Start by marking “Mistborn: Secret History” as Want to Read:
Mistborn: Secret History

Mistborn: Secret History

(Mistborn #3.5)

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  20,105 ratings  ·  1,440 reviews
Mistborn: Secret History is a companion story to the original Mistborn trilogy. As such, it contains HUGE SPOILERS for the books Mistborn (The Final Empire), The Well of Ascension, and The Hero of Ages. It also contains very minor spoilers for the book The Bands of Mourning. Mistborn: Secret History builds upon the characterization, events, and worldbuilding of the origina ...more
Published January 10th 2019 by Gollancz (first published January 26th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Mistborn, please sign up.
Akshay This book contains spoilers for the original trilogy and also Bands of Mourning. As of this post, you should read all the Mistborn books in the order…moreThis book contains spoilers for the original trilogy and also Bands of Mourning. As of this post, you should read all the Mistborn books in the order they are published, not in the order that is described on Good Reads for the Mistborn series.(less)
Leonel
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  20,105 ratings  ·  1,440 reviews

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is such an incredibly clever resurrection of storytelling. The Mistborn trilogy is driven by mysterious powers; it's not until the end that we were given the full facts. Or were we? In this Sanderson reveals more of what happened beyond the mists.

Originally, when I picked this up I wasn’t expecting much. In fact, I’ve been putting off reading it ever since it was released. My expectations were low. Brandon Sanderson has written some truly awesome novels, but he also has released a few thing
Petrik
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mistborn fans
Shelves: favorites
(I read this in Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection)

Just brilliant. No full review from me for this amazing novella because everything about this book can be considered spoilers for Mistborn saga. There's always another secret. That's all.

Side note:
This novella contains major spoilers for the original Mistborn trilogy and minor spoilers for The Bands of Mourning. Although you can read this novella immediately after finishing the original Mistborn trilogy, for the purpose of maximum enjoyme
Robin (Bridge Four)
5 Do the Impossible Stars ✰✰✰✰✰

Super impromptu buddy reading with my fellow Sandersonitus sufferers at Buddies Books & Baubles

THIS IS WHY BRANDON SANDERSON IS A WRITING GENIUS! Again this is the fangirl section skip to the next paragraph for the important stuff. Only BS spends 10 years on a novella to give us some behind the scenes stuff from Mistborn 1-3 AND it all fits like it could have been in the original story. Only he could keep it secret for that long and then surprise his fans with
Lindsey Rey
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, novella
INCREDIBLE!!! Sanderson has been writing this since 2004 and it is absolutely amazing. It's the most Cosmere Cosmere book ever and I loved every second!!!
Melanie
#1.) The Final Empire ★★★★★
#2.) The Well of Ascension ★★★
#3.) The Hero of Ages ★★★★

Readalong for the BooktubeSFF Awards which is being hosted by Adriana from Perpetual Pages, Chelsea from TheReadingOutlaw, Samantha from Novels and Nonsense, Connor from Connor O'Brien, Elizabeth from Books and Pieces, Kaitlin from Kitty G, Sam from Thoughts on Tomes, Elena from Elena Reads Books, and Thomas from SFF180!

This review will contain major SPOILERS for the original Mistborn trilogy! Please do not con
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
"He held his daughter close against his own broken soul"

Hero of Ages threw me into a massive slump and this happens to be the only book I've been able to read since. Go figure. Thank you, Anji, for giving me the last push! This was everything i didn't even realize I needed in my life. How do I describe this novella? There are no words. This left me awestruck & speechless. I am an emotional slob at the moment. Miraculous. Simply wondrous!

*It's not fair how emotionally invested
i am in this
☽Luna☾
I can't say anything about this book because it is a secret.

description
Daniel Greene
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy Hell I missed this story. Literal chills and all the feels.
Kaitlin
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-sff-faves
With this story Sanderson proves himself, once again, to be a complete master of the Cosmere universe. This is a story which I would strongly not recommend reading unless you want to be majorly spoiled for the main Mistborn series and also get hints at some of the things which happen within the Wax and Wayne series.

In this novella we follow a character that I never really thought I would encounter again and we see their point of view whilst the events of the first three Mistborn books are unfol
Deborah Obida
Spoilers from the original Mistborn trilogy, You need to read those first before reading this.

Need I mention that this is as great as the Trilogy cause it is, The world building, plot and writing is well depicted. Not to mention the whole book is in Kelsier's POV. Yea dead Kelsier who survived death somehow, can't say its a secret.

“I killed you,” the Lord Ruler said. “Twice. Yet you live.”
“Yes. We’re all aware of how strikingly incompetent you are. I’m glad you’re beginning to see it for your
Kogiopsis
Alright, I'm gonna say it: you really shouldn't read this book unless you've read most, if not all, of the rest of the Cosmere. I know Sanderson's intentions are that no book be completely dependent on understanding the full universe, but honestly I can't imagine how swamped with new information a reader would be if they came into this only knowing the Mistborn series. At the very least, in addition to Mistborn up through The Bands of Mourning, I recommend having read Elantris, Shadows for Silen ...more
Scott  Hitchcock
So I have to confess I didn't read this until well after I read the first trilogy because the name misled me. I figured this was going to be an overview about the magic system and world. I had already read up a lot about it on 17th shard and Coppermind so I figured no big hurry. Reading Arcanum Unbounded it was finally time and this was quite the pleasant shock.

I don't want to give too much away so I'll just say it's about Kelsier and what happened to him from the point he sacrificed himself to
Choko
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*** 4.75 ***

"... The Shards,” Khriss said, drawing ____’s attention, “are not God, but they are pieces of God. Ruin, Preservation, Autonomy, Cultivation, Devotion . . . There are sixteen of them.”
“Sixteen,” ______ breathed. “There are fourteen more of these things running around?”
“The rest are on other planets.”
“Other . . .” _____ blinked. “Other planets.”
“Ah, see,” Nazh said. “You’ve broken him already, Khriss.” ..."

With “Mistborn: Secret History” we are once again in a pivotal moment f
Vagner Stefanello
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
There's always another secret.
Franco  Santos
No revelo nada sustancial de la trama; pueden leer esta reseña sin temor a encontrarse con spoilers.

Esta novella es prácticamente el Cosmere entero. Decir algo sobre ella sería arruinarle la lectura a cualquier lector interesado, así que por eso solo voy a decir que en pocas páginas Sanderson logró tocar sin cuidado mis fibras sensibles y me hizo sentir como pocas veces me sentí leyendo un libro. Una vez más este autor me demuestra que su manejo del Cosmere es perfecto. Sabe muy bien lo que hace
Kells Next Read
Ashley
Brandon Sanderson is ridiculous. He's all, here's a surprise novella, and no big deal, the entire thing is made up of such game-changing ridiculous nonsense, you won't even think it's real as you're reading it! You know, just been writing it since 2004 and stuff. It only gives you the most information on the Cosmere that has been released yet. It only changes a shit ton of stuff we assumed about the original trilogy and the Wax and Wayne books. NBD.

Make no mistake here. You should absolutely not
Melody Sams
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thrilled to have more of Kelsier!! Hope to see him more in Sanderson’s universe.
❄️Nani❄️
I’m feeling so much right now. 😣
All those emotions from the Mistborn books have come rushing back, stirring me up all over again. Ugh!

These characters have monopolised my love like no other from the moment I opened The Final Empire. And this novella only solidified it in every sense.

Can you feel utter satisfaction and melancholy all at once? Damn you, Sanderson!
🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌
Layla ✷ Praise the sun ✷
Mistborn: Secret History has so much information in it, it is astounding.
While also being a novella on its own, it's a behind the scenes for several of the major events in the original trilogy, gives us some more insights in the Cosmere, Shards, Realms, and Adonalsium, and it brought me a bit of much appreciated closure.

Two days after finishing this I am still struggling to digest all of its implications, and while it answered a lot of my questions, it also raised several new ones for me, or m
Nikki
The first rule of Mistborn: Secret History is: You do not talk about Mistborn: Secret History.

At least, not in any specific way. To reveal any specifics, even small ones, would be to MAJORLY spoil it. So I'm not gonna do that. But here are three important things to keep in mind:

1) Do not read this novella until you're totally caught up on the Mistborn series through The Bands of Mourning (I know the synopsis says there's just a "minor spoiler" for Bands in M:SH, but I disagree. Strongly). So, if
Iryna *Book and Sword*
Lena K.
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I really liked this one. So much Kelsier! So much Cosmere information! And even a bit of Hoid to spice things up.

“Ideas are never original” Kelsier said. “Only one thing is.”
“And what is that?”
“Style” Kelsier said.
Then he punched Ruin across the face.”

If you’ve read the first Mistborn trilogy, you must read this one too! So much is revealed in this short story, about Scadriel and the Cosmere. We see as the story unfolds ‘behind the scenes’. But definitely don’t read it before finishing Mistbo
Mike
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this book was a complete surprise to me. I had no idea it existed until it started popping up on the GR feed (thanks GR feed!). I also wasn't sure what to expect from this book and from the sound of it neither was Sanderson. He sort of wrote this out over the course of many years and wasn't sure how it would work out once he strung together all the scenes.

First off, if you have not read any of the Mistborn books, avoid this book like the plague. It might as well be called Mistborn: Spoilers
José
Mini-review en español más abajo

5 mind-blowing stars:

The title Secret History isn't a coincidence and the fact that the book doesn't have a proper description makes sense. If anyone reveals anything about the plot in their reviews, first they would be assholes, and second, they would spoil one of the finest stories ever written by Sanderson.

So, I'll only write this: for the love of the Cosmere, read it AFTER finishing The Bands of Mourning (book 6 of the Mistborn series). I know it's listed as
Veronica Morfi
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kristalia
Final rating: 6546546321/5 stars

Deserves every star it can get! Even if it's out of the goodreads scale. The existence of this whole book is a spoiler enough.

But it had everything needed to fill in that small, unnoticeable gaps, the small questions one could only guess. Now we know. And I'm so damn happy. But it also made me sad. This book was actually a journey of feels.

Now, there is this tiny (a.k.a. massive) spoiler for The Bands of Mourning. If you read this before it, then you will unders
Steve
I'm usually not a fan of books written to show another perspective of another popular book or series; it's usually more of a money-grab than anything. In this case, however, I was pleasantly surprised that this wasn't the case. Another perspective, sure, but so much more, and this novella actually helps flesh out the series even more.

Don't read this unless you've read all six Mistborn books! Tons of spoilers here!
TS Chan
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A precious gift straight out of Cosmere heaven.

If you are a fan of the Mistborn series, and particularly of the amazingly intricate construct of the Cosmere, you will love this book and lap it up like the nectar of the gods themselves.

I really can’t say anything more about this book without being spoilery-it's really that much of a secret!

Mr Sanderson-you are a mad genius and we will ever be your loyal and willing subjects.
  • Murder at the Kinnen Hotel (Powder Mage, #0.3)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation
  • The Jester (The Riyria Chronicles #2.5)
  • Unfettered (Unfettered, #1)
  • A Night of Blacker Darkness
  • Word Puppets
Brandon’s major books for the second half of 2016 are The Dark Talent, the final volume in Alcatraz Smedry’s autobiographical account of his battle against the Evil Librarians who secretly rule our world, and Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of short fiction in the Cosmere universe that includes the Mistborn series and the Stormlight
Archive, among others. This collection features The Emperor’s S

Mistborn (7 books)
  • The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)
  • The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)
  • The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)
  • The Alloy of Law (Mistborn, #4)
  • Shadows of Self (Mistborn, #5)
  • The Bands of Mourning (Mistborn, #6)
  • The Lost Metal (Mistborn, #7)
“Oh, hell,” Kelsier said. “There’s actually a God?”
“Yes.”
Kelsier decked him.
It was a good, clean punch, thrown from the shoulder while he brought his other arm up to block a counter strike.”
21 likes
“Spook, child. You want to be like me? Really like me? Then fight when you are beaten!” 10 likes