Start by marking “Best Self: Be You, Only Better” as Want to Read:
Best Self: Be You, Only Better

Best Self: Be You, Only Better

The first book from Coach Mike, well-known life coach, personal development coach, addiction specialist, and soon-to-be Dr. Phil Show regular: an inspiring, invigorating program to help you examine where your life is now. Determine once and for all who you want to be and where you want to go, and live authentically and happily forever.

There is a pervasive belief in society
Audio CD
Published January 8th 2019 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Best Self, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Best Self

Jonathan M.
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the anecdotes Coach Mike provides to help frame the various lessons. It’s easier to understand the impact of something when it is applicable or has been applicable to real life. I feel I can go back and do many of the excercises in this book again, as a check-in to see if I am being my best self.
asbah
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
*4.5 stars*

I attended a forum last year that promised to help me achieve positive breakthroughs in my life. And while it wasn’t as effective for me as it was for the others, I remember feeling a different, lighter person after the sessions. I felt like I could take on the world.

This book read like that forum. It refreshed some of the ideas I had already learned, as well as offering me several lessons to aid me in different parts of my everyday life.

What I really enjoyed about this book, is that
Laura Hirschfield
Awesome read! So many actionable tips and tricks to become better everyday. Mike is so down to earth and seems so relatable. Highly recommend this to anyone and everyone!
John Lawchamp (YouTube)
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not a bad book at all. It starts off with Mike Bayer admitting to being a drug addict, earlier in his youth, and then changing his love, complete 180.
This books is different from other motivational books, in that here you have many "To-Dos" that will allow you to sit down and write answers to the questions provided. I have not sat down and wrote answers to all of them, but I can see how they would change your mode of thinking, when answering realistically about yourself.
Here, you will learn ho
LuAnn
Wow!

I thought carefully about what book would be my first read in 2019. I am SO PLEASED that I made it "Best Self: Be You, Only Better" by Mike Bayer. Definitely an auspicious way to begin the New Year! I started reading shortly after midnight, stopped for a nap at page 259, then read the rest of the book by 6:30 am!

Now, I'm looking forward to go back and work through the exercises, because, dang, it's 2019 and it's high time! My life has expanded and contracted in waves over the years, and has
Angela Hagen
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
BEST SELF:BE YOU,ONLY BETTER is an exciting, rewarding, and authentic read that will lead you on a journey to self-discovery.Mike Bayer is brilliant in his innovative approach to life coaching-delivering a fresh perspective on personal growth and well being. Through a series of interactive lessons woven throughout, Bayer's road map to the 'Best You' is a thought-provoking and inspirational experience for all readers.
ErIk Mendez
Dec 31, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
THIS BOOK IS AMAZING IM READING THE DIGITAL COPY AND SO FAR IM INLOVE WITH THIS BOOK
CANT WAIT TO READ THE HARD COPY :) BUT TILL THEN I BEEN Reading the Digital and notice a big Difference
happy New years everyone :p
Edward Kachinske
Great book filled with lots of practical advice. Highly recommend it.
Daniel
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for anyone looking to become a better version of themselves. Very practical and filled with exercises to help you identify and take action towards moving forward.
Anita
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best Self: Be You Only Better is a self-help book intended to help the reader change some of the aspects of their life and their own behaviors that could contribute to not being happy, not achieving goals, not changing unwanted behaviors and in short, not becoming their Best Self.

Initially I picked up this book because my husband expressed interest in reading it for himself. He had seen Mike Bayer on the Dr. Phil show where he is often brought on as a Life Coach and liked what he saw of him in t
Monique D.
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m honestly not a reader, and could literally count how many full books I’ve read Front to back if you gave me a pen and paper and 10 minutes I could tell you the few that I have (99% being for mandatory schoolwork). I could not put this down and not in the cliche way. Based on what I know about Coach Mike from his book and attending 2 Cast on Tours this year, I honestly have never heard of this ‘method’ being used to help overcome trials and tribulations but when you read the book and sit back ...more
Kulaman000my.Jordandistrict.Org
My Honest Opinion "Best Self" is a must read for anyone looking for make any type of lasting change in his/her life. I found it to be extremely helpful. It’s a simple step by step process to Improve your life in every spectrum. I recommend this book to anyone & everyone longing for a peaceful & meaningful life
I felt like Coach Mike was taking me on a personal journey of self discovery...This book is life changing!!! The author does a great job of getting me to dig deep into myself but al
Sam
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I would recommend Best Self to absolutely everyone, as I genuinely believe that every single person can utilize it to enhance their life in some way. This is truly a book for those who have the desire to better their lives through clear and concise goals and an increase in self-awareness. I have read a number of "self-help" books and found most of them to be an easily forgotten repetition of the same information that merely provokes thoughts of change without motivating a desire to take action. ...more
Lisa Manning
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is great but it is imperative to do the exercises/questions inside the book. Definitely learned some things about myself by doing so. Learning to recognize the negative side of yourself and flipping that before it has a chance to do damage is a positive step to becoming your Best Self. "The next time a negative thought about yourself begins to form, imagine an alarm, stop immediately and choose to reject that thought, and then choose a new message."

The seven spheres are logically defin
Brad Meier
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Best Self: Be You Only Better provides an excellent framework to think about personal development. There is an abundance of thoughtful, reflective exercises for the reader, with many relatable anecdotes. As a reader, you cannot help but participate in the reflective exercises when invited to do so. This book has great utility for an individual interested in personal growth as well as mental health professionals looking for an avenue to make inroads with clients. As a psychologist, I can definite ...more
Chessaria Moriarty
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this book to review before it is released.

I found this book to be very helpful. There are a lot of different action items that one can take. I chose to do some of them to get an idea of what the book is like, but want to keep the book so I can continue doing some of the other action items as I have time or as I need them.

The few I did really changed my perspective. I like the idea of the Best Self and the Anti-Self. It's not that we are bad people, we just have a part of us that isn'
Kathleen Thompson
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Powerful right from the beginning.
I haven't finished this book yet, and it was powerful right from the start. The first chapter had me write a narrative about who my best self is, and even give her a name. Then I drew her. The act of drawing was more meaningful than I thought it would be - once I got over my anxiety of drawing something.
Life is short. Do we want to live it by someone else's standards or expectations, or do we really want to live our best selves? And how do we make it happen if
Tran Tuyen
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would recommend this book for someone going through a hard time identifying your true-self. When you are facing so many doubts in your life, it is better to take a step back, calm down, and breathe. The author guides reader through various of simple practice to find out your best-self or the nemesis of its, your anti-self, and I think it is helpful in a way that at least it will distract your mind from a big mess of thought. Doodling may be a simple but powerful way to lead you to a clear pict ...more
Anna Kravchuk
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
It started well and had some good ideas related to social interactions, but then came the health chapter with sometimes questionable statements lacking scientific evidence, then spiritual which delicately embraces every religion while telling atheists that life without faith in unprovable is doomed, and then the ending which was not bad per se but just too obvious and boring.

PS and advice "look for signs", seriously?
Bonnijean Marley
Mike Bayer gives common sense advice for ordinary people. The exercises included in the book help the reader to determine their own best self.

I recommend this book to anyone who wants to be a better version of their authentic self. If you are stuck in any area of your life, thinking through the exercises in this book will help you identify the best course of action.

This book is well-written and easy to read and can make a huge positive impact on the reader.
Karen Dancel
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book shows you how to evaluate your worst self, into your best self. It shows you how to step outside of the box, takes you out of your comfort zone, and forces you to be honest with yourself about the type of person you are. The author then helps you re-evaluate areas in your life and in yourself to make the necessary and effective steps to becoming a better you. A definite must read for everyone!
Desiree
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful read! Coach Mike Bayer speaks, teaches and coaches from the heart. It is a well written book that was easy to read. I love the exercises throughout the book and it felt like Coach Mike was there by my side cheering me on. Whether you’re an athlete, relationship issues, addiction, weight issues,depression, work, business or personal growth, this book can help. I enjoyed it so much that I went back and re-read some of the chapters! I look forward to reading his book!
Sherry Monger
May 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I think this book may appeal more to people in their 20’s and 30’s who are still trying to figure things out. I found the content to be more in the pop psychology genre with its many questionnaires and self evaluation lists. Being an older adult, the insights were a little pedestrian........but that’s not to say I have the answers!😉
April
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I often read self help books for work but I found myself getting a lot out of this book personally. I think anyone could pick up this book and benefit from it especially someone who is going through a personal struggle or challenge in their life. Although I didn’t find a lot of his information entirely original, he does offer many exercises and techniques that I think could be really helpful!
Felipe CZ
Mar 15, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm not very fond of self-help books, but this is a handy one. By dumping our toxic anti-self and puting our best-self on charge, we can lead our lives. An actionable piece of advice is writing down our positive traits and putting a face to those attributes, making a character and sketching it. That character has to be in charge, and avoid our bad guy to win over the driver's seat.
Marie
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: individuality
"Five tenets for change are curiosity, honesty, openness, willingness and focus."

"Children move on to a new life. Celebrate your accomplishments as a parent."

'Children are not responsible for your happiness. They can not fill that void. Find joy in other things, yet know that you are still a resource for your child. You are still valued."

Juliana
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not for me. If you love narrative & anecdote combined with workbook exercises and have not done this type of thing before, you'll probably love it and feel an awareness and improvement in yourself.

I hate narrative & alot of long winded anecdote. I like just the facts and information. I only looked at this book because everyone was raving about it.
Heather Larcombe
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lots of quite good advice for keeping yourself motivated for constant improvement. Probably over the top for most people as the time required to actually do all the steps is pretty substantial -- I'm done listening to the book but I'm only on page 10 of the accompanying 500 page pdf of worksheets. Will be interesting to see if I continue working with it.
Danielle
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got this book because I really wanted to work on my self confidence. Let me tell you all, I’m only on chapter 3 and this is already changing my life! Mike really knows what he’s talking about and I already feel mentally happier, lighter, and all around more positive. I will recommend this to all of my friends!
Pat Anderson
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Coach Mike's book is chock full of practical exercises, tips and stories to motivate and encourage steps to improve your life. I love the organization of the book into the "SPHERE"s of life. My favorite chapter was on relationships. I am a coach, and learned a lot from that chapter! But don't just read the book - do the exercises! Trust me, it is worth the time and effort!

• A Branch from the Lightning Tree: Ecstatic Myth and the Grace of Wildness
  • The Mindful Diet: How to Transform Your Relationship with Food for Lasting Weight Loss and Vibrant Health
  • Sexual Anorexia: Overcoming Sexual Self-Hatred
  • Sliding Doors
  • Brain Briefs: Answers to the Most (and Least) Pressing Questions about Your Mind
  • Interpersonal Conflict
  • Behind the Curtain: An Insider's View of Jay Leno's Tonight Show
  • Signs From Pets In The Afterlife: Identifying Messages From Pets in Heaven
  • Confessions of a Fat Marathoner
  • Extraordinary Uses for Ordinary Things: 2,317 Ways to Save Money and Time
Mike Bayer, known as Coach Mike, is Founder and CEO of CAST Centers. Mike Bayer is a personal development coach who has changed the lives of numerous families, executives, and artists by empowering them to break free of destructive patterns and cycles.
“The real problem is that people are living lives that are incongruent with their authentic selves either because they’re following in their family’s footsteps instead of carving their own path, or they’re doing what worked for them ten years ago but simply doesn’t anymore, they’ve closed themselves off to what life has to offer because of fear or any number of other reasons. Every situation is unique.” 2 likes
“We learn in school the importance of a general education, but then later in life, many of us seem to disconnect from the idea of learning and just settle for what knowledge we’ve already attained. I believe many of us cease yearning for new information because we may have felt forced to learn things we found to be useless later in life, and as a result experience a level of disenchantment.” 2 likes