Start by marking “Sunchaser's Quest (Unicorns of Balinor, #2)” as Want to Read:
Sunchaser's Quest (Unicorns of Balinor, #2)

Sunchaser's Quest (Unicorns of Balinor #2)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  2,411 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Returning to Balinor, Princess Arianna finds that a dark presence has invaded the land, and she must search her failing memory for the knowledge of how to heal her unicorn, Sunchaser, after its horn was broken in battle.
Published 1999 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Sunchaser's Quest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sunchaser's Quest

Miranda
Feb 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Children who like unicorns, fantasy and strong female heroines
I was obsessed with these books in elementary school. They're great for children, especially young girls, who like adventure and fantasy. Unfortunately, they're really short, just over 100 pages.

For book swappers: Note that this is the second book in the series. I don't have the first. The cover is ever so slightly worn. There is a hot chocolate stain on the edges of the last 20 pages, but it doesn't extend onto the page beyond a millimeter and there is no warping from the moisture.
Nicole
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Stephanne Stacey
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have been looking in my usual stops for slightly used copies of this series and struggle. No wonder why. I will keep my copies as well. This is still a great adventure book and follows the feel of the first book. Characters are developing nicely.

This could have been a novel. There were time I wished it had slowed down and more meat put into the story, but I understand the target reading audience and know that would not work.

Recommend this to all young readers (even the boys).
Hannah
Jun 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Loved it as kid, and it'd be great to reread it if I could. Sunchaser is every child's dream - a strong, shiny unicorn with awesome powers. Chase and Arianna makes a great pair, and we're given more of a glimpse into the world of Balinor than the first book.

What we see makes us want to know even more, and I couldn't wait to lay my hands on the third installment so that I could find out how the adventure continues.
Shemi
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Mary Stanton did an amazing job on Unicorns Of Balinor Sunchasers Quest. It was an amazing fiction story. I thought it was really entertaining. I liked that it kept putting in suspense and had me wanting more. One thing that i didn't like was the ending i felt it wasnt complete. Overall I would reccomend this book highly to others.
Pauline
Dec 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I just started this book. So far, I LOVE IT!!! <33
Lynne Page
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm really enjoying this little series.
Twyla
Aug 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: auryn-s-books
Sunchaser has lost his horn but got it back and thought there was no more quests.there was one more it was going home.my favorite part was the whole story or book.7yo Auryn
Brayden
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Quite a bit better than the first one.
Zola
Nov 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A nice, light fantasy read!
Barbara
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Once again, when in a reading slump, returning to some childhood favourites can be the way out and up, and so much innocent fun in the process. It's interesting, rereading childhood favourites provides you with a uniquely non-judgemental experience, you remember why you loved them as a kid and overlook the problems you notice as an adult. It's completely different to reading a children's book you never read as a kid. Ah... unicorns. What magical, beautiful, bliss :D
Francais Parker

Villains: B
Girl Power: B+
Suspense: B+
Feels: B+

For you clean-readers: this book does NOT have mature content.
Katie
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-owned, my-books
*This review contains spoilers*

This book was a great sequel to the Unicorns of Balinor series. Arianna continues her adventures, and this time she must restore Chase's horn before he loses his ability to speak and communicate with her. This dynamic duo must unfortunately bring Lori, who still complains continually. One of my favorite characters is Atalanta, the Dreamspeaker unicorn who guides Arianna. I liked that the author put limitations on her powers. She can't make Arianna's memory come bac
Julia
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Series Notes:

The books are easy reading and much easier understanding to beginning readers so they may be a much better choice for younger crowds for whom they are more directed to. Also the author Mary Stanton does have a beautiful way with words when she describes the Celestial Valley while her imagination has done a great job with the forming of her unicorns within the story.

This book wasn't as repetitive and bland as the original book but I still cannot seem to get myself interested withi
Kt
Jul 22, 2014 rated it liked it
The journey continues! The last book left off with Arianna, Chase, Lori, and Linc just arriving in Balinor, about to set off on a quest they don't even know they are destined for. This book is truly the beginning of Arianna's journey of self discovery. She is figuring out who she is and was before the "accident" and what her responsibilities are to the land of Balinor. I had forgotten that Dr. Bohnes shows up halfway through to deliver the ruby safely to our little crew (I even said out loud "we ...more
Hal
May 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Children who like horses
I received this series of books as a child through some program where they sent me one each month, and I remember enjoying them. I'm currently going through my bookshelves rereading books that I'm ready to pass on to new owners.
The story isn't too original, a magic kingdom at war with a lost princess as the heroine, but there's nothing really wrong with it, especially since it is for children.
The second book begins Ari, the heroin, and Lori, the most annoying brat I can imagine, time in Balinor
Amara Tanith
Twenty one pages into reading this, and my brain’s already been broken. What did it? This did:

When unicorns laugh (or, as Ari discovered later, sneeze, cough, hum, sing, or cry), they laugh through their horns.

Wut. Seriously, what? They sneeze through their horns? Their horns are an amalgamation of respiratory organs, a larynx, and motherfucking tear ducts? I just… what?

But ignoring the utter derpiness that creeps up every now and then… not a bad fantasy installment. Great for children who haven
Chelsy
This one was really good, up until that last words that were said. I mean, we all hate that little brat who was dragged along with Ari, but come on, her sudden change in character was so obnoxious, I guess, that I didn't want to continue on to read the rest! That was three years ago. Maybe four. Anyway I had lost all interest completely, and I think I still have. Maybe when I have absolutely nothing else to read, I'll continue the story.
Azreena Shah
Oct 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, fantasy
Read this when I was a child. Didn't really understand the story because I didn't read the first book so I stopped halfway. I could tell that it's a beautiful story but what could I do? None of my friends had the first book and I couldn't find it at any local bookstore. Anyway, I love the cover art! It looks vintage.
Jessica
Dec 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Read the first book years and years ago. I think it's wonderful for princess-obsessed girls to read things like this. Ari is an active character who isn't waiting around for a prince to save the day. Plus, unicorns.
Julie
Feb 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: unicorn fans
Second book in the Unicorns of Balinor series. I would have loved these books when I was 7. As it is, I think book 2 is better than the first one. If I happen to come across any more of these I'll probably zip through them.
Shannon
First large book I ever read!!
Caitlin
Jul 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Biased because I read the series first as a 10-year-old. I was feeling nostalgic.
Claire
Dec 10, 2009 marked it as to-read
i have it sitting on my self- I JUST NEED TO READ IT!! :D
Rachael
May 10, 2014 rated it liked it
This kind of writing no longer appears to me. Ah well. I loved this series a long time ago but now I can barely finish the third book I have.
Emily
Apr 29, 2013
Dierdre
Oct 24, 2013
  • The Unicorn Treasury: Stories, Poems, and Unicorn Lore
  • Moonsilver (The Unicorn's Secret, #1)
  • Song of the Unicorns (Avalon: Web of Magic #7)
  • The Jewel Princesses and the Missing Crown (The Jewel Kingdom Super Special, #1)
  • Dark Moon (Firebringer, #2)
Mary Stanton was born in Florida and grew up in Japan and Hawaii, after which she returned to the United States and received a B.A. in Philosophy and Literature from the University of Minnesota.

Stanton’s career as a fiction writer began with the publication of her first novel, The Heavenly Horse from the Outermost West, in 1984. A beast fable similar in tone and theme to Watership Down, it was pub
More about Mary Stanton

Unicorns of Balinor (8 books)
  • The Road to Balinor (Unicorns of Balinor, #1)
  • Valley of Fear (Unicorns of Balinor, #3)
  • By Fire, by Moonlight (Unicorns of Balinor, #4)
  • Search for the Star (Unicorns of Balinor, #5)
  • Secrets of the Scepter (Unicorns of Balinor, #6)
  • Night of the Shifter's Moon (Unicorns of Balinor, #7)
  • Shadows Over Balinor (Unicorns of Balinor, #8)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Otherkin
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)