Start by marking “Valley of Fear (Unicorns of Balinor, #3)” as Want to Read:
Valley of Fear (Unicorns of Balinor, #3)

Valley of Fear

(Unicorns of Balinor #3)

Sunchaser, mightiest of the Royal Unicorns of Balinor, has regained his horn. Now, Sunchaser and Princess Arianna must set out on a dangerous quest for the Royal Diadem. Without it, there is no hope of finding Arianna's parents, the king and queen.
Published July 1st 1999 by Scholastic Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Valley of Fear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Valley of Fear

Start your review of Valley of Fear (Unicorns of Balinor, #3)
Jamie
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, youth
Re-read Dec 2015
I originally read this years ago and my library did not have the next book. Now I have aquired it but before I continued I needed to rehash some details. I remember the end of this book was very busy but could not quite remember who did what and that is crucial in this one.

Another fun book for the series. So far I have really enjoyed this little series by Mary Stanton. This book continues to follow Arianna (goes by Ari) as she and the Sunchaser (whom she calls C
Amara Tanith
Well, here it is. The Balinor installment I’ve been dreading. Maybe six months, maybe a year ago, I started rereading this series. Then I got to page thirty-five of this mess… and started reading the most ludicrous, baffling, and infuriating pro-pseudo-vegetarianism paragraph I’ve ever come across.

There are a lot of reasons for becoming a vegetarian or a vegan. Maybe you have a moral issues with eating meat. That’s great. Maybe you, like me, have moral issues with the meat industry.
Marina
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Read this in the antho Unicorns of Balinor #1-3. Summary below of the anthology.
Finished book 1/10/19.

I have been reading this series out of order for a few years now. If I find the book at the library I get it. I love horses and the art work on this series is just great. =0)

I found this book at my local Russian pharmacy. They had created a small lending library in the store anyone can borough a book for free and then return it after you read it. Real great idea. So
Julia
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Series Overview

The books are easy reading and much easier understanding to beginning readers so they may be a much better choice for younger crowds for whom they are more directed to. Also the author Mary Stanton does have a beautiful way with words when she describes the Celestial Valley while her imagination has done a great job with the forming of her unicorns within the story.

This book started annoying me off at the beginning of it since there seems to be so much different is
Hal
May 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
I received this series of books as a child through some program where they sent me one each month, and I remember enjoying them. I'm currently going through my bookshelves rereading books that I'm ready to pass on to new owners.
The story isn't too original, a magic kingdom at war with a lost princess as the heroine, but there's nothing really wrong with it, especially since it is for children.
With Chase's horn returned in the last book, it is now time for the group to go retrieve the Princess'
Melissa
Nov 03, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: youth, 2000
I was given this book by my teacher back in 2000, so I gave it a try. I just could not get into it. I thought I would like it because I really enjoyed, and still enjoy, stories with animal protagonists. However, I was underwhelmed. I think it is mostly because at the time, I was really only interested in reading historical fiction, but whatever the reason, I was bored by this story. I know it's a children's book. But even at the time, I found it flat.
Jo Carter
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars overall. (I really need to get out of the habit of half starring...) Okay 2 stars! I've become quite generous with my ratings, but for a book I very nearly gave up on, I need to be harsher with. It just doesn't deserve to be a 3 star-er when I didn't enjoy it very often.

I don't have nostalgia for this series like other pre-teen horse novels I'm reading. I picked this up in my early years of high school but had too many other things to read instead of continuing this series.

This book
Katie
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-owned
Once again, a great edition to the series!

In this book, Arianna and Chase must find the royal scepter, and once it is in their possession, they will regain their full magical power as the "Bonded Pair," and Arianna will regain her memory entirely. In my review of the previous book, Sunchaser's Quest, I had complained that Arianna regained her memory too quickly. I now see that I was wrong, and that she only remembered some bits and pieces.

I appreciate that Stanton made Arianna reluctant to bec
Barbara
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-fantasy
I didn't have all the books in the series when I was a kid so this was the first time I read Valley of Fear. This series would make such a great game for young girls!
Lynne Page
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another good little read. I am really enjoying this little series.
Francais Parker
Guy-Hero: B
Love-Interests: N/A
Suspense: A+
Feels: A-

For you clean-readers: this book does NOT have mature content.
Nicole
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Kt
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is where the series really gets going! Arianna and crew are on the next leg of the journey to reclaim the throne of Balinor - acquiring the Scepter that was entrusted to her shortly before the Great Betrayal. There is much more suspense and action, as well as dark characters and the first hints of battle. Once again, Dr. Bohnes serves as a "well that was easy" device in the plot, but seeing as she is able to do magic, it isn't totally unrealistic in the construct of the story. I do wis ...more
Mari Parkin
I thought this was a good book because it was exciting and had a lot of misteriousness in it. I liked how at the end of the book the resolve everything and don't just leave you guessing on what will happen next. I chose this book because I like unicorns and fiction books, it looked like it would be interesting and have exciting experiences in it. I thought that the theme was important to the story because otherwise the unicorns probably wouldn't have made it to where they ended up. I liked how t ...more
Hannah
Jun 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
As you can tell from the title of the 3rd installment, the tension has been upped several notches and the events that unfold sound increasingly sinister. Stanton's masterful hand ensures we feel the force of the Shifter's evil and the pressure on Ari as she discovers more and more about her past. The change of atmosphere from the more relaxed one of the opening two books is refreshing. I must say Lori is an absolute pain, though. The books would have been way better without her constant whinging ...more
Brayden
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This series definitely gets better as it goes on. A wonderful series for children, I wish I had read it when I was younger, I would have enjoyed it so much. As an adult I find everything to be so easy and simple but thats how children's books tend to go.
Julie
Feb 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Hmm, it's moving along a little better now that the author has settled into the story a bit. I really need to find a list somewhere of how many of these there are, so I know what I am committing to tracking down and reading. :p
Twyla
Nov 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: auryn-s-books
Amy
Dec 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
This review is going to be short and sweet, much like the book itself. It was a great continuation of the series with a great cliffhanger for an ending :) Loved this series as a kid and I continue to love it (probably enough to force it upon my future children)
Zola
Nov 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Zola by: Sarah H
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed it! The ending was pretty abrupt, but it's YA lit so I won't hold the ending against it too much.
Caitlin
Biased because I read the series first as a 10-year-old. I was feeling nostalgic.
Richard Blanchard
Jan 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book kept me going from the first page!
Claire
Dec 10, 2009 added it
ONE OF BEST BOOK SERIES EVR- below molly moon tho!
Vinayaka Hegde
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An awesome book with breathtaking moments and very good imagination.
Jessica
Dec 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I really like this series. It's magical and the princess is very active.
Inkheartgirl
I love this book, I love a good book that can keep me interseted
Carolann
Sep 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Keep it comin'!!!
Rose
rated it it was ok
Mar 27, 2018

• Into the Land of the Unicorns
  • Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)
  • Song of the Wanderer
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #5)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #2)
  • The Mountain's Call (White Magic, #1)
  • Moonsilver (The Unicorn's Secret, #1)
  • Turnabout
  • Heir Apparent (Rasmussem Corporation, #2)
  • Beauty and the Beast: Lost in a Book
  • Flush
  • Wrath of the Dragon King (Dragonwatch, #2)
  • Sherwood
  • Time Cat
  • Deep Wizardry
  • Stones of My Accusers
Mary Stanton was born in Florida and grew up in Japan and Hawaii, after which she returned to the United States and received a B.A. in Philosophy and Literature from the University of Minnesota.

Stanton’s career as a fiction writer began with the publication of her first novel, The Heavenly Horse from the Outermost West, in 1984. A beast fable similar in tone and theme to Watership Down, it was p

Unicorns of Balinor (8 books)
  • The Road to Balinor (Unicorns of Balinor, #1)
  • Sunchaser's Quest (Unicorns of Balinor, #2)
  • By Fire, by Moonlight (Unicorns of Balinor, #4)
  • Search for the Star (Unicorns of Balinor, #5)
  • Secrets of the Scepter (Unicorns of Balinor, #6)
  • Night of the Shifter's Moon (Unicorns of Balinor, #7)
  • Shadows Over Balinor (Unicorns of Balinor, #8)