Start by marking “Second Nature” as Want to Read:
Second Nature

Second Nature

(Celebrity Magazine #1)

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts comes a classic story about love and adventure in the wilderness…

For celebrity magazine reporter Lee Radcliffe getting an interview with the reclusive horror writer Hunter Brown has become a personal quest. Digging into private lives is her business, but now Hunter has turned the tables. He will only give the intervi
Published January 14th 2019 by Silhouette Special Releases (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Second Nature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Nature

Cyndi
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this book is great I didn't like either of the main characters a whole lot. He is controlling and lies to her a lot. She keeps forgiving him. Once again if I was the main character in a novel I'd never get to the happy ending she gets to. But, I'd get ice cream. 😊🍦
Bithi
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book shows so clearly the pleasures and hardships of writing and writers.
Mojca
I loved Ms. Roberts’ "newer" Sign of Seven trilogy, but this one left me rather cold. It’s fascinating how much Ms. Roberts’ style changed in the past two decades.

This book was just like its hero. Frustrating.
I didn’t know what to think about the hero – he was alternating between being a jerk, tenderness, creepiness, anger etc. I never read about a more mercurial personality.
The heroine mostly got on my nerves, because she thought one thing and did the other. Her actions around the hero are perf
Thenia
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the older Nora Roberts romances, but still her distinct vivid characters and writing style.

This one is about Hunter, a reclusive horror writer and Lee, the reporter determined to get an exclusive interview. The two have a "meet cute", where Lee doesn't realize who she is and mistakes him for her driver, and Hunter, intrigued by her, doesn't disabuse her of the notion but goes along with her, studying her all the while.

The two meet again, and intrigue each other even more, but when Lee dis
Melodie
Oct 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I love Nora Roberts. She is one of my go -to authors for romance and chick-lit. I have been discovering her earlier work, as until recently I was just familiar with her trilogies.
Second Nature revolves around a reclusive horror author and the reporter determined to get him to talk. They are both serious contenders in the game of cat and mouse. Eventually, romance becomes the new name of the game.
Neither of the protagonists are particularly likable, to me at least. But Roberts is skilled at he
Carolyn
Nov 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: roberts-nora
Older Nora Roberts book. I really did not like either of the lead characters. It was more like a verbal battle with each of them trying to figure the other one out, with sex thrown in. My least favorite Nora Roberts' book to date.
Marly
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eh

Like all of Roberts’ books, she really captures the essence of a person and makes the romance seem alive. This book seemed like it was rushed and unrealistic in some parts though where the characters could’ve used more time to develop.
Chloe Hughes
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The lead protagonists Hunter and Lee are intriguing, complex and the story I didn’t know where it was going. At first I was reading from Lee going to Flagstaff to the writer’s retreat to to interview the enigmatic horror writer Hunter Brown as she interviews him, he turns the tables.
Angela Austin
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read as always from this author. Nice light reading with some twists and turns.
Judy Churchill
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting insights into writers and their motivations. Nice interactions between characters. First published in 1985.
Cruth
Author: Nora Roberts
First published: 1985
Length: 2628 locations
Setting: Contemporary. LA and Sedona.
Sex: Reasonably explicit. Infrequent.
Hero: Writer.
Heroine: Reporter for gossip-y magazine.

A shorter, earlier Nora Roberts which was pretty much what I was looking for, but not what I expected.

Strong, independent heroine who is still a strong, independent heroine at the end of the book.

Stoic, dark hero with a gentle heart who knows who he is before the book starts, and finds a way to accept, respec
Laurel-Rain
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lee Radcliffe has found her niche, or so she believes, as a journalist for Celebrity magazine. Her life in LA suits her, and all she really needs at this moment to boost her career is an interview with the elusive horror novelist Hunter Brown.

When she discovers that he will be speaking at a writer's conference in Flagstaff, she signs on.

From the very first moment she lands in Flagstaff, everything is slightly askew. Nothing is quite the way it seems, and over the next two days, she discovers for
Sofie
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Ik was meteen mee in het verhaal. Ja, dat verwacht ik met een boek dat ik begin te lezen en geen moeite moet doen om door te gaan. Dit boek zorgde ervoor. Ik las hem heel vlot uit en was continue benieuwd en geïntrigeerd door het verhaal. Vooral de antagonist was heel erg boeiend. Het samenspel tussen de protagonist en de antagonist kan mij boeien.

Ik heb al veel boeken van Nora Roberts gelezen en deze zit bij mij redelijk hoog. Ik kon zonder veel moeite in het verhaal zitten en de gevoelens over
Aurelia Rowl
I loved this story! This one just clicked with me, though I accept that the main characters being a novelist and reluctant aspiring novelist could have something to do with it. As fictional book boyfriends go though, Hunter certainly works for me.
Ashley Christensen
Another book about a writer by Roberts. This time, supernatural is the name of the writing game, and an extremely reclusive author with a secret to hide is the subject. And, the love interest is a reporter for a gossip mag.

In a shocking turn of events, I don’t think I’ve ever read this one before, but, because I’ve read a book of hers recently that is about a writer, and a book about two reporters, it seemed very similar to the same old thing. That’s another problem with a lot of her early books
Michele
Nov 15, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Nerding Out With Nicky
This was a cute, enjoyable story - short and sweet. Even though it was originally published in 1985, it didn't feel dated, other than the guy smoking indoors. :) I felt everything was still relevant and believable.

I enjoyed the characters, and I especially enjoyed their banter. The scenery within the story was also done well. I could almost see the canyons and the sunrise. Could almost feel the rain pounding against the tent.

On one hand, it was a nice slow burn, getting a good way into the book
Kathy
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, sexy
Tammy
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Written in 1986 so it is pretty dated, Marlboro man (smoker) which you almost never hear of in books now. The old man is smarter than woman theme and she is cowed and quits her job in the end and comes to him. The character of the woman is played as not very bright, it is just the tone of it.
Nora's books of today have so much more strength as a writer, realism of characters and lol times it is hard to go back to this type of writing.
Read something more recent, unless you enjoy the old way things
Mary L Johnson
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been a Nora Roberts fan for years. This book, while enjoyable was not quite up to some I have read, meaning I didn't want a sequel or what. It ended and I enjoyed it, but wasn't curious enough about the characters to want to see haw they got along after wards.

It was entertaining, but not as gripping as I expected from Me Roberts. I have been a fan for many years and this was more a love story that was predictable, not interesting enough to care about them . Some of her other book.are. Sti
KateNZ
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this - the characters had some depth and their motivations were interesting. There was a solid storyline that didn’t require me to suspend disbelief too much, and I didn’t mind that it was predictable.

Lee’s inner voice was a bit whiny but at least she was composed and determined on the outside (I can relate!). Hunter’s tendency to be controlling was not his most attractive quality - but then he was shown off-balance too. Bonnie and Sarah are lovely characters.

A nice light read that w
Pamela DeMine
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nora Roberts has a great understAnd g of every human emotion. she writes do well, you can smell what is around you and hear every little dog d. no wonder her books are such big hits. love is hard, but worth every sacrifice of you approach it with heart and soul.

Kismet. I never really believed in it, because when it happened for me, it fizzled out. but for😑Lenore and Hunter, it was eberything.
Jeni
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice storytelling in this romance novel with a bit of a twist that keeps it interesting. It’s an easy and fast read about a magazine reporter (Lee Radcliffe), who tracks down a world-famous, notoriously private, horror-story writer (Hunter Brown) for an interview. She ‘ambushes’ him at a small writer's conference in Flagstaff, Arizona. He turns the tables on her and they end up intimately involved. I wasn’t sure where this was going at first, so it was quite enjoyable.
Pat K
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When I started this book, for some reason, I thought Nora Roberts wrote mysteries. But this book is definitely a romance. Readers of romance may rate this highly, but I’ve never read a book before that was nothing but romance from beginning to end. I skimmed through page after page of tingling skin and pulsing blood and long lingering kisses and a cliched arrogant man and a petite woman.
Alexandra Robertson
Not a ton to say about this one. It was pretty typical. Hunter is a Steven King type writer and constantly described as 'dangerous' or 'serious'. Lee is stubborn and catty most of the time but still ends up described about 8000 times as 'fragile' or 'uncertain'. Overall this book was sweet but boring.
Ashlee Marie
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tower-teams-v
Play hard to get or give in and follow your heart? Overall, I enjoyed this book, but I do feel that too much of the plot of given to this tug of war love story. In the end, I was glad that Lee and Hunter too a chance on their love and began a life together. I would have liked to have known more about what happened once this new chapter in their lives began.
shirley boone
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nora's Nature

As with all of Nora Roberts ' novels I have read, this one is fantastic. Her works push and pull at the reader until emotions are going around and around, in and out, and through. When getting to the end, it is there so quickly that the reader is amazed. She always seems to leave something for the reader to imagine, though. Beautiful!!
Brenda
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not the Nora Roberts I am used to ,one of her older books,However still just as good!!! Lee is a workaholic striving for the unattainable,an interview with Hunter Brown .He is an award winning author who values his privacy. Meeting at a seminar.Agreeing to his terms Lee (a very pampered woman) must spend 2 weeks with him camping to get the interview
Catherine Larkin
Old and it shows

Cigarettes and a man who is more predator than is acceptable today. Interesting because it shows how NR got to where she is today. Not a keeper for me and very overpriced given its age.
Debra Henderson
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved It

Enjoyed this book immensely. I loved how Hunter was such a devoted father to his daughter. Lee was a contradiction in that she was highly motivated career wise and successful but she didn't seem to have much self confidence.
Romance Book Club: Second Nature - Contemporary relevancy? 1 2 Apr 20, 2019 02:04PM

• On the First Night of Christmas
  • The Lady Gambles (Copeland Sisters, #1)
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Pleasure Exchange (Pleasure Games, #3)
  • Bronze Mystique
  • The Man Every Woman Wants
  • Istri Simpanan
  • Never Tease A Wolf
  • Dark Summer Dawn
  • All Over You (Secret Lives of Daytime Divas, #2)
  • Girl Behind the Scandalous Reputation
  • The Savakis Mistress
  • Bargaining for Baby
  • Lancaster Brides (Brides of Lancaster County, #1-4)
  • Pernikahan Impian (Marriage Wanted)
  • The Return of the Prodigal (Romney Marsh #6)
  • Chain Lightning
  • The Prince She Never Forgot

Celebrity Magazine (2 books)
  • One Summer (Celebrity Magazine, #2)
“If we can't be entertained, there're only two places to go. Back to the cave, or on to oblivion.” 1 likes
“I have an image of a woman with a romantic kind of beauty and an orderly, logical mind.” “Hunter—” “Wait, I’m just fleshing her out. She’s ambitious, full of nerves, highly sensuous without being fully aware of it.” He could see her eyes change, growing as dark as the sky above them. “She’s caught in the middle of something she can’t explain or understand. Things happen around her and she’s finding it more and more difficult to distance herself from it. And there’s a man, a man she desires but can’t quite trust. He doesn’t offer her the logical explanations she wants, but the illogic he offers seems terrifyingly close to the truth. If she puts her trust in him, she has to turn her back on most of what she believes is fact. If she doesn’t, she’ll be alone.” 0 likes