Start by marking “Not One of Us: Stories of Aliens on Earth” as Want to Read:
Not One of Us: Stories of Aliens on Earth

Not One of Us: Stories of Aliens on Earth

Mankind comes face to face with extraterrestrial life in this short fiction reprint anthology from Clarkesworld publisher Neil Clarke. They Are Strangers from Far Lands . . . Science fiction writers have been using aliens as a metaphor for the other for over one hundred years. Superman has otherworldly origins, and his struggles to blend in on our planet are a clear metaph ...more
Published November 13th 2018 by Night Shade (first published November 6th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Not One of Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not One of Us

Start your review of Not One of Us: Stories of Aliens on Earth
Luupi "The Reading Queen"
TW: Rape, suicide, PTSD, a lot of blood

description

Not One of Us had a couple of amazing stories that even after finishing this book a couple of days ago I can still remember vividly what happened and the important messages those stories tried to portrait and succeeded at it. But unfortunately those stories weren't enough for me to love this anthology as a whole because there were a lot more stories that I didn't like, whether it was because of the characters or the pacing.

A lot of the stories I d
Mel (Epic Reading)
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
As is the case with most anthologies, not all the stories were good but most were decent. A couple stood out as amazing. There are some really great quotes/snippets in these stories that I've shared below.
Consistent throughout each story in Not One of Us anthology is that there are no green men, humanoids or aliens like we traditionally think of. These are truly 'alien' beings from the dark creatives minds of each writer (and lets face it way more likely to be what we might encounter in real li
Meagan ✊🏼 Blacklivesmatter ✊🏼Blacktranslivesmatter
I'm not going to rate the entire book because I did not read every story. For the most part, the stories I read were pretty good. I only began the ones that sounded interesting and finished the ones that really drew me in (well at least after I realized the first 4 weren't that great lol then I decided I wasnt going to read every single story). I read 13 of the 21 stories.

My favorite was The Three Resurrections of Jessica Churchill by Kelly Robson. I loved the tone and how dark it was.

I also r
Dave
For those who think that imagination has reached its limits and those who believe every story has been told before, here’s a terrific volume of 21 creative stories about aliens 👽 coming to earth 🌍. All these different authors have given us their unique tales about HG Wells War of the World’s type invasions. But, what’s remarkable is that not all the stories are about catastrophic destruction and refugees living in the mountains. Some posit symbiotic cooperative futures where we are connected to ...more
Elizabeth
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
In Not One of Us, Neil Clarke collects reprints of some of the most impactful stories concerning aliens and humanity published in recent years. For the alien lover, it’s a great collection, and I’d recommend it even for those who are simply alien-curious as well.

Covering a broad spectrum of authors, from Chinese tour-de-force Cixin Liu to the incredible Kelly Robson, Not One of Us has an astounding amount of depth to it that make it feel comprehensive and well researched.

Particular standout st
Joe Stack
This is an interesting collection of stories anchored by aliens either as the driving force of the story or in the background. A couple of enjoyable aspects of this collection are the imaginative types of aliens that these authors came up with and how humans interacted or are affected by alien contact. The stories cover a wide range of topics, including explorations of hot topics, such as climate change, immigration, and the plight of refugees. I was disappointed with some of the stories because ...more
Anneke
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book Review: Not One of Us - Stories of Aliens On Earth
Edited by Neil Clarke
Publisher: Skyhorse Publishing/Night Shade Books
Publication Date: November 13, 2018
Review Date: November 27, 2018

This is an extraordinary science fiction anthology of nearly 30 stories, each about aliens invading Earth and the various flavors of that scenario.

A good number of the authors are shining lights in the science fiction world.
FM
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent collection of SF stories that explore the idea of "aliens" on Earth. I love collections like this that show how many different ways good writers can approach the same idea in such different ways. I loved the fact that the editor chose stories from international authors, and that most of the stories are relatively recent—the oldest is Ted Chiang's famous "Story of Your Life" from 1998 but most are from the last 10 years. I used to read a lot of science fiction stories in mag ...more
Jday
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fantastic collection of stories! I enjoyed every one. My favorites were “Tendeléo’s Story” by Ian McDonald, Laws of Survival by Nancy Kress, Men are Trouble by James Patrick Kelly, Dark Heaven by Gregory Benford and The Fear Gun by Judith Berman. There were variations on old science fiction tropes, but there were also a surprising number of plots and theories I hadn’t read before. I highly recommend this collection!
Rachel Crosby
Intricate and enchanting

A marvel of storytelling. The characters are so alive and the 12th century settings so finely described, I felt as if were truly a part of the action. Eglantine is a wonderful heroine and Duncan is her perfect foil. The ending is a bit contrived, but is happy nonetheless.
Suzanne
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a delicious collection of stories of alien encounters by many of sci fi’s heavyweights. I especially enjoyed Ted Chiang’s story which was the basis for one of my favorite movies, Arrival.
I always feel that alien interventions make me more aware and questioning of what it means to be human, so for me this was exceptionally thought provoking.
Amber
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it
How do you rate an anthology? Some of it was okay
Jerry
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More good than bad

Several memorable stories including one made into a movie. Worth a look and some of your time. Can be enjoyable.
Anneke
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book Review: Not One of Us - Stories of Aliens On Earth
Edited by Neil Clarke
Publisher: Skyhorse Publishing/Night Shade Books
Publication Date: November 13, 2018
Review Date: November 27, 2018

A good number of the authors are shining lights in the science fiction world.
Red7paulbrennan
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Title says it all. if this is your thing great. mostly happy ending shorts.
Ron
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Some stories are good but like many short stories, I find some disappointing.
Ebenmaessiger
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
“Touring With The Alien,” by Carolyn Ives Gilman (2016): 7.5
- A first-contact story with that plays out its (slightly implausible) xenobiological implications thoughtfully, yet is otherwise enfeebled by the encrustations of emotional resonance barnacled to it. These gestures at backstory do little to explain character actions (the “betrayal” of humanity at the end [ie allowing the alien spores to “invade”) and often just are left floating ambiently (the un-returned-to brother??).
Danielle

• Mission: Critical
  • The New Voices of Science Fiction
  • The Oppenheimer Alternative
  • The Hidden Girl and Other Stories
  • Earth (Complete Short Fiction Book 1)
  • And Shall Machines Surrender
  • Robot Uprisings
  • The New Space Opera
  • Randomize
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Volume One, 1929-1964
  • Here and Now and Then
  • Upright Women Wanted
  • The Janes (Alice Vega, #2)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Sixth Annual Collection
  • Dragonwyck
  • Made Things (Made Things, #1)
Neil Clarke is best known as the editor and publisher of the Hugo and World Fantasy Award-winning Clarkesworld Magazine. Launched in October 2006, the online magazine has been a finalist for the Hugo Award for Best Semiprozine four times (winning three times), the World Fantasy Award four times (winning once), and the British Fantasy Award once (winning once). Neil is also a eight-time finalis ...more