Start by marking “The Best Christmas Ever” as Want to Read:
The Best Christmas Ever

The Best Christmas Ever

Christmas at the Bear family household is slim this year, but Mother Bear and Father Bear create holiday spirit by adorning their home with decorations sewn from outgrown clothes and a tree assembled from gathered branches dusted with flour. Little Bear worries whether Santa will come and ultimately proves to be the most resourceful to ensure that gifts are under the tree. ...more
Published September 1st 2006 by Heryin Books, Inc. (first published June 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Best Christmas Ever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Christmas Ever

Start your review of The Best Christmas Ever
Erin Phelps
Dec 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
if i could give this book 6 stars, i would. it is completely lovely, and every time i read it, i tear up. there is as much unsaid as there is spoken in this book. the illustrations are simple and pretty and soft.

the narrative: the family has had a tough year and this time there's no money for christmas. they go on with their simple celebration anyway and are surprised to wake up with gifts under the tree from "toddler christmas."

if you've ever felt like you wanted to give more than you could,
Andi
Dec 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
We found this at the library this week & read it last night. It is one of the sweetest books I've read in a long time. Beautiful story & adorable illustrations. Everyone should have a copy of this book.
Wendy
Feb 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
sweet book liked the art work and the story of how a little person saves christmas and that it is about the memories, not the stuff
N
Dec 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: holiday
"Business was bad for Little Bear's father this year and he was unable to find work. There isn't much money left. Christmas is almost here...." heart-is-melting
Sofía Castell
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
LA magia de la Navidad en un librito maravilloso.
Cristina Gallardo
Un cuento con una enseñanza tan tremenda que te emociona al máximo. Gracias a mi amiga Silvia G. Guirado por recomendármelo. Maravilloso para grandes y pequeños.
Danica Midlil
I picked this book up when I saw it on display at my local library branch. The cover art is quiet, lonely and subdued in contrast to the title, so I was intrigued.
This book is deals with realistic and timely issues with grace, hope, and love.
"The year had been tough for Little Bear's father. His business had failed and he couldn't find work. There was just enough money left to feed the family."
Even though the words of the story sound SO SAD and heartbreaking, the reader can see that Litt
Linda
Dec 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was published a few years ago but I just discovered it at the library. It is a sweetly simple picture book about a family who may not have Christmas gifts because Father Bear has been out of work and there is not enough money to buy both gifts and food. I couldn’t figure out myself exactly what happened (a good mystery for little ones), but they did manage to have some gifts and have the best Christmas ever! The story holds some nice surprises and the illustrations are simple and gorge ...more
Bethany
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The bear family has had a hard year, and there won't be any Christmas presents. Still, Father scouts the sidewalks for sticks to make a small tree, Mother makes a stew with a fish that Father caught, and each child quietly accepts the truth. What a surprise, then, to see a gift for each family member under the tree on Christmas morning! It's a mystery ... but only if you haven't been watching carefully.

This understated, heart-warming story is brimming with kindness and resourcefulnes
Edward Creter
This whimsical Christmas tale from a Chinese kids' author is a blessing in every sense of the word, and I never thought that the Chinese celebrated Christmas, or wrote a Christmas book this good (no offense to the Chinese, but I was in a restrictive church environ wherein I was warned with the congregation about the Chinese, Japanese and gay people...THEY LIED! I may never like being a Christian again.) This book revolves around a family of bears who celebrate Christmas with love and devotion to ...more
Elisabeth
Dec 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In a season full of glitter and sparkles and color and noise and bigger is better and why not have more? (which is, of course, can be fun and festive and awesome)it was nice to spend a few quiet minutes with "Toddler Christmas" in his peaceful book. He has such a purely beautiful spirit and the blissed out look on his face on the last page is something I think we all would like to attain - but few of us go about getting in the right way. Lovely, lovely book.
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I love that the family in this book has such a lovely Christmas morning in spite of the fact that the father bear has been out of work and there's no money to spend. Such a simple story to serve as a reminder that it really is the thought behind a gift that counts and lots of shopping and consuming isn't necessary.
Holly Underwood
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: with-the-boy
Wonderful message of the season with simple, delightful illustrations
Carolyn
Jan 05, 2012 marked it as browse-to-read-someday
Pay special attention to all the illustrations, from one endpaper to the last.
Laura Molinario
Dec 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Christmas picture book
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance

Father Bear has lost his job. Santa comes anyway, bringing things the family has lost during the year. Best part: The 3 R's of recycling. Ages 5-10.
Kim
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I actually sniffled when I read this beautiful story of Christmas and family during tough economic times. A must read!

themes: Christmas, family, love, resilience
Alissa
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This shows that sometimes the best gifts are the ones you already have.
Burbank Library Children's Department
A sweet, quiet holiday tale of a family who doesn't have a lot of money to spend on Christmas but has plenty of love to share.
Jussay
Dec 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
A touching book about a bear family who have fallen on hard times and cannot afford to buy gifts for Christmas.
Emily Smith
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Picture book
M Murphy
Great story
Rachel
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very cute book that shows that Christmas isn't necessarily all about what's new but appreciating what you already have.
Cindy
Michele
Feb 15, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Night Gardener
  • Circles in the Stream (Avalon: Web of Magic #1)
  • Get Your Sh*t Together: How to Stop Worrying About What You Should Do So You Can Finish What You Need to Do and Start Doing What You Want to Do (A No F*cks Given Guide)
  • Planting Gardens in Graves II