Start by marking “A Rule Against Murder (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #4)” as Want to Read:
A Rule Against Murder (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #4)

A Rule Against Murder

(Chief Inspector Armand Gamache #4)

4.20  ·  Rating details ·  51,547 ratings  ·  4,014 reviews
"What happened here last night isn't allowed," said Madame Dubois.
It was such an extraordinary thing to say it stopped the ravenous Inspector Beauvoir from taking another bite of his roast beef on baguette.
"You have a rule against murder?" he asked.
"I do. When my husband and I bought the Bellechasse we made a pact....Everything that stepped foot on this land would be safe.
Published January 20th 2009 by Minotaur (first published 2008)
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about A Rule Against Murder, please sign up.
Susan Stemont No! They finally got out of Three Pines, too (tho some characters recur) which I think is a good move. (Maybe next time there will even be fewer descr…moreNo! They finally got out of Three Pines, too (tho some characters recur) which I think is a good move. (Maybe next time there will even be fewer descriptions of food.)(less)
George Enjoyable, yes, occasionally humorous, but "fun" is the wrong word. Despite qualifying as cozies, these are not the kinds of books that benefit from h…moreEnjoyable, yes, occasionally humorous, but "fun" is the wrong word. Despite qualifying as cozies, these are not the kinds of books that benefit from having recipes, knitting patterns, or life-organization tips added--and a good thing, too!(less)

·  51,547 ratings  ·  4,014 reviews

Start your review of A Rule Against Murder (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #4)
Lori
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy this series, I'm never quite as happy when it moves too far away from Three Pines. I re-read this one because a new edition came up on the library's new bookshelf. And, all that I remembered well was that's the one with (view spoiler). Besides, beloved and departed Ralph Cosham narrated it.

***********************************************

How is it the people in this series eat the way they do and aren't all built like weebles! I couldn't smell all the de
Erica
Previously on Goodreads, my review for book 3

You know?
These are really growing on me.
Thanks, Mom!

So, here's a stupid conversation I had with my mom last week while we were sitting in the waiting room between doctor's appointments.
Me: "Oh, hey, I'm listening to the next Louise Penny book."
Mom (perks up): "Which one?"
Me: "It's either the fourth or the fifth. It's the one that takes place in the lodge out in the wilderness and there are snotty rich people there while Gamache and his wife, Rene Mari
Thomas
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canada-crime
3.5 stars rounded up. This is book 4 in the Armand Gamache series and I recommend that you read them in order, as there are continuing plot developments. I thought that the first 100 pages were rather slow. My wife read this book before me and she thinks 4 stars and says that the author spends time developing intricate characters/plot lines. She savors each page. The first 90 pages have Armand and his wife Reine-Marie enjoying a well deserved vacation from his job as Chief Inspector of the Homic ...more
Adina
Dec 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, canada
Wow, it took me a while to write a review. Sorry Guys.

As you can imagine, if I got to no.4 I really like this series. Then why only 3 stars? Hmm, I think I wanted a break from Three Pines which it was but not totally as you will see if you read this one. Also I did not feel the motive behind the murder was strong enough. However, the series is still awesome and will continue with it.

Why I love this series:
- the characters; I just love Inspector Gamache, his team and some of the inhabitants of
Phrynne
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Number 4 in the series and I actually enjoyed it a little less than the first three. It may be because I listened to this one on audio and I found the narrator annoying - he had a lovely voice and a beautiful French accent but he read in a kind of staccato, the words jumping out instead of flowing. Or it may be because the book itself was a little weaker than the earlier ones.
Armand Gamache was his usual charming self and this time his charming wife was very much in evidence too. It was a good t
Beata
Dec 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed another encounter with Armand, learning a bit more about his family history and following his investigation, however, I found previous books a little more mysterious and, yes, interesting... Taking a little break from the series, but I'll continue reading the series.
PattyMacDotComma
4.5★
“The Morrows seemed to believe there was a special code that allowed them to say what they liked about others, deliberately within their hearing, without it’s being discourteous.

‘Isn’t that the ugliest baby you’ve ever seen?’

‘You shouldn’t wear white if you’re fat.’

‘She’d be prettier if she didn’t scowl all the time.’

The last had been said about her, on her wedding day, as she’d walked down the aisle smiling and joyful on her father’s arm.

The Morrows could be counted on to use the right fo
Matt
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Matt by: Marty Fried
Shelves: audiobook
Louise Penny’s Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series continues to get better as I binge my way through the collection. The detail and bucolic nature of the pieces invite me to keep reading, as though I have developed an addiction for all that is Gamache. Chief Inspector Gamache accompanies his wife, Reine-Marie, to their annual retreat for a chance to recharge. Upon arrival at Manoir Bellechasse, the Gamaches learn that they will not have the solitude to which they are accustomed, as a family re ...more
Brenda
Chief Inspector Armand Gamache and his wife Reine-Marie had been holidaying at the Manoir Bellechasse for many years, and this latest visit would be to celebrate their wedding anniversary. The large group also at the Manoir, and having a family reunion were not a nice bunch of people, but Armand and Reine-Marie did their best to stay out of their way.

Until the night of a violent storm when the aftermath uncovered a dead body. Immediately Armand became the Chief Inspector, calling in his team of
Anirudh
May 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Anirudh by: Neena
I began reading this book with high expectations. It had received a lot of praise and high ratings. So naturally I was eager to unravel its mysteries. But unfortunately, it was a letdown. I am not sure whether the author was trying to write a crime thriller or a family drama. I would not call this a thriller, as there is no thrill. None what so ever. There were a few good points and a lot of bad points which made me give this book 2 stars. SPOILER ALERTS!!!

POSITIVE POINTS

1. Setting. The prot
Barbara
Aug 31, 2019 rated it liked it

In this 4th book in the 'Chief Inspector Armand Gamache' series, the Canadian detective investigates a very puzzling case. The book can be read as a standalone.

*****

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, head of homicide for the Sûreté du Québec is celebrating his 35th wedding anniversary. To commemorate the happy occasion Gamache and his librarian wife Reine-Marie are enjoying a vacation at the upscale Manoir Bellechasse near the village of Three Pines - where many of their quirky friends liv
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: ... there was something unnatural about the Manoir Bellechasse from the very beginning. It was staggeringly beautiful, the stripped logs golden and glowing. It was made of wood and wattle and sat right at the water's edge. It commanded Lake Massawippi, as the Robber Barons commanded everything. These captains of industry couldn't seem to help it.

And once a year, men with names like Andrew and Douglas and Charles would leave their rail and whiskey empires, trade their spats for chewed l
Mona
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Enjoyable Chief Inspector Gamache Mystery

Book Four of Louise Penny's Chief Inspector Gamache series, "A Rule Against Murder", unlike the previous books, is not set in the picturesque Quebecois village of Three Pines (although the protagonists do pay Three Pines a visit).

Instead, most of the action occurs at the Manoir Bellechasse, a luxurious and remote Quebec Inn (patterned on the real Hovey Manor).

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the homicide division of the Montreal Surete and his wi
Richard Derus
Sep 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'm mad at Louise Penny because of book #5 in the Three Pines/Chief Inspector Gamache mysteries, and I want to take it out on her now, but in fairness I just can't. I loved this book as much as I expected to. I thought that moving the action out of Three Pines would make me grumpy, but instead it made me feel, more than ever, that I want to live in Three Pines because Manoir Bellechasse is close for those times I need to get away from the hectic hustle and bustle of Three Pines (snort).

The Gamac
Jim
One of the wonderful things about a Louise Penny novel is that it is not just a whodunit. The reader needs to figure out how it was done ... as are Chief Inspector Armand Gamache and his team. In A Fatal Grace the victim was electrocuted in the middle of a frozen lake, in front of the entire village. In The Cruelest Month the victim dies during a séance. The author delivers another murder most unusual in this story.

Armand and Reine-Marie Gamache are celebrating their 35th wedding anniversary at
Margitte
Chief Inspector Gamache and his wife Reine-Marie, are celebrating their thirty-five-year wedding anniversary by staying at Manoir Bellechasse for a few days. The rich, cultured, respectable Finney family, an old- or no money family, living in a meritocracy, graces their presence in this remote auberge. One of the family's members desrcibes the family as “seven mad Morrows in a verchère”. The matriarch was now a Finney, but was actually still a Marrow in many ways. So much so, that she wanted a s ...more
Paula
Louise Penny is a master in the murder mystery genre. A Rule Against Murder, the fourth in her Chief Inspector Gamache series, takes us places in the minds of her characters like no other writer out there.

The setting for this book is different from her usual Three Pines. The Gamaches are at a resort in the wilderness celebrating their anniversary. Here we get to meet the Finneys for a family reunion, and an interesting one at that. We meet a family full of abuse and cruelty for themselves and e
Carol
Sep 15, 2016 added it
Shelves: series, fiction
Seems I've never wrote a review about the 4th in Penny's Chief Inspector Armand Gamache. Oh well, there's plenty of other reviews. I do remember liking it as Three Pines is like coming home.
Heidi The Reader
Aug 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
When a body is discovered near a retreat in the woods, Chief Inspector Armand Gamache happens to be staying at the Manoir Bellechasse, the lodge, with his lovely wife, Reine-Marie. Now, their peaceful get-away has devolved into a murder investigation. Someone at the hotel is a killer.

Can Gamache figure out who before it's too late?

"But just as their waffles arrived they heard a faraway sound, something so unexpected it took Gamache a moment to recognize it. It was a scream." pg 84

As delightful a
Kylie H
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, great-read
Number 4 in the Armand Gamache series and once again a great mystery.
It is a bit disappointing that the village of Three Pines is on the periphery of this book, but on the other hand we learn more about the Chief Inspector Gamache and his past, as well as Peter Morrow who I have never really taken to.
This story is set in a quiet retreat, an exclusive manor in the Canadian wilderness. Gamache and his wife are there to celebrate their wedding anniversary. However the descent of the 'Finney's' who
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it

A wedding anniversary celebration for Armand and Reine-Marie and a family reunion at Manoir Bellechasse for the Morrow family bring Louise Penny's familiar characters back to beautiful Three Pines and along with the characters comes a murder.

The Morrow family is known to not have much love for each other. When a marble statue is brought into the pristine landscape, questions are raised about why it is there. A thunderstorm brings a tragic surprise to mar the statue's meaning.

A RULE AGAINST MURDE
Holly
The mystery was perhaps not as interesting as in previous books in this series but that is completely overshadowed by getting to see the inner workings of Peter Morrow's family. I always thought he had some underlying issues with how jealous he could be of his wonderful wife Clara so this book explains a lot! Getting to learn more about Armand Gamache's family is a pleasant bonus. Love this series.
Katie Ziegler (Life Between Words)
I. Love. Armand. Gamache. And I loved the deepening of his character in this book, especially the longer glimpse we got into his marriage and his family history. He's just such a wonderful man and I love spending time with him. It's refreshing given the penchant for really tortured detectives you so often find. Armand isn't good at his job because he's coming from a place of turmoil and moral ambiguity, he's good at his job because he's compassionate and wise. I love that. The writing is beautif ...more
Ivonne Rovira
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been hooked on Louise Penny's Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series since I read her debut novel, Still Life. Yet, as great as the novels have been, A Rule Against Murder still somehow manages to top all of the previous ones.

As ever, Penny plots out an interesting murder mystery that keeps you guessing until the end. However, what truly will delight the reader are the secrets revealed about Peter Morrow's well-to-do family and one about Armand Gamache himself. The theme of when to remember
Susan Meissner
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You can't go wrong with an Inspector Gamache mystery. Loved this quote near the end, after one character tells Inspector Gamache that each of us is blessed, each of us is blighted: "Every day each of us does our sums. The question is, what do we count?' Such wisdom there...
joyce g
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honeybees make an entrance into this grand world.
Camie
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
While Inspector Gamache and his wife Reine-Marie are celebrating their 35 th Anniversary at the spectacularly isolated Manoir Bellechase, the extended members of the eccentric and wealthy Morrow/Finney family show up for an ill fated family reunion. To honor their late father there is a grand statue unveiling and (because this is book #4 of Louise Penny's series) naturally a dead body is also discovered at the scene.
As usual Gamache is dashing and wise as he and his team go about solving the ca
Britany
May 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, 2020
Another murder for Inspector Armand Gamache to solve. Who knew this one would test him physically as well as revealing some familial details about his parents and grandparents.

The scene is set at the Bellechasse Manor, where Armand and Reine-Marie are celebrating their anniversary. A storm rolls in and a statue falls over, killing one of the guests. Except, alas! It wasn't an accident. For whatever reason, this took me so much longer to finish than I would've liked. This is probably my least fa
Jeff Grosser
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've been lucky enough to read these wonderful mysteries during the time of year when they take place. The descriptions are so warm & cozy that I feel like I am right there with Chief Inspector Gamache, and we are working to solve the murder together. The next book in the series, The Brutal Telling, appears to take place in the fall so I will read it then.

I was also able to learn a couple of things in this book: 1) Count your blessings. 2) Never use the first stall in a public restroom.
Kirsten
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best in the series so far. We get a glimpse into the background of Chief Inspector Gamache as well as seeing Madame Gamache.

The background to Peter Morrow was interesting as well. An inn - or auberge - is the setting. So you basically have an English Country House mystery set in the wilds of Quebec. Lovely. The mystery was well plotted - as usual - and the suspects were all very suspicious... down the odd girl/boy with the legumatic name.

Great read!
Play Book Tag: (POLL BALLOT) A Rule Against Murder / Louise Penny - 3.5*** 1 5 Jun 13, 2020 12:29PM
Penny Pushers: FINAL DISCUSSION! Spoilers are fair game! 6 26 Mar 04, 2018 05:46PM
Penny Pushers: Chapter 25 - Chapter 28 6 13 Mar 04, 2018 06:41AM
Penny Pushers: Chapter 21 - Chapter 24 6 14 Mar 04, 2018 04:37AM
Penny Pushers: Chapter 17 - Chapter 20 8 20 Mar 03, 2018 09:41PM

• The Dutch House
  • A Share in Death (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #1)
  • Maisie Dobbs (Maisie Dobbs, #1)
  • Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, #2)
  • The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek
  • The Jane Austen Society
  • This Tender Land
  • Pardonable Lies (Maisie Dobbs, #3)
  • The Glass Hotel
  • Louise Penny Series Reading Order
  • The Long Call (Two Rivers, #1)
  • All Shall Be Well (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #2)
  • Messenger of Truth (Maisie Dobbs, #4)
  • Olive, Again
  • The Giver of Stars
  • The Lager Queen of Minnesota
  • Redhead by the Side of the Road
  • The River
LOUISE PENNY is the author of the #1 New York Times and Globe and Mail bestselling series of Chief Inspector Armand Gamache novels. She has won numerous awards, including a CWA Dagger and the Agatha Award (seven times), and was a finalist for the Edgar Award for Best Novel. In 2017, she received the Order of Canada for her contributions to Canadian culture. Louise lives in a small village south of ...more

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #1)
  • A Fatal Grace (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #2)
  • The Cruelest Month (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #3)
  • The Brutal Telling (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #5)
  • Bury Your Dead (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #6)
  • A Trick of the Light (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #7)
  • The Beautiful Mystery (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #8)
  • How the Light Gets In (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #9)
  • The Long Way Home (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #10)
  • The Nature of the Beast (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #11)