Start by marking “Hey Grandude!” as Want to Read:
Hey Grandude!

Hey Grandude!

From Paul McCartneyan action-packed picture-book adventure celebrating the fun that grandparents and grandkids can get up to.

See the compass needle spin, let the magic fun begin!

Meet Grandudea super-cool grandfather who is an intrepid explorer with some amazing tricks up his sleeve. Grandude is a one-of-a-kind adventurer! With his magic compass, he whisks his four
Published September 5th 2019 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Hey Grandude!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hey Grandude!

Start your review of Hey Grandude!
Abigail
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Determined Paul McCartney Fans
A Grandude and his "chillers" (a grandfather and grandchildren) embark on a series of fantastic adventures thanks to the grandfather's magical compass in this debut picture-book from celebrated musician Paul McCartney. Escaping from a gray and drizzly day, the group of travelers find themselves on a sunny beach, then in the Old West, and finally on a peaceful mountain slope in the Swiss Alps. Eventually they return home, and the children (or chillers) are put to bed by their Grandude...

Although
Michael Fitzgerald
Sep 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
No one - not anyone anywhere - needed this book. Paul didn't need the money. Paul didn't need the media attention. Certainly no readers will have their lives changed by this. Unfortunately, I will never have those 15 minutes of my life back.

The book starts off on the wrong foot with a dumb conceit - it's written not by McCartney, but by "Edward Marshall Sr." Perhaps Paul wanted some kind of plausible deniability to hide behind.

There are four grandchildren - a diversity-fest, natch. Like Paul,
Donna
My niece's birthday present to my dad for his first year as a zayde. It's cute, the pictures are nice (the artist is Canadian!), but it's not anything special. (I mean, other than that it was WRITTEN BY PAUL EFFING MCCARTNEY!)
Una Tiers
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was not what I expected in terms of Paul's songs. It was 32 pages long. Still it was kind and fun.
Georgette
I love my Beatles, but Sir Paul did not need to write this book. Cute idea, but execution is just filed under ok
Vern
Oct 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
Okay, a book.
Like his songs.
Why? Why did he write this?
Amy
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a huge Paul McCartney fan, I couldnt wait for this book to come out. As a new grandma myself, I look forward to taking my grandkids on many memory creating adventures. Grandude captures the love of his grandchildren by trying desperately to change a boring gray, cloudy day for them. And he succeeds in a great way! Excited to see what Paul might write next! ...more
Lexi
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: august2019
You can definitely tell this was written by "the cute Beatle" because that's what it is. ;)
Barbara
Although four grandchildren usually love hanging out on the weekend with their grandfather, the weather leaves them feeling frustrated and bored. But Grandude has a few tricks up his sleeve that might get rid of their doldrums. You see, he has postcards of exotic places and a magic compass that will take them to those places. They head to a beach, and enjoy frolicking in the waves until something happens to send them scurrying off to another postcard scene. This goes on for a while with the ...more
Wendelle
fun and wholesome. I guess Sir Paul wrote this for his grandkids and probably shows what kind of grandfather he is-- mellow and loving yet cool and adventurous
Susan Crowe
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dtbs, 2019-books
5 stars because, hey, It's Paul McCartney!!! Written and narrated by Paul!!
It was cute!! Loved it!!!
Kathy McC
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just about perfect. 4.5 stars. The best thing about this book is the strong writer's voice- I could hear Sir Paul's voice in my head reading this aloud.
Sheila
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Audiobook is fantastic!
Abby Johnson
Hand this one to Beatles fans who are parents or grandparents!
Raven Black
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute and fun. For the modern reader and family dynamic. Might be too "sweet" for some but overall should have a broad appeal.
Pauline
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been in love with Paul McCartney for most of my life. This book was not written like his music, but enjoyable.
It's short, but sweet.
Tania
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-ps
Grandude is the older male equivalent of a Mary Poppins. He is watching his Chillers (grandchildren), they are antsy on a rainy day and hopeful for adventure, and through a magical postcard their grandfather delivers. As the grands are whisked around the world in a series of speedy encounters with the daring and the dangerous, they are in turns delighted and a bit fearful. When the adventures finally come to an end, everyone is ready for a return to a more sedate everyday life.

The pictures are
Stefanie Kellum
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This one is sure to be a hit at storytime. Hilarious. *I read a digital ARC of this title from the publisher via Edelweiss.
Lisamarie
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute story and beautifully illustrated. I couldnt wait to get the book after hearing Paul talk about it almost a year ago! Fun for all ages! ...more
Gabrielle Stoller
Another case of a celebrity writing a book.....and I'm not quite sure it pays off. I love that the grandpa is the central character along with the grandkids. (Normally you see grandmas). Still, I find it a bit long....and not a fave.
Cindi Hanson
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
Cute book!
Aaron Badgley
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant story, wonderful drawings and beautiful tip of the hat to Linda. What is not to love???
Catherine
Picked this up for the Granddude and the grandboy in our house. Written by Paul McCartney.

Cute book for an older child.
Taylor Heersink
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
This graphic and vivid picture book is a fun, and hip story about a grandude and his grand chillers. It starts out with all the chillers in the living room, being bored out of their mind and all very moody because of the rain and stormy weather outside. Then finally their favorite grandude comes home and shows them all of his postcards from faraway places he has visited. He asks them if they want to go on an adventure and his magic compass takes them to all the places, they wish to go. They go ...more
Kate
Mar 15, 2020 rated it liked it
A good friend and fellow Beatles fan gave this to me as a present. It is a very cute kid's book. It would be fun to read it aloud to kids. Except mine are grown and I'm not a Grandudette!
Shauna
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is about adventures of a grandpa and his grandkids using a magic compass to travel the world. Funny illustrations.
Nicole
Feb 05, 2020 rated it liked it
I actually give this a 3.5 star rating. I thought the story about a Grandude going on adventures so the children aren't bored was a really great idea! The story just shows that with imagination anything is possible: a trip to the ocean, a safari, meeting a cowboy can call be achieved just before being back in time for bed. If readers had/have a grandfather with an imagination, you should recommend them this book.
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-authors
Duh, it's Paul.
Norkett
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A big Beatles fan in our family was the one who was the most interested in this story. A nice story - it was one adventure after another, all thanks to magic.
Angela
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sweet little book. I read it with my 6 year old tonight and he really enjoyed it ❤ ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Dr. Seuss's Horse Museum
  • Pete the Cat and the Perfect Pizza Party
  • Just in Case You Want to Fly
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • The Serious Goose
  • Paddington, King of the Castle
  • Please Don't Eat Me
  • Paddington at the Rainbow's End
  • I Want a Dog
Sir James Paul McCartney MBE, known as Paul McCartney, is an English singer-songwriter, composer, multi-instrumentalist, poet, entrepreneur, painter, record producer, film producer, and animal-rights activist. He gained worldwide fame as one of the founders and members of The Beatles. McCartney and John Lennon formed one of the most influential and successful songwriting partnerships and "wrote ...more