Start by marking “Pablo Picasso, 1881-1973: Genius of the Century” as Want to Read:
Pablo Picasso, 1881-1973: Genius of the Century

Pablo Picasso, 1881-1973: Genius of the Century

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  528 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Pablo Picasso once said, "If there's something to be stolen, I steal it." Few artists have helped themselves as liberally from the treasures of bygone art. His own legacy is scarcely paralleled in its scope and diversity. Our study of Picasso, the most exhaustive record of his work to date, contains almost 1500 illustrations - from his earliest drawings to the master's ver ...more
Published May 17th 2000 by Taschen (first published August 3rd 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Pablo Picasso, 1881-1973, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pablo Picasso, 1881-1973

Magdalen
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
"I'm no pessimist. I don't loathe art because I couldn't live without devoting all my time to it. I love it as the only end of my life. Everything I do connected with it gives me intense pleasure. But still, I don't see why the whole world should be taken up with art, demand its credentials, and on that subject give free rein to its own stupidity. Museums are just a lot of lies, and the people who make art their business are mostly impostors."

Short version: WOW!
Longer version: Yes obviousl
Daniel Wichers
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Het boek neemt je op een hele boeiende manier mee door de ontwikkeling van Picasso zijn kunstwerken en kunstperiodes.
Matt
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
A concise and broad biography of Picasso focusing on his art and how it changed from one period to another. I hesitate to say that the art 'evolved' because Picasso seemed to dislike the idea, arguing that each piece was designed to speak to the time it was created, and to express a specific idea, and that there was no evolution towards a more perfect 'art.'
Lourdes Cambridge
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
EVERYTHING BUT FIDELITY. HOW I SURVIVED PICASSSO. STEVE MARTIN'S IF EINSTEIN MET PICASSO.
Jaimie
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Could they have made the type in this book any smaller? I get that it’s meant to be a condensed overview of Picasso’s work, but they shouldn’t make the type so small that it becomes difficult to read unless it’s meant to be a minimal amount and basically supplementary to the images (which in this case, it’s clearly not). That being said, the book did meet its goal in providing a brief and accessible overview of the artist; the author went into just enough detail that we gained a reasonable glimp ...more
Jason
Sep 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: artists!
Recommended to Jason by: a premonition
when you begin a picture, you often make some pretty discoveries. You must be on guard against these. Destroy it, do it over several times. With each destruction of a beautiful discovery, the artist does not really suppress it, but rather transforms it, condenses it, makes it more substantial. What comes out in the end is the result of discarded finds. Otherwise you become your own connoisseur. After all, i don't buy my own pictures.

Man, this book was awesome. Picasso, the sad, wallowing genius
Maureen
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Good overview of P's work.
Gerry Parle
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Reasonable general overview of Picasso & his work. Some of the critiques on his work were either pseudo intellectual or intellectual beyond my appreciation.
Tim Pendry
Dec 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Another in the excellent Taschen series on individual artists that retails at a phenomenally low price. I nearly gave it the full five stars but there are one or two attempts to over-explain the works that just halted me from that accolade.

Nevertheless, this is an excellent introduction to Picasso that I think is superior to the older Roland Penrose introduction in the Phaidon series which has just a touch too much hagiography for my taste. In fact, Walther's book made me appreciate Picasso as a
Ugh
May 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
Disappointing. The book is subtitled "Genius of the Century", but it completely fails to convey why Picasso deserves such an enormous accolade. In fact, it doesn't really even seem to try. There's nothing in the text to indicate that Picasso was more skillful, insightful, imaginative or important than his contemporaries. The book picks up its two stars for two reasons: firstly, the production qualities, as with the rest of this Taschen range, are very high; and secondly, there are lots of quotes ...more
Natasha P.
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, al-tacto
Simplemente impresionante. Desde los pensamientos mas oscuros, azules, negros y rosas de Picasso, hasta el inicio de una época moderna, el cubismo, y el final de su misma vida; los motivos y aspiraciones del considerado "Padre del collage y cubismo" ademas de algunos que otros detalles de la terrible vida amorosa que tuvo, hacen de este libro una obra maestra para cualquier amante de lo físico y el arte.

Contiene obras tan maravillosas como "La vida" "Mujer llorando" "Mendigos en la playa" "Gue
Wilde Sky
Apr 29, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is an introduction to the life and work of the artist Picasso.

This short book didn’t really give me an insight into Picasso’s motivation / driving force or why his work was so widely acclaimed. I found only a couple of the pieces illustrated (such as - The Reservoir, Horta de Ebro, Portrait of AmbroiseVollard and Bathers with a Toy Boat) grabbed my attention. Some of the most interesting comments were Picasso’s quotes which at least give an idea of his inner thoughts.

I found the chang
Sadia
Aug 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, favorites
I guess words alone can't describe the genuis Picasso is!

I came across Picasso's extraordinary and crazy inventive work when I first entered High school. That is what brought on my love affair with Art, truly. I love abstract art, more so than any other because it's more perceptive and personal to me.

Looking at Picasso's work is no less than a treat for a crazy fan like me. I love most of his works and I can only hope to create something half as genius as this man. He's legendary!
Kylee
Sep 12, 2014 rated it liked it
A well written book. Focus is much more on the works of Picasso; touching lightly on the influences of his life that inspired them. It is an interesting read for those looking to explore Picasso's technique and catalog, but if you are looking for something providing a prospective into the intimate details of his life you may want to look elsewhere.
Helena
Ihan sanasta sanaan en tätä lukenut, vaan tutkin lähinnä Picasson elämänkerrallisia vaiheita ja sitä, kuinka kulloisetkin elämäntilanteet näkyvät hänen töissään. Varsin yleissivistävä pläjäys tämä olikin. Syntyi jopa kimmoke siihen suuntaan, että tekisi mieli selailla muidenkin taiteilijoiden töitä esitteleviä kirjoja samalla tekniikalla!
Valentina
Apr 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Before reading this book Picasso was for me some guy painting women with really ugly noses...now he is my absolute favourite!

It will tell you about his life, personal and professional, and also will explain you a number of his paintings and sculptures.
James
Jan 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Interesting in its coverage of the artist's work and his life and times, but it glosses over the facts of his narcissism and the attendant emotional brutality he sometimes inflicted on others, particularly the women in his life.
Jamie Bigham
Jun 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: art
From Frank Cooper Nov 5 2002
Setadipa
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
what a life... mau jg repro nya
Cristina
  • Jackson Pollock: 1912-1956
  • Monet
  • Caravaggio, 1571-1610
  • Wassily Kandinsky: 1866-1944 a Revolution in Painting
  • Cézanne (Taschen Basic Art)
  • Andy Warhol, 1928-1987: Commerce Into Art
  • Rene Magritte, 1898-1967: Thought Rendered Visible
  • Vermeer, 1632-1675: Veiled Emotions
  • Sandro Botticelli 1444/45 - 1510
Ingo F. Walther was born in Berlin in 1940 and studied medieval studies, literature, and art history in Frankfurt am Main and Munich. He has published numerous books on the art of the Middle Ages and of the 19th and 20th centuries.
More about Ingo F. Walther

$10.74 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Out of Africa and Shadows on the Grass
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Kingdom by the Sea: A Journey Around the Coast of Great Britain
  • The War That Ended Peace: The Road to 1914
    $6.99 $2.99
  • No Limits: Blow the CAP Off Your Capacity
    $9.99 $2.99
“When children paint, they express their ideas rather than their perception, and when Picasso had recourse to such a technique, then that was his personal response to his approaching death.” 4 likes
“I'm no pessimist. I don't loathe art because I couldn't live without devoting all my time to it. I love it as the only end of my life. Everything I do connected with it gives me intense pleasure. But still, I don't see why the whole world should be taken up with art, demand its credentials, and on that subject give free rein to its own stupidity. Museums are just a lot of lies, and the people who make art their business are mostly imposters.' -Picasso” 3 likes