Start by marking “The Chateau by the River” as Want to Read:
The Chateau by the River

The Chateau by the River

A faded photograph will lead one young woman to a ruined French castle where she will discover the truth of her own identity . . . and the enduring mystery of love.

Traveling to France on business, Alexandra Dawson has decided to seize the opportunity to explore a mysterious piece of her own heritage—a half-burnt picture of a woman who looks eerily like her, tak
Kindle Edition
Published December 25th 2018 by Lyrical Press (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Chateau by the River, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chateau by the River

Start your review of The Chateau by the River
Deanne Patterson
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Chateau by the River draws you into it's dual time line. A mysterious faded photograph of a woman who looks eerily identical to Alexandra Dawson has her traveling to a crumbling chateau in France. Such a lovely historical story we discover this woman is her great-great- grandmother. Secrets revealed lead us to discover the truth of her own identity. Such a romantic charm to be found in this story within it's crumbling castle walls.
Pub Date 25 Dec 2018
I was given a complimentary copy of this
Nina Draganova
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Книга , която повече прилича на приказка, наивна до изтощителност . Може би , затова я четох толкова дълго, такъв тип четива ме приспиват, а не поддържат интереса ми.
Има истории , две даже ( каква изненада) .
Просто е прекалено разтеглена и обвита в детайли.
Явно нещо не й достига, след като не я изчетох на един дъх. Това е моя критерий за качеството на книгите.
Lori
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Consisting of two parallel stories featuring Chandeniers, a French castle, Chateau by the River offers a glimpse into the lives of the castle owners by their future wives. In the present, Alexandra meets current owner Eric when she stays in France to conduct genealogical research on her family which came from the castle following a business trip. The castle burned and was never restored. Eric's father intended to do so, but he died before seeing it through, and Eric was unable to continue his fa ...more
Диана
3,5*
Гриша Атанасов
Александра Даусън, млада жена, която работи във винарско предприятие в Калифорния, открива снимка на своята френска прапрапрабаба Габриел, направена пред старинен замък във френско градче. Служебна командировка до Франция дава възможност на Алекс да я съчетае с проучване на миналото на рода си. Снимката я отвежда до градчето Шандьоние-сюр-Виен, където някогашният замък е в руини. Тя започва да разгадава живота на прабаба си Габриел и така постепенно авторката ни въвежда в две любовни истории, ед ...more
Reeca Elliott
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-app, netgalley
Alexandra has found a photograph from the past. It has captured her imagination. When she is in Europe for business, she decides to take a side trip to investigate the chateau in the photo. The owner of the chateau is a man named Eric and he is not happy to see her.
I disliked Eric right from the start. He is very rough around the edges and just plain rude. But as the story developed, he sort of grew on me. He and Alex have a strange relationship which grows into much more than expected. Took a w
Kayla Tornello
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, giveaways, romance
I loved how this story was split between the present day and the past. Both stories featured interesting characters. And who can resist the setting of a beautiful French chateau? I liked the contrast between the past grandeur and the present day ruins. I definitely recommend this book for any romance lovers!

I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway. Yay!
Anne
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Two Awesome Love Stories in One.

I'm so lucky. I won this book on Goodreads and it was right down my alley! I loved this book. A love story from the past, one from the present. Both based around the same castle. Everything you need in a historical romance.
Meghan
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Magical is the perfect word to describe the writing done by Chloé Duval! Her books are translated from the original French, so I imagine that it would be even better were I able to read French. Sometimes things are lost in translation, and this is one of those times I wish I was bilingual. Thankfully, the wonderful people at Lyrical Press understand that even those of us who are not lingually inclined want to read foreign language books. Thus The Chateau by the River is reborn in English! Chloé ...more
Marine Level
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Ce livre est absolument PARFAIT ! Ma lecture était juste divine, je suis tombée sous le charme de ces deux histoires…

Pour l’anecdote, j’ai acheté ce livre en ebook lors d’une promotion sur internet, et il a trainé sur ma liseuse depuis tout ce temps. Sur le groupe Facebook de romance historiques où je suis, ce roman défile dans un des posts, et là je m’y plonge… et quel bonheur !

Ce roman rassemble toutes les qualités que je recherche… Une histoire récente, une histoire historique qui sont liées
Emi
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5

J'ai Adoré ce livre!!
Alexandra est une jeune américaine qui a débarqué sur le sol français.
Au départ pour le bien de son travail (elle est employée dans une entreprise qui s'occupe de vignobles en Californie) mais également pour son bien être personnel.
Elle est tombée il y a quelques temps sur une photo de Gabrielle D'Arcy, une de ses ancêtres, et tient absolument à en apprendre plus en se rendant sur le lieu qu'elle pense être celui de la photo.
Elle part donc à la rencontre du château de
Евелина Йосифова (Reader Wizard)
Firstly, before I talk about the plot of this novel I want to mention something about the great way in which the book was written by Chloe Duval. I really liked that in Alexandra's chapters the story was written in first person, singular and in Gabriel's chapters the story was written in third person, singular. It was very interesting, at least for me, that this change in the chapters was very easy-going and gracefully done. I think that made the book even better.
And now for the plot - I really
Raya
Dec 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a dual romance set in France. The story jumps between past and present with entirely different stories. The past features Gabrielle, great grandmother of Alex, the protagonist of the present story-line. We even have Alex reading Gabrielle's diary entries at the present time in line with the events as we see them happen in the past time.

I liked the past story-line slightly more than the present one. The point of contention for me was that Alex has a fiance who happens to me a good guy. Al
Jo Haff
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5

J'aime la plume de Chloé Duval, par sa manière de nous faire sourire et de nous faire décrocher des « awwww » mièvres à chaque moment fort. On termine toujours ses livres légers, avec l'envie d'aimer ou d'être heureux ou quelque chose de bien doudou.
Dans ce roman, on retrouve bien Chloé, avec ses personnages touchants et ses héroïnes qui parviennent à voir la lumière là où il n'y en a pas (encore).
Ce n'est pas un coup de cœur comme les précédents qui m'ont fait éteindre ma liseuse avec un sou
Adri Dosi
Panebože, kolikrát to kdo napsal v podobném stylu? Takový ten příběh o Američance, která něco zdědí, pak najde fotku a začne se pídit po ženě a historii? Dostane se ideálně do Francie a zjistí, že je to princezna, kněžna něco a měla by mít nějaký zámek, ideálně s nějakým pěkným chlápkem. Och můj ty smutku. Tak odrhané téma s minimálními rozdíly.
3* dávám proto, že to není špatně napsané a není to zlá kniha, pokud jste něco podobného už nečetli. Bohužel pro mě, já letos narazila na čtyři podobné
Kelly
Jan 20, 2019 added it
A cosy romance with a sprinkling of predictability but a heart warming dual tale none the less. I enjoyed this book. There were few surprises but it was well written and the separate stories of Alexandra and Gabrielle easy to follow which is sometimes a risk with this type of book. It could have been set anyway, the French location could have been expanded on as last of the story. Some incidents felt like they were brushed over rather than being pivotal parts of the story. However well worth a r ...more
Kirk Weikart
Oct 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Two parallel stories separated by 120 years, connected by a photograph, a burned down castle and a bookshop. I enjoyed the story, even though it was somewhat predictable. The writing and the dialogue was often clever and witty, although some pop culture references were lost on me.

On the downside, it is still a romance novel, so the parallel stories "climax" with an intimate love scene. Yuck. Also, the details wither away at the end of the book.
Kathleen Gray
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A dual time line romance set in, sigh, a chateau in France. Alexandra decides to do some research into her family's history and while doing so, discovers the diary of Gabrielle, who was in love with Thomas. She meets Eric, who is the current owner of what has become a tumbledown in serious need of renovation. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. This isn't deep but it's a good read, with four characters who you will root for. ...more
Lily
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
This was an amazing read, I truly didn't want it to end!
Chloe Duval weaves the tale of two women in a very endearing and moving way, her characters are full of life and very well drawn out. You care for them and you live every moment with them until the very end.
I would recommend this to fans of Kate Morton who like a little bit of extra romance on top.
Erin
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review

I really enjoyed this book. It was be charming and entertaining.The descriptions of the castle were absolutely amazing. I enjoyed both stories and was glad both had a happy ending.
Sheryl
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. The characters were great and it was a fun relaxing read.
Rebecca Burgess
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways, romance
Beautiful story with history entwined with current. Chasing down her genealogy, can she find the same forever love. Everyone loves a castle so maybe a fairy tell does exist.
Mary
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great storyline and read
Ganka
Feb 25, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Един-единствен човек ви липсва и светът изглежда пуст" ...more
Laska
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Много изтъркана, но красива и сладка романтика.
Cynthia
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: giveaway-s
Not much of romance fan.didn't like the main character, not sympathetic at all, found her abrasive, entitled and dishonest. Don't go after another guy while in a relationship with someone, especially when you are engaged! ...more
Laurence
Une excellente lecture! J'aime toujours autant les histoires que met en place Chloé Duval qui est en train de devenir l'une de mes auteures chouchou pour les romans contemporains! J'étais d'ailleurs contente de revoir Flavie que l'on rencontre dans «Le temps volé» le premier roman que j'ai lu de cette auteure. Je suis curieuse de voir ce qu'elle va écrire par la suite... ...more
Lisa Cole
Jun 30, 2020
Lorna Layton
Feb 13, 2019
Monica Angelova
Mar 28, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Little Brooklyn Bakery (Romantic Escapes, #2)
  • The White Christmas Inn
  • Blackberry Winter
  • The Perfect Present
  • Her Daughter's Mother
  • The Christmas Secret
  • A Gift in December
  • The Paris Secret
  • The Snow Queen
  • Der kleine Teeladen zum Glück (Valerie Lane, #1)
  • Щастието е любимият ми цвят
  • Christmas at Silver Falls
  • Die Chocolaterie der Träume (Valerie Lane, #2)
  • Pan de limón con semillas de amapola
  • Our Darkest Night
  • The Rome Affair
  • Die Stille vor dem Tod (Smoky Barrett, #5)
  • Не чакай да отминат бурите, научи се да танцуваш в дъжда