Start by marking “Never Ending Summer” as Want to Read:
Never Ending Summer

Never Ending Summer

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  107 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Relationships break down between boyfriends, friends, and family, throughout which the author must discover how to maintain a sense of balance. Parties, excessive drinking, and financial instability add to the commotion. Drawn in a beautiful minimal style with delicate two-color printing.
Published April 27th 2004 by Alternative Comics

To ask other readers questions about Never Ending Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Ending Summer

Rebekah Gordon
Oct 20, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Very cute and relatable -- that sort of quiet, deceptively simple style where people are just hanging out, drinking beer and making mix tapes.
Ami
Jan 03, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2010
Art was OK. Plot was tragically uninteresting. A girl says goodbye to her boyfriend, who is going home for a break. He decides to be away the whole summer and distances himself from her. We learn that he is sort of wrapped up in his ex-girlfriend. The main character spends the summer working at a comic book store. She hangs out with her friends, who like to listen to records and drink and talk about who is dating whom. She meets a new boy. We learn he is also wrapped up in his ex-girlfriend. The ...more
Scott Kleinpeter
1/3 adorable, but reminds me of the lady version of Regular Show. An endless cycle of going outs and breaking ups. This is a fair look at the class of person who is responsible enough to not do drugs and maintain and job, but not responsible enough to move past their own self interests and lukewarm hedonism.
Courtney
Sep 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Girls hating boys, drinking beer, and listening to records.

Overall a pretty fair coming-of-age in your 20s kind of book. Simple and honest, Cole looks at a bad summer for relationships and a good summer for self-discovery. The dialog isn't brilliant. In fact it's often bad. But the characters pull the book through.

Cole's obvious weakness, in my mind, is her handwriting/illustration style. It's unbearably cute. Even when she writes "beer" in her curly cue cursive it reads like "slumber party!"
Nicky
Mar 13, 2016 rated it liked it
The plot isn't really the point of this book. It tells the story of a twentysomething summer that uses little moments between friends (that look like yetis or bears, btw) to do so. I feel like other graphic novels capture the restlessness and poignancy of being in the suburbs as a not-child-not-parent better--Daniel Clowes and Nicole Georges come to mind--but it was a fun read that, for a bit, brought me a couple years back to drinking and wondering "will they or won't they?" for all of my frien ...more
HeavyReader
Jun 07, 2008 rated it it was ok
The story here is about a young woman whose boyfriend type person is supposed to only be gone a couple of weeks, but once he leaves decides to go to Australia for the whole summer. He tells her this decision via telephone. Much drinking of alcohol and young adult angst follows.

All of the characters are drawn as sort of Weebles with legs and only slightly different features like hair and glasses. These Weebles with legs creatures are kind of cute, but hard to differentiate. I spent the whole book
Lori
Nov 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Yes, this is a graphic novel. Not so much my speed, I know. But I love this book. I don't know why. Maybe it's because I feel like I know everyone she's writing / drawing about. It's real, it speaks volumes (even when there aren't words), it's endearing. You can read it in under an hour, and then read it over and over. That Allison Cole. I'm a fan.
jessica
Oct 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: lovers of comics
this made me want to work in a comic book store, but one which sold only allison cole books. aaand i kind of wanted all of my friends to have animal heads like her friends in the book.
this reminds me of sitting at the kitchen table with cherie, talkin' comics.
Claire
Nov 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
cuuuuuuuute. and the end is kind of empowering. it's nice to get a female spin on the battlefield of love after all the scott pilgrims and the jeff browns that dominate the self-consciously emo comic book world. it's nice to relate to drawn little smooshy people.
Kate
Apr 29, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphicnovels
The fact that the characters in this book were so indistinguishable bugged me a little. The slight differences between them is signified mostly by hairstyle or the presence of glasses. Strange artwork...I like the story though, a post-breakup, redemption plot...Reminded me of High Fidelity.
Oneblackcloud
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
ouch to my heart
Tienlyn
May 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My favorite graphic novel off all time. Ok it's tied but seriously, this book is perfect. Sweet, sincere, and open.
Callie
Oct 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Jeffrey Brown
Recommended to Callie by: Jay thought it looked like something I would like.
It reminded me of my early 20's.

And I enjoyed the artwork- cute stuff!
Jen
Feb 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
nicole
Mar 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alltimefavs
the best post-break-up comic ever!
Lilly
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another book on my graphic novel binge. I got drawn into the world of these kids trying to sort themselves and their loves out over the course of one summer. So beautiful.
Aneesa
May 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Brian
Recommended to Aneesa by: Ben P.
This is a quiet, northwestern comic about girls who drink beer and make mixtapes. I had a hard time telling the characters apart.
Stephanie