knock when they came to his house ... and no one entered without knocking.

He had one neighbor, an elderly woman who states that the man had company the morning he was shot and killed .... three young women, identical in looks and dress. One of the women entered withou
Lou
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cold Wrath is the twenty-fifth novel in the DCI George Hennessey and DS Somerled Yellich series, set in beautiful York, and here, the team investigate the mysterious execution-style murder of a quiet, reclusive member of the community. Each instalment can be read as standalones. Once again, Turnbull delivers an intriguing and utterly charming mystery. If I'm honest the writing style does take a little getting used to but don't let that put you off as it's well worth your time; I particularly enj ...more
Andi
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this a while ago, and I really enjoyed it. It was well written with lots of description, and I found the book intriguing. I do like the detective duo and find them a good pair to follow along the way to solving the crimes.

Thanks to NetGalley, Peter Turnbull and Severn House Publishers
Joyce
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars

I read the Kindle edition.

Hennessey and Yellich are back to investigate another murder in this latest addition to the series. Miles Law is the under-gardener who doesn’t miss a trick. He sizes up the situation at a glance and doesn’t hesitate to tell it like it is.

Anthony Garrett was a wealthy man who was universally disliked. He did not often go out of his house and kept himself to himself. His callers even had their own special knocks for the front door as designated by Garrett.

Then a
Carole
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-books
Cold Wrath by Peter Turnbull is #25 in the series featuring Detective Chief Inspector George Hennessey and Detective Superintendent Somerled Yellich. However, it reads well as a standalone. On a summer morning, in the village of Millington, a gardener finds his employer Anthony Garrett shot dead in his home named The Grange. It falls to Hennessey and Yellich to solve the murder of the secretive and reclusive victim. What stood out for me in this murder mystery is the old-fashioned style of writi ...more
Patricia Romero
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it
In the village of Millington in the Vale of York, Miles Law, the under-gardener for The Grange, is hoping to pick up a bit of work before the heat sets in. Miles is a sharp fellow. He notices things. As does the elderly neighbor directly across from The Grange.

And on this day something is wrong. While no one really knows Anthony Garrett, the owner of The Grange, they do know he is fastidious about his routine of making sure every window and door are locked tight and he is rarely seen. When Miles
Hannelore Cheney
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you NetGalley and Severn House for the eARC.
Detectives Hennessey and Yellich are on the hunt of the killer of the reclusive owner of The Grange, Anthony Garrett. He was found by his gardener and on interviewing a neighbor, Yellich hears the strange story of three identical blonde women visiting The Grange, walking oddly, one entering the house, two standing sentry outside.
I really enjoyed the mystery and the solving of it. The writing is different, it's almost old-fashioned, except for the
Marianne
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a good read, the plot intriguing and the characters were very well developed. Oddly, every character, be it policeman or villian, had a tragedy in their past. The whole book seemed to be a study on how personal tragedy shapes our lives, characters, and behaviors. The victim of the novel died as a result of his beastly behavior. The author wrote in a different style than the authors I am used to reading. The conversations and behaviors seem very quaint for a contemporary novel. Who uses ...more
Svetlana Tishchenko
Feb 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley
I'm sorry but I could not read it. I've tried. I've persevered. But I could not find anything interesting in this book yo keep me reading. The way the author tells the story has to many words, bends and lps but none of the spark, hook and suspense.
I had to leave this book be.
After reading pages and pages I am still at a loss as to what happened as nothing did yet.
Sandra Leivesley
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
The plot of the book was quite interesting but for a contemporary crime novel it had quite an old fashioned feel because of the authors style of writing. He likes to use a dozen words where just a couple would have been sufficient which made the book tedious to read. If I had bought this book rather than receive a review copy I would probably have given up.
Doug Murphy
Lynne Beaumont
Mar 03, 2019
WHPL Reference
Feb 20, 2019 marked it as mystery
Find it at the West Hempstead Pubic Library http://encore.alisweb.org/iii/encore/...
Walter Schoenly
is currently reading it
May 13, 2019
Francisco Hernandez
May 18, 2019
Peter Turnbull is the author of nineteen previous novels and numerous works of short fiction. He worked for many years as a social worker in Glasgow before returning to his native Yorkshire.

Hennessey & Yellich (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Fear of Drowning (Hennessey & Yellich, #1)
  • Deathtrap (Hennessey & Yellich, #2)
  • Perils and Dangers (Hennessey & Yellich, #3)
  • The Return (Hennessey & Yellich, #4)
  • After the Flood (Hennessey & Yellich, #5)
  • Dark Secrets (Hennessey & Yellich, #6)
  • All Roads Leadeth (Hennessey & Yellich, #7)
  • Treasure Trove (Hennessey & Yellich, #8)
  • The Dance Master (Hennessey & Yellich, #9)
  • Hopes and Fears (Hennessey & Yellich, #10)