Start by marking “Recursion” as Want to Read:

4.20  ·  Rating details ·  40,522 ratings  ·  6,966 reviews
Memory makes reality.

That’s what New York City cop Barry Sutton is learning as he investigates the devastating phenomenon the media has dubbed False Memory Syndrome—a mysterious affliction that drives its victims mad with memories of a life they never lived.

That's what neuroscientist Helena Smith believes. It’s why she’s dedicated her life to creating a technology that
Published June 11th 2019 by Crown Publishing Group (NY)

To ask other readers questions about Recursion, please sign up.
Henry
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Trish No, but since there are 11 days left until Recursion releases, and Dark Matter is an AWESOME book, you might as well...

·  40,522 ratings  ·  6,966 reviews

Start your review of Recursion
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
UPDATE: IT'S OUT!! Go read it so we can all gush about it!!

(4.5) As always, Crouch knows how to keep you on your toes and does a great job at mixing thriller and sci-fi genre.

A mysterious disease starts affecting people’s memory, giving them memories of a life they never lived. NYPD detective Barry Sutton is trying to investigated how the False Memory Syndrome is spreading and ultimately will come to face Helena Smith a neuroscientist who invented a device that’s changing the world.

Chaima ✨ شيماء
me: *finishes reading any book by Blake Crouch*

me: what the fuck…..
me: [at dinner] what the fuck…
me: [trying to sleep] what the fuck….
me: [in the bathroom] what the fuck….
me: [breathing] w hAt THe F uCK
Emily May
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, 2019
But what do you cling to, moment to moment, if memories can simply change. What, then, is real?

Imagine you woke up one morning and discovered that your entire life - your job, your kids, your friends, all your experiences - wasn't real. It still feels real. You remember it vividly. But you also suddenly remember another life; your real life. And you are told that the life you remember is a result of FMS (False Memory Syndrome)-- an illusion created by your brain.

I don't know about you, but
Nilufer Ozmekik
Five OMG I’m suffering from brain cells bleeding and explosion of my last standing grey cells, what the hell I just read and who am I ? stars!

I know the drill but let me rephrase one more time! This is not an easy, soft, sunshine and rainbows reading!

In my opinion people who are brave enough to dive into this journey should put themselves an IQ test and discover their cognitive skills. ( luckily I read the quantum physics for dummies before the beginning but I feel like I can be great cast for
Chelsea Humphrey
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chelsea by: Dennis
Pleased to announce that Recursion is the #scaredsuspensebookclub pick for June 2019! Come join us in reading and discussing this one on Instagram; discussion will be posted on the 21st of the month. Can't wait to spill the tea with you all!

Book of the Month selection June 2019

**********************

"Everything will look better in the morning. There will be hope again when the light returns. The despair is only an illusion, a trick the darkness plays."

I'm convinced that Blake Crouch is THE
Matthew
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All the people!
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way.

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain.
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today.
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.

Pink Floyd - Time

I am just going to say it – Blake Crouch is
Melissa
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Dark Matter
Recommended to Melissa by: Haley
Creative. Though-provoking. Emotionally-charged. Memorable.

Whether you’re a reader that frequents the sci-fi genre, or one that only occasionally takes a risk when it comes to the suspension of disbelief (hello, that’s me!), recognizing and appreciating the level of creativity behind Blake Crouch’s work takes little effort. Time and again, Crouch has proven just how rewarding it can be to take a chance on something different. Something totally outside of my typical. With Dark Matter (one of my
j e w e l s
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
FIVE MIND-BENDING STARS

Book readers tend to throw around words like “addictive” and “unputdownable”. But, I'm dead serious about those words. And guys, I’m here to tell you, I read RECURSION straight through dinner last night until I finished at three am this morning. What an intelligent and freakin’ addictive thriller!

The first half sets up the rest of the book and it is crucial to read carefully and try to understand the very simple quantum physics necessary to travel around in time. LOL.

I
Petrik
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sci-fi & Dark Matter fans
Recommended to Petrik by: Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Recursion has become the first sci-fi standalone to be included in my favorite shelves.

As many readers probably did, my first experience with reading Crouch’s work was for Dark Matter. I was super impressed by it and after hearing that the author has a new sci-fi thriller that’s highly recommended for readers who loved Dark Matter gave me so much joy; it would be insane for me to not take a look at Recursion. Do note that taking a look at Crouch’s novel can be surmised as reading the novel
Paromjit
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Blake Crouch's latest science fiction thriller is a complex mind messing of a thought provoking read. It is intense, time shifting and asks profound questions of identity, memory, and what it is that makes us human. Just be prepared to find yourself buffeted all over the place. I understand that the novel is going to be filmed, and I am not surprised by this, this is a twisted story that just fizzes with energy and vitality. NYPD police officer Barry Sutton tries but fails to prevent a woman ...more
Susanne  Strong
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
3 Stars.

What can I say about Blake Crouch’s new book Recursion? Well, it’s got “a Whole Lotta Crazy Going On!”

Can you say, do-over? Are your memories to be trusted? What happens if your memories are replaced with new ones and you keep re-living your life over and over?

Just ask NYPD Detective Barry Sutton, whose life has been in tatters for the last several years, ever since the death of his daughter Meghan. When he is called to the scene of a potential suicide, he learns of something called
Debra
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past."
- George Orwell, 1984

This was a book I had to sit and think about before writing my review, mainly because I had to let it sink it. What would it be like to live your life over again? What would it be like to go back and change past events? How would this action affect your future? How would it affect the future of others? This book is deep and is thought provoking.

Blake Crouch has written a very
Meredith
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: overdrive

“There is no past.”

Recursion is a provocative and mind-bending read about nonlinear time, the fluidity of memory, and the power of love.

In Recursion, a scientific invention allows for one to go back in time and save a life or prevent a tragic event from occurring. But changing the past has serious consequences in the present. False Memory Syndrome emerges resulting in suicides, bombings, and nuclear war. To stop the destruction of the chair, multiple timelines are created, leading to
Holly  B
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A dark, sci-fi thriller that had my mind bending in many directions!

From the author of Dark Matter , which has been on my reading list for some time, but still haven't read it yet.

Would you like a do-over of your life? Hmm, that seems like a loaded question and it is! This was quite an edge of your seat, genre crossover that had me needing answers and quick.

A brilliant neuroscientist Helena Smith, has developed technology that will redefine how we think about time and memory. Playing with
Barbie
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

My thoughts in a nutshell
I chose Recursion to be my first read by Blake Crouch and I definitely didn't regret it. Dark Matter is on my TBR for ages so it will be my next read by him.
I don't read sci-fi nevertheless I was entertained by this one.
At first, the whole book was so confusing. I don't understand anything about it, lol. I read it. I kept going. Then finally, I realized the concept.
I have to tell you this is a brilliant and mind-blowing idea and I totally loved it.
I thought a lot
BernLuvsBooks (Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas)
Blake Crouch has done it again!!! Recursion was fascinating, confusing and brilliant!

Dark Matter is one of my favorite sci-fi books of all time so I was almost scared to delve into Recursion - nervous it wouldn't live up to my expectations for Crouch. This book was ambitious. Thankfully, I had nothing to fear. Mr. Crouch's brilliant mind hasn't failed us yet.

Recursion deals with memory - preserving memory, and using it to shift our reality. What a roller coaster ride this was. Can you imagine
Felicia
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
If Black Mirror served as a surrogate for Groundhog's Day and Back to the Future, Recursion would be that test tube baby.

This one starts out with a bang, or more like a plunk, as the story opens with a woman jumping from a building to her death, but not before she utters the words "My son has been erased." to Detective Barry Sutton.

What follows is two storylines, one where Barry searches for the meaning behind the woman's final words and one where researcher Helena Smith is developing a means
Bradley
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have no problems in announcing that this book ought to be a multi-multi-billion-dollar bestseller.

Maybe I'm biased, too, but damn, this guy can write a great novel that tickles all my SF bones and reminds me how much I love well-crafted thrillers. Does this remind you of his Dark Matter? It should.

And if you loved the ideas behind The Butterfly Effect, Flatliners, and Groundhog Day, I'm certain you're going to fall head-over-heels for this novel.

Am I giving too much away? No. Probably not.
Tucker
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Tucker by: Blake Crouch

Many thanks to Crown Books for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review
re·cur·sion
/re-ker-zhun/
noun
the repeated application of a recursive procedure or definition.

Have you ever had one of those books that literally change the way you look at life? Well, if you haven't, you don't know what your missing. Recursion is one of those books that you don't completely understand but.. You do at the same time. You know what I'm saying? Anyway, I don't have a good translation so ON TO THE
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
4.5 stars, rounding up. On sale now! Review first posted on Fantasy Literature:

description
A sort of memory chair ...

Recursion begins with a dual timeline in alternating chapters, a familiar literary approach, but then splinters into razor-sharp time shards as the characters deal with the explosive consequences of a new technology relating to personal memory.

In November 2018, detective Barry Sutton attempts to prevent a woman from jumping from the 41st floor of a New York City tower. The woman, Ann, tells
Christina - Traveling Sister
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
5, WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT. Amazeballs stars!!!

Full review along with a recipe for huevos rancheros featured on my blog Recipe & a Read!

So, I feel like I need to start this out with a little caveat. I would put Blake Crouch’s Dark Matter in my top 5 favorite books ever read. I absolutely adored it. Was I confused at times? Yes. Was I also completely and utterly thrilled the whole time I read it? Also, yes. I was both excited and incredibly nervous to read his upcoming novel Recursion because
Kaceey
Helena is a gifted neuroscientist trying to develop a way to preserve memories. It’s personal for her. Her mother has Alzheimer’s. Helen is quickly running out of both time and funding. But at what price is she willing to move ahead?

Barry is a New York City policeman. He’s called to help talk down a woman threatening to jump from a building as she suffers from False Memory Syndrome.
So little is known about this condition. Is it contagious? Is he willing to put his own life at risk to save her?

I
marilyn
I'm looking forward to reading more books by Blake Crouch because I enjoyed Recursion so much. We follow NYPD Barry Sutton and neuroscientist Helena Smith through decades and decades and decades of memories. They know the world is being destroyed due to Helena's invention and they try over and over to stop the destruction, with heartbreaking results, each time.

Helena invented a "memory" chair that was intended to allow a person to save memories for later when they might be suffering from
Larry H
Mar 01, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

This was some crazy s--t.

"What's more precious than our memories? They define us and form our identities."

Blake Crouch's new book, Recursion , is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Crouch's Dark Matter , which was one of the top five books I read in 2017, blew me away, even though I wasn't 100 percent sure I understood everything I read. But this book? This is a fascinating, albeit confusing, meditation on memory and how crucial what we remember is to our identity. It's
jessica
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
the thing i admire about blake crouch is how he can take a story centred in one particular genre, but make it accessible and enjoyable to everyone. this book is everything that is right in the sci-fi world and is proof that sci-fi can be written exceptionally well and appeal to the masses, regardless of individual genre preferences.

not only is this story living in a dangerously close reality, where scientific and technological advances play a massive role in society (for better or worse), but
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
Wow....I didn’t even think I was going to like this book....I’m not a die-hard science fiction fan..... but ‘occasionally’ I’ll take the plunge. I found “Recursion”, fascinating- and it kept me hooked.....
I didn’t expect any of this....this much enjoyment. It got me thinking of things I never do: parallel universes... physics...time....space...energy... Philosophy....the different universes within the multiverse.....and False Memory Syndrome.....(woke-up my imagination neurons)....and all that
Ginger
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, arc
ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review via NetGalley.

5 STARS!
Full review up!

Recursion was a science fiction thriller that kept building and building for an epic finale!

I’m still thinking about the ending of Recursion today. It’s a hard driving look into what is the meaning of déjà vu, much less the possibilities of rewriting mistakes and tragedies in your life.

Recursion starts off with a woman jumping to her death in front of NYPD detective, Barry Sutton. Barry doesn’t
Linda
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Memories stay.......People don't.

Detective Barry Sutton, Central Robbery Division of the NYPD, races to the 41st floor of the Poe Building known for its Art Deco motif and certainly not for what is about to happen. A lone woman is perched on the edge in more ways than one. She looks imploringly at Barry and tells him in a breaking voice that her son has been "erased". Before Barry can even blink, the woman falls to her death.

What's real, Barry?

A paralyzing question that will run like a gazelle
Liz
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I’m not a fan of sci-fi, but I loved Dark Matter and am fascinated by issues involving memory. So this one was a no brainer to read. In 2007, Neuroscientist Helena Smith is devoting her life to creating a technology to preserve our memories. Meanwhile, folks in 2018 are suffering from False Memory Syndrome, an affliction in which a person literally has memories of living an entirely different life. Barry Sutton is a detective that attempts to save a woman from suicide when she is suffering from ...more
Peter
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rescission
Recursion is an outstanding contemporary science fiction thriller that is a great adventure full of suspense and power struggles and demonstrates how we can corrupt ourselves in controlling history. When you realise you’ve made a mistake can you go back and erase it, or does that compound the actual mistake.

The concept of capturing memories from the neural databases in our heads and replaying them as core memories is utterly fascinating. To imagine doing that for those with dementia
Nerds & Encrenque...: Recursion (Dez/2019) 1 5 Dec 04, 2019 07:03PM
thoughts on this book? 2 23 Dec 04, 2019 11:28AM
Book of The Month: Recursion 4 54 Nov 27, 2019 05:15AM
*Best Sellers* Bo...: October 2019 - Recursion by Blake Crouch 6 9 Nov 24, 2019 08:34AM
Crime, Mysteries ...: Recursion by Blake Crouch - (No Spoilers) - September 2019 22 52 Nov 19, 2019 03:08PM
We Read Stuff: Recursion - November 2019 - Thriller/Suspense 2 8 Nov 18, 2019 06:10PM
Kastella Book Club: Next book! 3 11 Nov 02, 2019 06:53AM

• The Silent Patient
  • Randomize
  • Gods of Jade and Shadow
  • The Nickel Boys
Blake Crouch is a bestselling novelist and screenwriter. He is the author of the forthcoming novel, Dark Matter, for which he is writing the screenplay for Sony Pictures. His international-bestselling Wayward Pines trilogy was adapted into a television series for FOX, executive produced by M. Night Shyamalan, that was Summer 2015’s #1 show. With Chad Hodge, Crouch also created Good Behavior, the ...more
“Life with a cheat code isn't life. Our existence isn't something to be engineered or optimized for the avoidance of pain. That's what it is to be human - the beauty and the pain, each meaningless without the other.” 35 likes
“He has wondered lately if that's all living really is—one long goodbye to those we love.” 23 likes