Start by marking “Search for the Star (Unicorns of Balinor, #5)” as Want to Read:
Search for the Star (Unicorns of Balinor, #5)

Search for the Star

(Unicorns of Balinor #5)

Deep in the lair at Blue Mountain, Naytin the dragon safely guards the Indigo Star. The jewel's magic has always protected the indigo herd. Until now.

The evil Shifter has captured the Indigo Star and gained control over the band of unicorns. As the Shifter's darkness creeps through Balinor, now not even the unicorns are safe.

The indigo unicorns are fading, and so are their

Published November 1st 1999 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Search for the Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Search for the Star

Amara Tanith
Despite what I said in my By Fire, By Moonlight review, the plot of this came back to me very quickly as I started reading it--though the fact that I so completely forgot it offers quite the hint into what kind of impression it made on me when I first read the book.

In Search for the Star, Princess Arianna of Balinor has recovered her Scepter and passed the trial by fire and the ordeal by moonlight, so things are seemingly back to normal in Balinor. Seemingly. Because the oh-so-very-evil Shifter
Kim
Feb 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-to-kids
Five down...3 (?) to go. Seriously if my 7 year old daughter didn't adore these books, I would never turn another page. There are gaping plot holes. It's like the story was written with no plan. We're halfway through the series now, you'd think there be a general direction by now. Instead it's a muddled mess. That all being said, my 7 year old thinks these books are awesome and takes no notice of the glaring shortcomings.
Barbara
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
We see more of Balinor in book 5, and are faced with the interesting dilemma of Atalanta's magic fading. Reading these as an adult, you have to just put on your 7-year-old cap and leave judgement at the door. These are sweet, horsey stories, for girls who've just started reading, and Ari's character is a strong enough role model in my opinion. Lori still makes me chuckle.
Lynne Page
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
The series continues, and the characters continue to develop. Even Lori is no longer so one-sided and annoying.
Julia
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Series Overview

The books are easy reading and much easier understanding to beginning readers so they may be a much better choice for younger crowds for whom they are more directed to. Also the author Mary Stanton does have a beautiful way with words when she describes the Celestial Valley while her imagination has done a great job with the forming of her unicorns within the story.

So far in my opinion this is probably one of the better books within the series but still a plain read for me. Ar
Nicole
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Caitlin Theroux
The ease and speed with which Ari overcomes her obstacles and minor things such as deep wounds, exhaustion, hurricane-force storms, and fields of burning earth, the trips into "danger" may as well be deemed a skip through lollipops and rainbows. (In a near literal sense, it already is.) Princess Arianna is a Mary Sue to be reckoned with, which is saying something, considering I've read and ripped apart Twilight and The Hunger Games.

Perhaps the series may improve the further I reread; the Shifter
Hal
May 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Children who like horses
I received this series of books as a child through some program where they sent me one each month, and I remember enjoying them. I'm currently going through my bookshelves rereading books that I'm ready to pass on to new owners.
The story isn't too original, a magic kingdom at war with a lost princess as the heroine, but there's nothing really wrong with it, especially since it is for children.
There are worse books for a young reader, but there are also better. If you or your child is a horse l
Kt
Aug 18, 2014 rated it liked it
I have now made it through 5 of the 8 Balinor books! I clearly remember the 4th book being my favorite, and the 5th being my least favorite...and that still stands. This one was the hardest to get through so far, and I feel like things could have moved a little quicker. Stanton seems to enjoy leaving the main action of the story until the last 30 or so pages, often making the build up monotonous. I do remember loving the 6th installment though, so we will see what happens.
Hannah
Jun 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Absolutely loved the 5th installment! It has been a long time since I've read it, but I can still remember how vivid and exciting the writing was. Ari's adventures are un-put-down-able, and the meeting with the unicorns of the rainbow was amazing. All those colours, different personalities and characteristics so wonderfully described. Stanton has a wonderful, captivating style.
Josephine (biblioseph)
So they find the star, right? (In this one, I think) It reminds me of the star that Galadriel gives Frodo... and that is all I can think of when I think of this star.
Karen
Jun 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Talks about team work and having each others back in protecting.Also about fighting for what you believe in and staying determined. Slow at times but mostly enjoyable.
Claire
Dec 10, 2009 added it
ONE OF BEST BOOK SERIES EVR- below molly moon tho! REALLY KL COVER!!!
Caitlin
Jul 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, will-read-again
Biased because I read the series first as a 10-year-old. I was feeling nostalgic.
Julie
Mar 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: kids who love unicorns
A little better than the previous installment. Would have loved this when I was 8.
Richard Blanchard
Jan 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
ah part five and the old mare, if you can't tell I have all 8 books!
Johanna Hardy
Keala Abernethy
Jan 27, 2013
Noa
Apr 18, 2014
  • The Jewel Princesses and the Missing Crown (The Jewel Kingdom Super Special, #1)
  • The Unicorn Treasury: Stories, Poems, and Unicorn Lore
  • Song of the Unicorns (Avalon: Web of Magic #7)
  • Moonsilver (The Unicorn's Secret, #1)
  • Swept Away (The Secret of the Unicorn Queen, #1)
  • Dark Moon (Firebringer, #2)
  • Sun Blind (The Secret of the Unicorn Queen, #2)
Mary Stanton was born in Florida and grew up in Japan and Hawaii, after which she returned to the United States and received a B.A. in Philosophy and Literature from the University of Minnesota.

Stanton’s career as a fiction writer began with the publication of her first novel, The Heavenly Horse from the Outermost West, in 1984. A beast fable similar in tone and theme to Watership Down, it was pub

Unicorns of Balinor (8 books)
  • The Road to Balinor (Unicorns of Balinor, #1)
  • Sunchaser's Quest (Unicorns of Balinor, #2)
  • Valley of Fear (Unicorns of Balinor, #3)
  • By Fire, by Moonlight (Unicorns of Balinor, #4)
  • Secrets of the Scepter (Unicorns of Balinor, #6)
  • Night of the Shifter's Moon (Unicorns of Balinor, #7)
  • Shadows Over Balinor (Unicorns of Balinor, #8)