Start by marking “Rebuilding Hope (Kindred, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rebuilding Hope (Kindred, #1)

Rebuilding Hope

(Kindred #1)

Holden Bancroft was born with a better than average brain and not much else. Often described as strange and sickly, his attempts to conform only made him look foolish and a life-long diet of pills hasn’t provided a cure. Deciding to strengthen the only tool in his arsenal was liberating and learning became his greatest joy. But each episode is another reminder that his tim ...more
Published September 23rd 2018

To ask other readers questions about Rebuilding Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rebuilding Hope

Start your review of Rebuilding Hope (Kindred, #1)
Barbara➰
**3.5 Stars**

This was a bit of a mixed bag for me. I did like it...a lot but I didn't quite love it like I wanted to. I think it's really rare to find a good MM true mate story so I was excited for this.

What I did love was the mate aspect. When I read a true mate story, I want them to want to find their other half. None of this denial crap or "you're not what I would have chosen". Here, it was just how I like it. Crowley and Holden have a one night stand and it's the best
Susan
Oct 04, 2018 marked it as dnf
DNF at 53%

There were parts I really loved. I loved the sweetness of the romance, the need to be together. But I couldn't concentrate anymore when the inner dialogue went on and on and on and on. And when shifter politics made an entrance, I was done.

And the beginning was terribly confusing when the MCs meet, we skip to the morning after the sex and then went back to it in a flashback....

Not a bad book, I'm just not in the mood for it right now.
Tracy
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer! I haven't read this book but i accidentally gave it one star and I feel bad!! I have no idea how to delete me review lol. On a side note I'm so gutted that this author, who is one of my favourites, has written this book which is in no way related to her sizzling Miami series when I have been waiting "patiently" all year for all of the sequels to my favourite book that I was told by this author would be released this year. In fact I'm sure i was told on Twitter there would be 7 or so ...more
Nat ReadingAllNite
3.5 Stars

I’ve said before that shifters, paranormal, etc aren’t really my thing, except for certain well-liked/loved authors, where I have to see what they do with a different sub-genre. Jessie is one of those authors and I really did enjoy this overall. I thought the world building was good and liked that it was contained within a real world framework I could relate to. Holden is gathering evidence for what he believes to be government fraud. His intelligence and resourcefulness is
JenMcJ
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Interesting but ultimately unoriginal take on the shifter trope dynamics. I'm not a huge fan of fated mates and had I read the whole blurb, I might not have picked this one up despite the fact that I do enjoy this author a lot which is I why I went with it in the first place.

So, fated mates aside I was still eventually sucked into this more and more as the story went on even though I was annoyed at a few plot niggles and at how everyone, especially boring Crowley, seemed to make all
Elle Schroder
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting take on a shifter romance. I'm accustomed to such things as fated mates and alphas, but both those things were taken a step further in this book.

Crowley is not the alpha, he's the Zenith. That means two things – he rules over not just a group of shifters, but all shifters. Of all breeds. There are three Zeniths in the world, ruling over different areas. Crowley rules over the Americas. Below him there are the regular alphas who run the groups on a day-to-day basis. Alpha
Duncan Husky
Rating: 3.5 out of 5 (rounded up to 4 because Goodreads)

Jessie G. has created a fascinating setting. After a war between shifters and humans in the middle of the 20th century, and uneasy peace has been established, but shifters are definitely in the minority. The present-day setting of the story is a nice twist on the reality we know with specific differences due to the world's history that make the reader want to know more. The story unfolds to include a worldwide conspiracy, a prop
Christina Wade - BFD Book Blog
This was the most unexpected happy surprise I’ve had in a long time. This is one of those books that you read in one sitting but try to read slowly so you won’t finish so fast because you don’t want it to be over because you’re not ready but you want to finish because you need to know what happens (yep, I know that was a rambling run-on). I would have read this in one sitting but my kid had a game so it took a day and a half to finish.

I am an admitted big fan of this author. We’ve ha
llv
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4 stars
A friend lent me her copy of this one and I thought I would give this author a shot. At first, I wasn’t sure I was going to like this book. There is something a bit off with the author’s writing style and the introduction to this world was a bit clunky. Despite this the more I read the more I found myself interested in the characters and the story. Both Crowley and Holden were wonderful as the MCs. I was invested in what happened to both of them, but Holden particularly reso
Claudia
wow this one I totally enjoyed .. .and yes some things just are simple but they never appear to be trivially done. it was very well written and I enjoyed getting to know all the characters.

can't wait for the next book ... and I really hope there will also be a next book for Holden and Crow not only the other Zenits ...
oh ... and I want to get Bao and Lautaros story .. and of course Günters
Christy deSade
Oct 05, 2018 rated it liked it

I didn't really connect with any of the characters. There wasn't enough substance for me to invest emotionally in any part of this book. The world building was handled through info dumps rather than story telling, the flashback at the beginning was poorly written and the characters' reactions felt flat. The sex scenes were well written, though, and there weren't editing or grammar issues. I didn't hate it, but I don't feel the desire to read this author's work again either.
Cecilia Rodriguez
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it

Fi Brit
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good

There was so much I liked about this book. Crow and Holden are lovely together. I liked the way they came together and how Holdens’s health and identity was affected by their connection. The world was fascinating and shows signs of having great depth. The mysteries added a nice element.
Unfortunately there are some flaws in the construction of the story that stops it from achieving it’s full potential. I think the problem is that there was too much going on at one time. Individual
Wendy-Book Lovers 4Ever
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So much to say about this book, first I love that Jessie jumped into the "paranormal" genre, after reading Rebuilding Hope I think she has a knack for the growly wolves.
Second, let's talk about Crowley, he is just so yummy, he's protective of his people, understanding and dependable but once he met his mate all bets were off for anyone who f'ed with his man. Wowza, what a protective streak for this alpha, but he goes about protecting Holden in the sweetest ways.
I enjoyed Holden's growth throug
Monika
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm, shifters
It saddens me to say this but this book kind of bored me. Even though they did not know they were Kindred, the romance was too instantaneous (even the sex did not help my feelings :( ). Overall, I have to say the book just did not make me feel, which is what I love about great books... Unfortunately, that did not happen and I was just reading the story just to know what happened and how it got solved. I find out that nothing gets solved here? And you know what? I don't care. It does not bother m ...more
Carolyn Elias
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A shifter world that’s hot, emotional, and you’ll want more of the story!

Holden isn’t a shifter although he wished he was because he’s suffered pain and worse for all of his young life. He’s brilliant and totally dedicated to doing his job to his utmost ability. On his way down to Florida he runs into Crowley at a truck stop and oh my It gets HOT and sweet! Crowley actually is the Zenith over all shifters and vampires in the Americas.

This is a fascinating shifter story and I can’t wait for t
Roger - president of NBR United -
I have liked or loved every thing I have read by the Author. Now this book has some of my pet peeves as main part of the plot I.e. fated mates. So I was surprised by how much I kept reading and being hooked in the story. I feel in many ways that Holden could represent me. Book smart but not so street smart, a researcher, some one who can read the reports and find things that others wouldn't notice. Loyal, and true. but I definitely have the empathy of Crowley in abundance. I would say the govern ...more
Cassie Roath
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!!

This was my first time reading a story by
Jessie G. I'll just say I'm so glad I found this book! The world that was created and the characters..I laughed, I cried, and I raged right there with the characters. This is an amazing book and I highly recommend that you don't plan on putting it down once you pick it up!! Looking forward to the next book in this exciting new series!!!
SMJC
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Man I struggled to get through this one

There was a lot of telling. What I mean is, you're reading, maybe a couple of pages in, you realize you are being told what happened, in a rushed kind of way, lacking details. The way time moves in the book also threw me off a little, all of a sudden months have passed. I didn't actually feel a connection between the characters either. I suppose this author's writing style is not for me.
K
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4-5, shifter, fav, must-reread
Jessie G is one of my favorite authors and I was happy to discover her new shifter series didn’t let me down. I always connect with her characters really didn’t want this book to end. I can’t wait for the next ones in the series. Fated mates are the best especially when the can communicate without talking.
Margaret Clark
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding

I have always been a Jesse G fan, having read all her books. I was impressed with all, some more than others, but I was thrilled to find this book. I love reading about the paranormal and shifters are the absolute best. Love the ideal and in my fantasy wish they were real.
Rosie
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Must read

I was hooked from the beginning! Really good book, sooooooo glad it's going to be a series. I love the characters and can't wait to see how this all evolves. It's a different take on shifters, vampires, etc than I've read before. Its refreshing! I can't wait for the next book to come out.
Jodi
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a great story that I could not put down. The word building was fantastic. Crowley and Holden made a great couple. There was sexy times, humor, snark, shifting, love, relationship goals and well, lets just say I need book 2 now!
Helen M. Whitchurch
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shifter m/m love story

Brilliant idealist who didn't know he was suppressed cougar shifter instead of sickly human
meets ( superalpha) zenith wolf shifter and falls in love.
Good characterization but too much explicit sex. Best friend very likeable character.
termeez
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Did it again

I have read all Jessie G books. I love how the characters just jump off the pages. The story was unique for a shifter story. Can't wait for the next book in the series!
Geneieve Davis
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great start to a new series

I quite enjoyed this book. It is low angst, a great flow on the story, and a little mystery thrown in to keep it interesting. It was a good start to a series I am looking forward to reading
Jillian Byrd
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So good, so sweet

I have missed Jessie's stories. It had everything that you come to expect; angest, suspense, love, sexy time and laughter. I can never get enough and I can't wait for the rest of the series.
Lisa
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly Enjoyable!

The characters and their world are well constructed. I'm fully invested in the future of this first couple and look forward to the remaining Zenith finding their Kindred. I appreciate the diverse species working and thriving together. It makes me feel good.
Manlove
Nov 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Enjoyable for the most part - I really liked the two main characters together. But sometimes the plotty stuf got a wee bit tiresome.
Jessica
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Goodreads Librari...: Move book to author profile 3 16 Sep 24, 2018 01:57PM

• Origins (Gods of War #1)
  • Stoned (The Four, #2)
  • Mastering the Flames (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer, #4)
  • Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
  • In This Iron Ground (Natural Magic #1)
  • The Dilemma (Sirius Wolves, #5)
  • Blessing and Light
  • Archangel's Assassin
  • Tears of the Neko (Neko #1)
  • Rise of the Phoenix (Return to Avalore, #2)
  • Falling For His Mate (Crescent Moon, #6)
  • Heart of Ice (Firecats Book, #2)
  • Heart of the Jaguar
  • Raber Wolf Pack: Book Two
  • Clutch (Forbidden Desires #1)
  • Darkest Heart (Dominion, #1)
  • The Vampire's Omega (The Vampire's Omega, #1)
Like many readers, the dream of being a writer has been with me a long time. After three decades of trying, I'd begun to doubt. Thanks to social media, I followed my favorite authors hoping to glean some words of wisdom as I pounded out half-formed ideas with alarming regularity. Two repetitive themes emerged: To be a great writer you must read a lot and your butt must be in the chair every day li ...more