Start by marking “By Fire, by Moonlight (Unicorns of Balinor, #4)” as Want to Read:
By Fire, by Moonlight (Unicorns of Balinor, #4)

By Fire, by Moonlight (Unicorns of Balinor #4)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  1,200 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Ari and her unicorn, Sunchaser, have been sent back through the Gap to Glacier River Farm—far from Balinor. Now the Gap is blocked. With time running out, Ari must embark on a perilous journey across the Sixth Sea.
Published September 1st 1999 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about By Fire, by Moonlight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By Fire, by Moonlight

Amara Tanith
More mediocre fantasy from Stanton. In this one, Ari, Chase, and Lori have to deal with the consequences of taking the Scepter through the Gap. Because apparently that's a Thing That is Very Bad and upsets the balance of magic in the universe. And for some reason it means that Entia gets to issue Ari two challenges.

This is actually the last book in the series that I remember; as a matter of fact, I thought this was the last or second-to-last book in the series. I suppose that really goes to show
Jamie
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: youth, fantasy
*Review in Progress*
3 1/2 stars
Picks up immediately after book 3. With Dill, Basil and Lincoln having no idea what just happened to their Princess. Ari, Chase and Lori are back "home" at the farm and are trying to find a way back.
I found the scepter to be strange. It has personality but doesn't at other times it seems. We also get a new character intro! Lots of fire in this book (literally). I wish Toby was in this book more and there is a bit of a confusing timeline involving Lincoln that I s
Katie
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great book in the Unicorns of Balinor series!

Ari and Chase have been thrown through the Gap with the Royal Scepter and must meet 2 challenges to restore the balance of magic. From a race through a fiery pit to a battle with evil merpeople, this girl and her unicorn are in for some serious adventures! Stanton was really clever to add some magical challenges to her series. It spices things up a bit. She continues to do a great job in describing Ari's worries and fears, as it makes her mai
Kest Schwartzman
Feb 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
This isn't even the kind of terrible I will remember having read a week from now.
Lynne Page
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Still enjoying this series.
Julia
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Series Overview

The books are easy reading and much easier understanding to beginning readers so they may be a much better choice for younger crowds for whom they are more directed to. Also the author Mary Stanton does have a beautiful way with words when she describes the Celestial Valley while her imagination has done a great job with the forming of her unicorns within the story.

This book in the Balinor series doesn't back-up like some of the previous books so if you are unfamiliar with the
Nicole
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Kt
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Bam. Four down, four to go, and this is definitely the best installment in the series so far. And now I'm going to take a short Unicorn intermission and read something for adults for a few days. Ari and Chase have to face the most thrilling leg of their journey up until this point - the trial by fire and the ordeal by moonlight - in order to restore the balance of magic. This book also brings in some new characters like Finn and the Scepter (who is hilarious and just so over everything). As alwa ...more
Karen
Jun 30, 2013 rated it liked it
It was good towards the end cause it finally got to the exciting stuff.
If you catch it in the book it talks about Basil and Dill which is funny because in reality those are spices. When i read that i automatically visualized the spices. It was hard to imagine them to be two foxes.
As in the other book they repeat what the Three levels of magic are.
Some of the obstacles they endured seemed the same as the other books. Talks about finding balance in the world and how to get it by staying determine
Hal
May 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
I received this series of books as a child through some program where they sent me one each month, and I remember enjoying them. I'm currently going through my bookshelves rereading books that I'm ready to pass on to new owners.
The story isn't too original, a magic kingdom at war with a lost princess as the heroine, but there's nothing really wrong with it, especially since it is for children.
There are worse books for a young reader, but there are also better. If you or your child is a horse l
Hannah
Jun 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
A lovely read. Ari finally meets Finn! Sparkes fly, and things get even more interesting, as we meet new characters, and enemies of Ari and Chase become increasingly sinister. The race between Chase and the black was brilliantly exciting, a great touch.

Stanton's descriptions of the moonlit beach and water makes it sound deliciously like a remote, tropical island, and the contrast between the excitement of the race and the serene surroundings of the beach is startingly vivid.
Alexis Masters
Lower rating because it takes Forever before the first challenge gets issued, and then the second one comes and goes in a matter of a few pages. When I read this one as a kid, I didn’t even realize it had happened and I finished the book still waiting for the second challenge.
Pauline
Feb 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS BOOK EVEN THOUGH I HAVEN'T READ IT!!!!!!!!
Twyla
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: auryn-s-books
Heather
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
these books are amazing! i've read them so much i had to get protective sleeves for them! too bad the series ends and no more were written.
Shelbi Blackman
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-reads
Still takes me to where princess Ari and Chase are. One of my favorite books, haven't read it in a long time but still could feel as if i was there.
Caitlin
Jul 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, will-read-again
Biased because I read the series first as a 10-year-old. I was feeling nostalgic.
Richard Blanchard
Jan 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Ooh I remember this one so well one of my faves in the series
Kate Sechrist
May 13, 2013
Lucy
Feb 06, 2018
  • The Unicorn Treasury: Stories, Poems, and Unicorn Lore
  • Song of the Unicorns (Avalon: Web of Magic #7)
  • Moonsilver (The Unicorn's Secret, #1)
  • The Jewel Princesses and the Missing Crown (The Jewel Kingdom Super Special, #1)
Mary Stanton was born in Florida and grew up in Japan and Hawaii, after which she returned to the United States and received a B.A. in Philosophy and Literature from the University of Minnesota.

Stanton’s career as a fiction writer began with the publication of her first novel, The Heavenly Horse from the Outermost West, in 1984. A beast fable similar in tone and theme to Watership Down, it was pub
More about Mary Stanton

Unicorns of Balinor (8 books)
  • The Road to Balinor (Unicorns of Balinor, #1)
  • Sunchaser's Quest (Unicorns of Balinor, #2)
  • Valley of Fear (Unicorns of Balinor, #3)
  • Search for the Star (Unicorns of Balinor, #5)
  • Secrets of the Scepter (Unicorns of Balinor, #6)
  • Night of the Shifter's Moon (Unicorns of Balinor, #7)
  • Shadows Over Balinor (Unicorns of Balinor, #8)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Otherkin
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)