Start by marking “Ever Faithful (Vintage National Parks, #3)” as Want to Read:
Ever Faithful (Vintage National Parks, #3)

Ever Faithful

(Vintage National Parks #3)

Vibrant historic Yellowstone National Park comes to life in this romantic mystery about a man hiding the truth, braving the west to become something more--and the woman who must confront his deception.

A man who can't read will never amount to anything--or so Nate Webber believes. But he takes a chance to help his family by signing up for the new Civilian Conservation Corps
Expected publication: June 18th 2019 by WaterBrook (first published June 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Ever Faithful, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ever Faithful

Abigail
Even though this wasn't my favorite book out of the three, this was still was a pretty darn good book. Karen Barnett has a knack for writing amazing historical fiction that keep me reading.

I have been to Yellowstone and have seen most of these geysers. The thing that I love the most about these books is the fact that I have been to these places (thank you, parents). I know exactly where and what a lot of the things look like without having to think really hard.

The characters also are what make
Betty
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was a pleasure to read the third book in the Vintage National Parks books. It takes place in Yellowstone Park which I have been to several times over the years. It is one of the best I have read. I didn't want to put it down and found myself reading late into the night to finish it. It covers FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT'S Conversation Civilian Crops CCC. I have heard of them and seen some of their work but I never knew much about it. Elise Brooks, daughter of a park ranger is working as a pillow pu ...more
Rachael
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed taking a trip to Yellowstone to “see” the geysers and enjoy a story with such a beautiful setting. The characters are well done, the time in which it takes place as well as the place are quite unique, and an interesting twist to the plot made this all a very intriguing and delightful story.
Honestly, I would so like to see this series continue. All the books have been wonderful. It isn’t likely I’ll ever see these beautiful places at the National Parks so I was thrilled to be a
Clara
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Karen Barnett has joined two of my favourite things in the vintage spark series: history and the outdoors 💚 I couldn’t be more excited every time I pick one of these books up.

Ever Faithful is a very appropriate title for this book. When dreams are put on hold or deferred, can we still find steadfastness to never give up?

Elsie knows hard work to achieve her dreams. Carrying the scars of childhood trauma, she’s determined not to let them stop her from being a teacher, even as she hides behind slee
Lydia Howe
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
WHY I CHOOSE THIS BOOK

I read a book by the author a few years ago and although I didn't really like it, I wanted to give the author another chance. Plus, one of my dream destinations is Yellowstone, so to read a book that takes place there sounded like just my thing.

WHAT I THOUGHT ABOUT THIS BOOK

All throughout the book I was so into it. The culture surrounding working at Yellowstone was spot-on (or at least I imagine it was). it pulled me into the world there and felt so real. Even though I had
Sarah Monzon
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Yay! I’m so glad the author decided to write one of her national park books featuring the CCC. Those men did so much for the park service and I don’t think a lot of people even know about them or much of that time in history. 🌸
Karen R
An engaging story set in magnificent Yellowstone National Park during the 1930's.
A group of brand new recruits in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) join up with the staff at Yellowstone for a season of seriously hard work, and personal learning experiences like they've never dreamed. A mystery, adventure, action, and romance with some realistic characters made this a satisfying read clear through to the end.

I loved the character of Nate, and how his integrity, humility, sincerity and hard
Alisha
May 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ongoing-series
While I enjoyed the writing and thought the characters were enjoyable, something about the plot wasn't quite as compelling to me as the previous two books in this National Parks series. Having read those books, I was also expecting a little more of a wow factor in the setting. This time, the scenery took a back seat. Normally I wouldn't mind that, but it feels like such a hallmark of this series that the curtailment was noticeable. Still, it's a fun and pleasant story.

Elsie Brookes works as a ma
Trisha Robertson (Joy of Reading)
See full review at: https://joyofreadingweb.wordpress.com...

I enjoyed traveling to Yellowstone National Park with Karen Barnett within the pages of Ever Faithful. Seeing the geysers and spectacular wildlife of Yellowstone has been on my bucket list for many years. And while I have not physically visited the park and left my bootprints there, this story is so vivid and realistic, I felt like I traveled to 1950’s Yellowstone.

The dynamic characters of this story drew me in and had me eagerly turnin
Maria
"Received an Advance Reader Copy in exchange for a fair review"
This is a captivating historical novel, with an unusual and beautiful setting and authentic characters, struggling with realistic issues such as poverty and unemployment.
It is a fabulous journey through Yellowstone National Park in the 1930s, but also about social, economical and ecological matters of this era.
I loved Nate, “the quiet, green-eyed man”, so full of qualities and strength yet unaware of it, struggling and suffering with
Deana
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can we all first just stop and admire this cover!? I just love it! Coming June 18th, is Karen Barnett's new novel, Ever Faithful, the third book in the National Parks Series.

Elsie is a worker in Yellowstone National Park where her father is a park ranger. Elsie enjoys her job in the park, but she also wants to branch out and further her education. She dreams of a life as a teacher and wants to make a difference in peoples' lives. However, she struggles with a tragedy that that she suffered as a
BlueJeansAndTeacups
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
***Kept Me Guessing***
Yellowstone Natl Park, WY, 1933
This story focuses on the Pack Rats, Pillow Punchers, and Pearl Divers also known as the park’s hotel staff, or Savages (smile) as well as some Rangers, and President Roosevelt’s new Civilian Conservation Corps (the CCC).

22-year old Elsie Brookes has been working summers to save enough money to earn a teaching degree and go to college like her friend’s Mary and Rose.
Teddy Vaughn is a new ranger who gives her stomach flutters, but she needs to
Susan
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it

Karen Barnett hit a home run with this third book of the series. Each book in this series can be read as a standalone. Barnett offers her readers a nostalgic story set in one of my favorite parks, Yellowstone. Her experience as a former park ranger bred a love for the parks that shine through her vivid descriptions of the natural beauty and unique features of Yellowstone. While she has included a lot of history of the early parks, I as a reader was enthralled by the story. I always lear
Susan Wachtel
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ever Faithful by Karen Barnett – A Real Gem

I love finding books by authors whose work is new to me. I found a real gem in Karen Barnett’s new book Ever Faithful, which is the third book in the Vintage National Parks Novel series.

Reading Ever Faithful was like a breath of fresh air. Obviously, the setting of the novel in Yellowstone National Park in the 1930s brings a whole different feel to the book. The pace of the story is relaxed and enjoyable and I feel like the characters were unveiled slo
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am loving the Vintage National Park series by Karen Barnett. In book three of the series, Ever Faithful, the author takes the reader on a historical romantic and suspenseful trip through the breath-taking National Park that is called Yellowstone.

Elsie Brookes is a park ranger’s daughter and a veteran maid serving in Yellowstone’s hotels. She dreams of becoming a teacher and wants to go to college but hasn’t saved quite enough money yet. When an opportunity arises to take on a second job withi
LA
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
BOOK REVIEW: Ever Faithful (A Vintage National Parks Novel)
BY: Karen Barnett
Another great delivery by Karen Barnett with her third Vintage National Parks novel. She so capably captures the beauty of Yellowstone National Park through the written word that the reader can almost see and appreciate the natural beauty of the park during the 1930s. One can comfortably travel the trails of Yellowstone from their overstuffed lazy-boy at home.
The story follows New Yorker Nate Webber, who can’t seem to do
Mary
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Join me for an adventurous tale that takes the reader on a ramble through another of our nation’s great national parks, Yellowstone, for a peek at park life during the 1930’s. Karen Barnett once again constructs a unique novel set during a trying time in our nation’s history, the Great Depression, and integrates faith, fiction, and historical background and detail into the core of the story.

April 1933 finds Nate Webber, a young man from Brooklyn, New York, headed west to Yellowstone to fulfill
SantaFlash
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book three in the Vintage National Parks, Ever Faithful's primary setting is Yellowstone National Park. I picked up this novel because of the cover for starters. I've actually never been to Yellowstone. I love visiting National Parks, so this one is definitely on my list. Reading the descriptions of sights to see, including Old Faithful, the various waterfalls, and even the hotels, may spark the desire to take a trip. So be warned!

Ever Faithful follows two main characters: The first is Nate Webb
Julie D.
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is book three in the Vintage National Parks series. It's a stand-alone book set in Yellowstone during the Great Depression.

Elsie has grown up in Yellowstone with her Park Ranger father and a mother who has health problems. The death of her little sister weighs heavy on her mind and she blames her cousin who accidentally set the fire as a child. We see her wrestle with this dilemma when her parents bring her cousin into the park to work after the death of his parents. This was a very good pa
Sally
Three young women find their lives transformed forever in this coming of age tale set in Yellowstone National Park during the Great Depression.

Karen Barnett’s third novel in her Vintage National Parks series explores what happens when young men from the big cities find themselves in the middle of nowhere. There’s little to entertain them except for the female workers they meet and, as expected, nothing goes smoothly. One woman has recently broken up with her boyfriend, while another has relatio
Bethany
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes the beauty of God’s creation takes my breath away. Yellowstone National Park is a place of incredible views that can draw one closer to their Creator. I wish I could say that I have been there in person, but even looking at pictures is stunning. The majesty of Yellowstone National Park is what initially drew me to Karen Barnett’s newest novel, Ever Faithful.

I am one to finish a good fiction novel in 2-3 days at most, and this book was no exception. I enjoyed the clean romance between N
Kelsey
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Karen Barnett has delivered another beautifully written, immersive, visually descriptive, and all around lovely read. "Ever Faithful" is the third book in the Vintage National Parks series, and it is just as good as the previous two.

The main characters, Nate and Elsie, are both loveable and relatable. Barnett always seems to make all of her characters believable, and the secondary characters are just as good, or sometimes even more endearing than the main ones.

The bit of mystery that is the driv
Cathy Cermele
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved visiting Yellowstone National Park and I didn't have to leave my home. The author has taken me to National Parks in this series and I have loved each and every visit. In Ever Faithful it was not only the scenery that I loved but the characters, too.

That's not to say that I haven't loved the others in the previous books because I have but Elsie Brookes and Nate Webber were humble, charming and likeable keeping me engaged throughout. There is plenty of action taking place with suspicious
Sherri Smith
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
So when I started this book I was unaware that it was a part of a series. There is no notations on the book or anywhere within it that says, book #3. It's only after reading other people's reviews and I aware of this.

However, I did discover that each story had its own national park so each story takes place at a different park and its own set of circumstances and people. Therefore, I didn't have to dive into an already developed plot.

That said, this story is about Elsie and her life at Yellowsto
Brittany
Ever Faithful was such an interesting story! The author transported me not only to Yellowstone National Park, but also back in time to the 1930’s. Her descriptions of park life and the day to day workings of the park was fascinating. She also did a great job of creating characters who were complex, with difficult decisions weighing on them.

Both Nate and Elsie struggled with feelings of inferiority. They each had different reasons for feeling the way they did and both had growing to do within the
CoffeeBreakBooks
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ever Faithful is a very compelling historical set in the spectacular Yellowstone National Park in 1933, with the additional story backdrop of the Great Depression and the CCC workers of Roosevelt's New Deal program. This third novel in the series is just as beautifully descriptive and entertaining as the first. As one who appreciates history and loves to travel to the national parks and mountains, I am very pleased by the depth of the author's historic and topographic research. The tension and f ...more
Carol
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 Stars for Ever Faithful (Vintage National Parks, #3) by Karen Barnett! Great writing and story. Danger, intrigue and romance with a twist I wasn't expecting. I haven't been to Yellowstone but with Karen's descriptions of the beauty of the park I would love to visit. This book takes place during time of "The New Deal" when the Civilian Conservation Corps was established to help young men find jobs and learn a trade. Nate Webber has come from Brooklyn to work in Yellowstone and is trying to ...more
Jeff
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Solid Summer Romance- even for the RWA purist crowd. ;) This is a summer romance that is technically historical fiction and is marketed as Christian fiction. It has an HEA, so the Romance Writers of America purist crowd (who demand that) will be happy. It does an excellent job of highlighting Yellowstone Park during the 1930s, so the historical fiction crowd should have something to sink their teeth into as well. The "Christian" side of it isn't overly preachy, more just normal people of that er ...more
Susan
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh these national park stories are the BEST! Another one that throws you deep into the Yellowstone park and gives you some great highlights and info you didn’t know while weaving the story of love and friendship in those times. Nate’s struggle is written so well that you just want to hug him and help him out. Elsie wants a career during a time when it wasn’t hugely popular and the way these two have sparks flying is just swoon worthy. So much wonderful history and dialogue that was used by the w ...more
Mitzi
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It is the 3rd book in Karen Barnett's National Park series. You do not need to read the other 2 first - this certainly could stand alone.

I absolutely love the history and research that go into books like this one. I have been to Yellowstone so it is neat to revisit (even if only through words).

FDR created the CCC to get the unemployed back to work during the depression. This book explains that plan and how it was implemented through the National Parks.

I would definitely re
« previous 1 3 next »
Karen Barnett is the award-winning author of the Golden Gate Chronicles (Out of the Ruins, Beyond the Ashes, Through the Shadows) and MISTAKEN. She lives in Oregon with her husband, two kids, and a bevy of furry friends. You can learn more about Karen's writing journey at http://www.KarenBarnettBooks.com.

Vintage National Parks (3 books)
  • The Road to Paradise (Vintage National Parks, #1)
  • Where the Fire Falls (Vintage National Parks, #2)