Start by marking “The Movement of Crowns (Movement of Crowns #1)” as Want to Read:
The Movement of Crowns (Movement of Crowns #1)

The Movement of Crowns

(Movement of Crowns #1)

Is it the perfect or the worst time for the kingdom tochange?

The nation of Diachona rejoices as the kings daughter and heir, Constance, turns twenty. Yet, not everyone approves of Constances desire to sit on the National Council: a Council run solely by men.

Whats more, oppressive threats from a neighboring, powerful empire are rousing the peoples fears. Amid rumors of
Published (first published September 18th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Movement of Crowns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Movement of Crowns

Start your review of The Movement of Crowns (Movement of Crowns #1)
N.N. Light
A refreshing, almost fairy tale like, fantasy where royalty, political jockeying and warring neighbours vie for control. There's a slow-burning romance, too, which I enjoyed. I hate to say it, but I was so disappointed when it ended. Too short! I wanted more, which isn't a bad thing for a series. Can't wait to read more from Keels.

My Rating: 4.5 stars
Loretta Marchize
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so it took me longer than normal to read this book because yesterday my internet suddenly went away and it turns out I had to restart my laptop. (silly me hadn't downloaded this and was reading it in my email, which takes internet)
SO onto the review.
First of all, pg 86- pg 94ish was just a whirlwind of emotions and so so crazy. It was pulled off amazingly, good job, Nadine.
So the plot was really good. At first, it moved a bit slowly, but it wasn't a bad slow.
The one thing is that there
Kellyn Roth
It was refreshing to read a fantasy with no magic in it. I enjoyed it a lot, especially since Im not a fan of dark magic or high/epic fantasy. I couldnt put it down, quite honestly, because, even without the actual thing, Nadine C. Keels managed to make this an absolutely magical story.

In general, The Movement of Crowns was a pretty good book. It was an novella, but I feel like there could and should have been more, which is why it didnt get five stars.

I wish the plot had been slowed down, and
Jonel
Oct 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The mythical land in which this story takes place is quite well developed. I could visualise it throughout and wanted to go there, were I a man of course. I couldnt help but picture the scenery and the world as a whole. Keels descriptions were well put together and fit very well with the flow of the story.

I found the characters in this novel to be quite superficial. Not only in personality, but in development as well. Because of this they were next to impossible to identify with making it hard
Elodie (Readable Mélange)
For someone so interested in politics as myself, it's funny I've never really read a novel where the focus is politics. Until now, that is, because The Movement of Crowns is largely a political fantasy. This made it a slow-moving book, which is not a bad thing (I've been super tired lately and it made me feel relaxed :P ); the only problem I had with that was the beginning was that it failed to draw me in immediately. I personally don't judge a book by a slow beginning - luckily for me in this ...more
Stella Potts
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful fantasy about kingdoms, Kings and a Princess. Also woven in is a beautiful romance between Princess Constance and Commander Alexander. In the midst of the threat of war and devastation a wonderful thing is taking place as Princess Constance comes of age. You are sure to enjoy this quick read and will want to follow it up with the next book in the series.

I won this book in a contest with no requirement for a review. All views are my own.
Raelee Carpenter
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it

Ms. Keels is a unique and talented voice in fiction. Her work is not only lyrical and lovely, it always affords the reader unexpected wisdom and depth.
Debbie Scott
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GREAT HISTORICAL ROMANCE STORY!

The characters and storyline were superb. The reading of this book was definitely worth the time. Constance and Alexander are a beautiful couple, but I was not looking for an HEA with the report of his death. Thank heavens, you had more in store for us. Thank you, Danny Scott.
Erica Nicole Pait
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic Fantasy

This book captures the heart and imagination with its vivid imagery and vivacious main character. While a few long kisses do occur the general nature of this book is sweet, with the perfect dash of fantasy words to make you travel across the invisible realms to the land of Diachonia ( I have no clue if that is spelled correctly)
Meghan Lloyd
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great quick read with a lot of adventure packed into a small package! I enjoyed the spirit of the heroine, with her exuberance for her role as princess and her kindness towards others, regardless of their station. She was a character whom I would love to know, as well as several of the secondary characters.

Princess Constance of Diachona has just come of age, the time when a male heir would typically be named Junior Heir and would assume his rightful duties as the next King. However, she is the
Lauralee
Aug 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a world that is run by kings, the future of Diachona is insecure. For their king has no sons, only a daughter named Constance. Despite the countrys disappointment for the kings lack of sons, the king is persistent to make his daughter his heir. While the countrys ongoing debate over naming Constance his heir, the king of Munda, a neighboring country, lusts after some of the lush lands of Diachona. Diachona soon find themselves at the brink of war. Could Constance help save Diachona and in the ...more
Jasmine
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short book shares quite a story...

Since I read only a few books each year using the Kindle App on my laptop I kind of figured I would start this book and leisurely read it while doing other things. Yep, that was the plan. Didn't quite work out that way though. Instead I started it in the afternoon and finished that night. This book had a way of pulling you in... maybe it was a little bit of magic...

The Movement Of Crowns is a lovely cross-stitch of threads. It is not only a sweet love
Kathryn Svendsen
King Matthias of the kingdom Diachona and his wife have been childless for 10 years until his wife finally bears him an heir. The servants report was brought to him with both joy and empathetic resignation because the child was a girl.

The story picks up again 20 years later when Constance is getting ready to have her 20th birthday celebration and she officially becomes a royal junior, ready to take on royal duties. Against the wishes of many on the king's council, Constance becomes a Junior
Kelly Smith Reviews
Novellas are a strange territory to me. I reviewed the short story collection, The Struggle, a few weeks ago, but otherwise Ive only reviewed novels. But The Movement of Crowns sounded interesting in Nadine Keels proposal, and I decided to read it. Very glad that I did!

Princess Constance has finally reached adulthood in her kingdom of Diachona, and has numerous trials ahead of her: chiefly being the fact that, since she is the kings only child, will she be accepted into the Council?

Moreover, now
Amelia Elizabeth
Constance is the princess of Diachona and the only child of the King and Queen. She has great aspirations in being her father's heir and showing those who doubt a woman could rule that they are wrong. She has her father's support and is willing to put in the hard work to prove she has what it takes. By her side is her childhood friend and romantic interest Commander Alexander the leader of the her father's army.

Just as Constance is coming into her role as heir, a neighboring empire starts to
Rabid Readers Reviews
The Movement of Crowns is a smart modern fairy tale. Diachona is vividly and beautifully written with a lot of care toward setting the scene of political struggle counterpoised with romance. Keels build her world with a deft hand so that it feels appropriately complex and yet carry an air of stark reality.

Constance is a strong young woman who is realistically flawed. Shes uncertain of herself and has a strong need to prove herself. She relies on her friend for an understanding of her fellow
Erin Gossman
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We begin to see what our children will be, from the time when theyre still toddling. But as time passes, at intervals, we find ourselves virtually having to relearn our children, all over again.
-Matthias to Constance

Overall I really enjoyed this book and intend to read on in the series. I adored Nadines words, and am especially partial to the above quote. I have a few qualms with the story, but once I dug through the first couple of pages, I was entranced. I also enjoyed the fact that this young
Jennifer Treviño
A great trip to a far away land! Really a great read! This tale takes us back in time to when kings & queens ruled. We travel with the Princess Constance & her entourage while learning of her family, their kingdom, & their battles. We witness the daily routine of the Princess as she becomes of age preparing for her future. All the while attempting to free herself from the doubts of skeptical elders who are stuck in their belief that women are not meant for decision making & ...more
Tatia
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**reviewed for Round Table Book Reviews**

Nadine Keels did a good job creating Diachona. She gave it an old-time feel, bringing back kings and queens. Constance is an only child and princess of Diachona. Being the only heir, she has high aspirations to prove that a woman can rule. She's willing to do whatever it takes to prove everyone wrong.
As if having to wonder if she will be accepted into the council isn't enough, she's also come of ago where it's time to find a suitor. There are
Anna-marie
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this for Round Table Book Reviews

I found this to be a sweet story, set in the mythical Kingdom of Diachona. Where Constance, thr Kings daughter is coming of age & wishes to join the National Council. She is very clever & well read, she also travelled around the Kingdom, learning about the people who live there & nearby.
It is basically a love story, but we get to explore the wonderful scenery of the Kingdom, with the Princess Constance & the Commander Alexander.
Nadine
Julie Powell
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy of this book by the author for review.

Overall, I liked the central characters, who were believable and I certainly liked Constance's strength. I did find the language quite heavy going, although some descriptions were extremely well done. Although set within a fantasy world, the story did have the feel of 'true' history - that in itself well done, bringing alive the 'world' for its characters (and the reader).

These are not the usual stories I like, but I will say that it was
Ann Pratley
I was very lucky to receive a complimentary copy of this to read, and what a beautifully written story it is! The storyline, centred around a young female heir to the throne coming of age, delights with a blend of decisions that need to be made by royal leaders and advisors, along with the personal development of emotions by the princess in her future duty to provide the realm with a male heir. The writing provided use of language that made it very easy to actually visualise not only the ...more
Robin
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an absolutely wonderful epic fantasy/romance book. From the beginning, I was hooked on the characters, storyline, and excellent use of adjectives. Felt as if I was right there observing and taking part. Nadine is a superb author and I highly recommend this book.
Melissa
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is a well written descriptive book. The author vividly paints the picture for you and you can visualize the entire story. The characters are relatable and everything that occurred had a realistic vibe to it.
Loretta
This was a great book. A new author to me and definitely one worth reading. I suppose this is fantasy, but reads like historical romance. Loved the voice the author uses.
S.G. Willoughby
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
This sounded promising. :D But it was neither as good or a poor as I was expected. Overall, there was some solid world building, a large cast of characters, each unique from each other. A woman fighting to serve her people in a man's word. And a unique father-daughter relationship.

It was just that the plot was pretty predictable. I was hoping for something a little different, or even the same usual story but that drew my emotions further in. There was one major plot twist that I totally wasn't
Rosalind Morris
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am actually reading the whole series, but I just finished this first novella.

What was difficult:

It took me a long time to get into this story, and I think it's because of the writing style. (Though some of it could be attributed to my hectic life of late.) The style was not bad or unpleasant, and honestly it fit the theme and atmosphere of the story well. It just took me a bit to find a flow. I found myself able to put it down easily, even though I was enjoying the story for a time.

What was
KriisGaia
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first book in a three book series, The Movement of Crowns is an epic fantasy set in the kingdom of Diachona. The story follows the royal family from the birth of the new heir.

A patriarchal society, Diachona has never been without a male heir before. But after years of failed attempts, finally, the king and queen are blessed with a daughter. Over the years she grows to be a strong independent woman, traveling to neighboring kingdoms, learning their languages and customs.

The book begins with
M.D. Schlatter
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
I received a complimentary copy of the trilogy Movement of Crowns to review.

This first book was the most difficult to get through. I felt that the opening was hard to understand and didn't flow well. However, after I got past the first section, I was hooked. The characters became real to me and I longed to know them more. There were still sections that I felt needed polish, explanation, or just didn't flow as easily as I thought they could.

Overall, I thought the story was fresh, had unique
Katrina
Jun 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Im not sure how to rate this book. It began well and I had high hopes that I would really enjoy it... but these hopes were not quite realized, unfortunately. I would give the first half of the book ⭐ ⭐ ⭐⭐ but the second half only ⭐⭐⭐.

I felt like the ending was a bit rushed. Scenes and entire parts of the story, actually, were told about in passing. I didnt quite understand what happened with the queen. The love story seemed like an afterthought. I didnt get much of what Alexander was like as a

• Heroes of Medieval Wales: Daughter of Time/Cold My Heart/The Good Knight/The Last Pendragon: Four First-in-Series Romances
  • Death's Queen (Death's Queen #1)
  • Coffee and Crime (Cup of Jo Book 0)
  • Meant for Me (The Carlyle Women #1)
  • Doctor Margaret's Sea Chest (The Azadi Series #1)
  • Silence: Little Mermaid Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale, #5)
  • The Jake Fonko Series: Books 4, 5 & 6
  • Still Life with Murder  (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #1)
  • The Other Girl (The Winter Guest, #1.5)
  • One Last Try (Bright Lights #1)
  • Let Your Heart Beat Again (A Breath Without Life Novel - Book One)
  • Passage West
  • A New Prospect: A Sam Jenkins Mystery
  • Face of Death (A Zoe Prime Mystery #1)
  • Remember the Stranger
  • Last Wish (The Linh Davies Series Book 1)
  • Between Two Thieves (Between Two Thieves Private Investigator Crime Thriller series Book 1)
  • Delicate
Nadine. A French name, meaning, "hope."
With her lifelong passion for life-enriching fiction, Nadine C. Keels enjoys reading and writing everything from short stories to novels. Her fiction works include Love Unfeigned and The Movement of Crowns Series, and select pieces of her lyrical poetry can be found on her spoken word album, Hope. Lyricized. Through her books and her blog (Prismatic

Movement of Crowns (3 books)
  • The Movement of Rings (Movement of Crowns #2)
  • The Movement of Kings (Movement of Crowns #3)