Start by marking “Daniel and Nephi” as Want to Read:
Daniel and Nephi

Daniel and Nephi

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  1,290 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
In a world of infinite mystery, when caravans rule the sun-swept deserts and mighty empires grapple for ultimate power, the lives of a young prince named Daniel and a trader's son named Nephi become entwined in an adventure that takes them along the razor's edge of danger and suspense as they struggle to save the life of a king and the fate of a nation.
Published July 2nd 2001 by Covenant Communications Inc (first published 1993)

Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Sep 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lisa by: reading group
I just finished this book for the second time. We are reading it for an Enrichment reading group. I like the idea of Daniel and Nephi meeting each other and sharing a story. Until I read this book, it never dawned on me that they lived during the same time period. It is easy to forget that Nephi and his family left Jerusalem just before the Babylonian occupation.

There is a little poem written in this book that I feel applies for us today. Daniel and Nephi go on an adventure, not of their own cho
Melody
Feb 01, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked this book, hence the three stars. It was interesting but not gripping. I enjoyed reading about the fictional relationship between Daniel and Nephi, but didn't quite get into all the background rituals and details of the day. I guess when I started reading it, I thought it would center more on their dealings with each other. Instead, it was Daniel and Nephi set in 600 BC, with all the goings on of that time. Just a perception thing, but all the "goings on" wasn't why I read the book. It w ...more
Palmyra
I like this one passage in the book where Nephi ponders on his brother Laman. He says something to the effect that some people search knowledge and the more they look for it the less they find. I never thought about this before, but it sounds about right. Unless we have the humility to know that "we really don't know", we may never really get it right. That's probably one of the many reasons Heavenly Father chooses young people to accomplish his works. People like Nephi, Daniel, King David, and ...more
Tammie
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love Chris Heimerdinger and how he can bring the scriptures to life by bringing the people to life. This book was really fun and entertaining. When a historical fiction book makes you want to go and find out more about the characters and the time period you know the author has done a good job. Loved it, and it has definitely already been added to my at home library!
Linnae
Mar 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-fiction, juvenile
What if Daniel, the great Old Testament prophet, and Nephi, prophet from the Book of Mormon, knew each other as kids? From this basic premise, Heimerdinger recreates Jerusalem in the years before the Babylonion captivity, and gives a story of two boys who must learn to put their trust in the God of Irael while chaos and intrigue swirl around them.

Excellent. Highly recommended.
Joan
Mar 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite of the Chris Heimerdinger books. It is not related to his Tennis Shoes series. I enjoyed this book because it showed possibilities for understanding Laman and Lemuel in the Book of Mormon.
Sabrina
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Awesome, awesome book. It was fun to think that Nephi and Daniel might have known each other. Had lots of adventure and great lessons. I learned alot about both these great men. I learned real things and then also it was fun to think what they could of been like (personalities and such).
Jenna
Sep 28, 2008 rated it it was ok
I read this book because I like the Tennis Shoes series but it wasn't nearly as good as I thought I would be. I didn't hate it but I remember finishing it and thinking it wasn't the greatest. Maybe if I read it again I would feel differently...but maybe not.
Jeni
Jul 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This book is off the beaten trail of the Tennis Shoes books, but just as good. All Books by Chris Heimerdinger are exciting and an easy read. I always enjoy them. Its been a while since I've read them, but I always love the adventures they unveil.
Breena
Aug 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
I really enjoyed this book. I think it is important to remember that it is a novel and not based in scripture that Daniel and Nephi knew each other. I have had people tell me that before and now that I have read this book I think I know how they are coming to that assumption.
Teresa
May 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was my second time since it'd been long enough I couldn't remember much. I really like all of his books because of the religion, history and events occurring around them that it brings it more to life. Interesting concept.
Jeffrey
Jun 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of Chris Himerdingers books! He is a very good LDS kids authors(which tends to be so good that is sucks adults right in...like me). I acctually have this on tape also and it never gets old to listen to it while driving in the car.
J.b.
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great family read.
Francie
Jan 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story that imagines Nephi and Daniel meeting as children. Very well written. Excellent stand alone Heimerdinger story.
G (galen)
Jun 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
His story telling just didn't measure up to what he accomplished with the tennis shoes series.
Melissa
Dec 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: lds, kids
Very good adventure. 8 and up
Lyn
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love the way Heimerdinger brings the characters to life. Lots of adventures and excitement. Although it is fictional it is nice add a little something to the people's lives from the Book of Mormon
Lauren
This book is set in Jerusalem and has Daniel (from the Lion's Den) and Nephi (from the Book of Mormon) as friends.
Peter Anderson
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: church
Loved this book!
Camilla
Jul 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lds
A cool crossing of paths I never thought about. A neat book.
Brenda
Aug 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Read it! Great story that imagines that Daniel from the Old Testament and Nephi from the Book of Mormon were friends in 600 BC before Nephi sailed to America.
Captain
Oct 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Very interesting story of 2 young prophets. Again I don't remember much but it was a fun story.
Samuel Barlow
Feb 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Great and touching story of two of the greatest prophets as children.
Heidi-Marie
I think this may be my favorite of Heimerdinger's. Just the idea of Daniel and Nephi knowing each other was so neat to me. And the adventures he creates for them had me so engrossed in the book.
Wendy
Jun 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting story of two prophets Daniel and Nephi. It was a fun read.
Lyndsay
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chris is a brilliant writer!
Colleen
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite by this author.
Jun 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
I liked this story. It's been a while though, I'll have to re-read it.
Deni Torrez
Oct 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great story. Chris just knows how to turn them out..
Jessica
Mar 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
good, quick read.
  • Samuel: Moroni's Young Warrior (Samuel Adventure, #1)
  • Power of Deliverance (The Promised Land, #2)
  • Come Unto Me (The Kingdom and the Crown #2)
  • Prelude to Glory, Vol. 5: A Cold, Bleak Hill
  • How Many Roads (Hearts of the Children, #3)
  • The Bishop's Horse Race (The Soderberg Saga, #2)
  • The Storm Testament
  • Framed for Love
Chris Heimerdinger is an author and member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) who has presently written sixteen adult and young adult novels, most of which center on religious themes familiar to LDS members. Most are published with Covenant Communications in American Fork, Utah. One title, A Return to Christmas was also picked up by Random House/Ballantine in 1995. When the t ...more
More about Chris Heimerdinger...