Start by marking “What Happens Next: A History of American Screenwriting” as Want to Read:
What Happens Next: A History of American Screenwriting

What Happens Next: A History of American Screenwriting

Screenwriters have always been viewed as Hollywood’s stepchildren. Silent-film comedy pioneer Mack Sennett forbade his screenwriters from writing anything down, for fear they’d get inflated ideas about themselves as creative artists. The great midcentury director John Ford was known to answer studio executives’ complaints that he was behind schedule by tearing a handful of ...more
Published October 23rd 2007 by Harmony

Henry Sheppard
This is a large, dense, fascinating history of the rise and fall of screenwriters, individually and collectively, across the history of the movies. I enjoyed and recommend it, but I have to caution that it is not 'The Moon's a Balloon,' or anything like that.
Greig
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Greet history of screen writing especially during the Hollywood years.the account of the attempts to set up a guild in the 1930's is fascinating. I think the account of HUAC and the blacklist is perhaps the best I've read. A very clear account. I found the chapters on the auteur theory and writer directors in the 70's and 80's less than compelling.
Paul
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A history of screenwriting done with real panache. Not as systematic as a scholar might approach it (see works by Kristin Thompson for that kind of thing), but this is a very thorough, fun read.
Luke Devenish
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was so entertaining. And totally fascinating. Finally a book about Old and New Hollywood told from the POV of those who are always somehow left out of the picture: the writers. Or should I say, THE LONG SUFFERING writers, because, man, did they do a lot of suffering. They also got paid a lot, too, so I won't shed too many tears, but perhaps the most illuminating aspect of a book that provides so many illuminations is the section explaining the origins of the schism between writers and produ ...more
Adrian
Nov 09, 2010 added it
A chatty, breezy history of Hollywood through the medium of screenwriting. But this description is not to belittle it, Norman is thorough and enlightening and covers all the major shifts in moviemaking- the advent of sound films over silent, the studio system, the unionization of screenwriters, the McCarthy blacklist and auteur era. He's liberal in his use of juicy anecdote. There are also excellent portraits of wannabe screenwriters like F. Scott Fitzgerald, Nathaniel West and William Faulkner ...more
Duncan
Jun 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I told I read a lot of filmmaking books. Ok, writing. But, of course, what makes this book great is the gossip, none of which I can remember right now.

Lots of research went into this book, and it gives a great history of the rise, fall and rise of unions in Hollywood. Best quote: "I was too fucking busy, and vise versa," Dorothy Parker.

A really entertaining read of which I can remember very little. I read it in winter; perhaps that's why.
Ben
Jun 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Norman's history of Hollywood from the POV of the Screenwriter provides one of the most cogent takes on the film industry. It is through the changing use of story (and storytellers) that cinema has evolved. The book plays out generally chronologically, with major sections devoted to major events and major writers, particularly those who best encapsulated a particular era or were a force unto themselves (Ben Hecht, Paddy Chayefsky).
Steven
Jun 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Really cool history of the film industry from the perspective of the writer from the silent era, through talkies, the blacklist, Easy Rider days, 80's blockbusters and post modern Tarantino. The early writers were interesting characters themselves. Cool insights into the writing of Star Wars and a breakdown of Pulp Fiction.
Karen Krizanovich
Sep 25, 2008 rated it it was ok
A bit overwritten so far but hey...
Mike Horne
Oct 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Nice little history of Hollywood from the perspective of screenwriters. Read it for my Film Studies class. Good reading!
Brynn
May 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008
Fascinating history. The writers so often get shorted in favor of the stars, directors and even producers. It was great to finally read a book about the industry that puts the story tellers first.
Nancy Loe
Oct 25, 2007 marked it as to-read
"Of all the Christ-bitten places and businesses in the two hemispheres, [Hollywood] is the last curly kink on the pig's tail." - Stephen Vincent Benet

This book sounds great!
Sidney
Dec 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating book for anyone with a serious interest in the history of the film industry
Phil Thompson