Start by marking “I Married My Best Friend to Shut My Parents Up” as Want to Read:
I Married My Best Friend to Shut My Parents Up

I Married My Best Friend to Shut My Parents Up

A brand-new yuri manga about falling in love AFTER marriage, by the creator of NTR – Netsuzou Trap!

Morimoto, a young professional woman in Japan, is tired of fending off her parents’ questions about her being single. They want her to marry a man and settle down, and they’ll insist on nitpicking her choice of groom to death. In an unexpected move, another woman in the
Published June 11th 2019 by Seven Seas

To ask other readers questions about I Married My Best Friend to Shut My Parents Up, please sign up.
ღFox Try deleting the book from your Kindle device or app, then downloading it again from the Kindle Cloud.

Start your review of I Married My Best Friend to Shut My Parents Up
Romie
I mean, if you need something cute & gay, that's perfect manga for you (3.5)
Shala
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This Yuri manga is super sweet!
I loved reading about these two friends. Morimoto is being hounded by her parents to get married to a man and start a family. She wants to focus on her career. Her dear friend Kouhai suggests that they have a fake marriage. She needs somewhere to live while her place is getting renovated, so its a win win.
Kouhai has been open to Morimoto about being a lesbian for years.
I loved this sweet story of 2 women falling in love! Please give it a read!
Aleksandra
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
cute and gay.
RTC
Lauren
Sep 14, 2019 rated it liked it

I really liked this manga and appreciated the shunning of societal expectations depicted - the characters were very cute (especially Hana) and I was also fixated my Morimoto’s huge boobs!!!

More to come
camille
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: english, manga
wish it was longer :((
C
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is so cute!!! This should have another volume. This deserves another volume!!!
Maria Morey
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: bought-2019
I love fake dating so I was psyched for this book to come out. It was super fun and flirty. My only disappointment is that I wish there had been more. The premise gives enough that it could have been fleshed out better over a few volumes and then we could have gotten more from each character and see their relationship grow. As is, it feels like it’s missing something. Still, it’s a fun and fluffy read and a nice representation of yuri in manga that isn’t sexualizing women for men.
Abi
4.5 stars. This was quite cute and sweet, and I really enjoyed it. I'd reread it.
Bernard
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun romance story that needed more than one volume.
Artemis
"First comes marriage - then comes love!"

A surprisingly decent and sweet standalone yuri manga, that isn't trashy, het gazey or highly inappropriate concerning consent issues. I guess it helps that it's from 2018-19.

'I Married My Best Friend to Shut My Parents Up' is self-explanatory, yet its title is only the start of it. It is about the growth and confidence boost of Machi Morimoto, a young independent woman in Japan, who is just going through the motions of being smart and relatively
Helen West
Aug 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm still fairly new to manga and this was a recommendation because it's cute and gay. Which it was. I'm more used to stories with a bit more meat to them, which is maybe why I felt a bit unfulfilled when I'd finished it. This was quite superficial, but in the light and fluffy way. If you want a sweet, 30-minute read, then I'd recommend it :)
EMi Spicer
Just fine

This was cute, and I liked the art, but there wasn’t enough to it for me. It’s very fluffy and pleasant! I need more substantial stories than this, though.
Anna
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super cute! A sweet, gentle romance between gals being pals.
Katherine
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an adorable story, but I want to read more! A lot of good character work for a very abrupt ending.
Miss Susan
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtqia
cute! it's too bad this is a one shot, this is the kind of lowkey tropeyness i'd happily read for a half dozen volumes

Mauri
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mangaandorcomics
A mixed bag - let’s start with the fact that the English title is misleading. In The Japanese version, the word translated as “best friend” is kouhai, which is more typically translated as “underclassman” or “junior”. The sempai/kouhai (upperclassman/underclassman) relationship is a popular subject in manga, anime, and J-drama, partially because of its versatility. You can have sempai/kouhai at school, at work, in your martial arts or sports club, and the relationship can be flexed to ...more
Courtney
3.5 I think.

WIP: (view spoiler)
Natalie Cannon
Dec 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq-manga
I purchased I Married My Best Friend to Shut My Parents Up from the bookstore on a whim, mostly as a special treat for myself. I have heard of Kodama through her vaguely infamous series, NTR, and it was nice to support an author creating queer content with content I knew I had a higher chance of liking.

Machi Morimoto has never really thought about what she wants out of life. She knows what is expected of her: she is to go to school, get good grades, get a good job, get married, and have
Katja
3,5 stars. This was cute and fluffy. There could've been a bit more about Hana and Machi's background but since this is short oneshot, it's understandable there's limited focus on that.
Hana's easy-going attitude and openness about her sexuality were refreshing.
Art is nice.
There is also unrelated short story about a sports schoolgirls which is ok but it's weaker than the main story.
Amy!
The premise was a little off putting at first: presumably straight woman pretending to marry her gay bff because her parents won't leave her alone about getting married, but as the story progresses and Morimoto starts to develop feelings for Hana, it was pretty sweet. The ending felt a little abrupt, but mostly, I just wanted to see their relationship develop more.
Mily Rivera Sartorius
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I need another volume
Ekene
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it
After a few misses with recent manga, this was a good change of pace. I found it to really cute, fast read
Mohamed Ahmed
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
cute and sweet Short Manga
Schnekk
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Not a deep exploration of anything, but enjoyable in places.
Katelyn
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was super cute!!
Kittyolsen
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lesbian, romance
Literally my only complaint is that there isn’t more of it.

It’s very sweet and feels surprisingly real for such a cheesy concept. The artwork is pretty, the characters are solid; there’s some nice character growth and it’s quite lovely.

There is some homophobia from Morimoto’s parents, but she shuts them down or removes herself from the situation quickly and it doesn’t feel like it’s being used for unnecessary drama.

Definitely going to reread this!
Aaron
Stubborn characters and gentle humor occupy the most real estate of this particular subgenre of yuri manga. Perfect for an afternoon read on public transportation but not so much for those eager to add to their personal library of queer-leaning comics, I MARRIED MY BEST FRIEND. . . is shallow and fun. And while there's plenty of room for the author to flex more strongly into interpersonal drama, the hassles of the story and the needs of the characters rarely move so deeply as to demand it.

Michi
Ruthsic
Warnings: homophobia & parental abuse

Rep: Both main characters are sapphic

A young woman, tired of her parents' constant nagging about getting her married, agrees to her best friend's idea to get married, just to tick them off. Of course, it is the law of fake dating/marriage tropes that they have to fall in love, and yes, that is what happens. On the way, though, they have to navigate homophobic parents, light jealousy, and some insecurities.

Machi comes across as a cold and disinterested,
Alexandra
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it

i really liked this one and i want to read more of kodama naoko’s work. this wasn’t sugary sweet like most of the yuri manga i’ve been reading this past year. it was refreshing in that sense.

and even though the plot was rather ridiculous (it’s pretty much summed up in the title—although it’s not her best friend she marries, but a friend who has been in love with her since high school), it was still sort of an “adult-y” story. the main character basically is a workaholic who always lived to make
Edward
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Decent read. I didn't read it for so long even after I bought the book due to the title. The first 3 chapters went together while the last one seemed like an entirely different book. The parts not of chapters but of extras after it went back to the first 3 chapters too.I am unsure why it got that weird chapter 4 but besides for that 1 last chapter it was a good book about a girl who wanted her parents to stop setting her up with men they approved of so she married her best friend. She then got ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Whenever Our Eyes Meet...: A Women's Love Anthology
  • Yuri Life
  • Beauty and the Beast Girl
  • Eve and Eve
  • Citrus, Vol. 10 (Citrus #10)
  • Killing Me!, Vol. 1
  • 極主夫道 1 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the Househusband, #1)
  • O Maidens in Your Savage Season 1
  • しまなみ誰そ彼 2 [Shimanami Tasogare 2]
  • Roadqueen: Eternal Roadtrip to Love
  • Yuri Is My Job! 1
  • Bloom into You, Vol. 6
  • Transparent Light Blue
  • 古見さんは、コミュ症です。volume 1 (Komi-san wa Komyushou Desu., #1)
  • しまなみ誰そ彼 3 [Shimanami Tasogare 3]
  • しまなみ誰そ彼 1 [Shimanami Tasogare 1]
  • Kase-San and Cherry Blossoms
  • Now Loading...!
Name (in native language): コダマナオコ (KODAMA Naoko)
Circle: Monaco Meister (モナコマイスター)
Zodiac: Scorpio