Start by marking “The Shaman Laughs (Charlie Moon, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Shaman Laughs (Charlie Moon, #2)

The Shaman Laughs (Charlie Moon #2)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  678 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Charlie Moon is no stranger to the mysterious ways of the spirit world. But why is prize livestock being ritualistically butchered in the Canyon of the Spirit? That's what Granite Creek's chief of police Scott Parish wants to find out before human blood begins to spill.

Enter Moon's aunt and aging Ute shaman Daisy Perika. For only she who communes with the ancient spirits c
Published July 29th 2008 by Minotaur Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Shaman Laughs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shaman Laughs

Karen
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For the genre it's fine but I guess I don't love these light mysteries. The descriptions of the people, area, etc were spot on (I lived in the SW and thought the author did an excellent job with the physical locations, attitude, and setting). But the killer was made to be so much more and then the final reveal was just so-so. Nice light read though.
Denise
Feb 17, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the Charlie Moon series with a setting in the Ute Indian Nation. I liked this book slightly better than the first book in the series (The Shaman Sings). I think Doss almost puts too much into the story until it gets confusing and jumbled. However, I'm not discouraged by the series and will continue reading it.
Gerry Martin
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who's laughing now?

I chose the highest rating because once again the writer kept me guessing until the very end of the book. His skill with literary twists and turns never let me give up the chase for the identity of the killer. Too bad I have read all of Doss's books.
John Jaffe
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Danny Doss' second

Builds on first and develops characters. Also has some revealing biographical background from the author. A solid addition to the series
Diana
Jul 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy mysteries of the southwest, especially those about the 4 corners area.
The book begins with an Indian rancher discovering his prize bull has been killed and mutilated.
Main character, Charlie Moon....a Ute policeman, is called to investigate. Charlie's boss is out of town and nearby sheriff Scott Parris is filling in for him. At this time, a new FBI man from
Durango comes into the cafe and the two policemen have some fun with the FBI man, Hoover....no relation to the famous J.Edgar Hoover
Judith
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I love the Charlie Moon series and this is the second time I've read this volume. I checked it out for my sister; volume 1 is very good, but Charlie doesn't appear, and in this second volume we have the two main male characters fairly well drawn; they get better and funnier as time goes on. I enjoy the aspects of Ute culture Doss inserts into the story (I presume these are accurate; I don't know), the cultural interplay, the idiosyncratic minor characters of the communities the mystery series in ...more
annapi
Jan 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Scott Parris is substituting for Charlie Moon's chief of police who is on vacation, and he is hoping for relaxing time off. Unfortunately, someone is killing mutilating cattle in what appears to be some bizarre ritual. Then someone kills the despised Arlo Nightbird, and Parris and Moon must find the killer before the obnoxious new FBI agent can pin it on a suspect they believe to be innocent.

This second book of the Charlie Moon series is even more filled with mysticism and humor than the first,
Pauline
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Doss does his usual good job with triple twisted mysteries and a sock'em surprise ending in this installment of the Charlie Moon series. Acting Chief Parris and Officer Charlie Moon work together to solve a series of grizzly murders and mutilations, and in so doing begin to forge the deep friendship that follows them through future volumes and mysteries.

If you enjoy stories about the Southwest in modern day interactions between tribes and non-native americans, these books (Charlie Moon series)
Melissa
Jun 30, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: summer readers.
When I selected this book, I thought it would be a fun mystical kind of mystery with a few Native American facts. After reading the book, I can say I appreciated the mystery part, but was left a little disappointed on the fact finding part. It's just that the book jacket led me to believe that the author was a subject matter expert on Native Americans, and since all the books he's written have been in the same vein, I thought I was bound to learn a thing or two. Kind of like the Davinci Code, ri ...more
Nigel
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this one. l'd read the first in this series and been a little disappointed based on the reviews I'd read. this one was much better for me with a lovely native American dimension as well as being a good crime story. The characters are strong and interesting with the two main lawmen making a great pair. humour and eerie sequences that made me laugh and shiver - I'll be reading more of these.
Sidney Rippy McLaughlin
Another Unexpected Ending

This is a good read. Not "edge of your chair" exciting, but I like the characters in the Charlie Moon books and they're all back. The story starts with a ritualistically mutilated prize bull and a proposed nuclear dump on the reservation and goes from there. The ending is a surprise and has a funny after story. I recommend the series.
Teresa
Apr 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I believe this is the second book of this series. The regular characters are interesting and likable. The evil characters are very evil. It can be compared to Tony Hillerman because it takes place on a western indian reservation, and treats the ancient customs with respect. Hillerman, however, cannot be replaced.
Donna
Mar 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am excited to discover this series. The characters are quirky and the landscape is beautiful. The story kept me guessing. I can picture the high desert and the beautiful sunsets and fast moving high energy storms. I look forward to many enjoyable times with Charlie Moon!
Tessa in Mid-Michigan
3.5 I continue to enjoy this author, but the shaman activities bothered me more this time. As a Christian, I am uncomfortable with the presentation of these. There was some acknowledgement of Jesus and Christianity, but it is pretty synchretistic. Dangerous stuff, imho.
Peggy
May 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy the dry humor in the book. The book was a little hard to get started because Doss was so anxious to set the stage right. It madfe it hard to follow but once he finally got going the story was fun to read.
Serena
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it

My Rating System:
Kevin Stevens
Dec 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
nice new series in the Tony Hillerman vein
Douglas
Apr 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and have found another southwest mystery writer. Looking forward to read other Charly Moon mysteries.
Fredrick Danysh
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prized livestock is being ritualistically being killed on the reservation. Charlie Moon investigates this evil.
Toesnorth's mom
utterly ridiculous
Elizabeth
A little heavy on the mysticism.
T J
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, have-read
Charlie Moon and his friend find themselves on the trail of the shadow man that Daisy Perika saw in her dream. Lots of twist and turns in this exciting read.
Barbra
Apr 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This author writes using a lot of indian mystisim within his stories. I really enjoyed this story, but I must confess I miss Tony Hillerman and his wonderful stories.
Leigh
Jan 17, 2010 added it
Shelves: mystery
The Shaman Laughs (Charlie Moon Mysteries) by James D. Doss (2008)
Michelle
Dec 05, 2012
Tammy Summers
Jan 28, 2013
Mansfield Public ...: the Shaman Laughs 1 4 Aug 08, 2014 06:22AM
  • The Lost Bird (Wind River Reservation, #5)
  • Cry Dance
  • Bone Hunter (Em Hansen Mystery, #5)
  • Coyote's Wife (Ella Clah, #13)
  • Curses! (Gideon Oliver, #5)
  • Death, Guns, and Sticky Buns (Tori Miracle, #3)
  • A Ghost of a Chance (A Shannon Delaney Paranormal Mystery #1)
  • Echoes
James Daniel Doss, recently retired from the technical staff of Los Alamos National Laboratory, now spends most of his time in a small cabin above Taos -- writing mystery fiction. He also travels to the fascinating locations where his stories take place, often camping in remote areas to absorb the impression of an Anasazi ruin, a deep canyon, an arid mesa, or a Sun Dance.

More about James D. Doss...

Charlie Moon (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Shaman Sings (Charlie Moon, #1)
  • The Shaman's Bones (Charlie Moon, #3)
  • The Shaman's Game
  • The Night Visitor (Charlie Moon, #5)
  • Grandmother Spider (Charlie Moon, #6)
  • White Shell Woman (Charlie Moon, #7)
  • Dead Soul (Charlie Moon, #8)
  • The Witch's Tongue (Charlie Moon, #9)
  • Shadow Man (Charlie Moon, #10)
  • Stone Butterfly (Charlie Moon, #11)