Start by marking “The Withered King” as Want to Read:
The Withered King

The Withered King

Fionn is the wielder of a legendary Tempest Blade, and he is blessed – or cursed – by the Gift. Though his days as a warrior are long over, his past leaves him full of guilt and regret. Life, however, has other plans for him, when he agrees to help a friend locate a missing person.

Gaby and Alex never expected to become heroes… until they met Fionn. As an ancient evil aris
Published August 20th 2019 by Shadow Dragon Press

To ask other readers questions about The Withered King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Withered King

Start your review of The Withered King
E.M. Swift-Hook
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Final Fantasy Meets Science Fantasy

Fionn is a hero from another age and he has a lot of baggage around using his power and his magical blade even in the best cause. In the past, he has seen them bring him only sorrow, guilt and regret. But when a new adventure opens up he realises he can't ignore what he is, who he is and he finds a new generation of ‘Gifted’ who need his help to master their skills.

What I really enjoyed:
The Pace. This is a book which seems to pack a page and a half of happening
Jane Jago
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Withered King is a rollercoaster of a blockbuster. It starts fast and keeps right on coming at helter-skelter pace.

Fionn is an old-style heroic hero, the reclusive wielder of a Tempest Blade, and just about too old and too world-weary for another battle. But despite his reluctance he comes to understand that figures from his past are reaching into the future and he has no option but to stand up and be counted.

He collects around him an oddly assorted group of friends and helpers (and the most
Paul
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I suspect that Victoria has always had an active imagination. Thinking up tales and stories and spinning them for hours on end. This book has all the facets of a good tale: a world that is both strange, yet familiar in many ways, characters you can root for, and supernatural elements that keep you on your toes.

The key to this book for me are the plot points that expand so well from the great battle in the opening pages… each chapter takes you one step closer to solving the greater mysteries Vict
Leo McBride
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is not something you've read before.
Tempest Blades - The Withered King is the first novel from Ricardo Victoria, and like just about everything he writes, this is bursting with ideas.
To try to contain Ricardo's ideas is like trying to contain jelly with elastic bands. He's exuberant, he's bubbly - and he's bristling with imagination.
I had the chance to read an advance review copy of this book, so let me tell you what Tempest Blades is. It's a fantasy epic. No, wait, it's an anime-style a
Brent Harris
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tempest Blades is a fast-paced, swash-buckling fantasy tale of one man’s struggle with his past, with an unexpected twist to the hero’s journey. Fans of Final Fantasy, superheroes, and anime will enjoy reading Tempest Blades as much as I did.
Sable
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like Final Fantasy meets Dungeons & Dragons! An action-packed sci-fantasy adventure that fans of the genre will love! Victoria delivers a lively story that feels like a video game, with plenty of heart and humour along the way. The characters are interesting, the action keeps you turning the pages, the concepts are fascinating! This is good stuff! The one-liners are killer too!

I enjoy LitRPG from time to time, and this is good work in the genre. This is the story of Fionn, a veteran of a magical
Paperbacks
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Straight off the bat, this is a whirlwind of a book, it’s colourful, imaginative, with great characters and world building. Personally, I found it just a little hectic at times. There are a ton of great things in this story and as a lover of high fantasy, the opening pages were by far my favourite. Great banter, confident characters that were awesome and they knew it, amazing battles with mystical weapons and magics. The violence has very much an anime/manga feel, ultra violent, with plenty of b ...more
WS_BOOKCLUB
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is centered around Fionn, wielder of the sword Tempest Blade. He has kind of dropped out of life after his past fills him with loss and an overwhelming sense of guilt. He gets a chance to set things right when his friend, Harland asks for help finding a missing person. Fionn has unique abilities that make him an invaluable asset, especially where magic is concerned.

Fionn was a fun character. He had that self-loathing part of him, but he was also well aware of his abilities and how usef
Lucia✍
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Do I love a fast paced novel? Oh, yes PLEASE! This was such a page turner. I enjoyed reading about the friendship between Fionn, Gaby and Alex, and their adventure together.

And while science fiction isn’t really my preferred genre, I had no problem settling into this novel. It’s fast pace kept me interested from start to finish. Great job author, definitely will be checking out more from you!
ivanhoe
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Tempest Blades is an astounding novel, a journey that takes the heroes and the readers through a voyage of self discovery and personal growth. there are hints of Lord of the Rings, Steampunk and even Lovecraftian lore all mixed up and proving that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Characters are relatable and likeable, and the chemistry their relationships emanate is truly enjoyable.
Martha Gonzalez
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It's kind of hard to describe the genre, since it's kind of urban fantasy mixed with LitRPG, and somehow it reminds me of anime, but in a different world from ours... not like anything I've read recently.
The story has enjoyable characters, with a nice combination of action, comedy and calm scenes, which makes it an easy and very enjoyable read.
I also really liked the fact that although the world is well developed and has potential for more stories in the future, it is a self
Maria Haskins
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Withered King by Ricardo Victoria is an action-packed blend of magic and mayhem, sword and sorcery, science fiction and fantasy. The book is full of entertaining characters, has a sense of humor and adventure, and there's a crackling video-game vibe added for good measure. It's a book that should appeal to readers looking for adventure and fun.
Alexander Pyles
Jul 25, 2019
Erik
Aug 30, 2019
Ricardo Victoria
Sep 15, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-own-work
Tim Hayes
Oct 25, 2019

• A Girl Called Ari
  • Carnivorous Cupid
  • The Girl the Sea Gave Back (Sky in the Deep, #2)
  • Three Halves of a Whole
  • Atonement (Heaven Sent #1)
  • Werewolf Nights
  • CYBERMAN
  • Nevada Noir : A Trilogy of Short Stories
  • Tales of Magic and Destiny
  • Highland Obligation (Highland Pride #5)
  • An Enemy at the Highland Court (The Highland Ladies, #5)
  • A Reckless Redemption (Spies and Lovers, #3)
  • Earl of Every Sin (Sins and Scoundrels Book 4)
  • FIRE BLOSSOM
  • The Highlander’s Stolen Soulmate: A Steamy Scottish Historical Romance Novel
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • Lord of Ice (Knight Miscellany, #3)