Start by marking “Hey Grandude!” as Want to Read:
Hey Grandude!

Hey Grandude!

From Paul McCartney—an action-packed picture-book adventure celebrating the fun that grandparents and grandkids can get up to.

See the compass needle spin, let the magic fun begin!

Meet Grandude—a super-cool grandfather who is an intrepid explorer with some amazing tricks up his sleeve. Grandude is a one-of-a-kind adventurer! With his magic compass, h
Published September 5th 2019 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Hey Grandude!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hey Grandude!

Start your review of Hey Grandude!
Abigail
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Determined Paul McCartney Fans
A Grandude and his "chillers" (a grandfather and grandchildren) embark on a series of fantastic adventures thanks to the grandfather's magical compass in this debut picture-book from celebrated musician Paul McCartney. Escaping from a gray and drizzly day, the group of travelers find themselves on a sunny beach, then in the Old West, and finally on a peaceful mountain slope in the Swiss Alps. Eventually they return home, and the children (or chillers) are put to bed by their Grandude...
Michael Fitzgerald
Sep 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
No one - not anyone anywhere - needed this book. Paul didn't need the money. Paul didn't need the media attention. Certainly no readers will have their lives changed by this. Unfortunately, I will never have those 15 minutes of my life back.

The book starts off on the wrong foot with a dumb conceit - it's written not by McCartney, but by "Edward Marshall Sr." Perhaps Paul wanted some kind of plausible deniability to hide behind.

There are four grandchildren - a diversity-fest, natch. Like Paul,
Amy
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a huge Paul McCartney fan, I couldn’t wait for this book to come out. As a new grandma myself, I look forward to taking my grandkids on many memory creating adventures. Grandude captures the love of his grandchildren by trying desperately to change a boring gray, cloudy day for them. And he succeeds in a great way! Excited to see what Paul might write next!
Lexi
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: august2019
You can definitely tell this was written by "the cute Beatle" because that's what it is. ;)
Sheila
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Audiobook is fantastic!
Abby Johnson
Hand this one to Beatles fans who are parents or grandparents!
Susan Crowe
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-books, dtbs
5 stars because, hey, It's Paul McCartney!!! Written and narrated by Paul!!
It was cute!! Loved it!!!
Georgette
I love my Beatles, but Sir Paul did not need to write this book. Cute idea, but execution is just filed under ok
Stefanie Kellum
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This one is sure to be a hit at storytime. Hilarious. *I read a digital ARC of this title from the publisher via Edelweiss.
Wendelle So
fun and wholesome. I guess Sir Paul wrote this for his grandkids and probably shows what kind of grandfather he is-- mellow and loving yet cool and adventurous
Vern
Oct 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
Okay, a book.
Like his songs.
Why? Why did he write this?
Lisamarie
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute story and beautifully illustrated. I couldn’t wait to get the book after hearing Paul talk about it almost a year ago! Fun for all ages!
Aaron Badgley
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant story, wonderful drawings and beautiful tip of the hat to Linda. What is not to love???
Kathy McC
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just about perfect. 4.5 stars. The best thing about this book is the strong writer's voice- I could hear Sir Paul's voice in my head reading this aloud.
Donna
My niece's birthday present to my dad for his first year as a zayde. It's cute, the pictures are nice (the artist is Canadian!), but it's not anything special. (I mean, other than that it was WRITTEN BY PAUL EFFING MCCARTNEY!)
Gmr
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
The kiddos are having a bit of a rough day. Why? Well, it's blustery and gloomy outside, so they're all stuck inside...or so they think. Enter stage right...their effervescent Grandude, and boy does he ever have an adventure for them! All he needs is a postcard or two, his "magic" compass, a few fun rhyming magical words, and ZING, BANG, SIZZLE...things get QUITE a bit more interesting. From lazy days at the shore to outrunning a heard of wild buffalo, traipsing snow capped peaks to hitching a r ...more
Taylor Heersink
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
This graphic and vivid picture book is a fun, and hip story about a grandude and his grand “chillers”. It starts out with all the chillers in the living room, being bored out of their mind and all very moody because of the rain and stormy weather outside. Then finally their favorite grandude comes home and shows them all of his postcards from faraway places he has visited. He asks them if they want to go on an adventure and his magic compass takes them to all the places, they wish to go. They go ...more
Jane
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
After a very well-known career as a musician, Paul McCartney has published his first picture book. The story is well-written and I think it will appeal to young elementary-aged children. The grandpa in Hey Grandude! is a very fun guy - just what grandpas are supposed to be. Throughout the story, Grandude does what he can to ensure his grandchildren (Chillers) are having a good time and are safe.

Illustrator Kathryn Durst created illustrations which go beyond the text and are whimsica
Tania
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-ps
Grandude is the older male equivalent of a Mary Poppins. He is watching his Chillers (grandchildren), they are antsy on a rainy day and hopeful for adventure, and through a magical postcard their grandfather delivers. As the grands are whisked around the world in a series of speedy encounters with the daring and the dangerous, they are in turns delighted and a bit fearful. When the adventures finally come to an end, everyone is ready for a return to a more sedate everyday life.

The pictures are
Dimity Powell
Oct 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-lit
Page-filling illustrations and a relaxed narrative drive this story about grandparents, grandfather's in particular and the magical, zany relationship they share with their grandkiddies.

Imaginative and geographically interesting (Grandude escorts his grandkids, aka the Chillers to various locations on planet Earth with the help of his magical compass), Hey Grandude! is a spirited adventure ride which I am certain would entertain either when read as a book story or via the CD or Audio editions,
Suzanne Garrison
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another must have for your children’s library. Fun, easy to read for beginners, and encourages the use of their imaginations. The Chillers aren’t sitting around watching tv because they’re bored (a concept I LOVE but has disappeared from today’s childhoods), they instead go with their magical Granddude (aren’t all grandfathers magical? Mine certainly were)on amazing trips via his magic compass - which also gets them ready for and tucked into bed without any fuss (a tool most parents would give t ...more
Karen
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thought I would be thinking...another book by a celebrity but NO - this is a really good book. The concept is sharing adventures with your grandude, grandpa, pop or whatever you call them. The postcards help to lead the adventure. I hope children will be excited to ask their grandparents to tell them stories of where they have been and things they have seen. This book only touches the surface of the importance of families. This is a must have for families to share together!
Erin Buhr
Sep 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
A book full of imagination and a grandfather unlike any other. Four grandkids and their "grandude" are stuck inside on a gray day. Grandude brings out a stack of postcards and using a magical compass transports them around the world on different adventures. This is a bright, energetic book sure to inspire play and imagination. My twins popped up after we read it and immediately started searching for postcards and a compass.
Nadina
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books-e
Sometimes you pick a book for the cover, sometimes the author, sometimes the plot. I will admit both the title and the author are what got me interested in this book, and it did not disappoint.
The illustrations were good, detailed, but not overwhelmingly so.
The story itself was fairly fast paced, but it didn't feel inappropriately fast, and I liked the premise and plot.
It was a fun book over all and one I am sure I would recommend.
Kelly
I was expecting some sort of take on the song Hey Jude, and this is nothing like that. It was an interesting adventure story instead, maybe for early elementary students. The illustrations are nice and a lot is happening. The only weird part was that one character was alternating what he was wearing on the early pages, and I don't know if they just missed something or if that was intended.
Sarah Yung
Sep 23, 2019 rated it liked it
This feels like a pretty solidly commercial picture book with read-aloud appeal. It has a good rhythm and repetitive plot structure; I’m sure it will sell extraordinarily well because of its author. I did like it, but it’s not particularly unique or innovative. However, I could imagine this easily being a repeat bedtime request for young children.
Jenny
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bought it because of the title, liked it because of the cute story.

I adore the illustrations in this book.

The story is cute, and I can see myself using it in my classroom in the future. Would have loved for the story to have been a bit more layered.
Beth
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Paul McCartney writes a children's picture book and it is a delight! Wonderful, colorful illustrations throughout as Grandude and his "chillers" (grandkids) travel with the help of a magical compass.
Lots of fun!
Ann Brookens
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Although one reviewer was REALLY annoyed by this book, I think it is cute and would enjoy reading it to my grandkids. The story zips along and the kids have some interesting adventures. My only question is: do Paul McCartney's grandchildren call him "grandude"???
Liz Tiethoff
While this is nothing Earth shattering, it's a cute idea and the illustrations are very well done. My 2 year old loves it and will ask for the book by its title. He usually wants to read it at least twice in a row before moving on so it's pretty big hit over here.

• Pete the Cat and the Perfect Pizza Party
  • The Crayon Man: the True Story of the Invention of Crayola Crayons
  • A Piglet Named Mercy
  • Vlad the Rad
  • Snack Attack!
Sir James Paul McCartney MBE, known as Paul McCartney, is an English singer-songwriter, composer, multi-instrumentalist, poet, entrepreneur, painter, record producer, film producer, and animal-rights activist. He gained worldwide fame as one of the founders and members of The Beatles. McCartney and John Lennon formed one of the most influential and successful songwriting partnerships and "wrote so ...more