Start by marking “Those People” as Want to Read:
Those People

Those People

3.31  ·  Rating details ·  5,768 ratings  ·  1,015 reviews
From the author of the international bestseller Our House, a new novel of twisty domestic suspense asks, "Could you hate your neighbor enough to plot to kill him?"

Lowland Way is the suburban dream. The houses are beautiful, the neighbors get along, and the kids play together on weekends.

But when Darren and Jodie move into the house on the corner, they donʼt follow the rul
Published June 11th 2019 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about Those People, please sign up.
Louise Candlish Each of the neighbours has a particular gripe with the invaders and Tess represents kids and animals. Darren and Jodie don't care much for either and …moreEach of the neighbours has a particular gripe with the invaders and Tess represents kids and animals. Darren and Jodie don't care much for either and Darren is scared of dogs. She also represents the dilemma of not wanting to complain about a neighbour because of the disclosure rules when you sell a property in the UK. My intention with each of the neighbours was to present a snapshot of their behaviour and let the reader be the judge. Some characters are more self-aware than others and I would say Tess is one of the more self-aware ones! Hope that helps.(less)
Louise Candlish Yes, Ralph is feeling reflective (well, as much as he is able to) at the end and feels he wants to 'give something back'. The implication is that he a…moreYes, Ralph is feeling reflective (well, as much as he is able to) at the end and feels he wants to 'give something back'. The implication is that he and Leisha will soon see each other again when she moves into number 1 with her tricky new boyfriend. Will their odd little connection break down or will they get closer? Maybe work together or even have an affair?(less)

·  5,768 ratings  ·  1,015 reviews

Start your review of Those People
megs_bookrack
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-read
Let it be known, I am trash for Domestic Drama from Louise Candlish!

She has such a knack for examining the dark side of an otherwise mundane domestic landscape.

Additionally, really enjoy how she formats her stories. The use of mixed media, such as police interviews, newspaper articles, texts and emails, I absolutely love that.

This story is set on Lowland Way, a quiet residential street in a posh-suburban neighborhood. The envy of other neighborhoods, it seems like the perfect place to live
Holly  B
Ever had some dreadful neighbors? This couple just moved in and have disrupted the happy neighbors on Lowland Way...

When Darren and Jodie move in....all hell breaks lose. Can you hear the whispers...."I could kill him." Well, of course, they didn't mean it literally, did they?

The pages are filled with some very unlikable characters and a menacing tone. The new neighbors completely put the prior  "family-friendly" atmosphere and turned it on it's head.

The mystery element was strong and I was
Felicia
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
The development of the plot of this book unfolds at the breakneck pace of O.J.'s Bronco chase on the LA 405 freeway, only it's not nearly as entertaining.

I always keep notes as I'm reading a book...quotes, pivotal moments, etc. I only had one note on this book upon completion and that was...

page 113

...that's how long it took for something of the most miniscule bit of interesting to happen in this book, and even that something was so cursory I nearly drowned in it's wake.

The best descriptive word
Kaceey
3.5*
One downside of home ownership is the sadness of watching a beloved neighbor pack up and move on. Another is the accompanying anxiety of who will be moving in, just mere yards from you. (Cross your fingers!)
As I’m writing this I’m watching a for sale sign going up across the street and cringing!

The residents of Lowland Way neighborhood are in for a big shock when the epitome of all bad neighbors moves in at the end of the block. Doing all the standard bad neighbor things. Loud music at all
Norma
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Menacing, topsy-turvy, & brassy!

THOSE PEOPLE by LOUISE CANDLISH is an outlandish, eccentric, and wacky tale that definitely amused and entertained this reader. The fun here is deciphering who “Those People” are and seeing what lengths they will go to in order to protect their cushy neighborhood from those not so likeable new neighbors. Hmmm or maybe it’s the not so new residents?

LOUISE CANDLISH delivers a vivid, entertaining, and steady-paced read here with lots of unlikeable characters to eith
Kylie D
Lowland Way is a quiet, community minded street in South London. Until the Booth's move into number 1 that is. Playing loud music at all hours, noisy household renovations, not to mention the illegal car dealing business they are running from the house, taking up all the resident's parking spaces, the Booths are definitely not welcome in Lowland Way.

The neighbours are up in arms. Complaints go unheeded, well in fact they just escalate the problem. The once well manicured street has turned to a p
j e w e l s
May 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-bejeweled
TWO STARS

Evidently I'm not a good fit for this author. She writes with a curious detachment that makes me feel so unsympathetic to the characters and bored with the story. I felt this way with her previous novel Our House, except there were some elements of that plot I found interesting.

Ugggghhh. I can't say I found this plot anything but DULL. THOSE PEOPLE moves at a glacial pace and I just can't be bothered to even relate much to you in a review.

If you are a big Louise Candlish fan, then I'm
Debra
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Neighbors...Aren't they the worst? Imagine living next to "Those People” You know the ones who break down walls, don't follow the rules, park where they want, play loud music, etc. They suck, right? But what about the neighbors who think it is their job to police the neighborhood and make it their mission to make their unruly neighbors fall in line.

This was slow all the way through for me. Yes, it looks at behavior and social class. First impressions go a long way and the neighbors in this book
Deanna
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-releases, arcs
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

3.5 Stars

Having had my fair share of horrible neighbors, I was looking forward to reading this novel. As I’m writing this, I’m pretty sure my upstairs neighbors are all jumping up and down at the same time. I used to have a neighbor who complained that we made a lot of noise, but the times she said it was noisy we weren't even home. On top of that, SHE would play the same Sarah Mclachlan song over and over until four A.M. Al
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
3.5 Stars

What a great premise for a twisty, domestic thriller that explores the darker side of human social interaction in such an entertaining way. Things start off a bit slow here as we get to know both sides of “those people” and soon tempers are flaring and hostilities escalate and the characters are driven to their breaking points. At times my head was spinning with those twisty turns the story took and how I felt about the characters shifted as we started to see them conflicted and reactin
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Double float for double releases today because I do what I want and I don’t give out many 5 Stars.

Those People is the story of what happens when a picture perfect neighborhood like this . . . .

Is infiltrated by new people who have inherited one of the houses that happen to be a little more like this . . . .

What are the established residents to do????

“We’ve said we’ll give it till the end of the month and then . . . “

“And t
Carol
3.5 Stars.

THOSE PEOPLE.....WHAT A NIGHTMARE!

If you prefer flawed, unlikable characters, you've come to the right place.

The setting is south London on an exclusive street with homes averaging in the high six figures and neighbors who follow the rules of the council and politics of the people.....until Darren Booth & company move in.

Disruption is immediate as ear-piercing music blares....the used car business of junk-mobiles makes its appearance, and umpteen unfinished home renovations result

Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
It’s the type of block that everyone wants to live on.... When you live on Lowland Way, you’re one of the privileged few who are protected from the outside by your closely bonded neighborhood association. Until one day, new neighbors move in, and they don’t play by the same rules…

Those People is the 4th book by Louise Candlish that I’ve read and I love that she has such a unique style, voice, and feel to her books that is so quintessentially Candlish. I’d describe her books as neighborhood noir—
Susanne  Strong
Jun 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: edelweiss, buddy-read
3 Stars.

Neighbors. Everybody has them. As we all know, some are better than others.

For “Those People” who live on Lowland Way, they had always lived a lovely, peaceful existence, that is until Darren and Jodie moved into the neighborhood. Darren and Jodie are the kind of neighbors nobody wants. The loud, destructive kind. The ones everyone thoughtfully tries to “approach” - albeit unsuccessfully.

Well, drat. Except, of course, that it doesn’t end well. At all.

Imagine that.

“Those People” start
Carolyn
This is a deliciously wicked look at smug, middle class surburbia and what happens when someone who doesn't fit the mould moves in.

Lowland Way in South London is a seemingly perfect model of surburban harmony where the people are pleasant and friendly, houses and gardens are large and well maintained, the children go to good schools in the area and on Sundays the road is closed to traffic to allow them to play games together in the street. But then loud mouthed, uncouth Darren Booth inherits hi
marilyn
Those People is the first book I've read by Louise Candlish and I plan to read more of her books, especially Our House. This book starts out in beautiful, peaceful, well organized Lowland Way, where there are Sunday car-free play times in the street, the houses are gorgeous and well cared for, the community communicates and works together and it's as if this street is insulated from the dirt, noise, and commotion of "lesser" communities. Then Darren moves into the corner house he inherited from ...more
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved my first read from Louise Candlish! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Lowland Way is an idyllic place where everyone wants to live. Gorgeous homes, wonderful, welcoming neighbors, and children who can play together.

Darren and Jodie are the new neighbors, and they aren’t being neighborly. Their music is always blaring, they immediately start renovations and all that comes along with that, and they have a used car lot in their yard- no joke! Honestly, I would have a hard time if they were my neighbors! 😂

As a
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Let's be real. I've been reading this since May 13th. I'm never going to finish it. I'm bored...and I don't want to read it. Plus we know how we all feel about our neighbors....

Booksource: Netgalley in exchange for review
Jayme
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Darren and Jodie are the new neighbors on Lowland Way, and they DON’T FIT IN.

“Inconsiderate” would be an understatement.

In just 8 weeks, Darren will be dead. (Not a spoiler, you learn that on page 1)

Could one of his neighbors have been angry enough to murder him?

Great premise, but the execution was not working for me. The story was not holding my attention, and I was wishing I could read faster, so I could move on to my next book.

Finally, I just skimmed to the end, to find out who was “guil
Julie (JuJu)
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it
After reading this book, I can’t complain about any of the bad neighbors I’ve had!

One bad neighbor can disrupt an entire street, turning previously happy neighbors spiteful and vicious. I liked the author’s writing style, but not her final wrap up of this story. Which is frustrating, because I was really enjoying the book until the end. I’m not sure if it was her intention to leave an opening for a follow-up book, but the ending ruined this book for me. I do “Our House”, so I’ll probably give he
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: - Yes, we're aware that someone's been killed, of course we are. What a terrible way to die, absolutely horrific. My wife was one of the first on the scene. She's over the road right now at number two, Sissy Watkins' house - Naomi Morgan, she's called, you've probably spoken to her already?

- I personally wasn't here, no, I was playing tennis at the club on the other side of the high street...

ABOUT THIS BOOK: Lowland Way is the suburban dream. The houses are beautiful, the neighbors get
Mark
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Firstly, yes, you say it ‘THOSE people’ with a shuddery sneer of horror!!

Louise Candlish writes about houses, streets, communities and the people that live in them, her take on neighbours and ‘hoods is second to none, ‘those people’ continues this!

Lowland Way is perfect, an idyll in South London, not too far from ‘estates’ BUT far enough, the neighbours all get on, why they even have a ‘safe street sunday’ where cars lay idle and children play freely
Heaven
Until its turned into Hell
New neighbour
Diana | Book of Secrets
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lowland Way is the perfect neighborhood in every way. Family-oriented, quiet, upscale, beautiful homes and gardens. Perfect, that is, until those people move in and ruin everything.

Darren and Jodie simply aren't Lowland Way material. Their used car lot in the front yard, loud music at all hours, and endless remodeling have enraged the residents on the street. They make sure Darren and Jodie know they're not welcome, but what will it take to reclaim their perfect neighborhood?

THOSE PEOPLE was an
Ken
Jun 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The nice quiet suburban Lowland Way is shattered as the arrival of Darren and Jodie to the street soon annoy the rest of the neighbourhood with their antisocial behaviour.
From loud music to the array of cars parked around the house, the other residents vow to make them pay.
But it's not long until the feud reaches breaking point...

The book certainly captures how small incidents of annoying behaviour can soon great, especially as everyone of the street seems to be affected by Darren's actions.
From
Monica
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
If I had to describe this story in one word, it would be frustrating. Initially it moves at a snails pace. I enjoyed the writing and character development (although they were all infuriatingly snobbish). I finished the story because I did want to figure out “who did it” so the author was successful in hooking me.

Not a great read, but decent. Closer to 2.5 ⭐️ rounded up.

*Thanks to NetGalley and publishers for the advanced reader’s copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Darinda
A nice suburban neighborhood gets some new residents. The new neighbors are a disruption, and everyone seems to dislike them. When a shocking death occurs, the neighbors all seem to have something to hide.

Told with alternating points of view, where the various neighbors give their version of events. The story is told partly in flashback, with the police interviewing the neighbors and everyone recalling the events leading up to the suspicious death.

I enjoyed the premise, but was never fully drawn
Michael David
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
OUR HOUSE, by author Louise Candlish, was maybe one of the best books I've read in quite some time...the reveal of the very last sentence leaving me breathless. You can imagine my excitement when I received an ARC of THOSE PEOPLE, her newest thriller, to review.

This book deals with a community of people who live on Lowland Way. They are seemingly rich, do community events together, close their street on Sundays so the children can play on the street with no threats of danger. That all changes w
Mandy White
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read Our House by Louise Candlish last year I jumped at the chance to read Those People. And happy to say that it lived up to expectations. There are some questionable characters here, and not only the one that the book is focused on. I loved the way it is written in short chapters for multiple residents points of view and the start of the book goes back to weeks before the turning point. It is a very easy, quick read and is absolutely a book I recommend.

Welcome to Lowland Way - a quiet s
Stephanie
I loved Louise Candlish's domestic suspense novel Our House last summer with its dark humor, inventive premise, and jaw-dropping ending, so I was thrilled to receive a copy of her latest disturbing domestic suspense novel, Those People for review!

It's was a seemingly normal Saturday morning in Lowland Way, the upscale London neighborhood where the novel takes place, until tragedy strikes. An unknown character has been killed in a horrific disaster, and through police interviews and chapters told
Liz Barnsley
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Those People is typical Louise Candlish brilliant, a tale of toxic neighbours, one street brought down by one set of rather unlikable characters- but in this authors true style sometimes it's the supposed good guys whose smug attitude will make you crazy.

When Darren and Jodie move into a house on a previously united and peaceful road and promptly start a building project, a car sales lot and play their music at high levels pretty much 24 hours a day, their neighbours despair. But underneath the
Aussie Readers: S&S Australia ARC May Giveaways - closes 31st May! 17 64 Jun 26, 2019 03:29AM

• The Family Upstairs
  • Who Did You Tell?
  • The Catch
  • Through the Wall
'A superb thriller' Washington Post on OUR HOUSE

Hello! I'm the author of fourteen novels, including my brand-new release THE OTHER PASSENGER, a dark thriller about envy and deception set on the Thames river buses.

OUR HOUSE, a #1 bestseller in paperback, ebook and audio and won the British Book Awards 2019 Book of the Year - Crime & Thriller and is in development for a major TV series.

THOSE PEOPL

Articles featuring this book

Summer Reading is sponsored by Lifetime’s Book to Screen Movies. Who better to suggest a perfect summer read than some of the biggest nam...
“Sunday dawned bright and cheerful, oblivious to the fatal wounds of its predecessor,” 1 likes
“It was in her hand, as everyone’s was these days, as if phones were dialysis machines that could not be out of reach without life-threatening consequences.” 1 likes