Start by marking “Ways of Hearing” as Want to Read:
Ways of Hearing

Ways of Hearing

A writer-musician examines how the switch from analog to digital audio is changing our perceptions of time, space, love, money, and power.

Our voices carry farther than ever before, thanks to digital media. But how are they being heard? In this book, Damon Krukowski examines how the switch from analog to digital audio is changing our perceptions of time, space, love, money,
Published April 9th 2019 by Mit Press

To ask other readers questions about Ways of Hearing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ways of Hearing

Kevin
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting, fun, and thoughtful look at sound, both ambient and musical.
Rob Smith
Jul 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: music
I think it's kind of ironic for a book obsessed with the downsides of sleek digital music production, it's actually just the transcript from a sleek, digital NPR podcast.

That's all it literally is, and it's pretty okay. I should have figured given the marketing and publishing parallels to John Berger's Ways of Seeing that this would also have been something like a podcast. But unlike Berger's book, this one's a straight up transcript of the podcast episodes, complete with listing the music cues
Sue
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a cool book -- a speedy diversion into what it is to hear and to listen in the digital world. It's nostalgic, yes... but also inventive.

This book is the script to a podcast -- which I'm currently listening to. I'm one to tolerate repetition, and enjoy thinking on what each medium -- print and audio -- bring to this story; and how I experience the story through each medium a little differently.

Reading -- or the solo experience of turning down the exterior world to internalize a story -- r
Patrick
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
As other reviewers have noted, aside from the addition of an introduction by Emily Thompson, and pictures, this is essentially just a transcript of Krukowski's podcast. It's not uninteresting, but, if you've thought at all about sound or music in the past 30 years, it's nothing new, and it only touches the surface of the issues raised.

I do have a couple of beefs with Krukowski's discussion of copyright and artist's rights generally. In Episode 4, "Money", pp. 78-79 Krukowski appears to claim tha
John
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an engaging and delightful book about how we experience the world. The key examples in this book, which is essentially a transcription of the author's podcast, Ways of Hearing, come from music and sounds. [Full disclosure: I went to grad school with Damon and was at the first show his band Galaxie 500 played in a bar.]

The chapters are on Time, Space, Love, Money, Power, and Signal & Noise. Damon helps us understand how music means something different when recorded and played via anal
Herb
Jul 23, 2019 added it
Shelves: req, 2019, libr, male
A very good book that’s really a better podcast.

Damon Krukowski is very smart about how digital and analog audio are different NOT just as applies to contemporary recording of music, but also in how modern listeners interact with what they hear in non-musical contexts. The podcast, as an audible object, uses many techniques and opportunities for the listener to hear the points that Krukowski and his guests are making.

In book form, all the spoken text is there, with one or two additions (primar
Andrew
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is actually (at least in part) a transcipted version of a podcast. Much of its content is a comparison between digital and analog methods of recording, and the characteristic distinctions between the two. Many music lovers notice something missing in digital sound; Krukowski digs into the specifics of what that/those something(s) is/are. For example, noise (as in "signal-to-noise" rather than loud clangor), room ambience, the spaces between things.

Really fascinating stuff; recommended
Steev Hise
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, politics, own-it
This is a really great book. As soon as I saw it I knew I had to get it and read it ASAP. But YMMV. I'm a sound/noise/music/art guy, so am definitely biased.

Anyway, it's about way more than sound and music. It's about what the internet and the digital world we're in now has done to us and our culture and our society.

The design of the book reminds me of McLuhan's The Medium is the Massage. The title is a nod to John Berger, and the book does a good job of aspiring to, but isn't quite get up to th
Michael Chojnacki
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A (blog turned into a) book that explores what happens when we move from an analogue to a digital music world. The author considers the technical, economical, sentimental aspects of that shift concluding that : removing 'noise' from 'signal' changes the nature of sound leaving behind lot behind we find near and dear. I have read this book while listening to the podcast, going back and forth. A few very valid points made by a the author/musical.
Claudia Skelton
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it
This book focuses on how digital culture has changed the making and listening to our music. The author is a musician, author, and professor. Based on a podcast, this book summarizes how the shift from analog to digital audio has changed our perceptions of time, space, noise, and more. It also is about an aspect of how the digital world has changed our culture and society. (I may consider listening to the podcast.)
Davide
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, music, sound
It is hard to convert a podcast into a book. Still, I believe the author and the graphic designer did an amazing job in this case. They converted the audio interludes into illustrations, plus they were also able to convey some sound effects by clever use of typography and fonts. The result is a book that is very easy to read as well as very beautiful to look at.
Sammy Williams
Jun 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
I think I would have better enjoyed the podcast. Although he brought up interesting points, I don't feel like they were explored deeply enough. Sections about cell phones and digital elimination of noise were the most informative.
Vuk Trifkovic
May 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Nice book - both graphically and in content. Lot of the stuff is interesting but bit artificial. Would totally read a 300-450 page expanded version.
dimwig
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: music
Scott Schneider
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'm not sure it was a good idea to translate a podcast about sound into print. It probably works much better in audio form. Maybe I should get the audiobook version of this podcast book.
Brent Sower
Justine
Aug 12, 2019
Tosh
Apr 25, 2019
Damon Krukowski is a writer and musician. Author of The New Analog: Listening and Reconnecting in a Digital World, he has taught writing and sound (and writing about sound) at Harvard University. He was in the indie rock band Galaxie 500 and is currently one half of the folk-rock duo Damon & Naomi. He lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts.