Start by marking “Ways of Hearing” as Want to Read:
Ways of Hearing

Ways of Hearing

A writer-musician examines how the switch from analog to digital audio is changing our perceptions of time, space, love, money, and power.

Our voices carry farther than ever before, thanks to digital media. But how are they being heard? In this book, Damon Krukowski examines how the switch from analog to digital audio is changing our perceptions of time, space, love, money,
Published April 9th 2019 by Mit Press

To ask other readers questions about Ways of Hearing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ways of Hearing

Kevin
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting, fun, and thoughtful look at sound, both ambient and musical.
Sue
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a cool book -- a speedy diversion into what it is to hear and to listen in the digital world. It's nostalgic, yes... but also inventive.

This book is the script to a podcast -- which I'm currently listening to. I'm one to tolerate repetition, and enjoy thinking on what each medium -- print and audio -- bring to this story; and how I experience the story through each medium a little differently.

Reading -- or the solo experience of turning down the exterior world to internalize a story -- r
Andrew
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is actually (at least in part) a transcipted version of a podcast. Much of its content is a comparison between digital and analog methods of recording, and the characteristic distinctions between the two. Many music lovers notice something missing in digital sound; Krukowski digs into the specifics of what that/those something(s) is/are. For example, noise (as in "signal-to-noise" rather than loud clangor), room ambience, the spaces between things.

Really fascinating stuff; recommended
Steev Hise
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, politics, own-it
This is a really great book. As soon as I saw it I knew I had to get it and read it ASAP. But YMMV. I'm a sound/noise/music/art guy, so am definitely biased.

Anyway, it's about way more than sound and music. It's about what the internet and the digital world we're in now has done to us and our culture and our society.

The design of the book reminds me of McLuhan's The Medium is the Massage. The title is a nod to John Berger, and the book does a good job of aspiring to, but isn't quite get up to th
Michael Chojnacki
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A (blog turned into a) book that explores what happens when we move from an analogue to a digital music world. The author considers the technical, economical, sentimental aspects of that shift concluding that : removing 'noise' from 'signal' changes the nature of sound leaving behind lot behind we find near and dear. I have read this book while listening to the podcast, going back and forth. A few very valid points made by a the author/musical.
Vuk Trifkovic
May 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Nice book - both graphically and in content. Lot of the stuff is interesting but bit artificial. Would totally read a 300-450 page expanded version.
dimwig
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: music
Scott Schneider
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'm not sure it was a good idea to translate a podcast about sound into print. It probably works much better in audio form. Maybe I should get the audiobook version of this podcast book.
Brent Sower
Paul
Apr 11, 2019
Stefan
May 13, 2019
Damon Krukowski is a writer and musician. Author of The New Analog: Listening and Reconnecting in a Digital World, he has taught writing and sound (and writing about sound) at Harvard University. He was in the indie rock band Galaxie 500 and is currently one half of the folk-rock duo Damon & Naomi. He lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts.