Start by marking “Bedrock of Empire (The Cassius Chronicles Book 2)” as Want to Read:
Bedrock of Empire (The Cassius Chronicles Book 2)

Bedrock of Empire (The Cassius Chronicles Book 2)

Bedrock of Empire is the much-anticipated sequel to the highly acclaimed novel, Roman Mask - Winner of the 2016 Readers' Favorite Gold Medal award for Fiction/Action.

Cassius returns to Rome, intent on restarting his life after escaping death in one of the greatest military disasters of the ancient world, the loss of three legions in the Teutoburg Forest. Hopes of a hero's
Published October 18th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Bedrock of Empire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bedrock of Empire

Eurydicegirlgmail.Com
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Even better than the first.

This second book is set in Iberia & Rome during the early empire. Interesting additions to the cast of characters, the psychological scope widens and relationships continue to develop in depth.
There are a few pages here and there I skip over; i know about the gruesome arena combat and disgusting spectacle of animal slaughter and refuse to be upset for no purpose. But the writer adds depth to the plot by interweaving the political dimensions of governance, militar
Greg Phillips
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very good and worth reading——just not as good as his first!

Please don’t misunderstand me——the second book about Cassius Gaius Aprilus is a very fine read. It’s simply that——in MY view—- it pales SLIGHTLY in comparison to Roman Mask. In my opinion it’s hard to top the Roman disaster at the Teutoburg Wald! If read first this book is againVERY good.... a solid 4-4.5 in my view. It’s just not AS good as the first.
I would hope that ANY author would be proud to have written two such enjoyable and wel
Jon
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mr. Brooke captured my imagination from the first his first sentence. The story brought me to the hills of Spain and made me relive my most recent visit. The historical references were accurate enough to make it feel like you were walking behind Gaius from the beginning of his march through Spain and his ultimate return to Rome. The story, the history, the political intrigue and the introduction to the mysterious creature was most clever.
I highly recommend this book and naturally start with Mr.
John A
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As good as the first in this series

This builds on the excellent Roman Mask, and both are a cut above most novels of ancient Rome. Spain is an interesting setting, very different from the Teutoborg, and the book is full of well-fleshed out characters, sympathetic or villainous, insights into Roman rule, law and use of slavery and plenty of exciting action sequences. A wonderfully absorbing and entertaining read.
Eric S.
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Compulsive Reading

I always loved historical fiction from Ancient Greece and Roman times. Mary Renault, Robert Graves and many others. The two books of The Cassius Chronicles are fast-paced and vividly retell the Roman Disaster in the Teutoburg Forest. A sympathetic description of PTSD in the protagonist. A few lapses in editing make slightly less than a ‘5 star’. Unfortunately there isn’t a ‘4.75 rating. I look forward to the latest installment in this series.
Harry Paston
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Great Captivating Novel of Ancient Rome

The authors skill as a writer has brought a historically accurate story of Ancient Rome into a vivid captivating novel of life and times of this era. Well done Thomas Brooke from a reader of countless novels and histories of those ancient times!!
Chris Page
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved it, disappointly no sequel yet. Was pleased that the story worked well enough that there were a couple of places where an obvious solution was presented to save the hero's bacon and I found myself thinking it would be disappointing to see the obvious solution but the hero needed his bacon saved only to be pleasantly surprised with a novel resolution.
Richard Myers
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book

In this second book of the Cassius Chronicles Cassius finds himself in Spain with a promotion that puts him on the road to being a jurist and then a Senator of Rome. He gets involved in several firefights with bandits and the Governor of Spain. A fast paced book and I hope there may be a third book in the future.
Randalynn K. Gloege
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent follow up to Roman Mask

I like a story that allows me to open it up, crawl in and be transported back in time. The characters were real and the story was believable. If you love Roman history this is a sure bet.
Thomas
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Exciting adventure with moral overtone.

The continuing saga of a Roman military leader put into stressful circumstances which he successfully overcomes and forges ahead with honor. A bit melodramatic but plausible with forgiveness; entertaining read.
Andrew Kidd
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Getting Better!

The two main observations In my review on The Roman Mask, editing and stereotyped characters, have been greatly improved in this book. Realistic characters, entertaining narrative and effective scene descriptions make this book very readable.
Phillip S. Makowka
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great Read

Berri k of the Empire is both enjoyable and readable. Thomas Brooks keeps the action moving and at the same time very believable. Look forward to future books by this author.

H. Bryant Blake
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A shocker!

Well, this one was even better than the first! Even with all the action, and knowing Cassius would prevail the end come as a total shock! A good rollicking read about Ancient Rome and all it’s foibles!
Ted Valmassei
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Action Filled

This book had plenty of action as well as historical interest. The characters were well developed and brought to life. I strongly recommend it to those interested in historical fiction.
Bc27
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cassius Part 2

In this continuation of the career of Cassius Aprilis we find Cassius returned to Rome but not ever far from the dangerous Imperial family. With Marcus and his brother in law Aulus they undertake a multi faceted journey to Spain, another good read I enjoyed.
David Nelson
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A spellbinding page-turner. Give me more!

Brooke is a gifted storyteller gifted who posseses a firm grasp of the subject matter and weaves it into a supremely pleasing and stimulating reading experience. I do hope this isn't the last of The Cassius Chronicles.
leno sislin
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
BRILLIANT!!

For those of us who love history's these two books are cause to rejoice!!! My only disappointment is: WHERE IS BOOK #3!!!
Jane
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cassius Chronicles Book 2

Found this book as enjoyable as Book 1. Look forward to reading more by Thomas M D Brooke. Highly recommended reading.
09/01
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great tale

A gripping read,hard to put down.Characters move across Roman Spain, by no means under total Roman rule, traitors,schemers,all play their part.thoroughly good read.
Jacqueline A Wilson
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bedrock of Empire

A thoroughly good read. I hope there is another book in this series. Highly recommended. I enjoy reading about this period of history.
Eric Peterson
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
ENTHHRALLED

Having, recently, visited Rome and touring the ruins, this book kept me from doing a lot of the chores needing done. I was there! I'm the book!!
Bradley Brenneman
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fast paced with depth

Enjoyed the second book in this series for it's interesting and fast paced story which is well intertwined with factual history.
Ruth Saltzman
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brooke has caught and interesting time in the Roman empire. He shows the horrors of war that is part of world history. I can't wait until his next book.
Don
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best

One of the best reads I’ve enjoyed in a long time. I sincerely hope there is a third book coming. Excellent, exciting, captivating.
Elizabeth Miller