Start by marking “King Henry VI, Part 3” as Want to Read:

Read Book* *Different edition

King Henry VI, Part 3

(Wars of the Roses #7)

Paperback, Arden Shakespeare: Third Series, 460 pages
Published November 1st 2001 by Bloomsbury Arden Shakespeare (first published 1591)

To ask other readers questions about King Henry VI, Part 3, please sign up.
Peter Castine Hard to really judge, because there is so much about Richard historians disagree upon. Perhaps worth keeping in mind that Shakespeare's histories are …moreHard to really judge, because there is so much about Richard historians disagree upon. Perhaps worth keeping in mind that Shakespeare's histories are really "docudramas" (even if the word hadn't been invented in Elizabethan English). And Shakespeare's histories were arguably written with a certain amount of "agenda." So the short answer is that historical accuracy was almost always trumped by either dramatic impact or what the governing leadership of the day wanted people to believe.

In any case, I understand there is now a fairly broad consensus that Richard was not as physically "misshapen" as Shakespeare (and many other 16th to 19th century writers) claimed. The claims of guile and deceitfulness are also questionable (but harder to ascertain one way or the other). And, yes, Richard *appears* to have remained loyal to Edward to the end… but that's what a deceitful charmer would want you to believe, isn't it? About the only thing there seems to be much agreement on is that Richard was an able strategist and warrior on the field.

So take Shakespeare's depiction with a few grains of salt. If you want a really full answer and are willing to wade through the differing views, you could start with the Wikipedia article and follow up with some of the references cited. You possibly only wanted a short answer, in which case two sentences from my first paragraph may be all you need. Apologies for going on so long.(less)

Start your review of King Henry VI, Part 3
Ahmad Sharabiani
King Henry VI, Part 3 (Wars of the Roses #7), William Shakespeare

Henry VI, Part 3, is a history play by William Shakespeare, believed to have been written in 1591, and set during the lifetime of King Henry VI of England.

The play begins where part 2 Henry VI left off, with the victorious Yorkists (York, Edward, Richard, Warwick, Montague and Norfolk) pursuing Henry and Margaret from the battlefield in the wake of the First Battle of St Albans (1455). Upon reaching the parliamentary chambers in L
Barry Pierce
This one doesn't really have a plot, it's more a series of stabbings.
Bill Kerwin
Jun 30, 2009 rated it really liked it

A thoroughly accomplished piece of playcraft and a significant work of literature, this complex account of civil war is filled with broken oaths, betrayals, and labyrinthine patterns of multi-generational revenge, and Shakespeare gives us a coherent thread of narrative to guide us through the bewildering crowd of incidents.

Also, by the middle of the play, Shakespeare's first great character--Richard of Gloucester (later Richard III)--has fully emerged, giving us a clear promise of the great wor
João Fernandes
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shakespeare, drama, war
Henry: Get off, that's my chair!
York: No, it's my chair
Henry: Okay, you can have it after I'm done playing with it.
Margaret: How dare you give away my... I mean our son's... I mean your throne!?
Henry: I'm just trying to avoid giving more suffering to our people!
Margaret: Wait, peasants have feelings? Uh, the more you know...
_____
Clifford: Your dad killed my dad, so I'm gonna kill you.
Rutland: Mate, I'm just trying to learn some Latin to read that saucy book from The Name of the Rose.
Clifford: Sh
Leonard Gaya
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The final episode of the Henry VI ten-thousand-verses-long saga (which follows Henry V and precedes Richard III and is, therefore, a big saga within a still bigger saga!) covers the actual War of the Roses. What came before it was, for the most part, flamboyant bickering, jocular scheming and plotting and ornate backstabbing within the King’s family circle. Now, this is the genuine “winter of our discontent”: open civil war (battles of Wakefield, Towton, Barnet and Tewkesbury), barbaric child-sl ...more
Michael Finocchiaro
A very lively end to the Henry VI trilogy, this one sees the fortunes of Henry VI and his heir Edward IV wane as the evil star of Richard III prepares his entry in the last episode!

The high point is probably the great soliloquy of Richard III as he begins his bloody ascent.
Why, I can smile, and murder whiles I smile,
And cry "Content" to that which grieves my heart,
And wet my cheeks with artificial tears,
And frame my face to all occasions.

Henry VI Part 3, Act 3, scene ii

This speech will be rephr
E. G.

Commentary
Jason Koivu
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: play
This is that Empire Strikes Back time in the history plays where Henry is defeated and reeling. Ah, but he shall Return!
Jim
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third of Shakespeare's earliest plays, about the Wars of the Roses, concludes with the end of King Henry VI's reign and the rise of the York faction to the throne. Although the powerhouse of this historical collection of historical plays, Richard III, is yet to come (next), the third part of King Henry VI is the most exciting and dramatic of the three Henry plays, with power moving back and forth between Yorkists and Lancastrians almost by the scene. Shakespeare's skill as a writer and poet ...more
David Sarkies
Aug 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: History buffs
Recommended to David by: University
Shelves: historical
England in Flames
30 August 2012

As I read through this play I began to realise how closely connected it is to Richard III, which is not surprising since this play was written shortly after Henry VI. In many way, much of the action in Richard III, as well as a number of the characters, stem from this play. I remember watching the Ian McKellan version of Richard III and seeing this woman, Margaret, making an appearance and wondering about her connection to the play. After reading this play (as wel
Bradley
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm very happy with this play. It's easily up to the standards we're used to in Shakespeare, proper, lifting us out of his early and unsure works into something very entertaining. Some people might disagree, but here's the fact: history was this fucked up.

Some liberties are made to make the play much more streamlined and dramatic, of course, but that's only to be expected when we're putting 30 years into the space of 3 plays. By this point in the action, though, we're steeped in nothing but acti
Darwin8u
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shakespeare, 2017, drama
"The smallest worm will turn, being trodden on."
― William Shakespeare, Henry VI, Part 3

description

In the Henry VI trilogy, this is probably my least favorite. It wasn't bad and had some good lines (not enough great ones) and exciting sequences, but it just didn't have that extra-level, that super-float that Shakespeare sometimes gives his plays. This one just seemed a bit "bound" by this history. It was overshadowed by the other Henry VI plays, other Henry plays, other history plays, other Shakespeare pla
Trish
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The play begins with Henry VI and his queen being chased away by the victorious Yorkists after the first Battle of St. Albans.
Shakespeare makes a point of (accurately) displaying the original agreement between Henry VI and the Duke of York that Henry can remain king until his death, upon which the House of York (Richard, his son Edward and all his heirs) will reign permanently.
Margaret of Anjou, naturally, does NOT agree since she has given birth to a son and declares war on the Yorkists.

Serio
B. P. Rinehart
"Duke of York:
The army of the queen hath got the field.
My uncles both are slain in rescuing me;
And all my followers to the eager foe
Turn back and fly like ships before the wind,
Or lambs pursu'd by hunger-starved wolves.
My sons—God knows what hath bechanced them;
But this I know,—they have demean'd themselves
Like men born to renown by life or death.
Three times did Richard make a lane to me,
And thrice cried 'Courage, father! fight it out!'
And full as oft came Edward to my side
With purp
Rachel
War of the Roses tetralogy >>>> Henriad and no I am not taking constructive criticism at this time. ...more
Melora
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shakespeare
Update. First read this June 23, 2016. Reread Feb. 2, 2017, and it's only gotten better.
_________________________

Okey doke! Now this is more like it! In Part 3 we get rousing action and great characters! Plus, more dramatic death scenes (I count six, where the person dying gets an exit speech, though there might be more) than you would imagine it was possible to cram into a three hour play.

Spoilers ahead.

Queen Margaret and Gloucester (Richard III) come in neck-and-neck for the title of Most Fi
Katie Dimtses
Flashes of the Richard we will soon see become the villainous machiavel we all know and love is this play’s only saving grace. Honourable mention for few of Henry VI’s sad boy speeches, but they lack Richard II’s poetic heights.

2 back-stabbing betrayals out of 5.
leynes
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ugh. This was so boring in comparison to part one, I was actually disappointed. Nonetheless, I have to admit that the Bard's histories are starting to grow on me ... I find it fascinating that the Wars of the Roses can actually be read as one huge saga. It's so much fun to rediscover characters that we already know and see all of the dramas that they get themselves into.
My Crown is in my heart, not on my head:
Not deck'd with Diamonds, and Indian stones:
Nor to be seen: my Crown is call'd Cont
Clara Biesel
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Pretty striking anti-war literature, and I had forgotten how strong the writing is in this play. The paper crown, Richard gets his two big monologues, the wooing of Lady Grey, so many people changing sides, and hating each other so vehemently. It's forceful stuff.
Sean Morrow
Aug 01, 2019 rated it liked it
All English noblemen are apparently either named Henry, Richard, Edward, or George, which makes tracking the characters in these plays slightly confusing.
Terence
What follows are the collective observations of the entire trilogy:

1 Henry VI -- 2.5 to 3 stars
2 Henry VI -- 3+ stars
3 Henry VI -- 4 stars

I don't have much to say about part 1 of Shakespeare's Henry VI. It's not a bad play; it's just not the Bard at his best. It has its moments but the impression I carry away from it is that Shakespeare either didn't care all that much about the project or he never found the time to polish it. (Interestingly, it was written several years after parts 2 and 3.)

Par
Livy
Jun 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My favorite so far in this tetralogy. I found the vigorous seesaw of victories and defeats very compelling, as Henry dwindles to a mild nonentity, Richard of Gloucester hacks his way out of a metaphorical wood and into the spotlight, and many children are butchered along the way. I didn't expect to be so disturbed by the murdered children - in King John I found poor Arthur's death unexpectedly hilarious! - but both scenes, Rutland slaughtered in front of his pleading tudor and Edward tag-team-st ...more
Jim
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays, shakespeare
The concluding part of William Shakespeare's Wars of the Roses trilogy ends with Edward IV firmly in charge and with about half the cast of the play dead -- but with Richard Crookback in the wings waiting to make his own grab at the crown, which he will do in Richard III.

Henry VI, Part 3 is full of of "alarums and excursions" as the partisans of York and Lancaster find it out to the bitter end. The play is Shakespeare's lesson as to what happens to the kingdom when the king is weak. And Henry VI
Lucinda Elliot
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this a gripping tale. As with Part I, there are several battle scenes and much treachery. As with Part II there is an intriguing love story. All is told with the usual economy of style and richness of imagery.
As with so many of Shakespeare's plays, there have been difficulties and disputes over how best to retrieve a definitive version from various faulty manuscripts. The end result is so impressive, that as ever with Shakespeare, I sigh to think of how brilliant the lost version must h
asli
trying to read all of Shakespeare’s plays during covid, 3/36

4/5 stars!

The best one yet, without a doubt. I did not expect King Henry the Sixth, PART THREE (!!) to be explosive but my my, was I wrong! This was great! It was funny, interesting and had me on the edge of my seat. I was so deeply involved that I read it all in one sitting, despite struggling whilst reading the first two parts.

I loved Richard the Third’s slow ascendance to villainy and in general the cast of characters were all f
Kerri
May 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
Of the three parts, this one feels the most complete, most able to stand on its own, though I would have been completely lost without reading the first two prior. I got even more confused with the dukes and earls as they changed people!

A lot of switching sides. It seems everyone hops back and forth between Kings Willy-Nilly, that did not help me keeping track of the characters. I basically just hate everyone who is still alive at this point, and many of the dead as well.
Angelique Simonsen
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
I liked the conclusion to the Henry Vi series. Conspiracies, changing alliances, war and lots of stabbings. Great entertainment
Traci at The Stacks
The first 1/2 of this play is so good and face paced but it fades a little toward act 4. Its full of drama and switching sides and Richard III gets he footing in this play which is fun to watch.
Ben
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full well hath Clifford play'd the orator,
Inferring arguments of mighty force.
But, Clifford, tell me, didst though never hear
That things ill got had ever bad success?
And happy always was it for that son
Whose father for his hoarding went to hell?
I'll leave my son my virtuous deeds behind;
And would my father had left me no more!
For all the rest is held at such a rate
As brings a thousand-fold more care to keep
Than in possession any jot of pleasure.

With these words, Henry defies those who accuse him
Trevor
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literature
The last of the Henry VI plays in the very long sequence of histories around the war of the roses. It is surprising how few of these eight plays actually are about the king they are named after. I mean, neither of the Henry IV plays are really about him, the play with him as a major character is really Richard II. This play is about chaos more than anything else – nothing is stable, it is hard to know who is on which side. The expression, damned if you do and damned if you don’t came to mind rep ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Sir Thomas More
  • This Is Shakespeare
  • Arden of Faversham
  • Edward II
  • The Old Testament: King James Version
  • Shakespeare in a Divided America: What His Plays Tell Us about Our Past and Future
  • Double Falsehood
  • Sorrow Patch: A tale of triumph against adversity
  • Escape from Scepticism: Liberal Education as If Truth Mattered
  • Army of Darkness: Ash Saves Obama
  • The Woeful Second World War
William Shakespeare (baptised 26 April 1564) was an English poet and playwright, widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language and the world's pre-eminent dramatist. He is often called England's national poet and the "Bard of Avon" (or simply "The Bard"). His surviving works consist of 38 plays, 154 sonnets, two long narrative poems, and several other poems. His plays have been tr ...more

Wars of the Roses (8 books)
  • Richard II